The Scent of Parchment & Squid Ink (Kalyan / Ali)

A place for the Learning Ranks to socialize and mingle.
Lou
"The Fires of Heaven"
PC: Tamora el'Galina (Aes Seadi)
SC: Talithia (Accepted)
TC: Dianlinn (Ji'val)

The Scent of Parchment & Squid Ink (Kalyan / Ali)

Post by Lou » February 4th, 2020, 9:42 am

The sun had begun to set and a chill wind was sweeping through the Mountains of Mist, letting announcing the coming of winter to those it swirled around. Dianlinn was one of those people, coming from her dorm room, freshly bathed after her day on the training grounds. She had been tested finally on spear work, and she was proud to show them that she was no novice in that department. She was sure she had done her Spear Sisters proud, and gave her a deep sense of peace for the time being. She did not think it would last long, but it was for the moment, and she would take what she could get.

She made her way into the Tower proper, and towards the only other place that she liked to be. The Library. She was indebted to Kalyan for finding out she could use this place, and giving her the wonder of all these books. The first time he had brought her here she had just stared around, her mouth hanging open and her eyes wide. It was beautiful, and she had not even known there were this many books in the world, and to know this was just a fraction of them was a giant surprise. The smell of the paper and leather, the stink of the ink, it was amazing, and it had left her quite stupefied.

She was a regular there now, whenever she found herself some free time. She borrows books on all subjects, and the ones she could not take out of the Library, she would find herself a nice comfortable corner and curl up on the floor to read quietly.

Today she was there to return two books, and look for some more. She was finding more and more about the Wetlands than she had thought possible, and while it was still strange, it was nice to know that she could get her questions answered without looking stupid in front of others. She stood at the desk for a moment, moving forward when the Accepted before her had moved away, and returned the books she had read. The Aes Sedai marked them on a list, and gestured for her to move along. With a nod, she did, and began to move around the section of the Library that was dedicated on the Blight. She needed to know details on one of her biggest enemies.
Image Image Image

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Liaran Sedai, Blue Ajah
SC: Amaranie Sedai, Indigo Ajah
TC: Kalyan Rihera, Yellow Ajah

Re: The Scent of Parchment & Squid Ink (Kalyan / Ali)

Post by Alianora » February 6th, 2020, 11:23 pm

Dedicated Kalyan
Fading sunlight filtered through the small windows of the library, leaving pools of gold on the wooden floors. It was in one of these sunny spots that Kalyan had paused to adjust the pile of heavy books he carried, which were dangerously close to sliding out of his grasp. For a minute, the Dedicated balanced them carefully in one arm, using the other to push back the volumes that were threatening to fall. Wrapping both arms around the stack, he pulled them in closer to his body, then hurried away, hoping to get back to his room without any further struggles.

At this hour, the library was slowly emptying, but he still passed more than a few people as he headed towards the main door. Most were busily looking through the shelves or seated at the tables scattered around the area, but as he continued on his way, Kalyan was distracted by two young-sounding voices carrying on a conversation just loud enough to disturb anyone who was trying to work nearby. A glance down the row where the sound was coming from revealed two girls in white with their heads bent towards each other, sitting in the middle of the aisle and chatting away.

Kalyan sighed. Correcting the younger members of the Tower in minor things like this was one of the many responsibilities of being Dedicated, but it wasn't one he enjoyed. He'd barely gotten two steps down the aisle before one of the novices lifted her head and saw him coming. The girl's dark eyes grew wide, and she tugged on her friend's sleeve, pulling the other novice up as she scrambled to her feet. With two hastily bobbed curtsies, the novices disappeared at as close to a run as they could get away with inside.

He shook his head and readjusted the books he was carrying, hating how his new rank seemed to be so intimidating to some of the novices and Soldiers. It wasn't something he tried to be, nor something he wanted to be, but it still seemed to happen, all because of one little silver pin on his collar. Even some of his old friends avoided him, and that hurt. He shook his head, trying not to think about it as he stepped out of the aisle to move on.

He hadn't gotten much further when he caught sight of a familiar tall figure. He very rarely crossed paths with Dianlinn, but if he did see her, it was usually here. Still, it had been some time since that had happened, and he set down his books on a nearby table before moving towards her. He smiled as he did, and when he was close enough to speak quietly yet still be heard, he whispered, "It's nice to see you here, Dianlinn. Are you spending this evening studying, or just reading for fun?"

Lou
"The Fires of Heaven"

Post by Lou » February 17th, 2020, 3:50 pm

Dianlinn knew people were walking around her in the stacks, but she did not worry herself with looking up to watch them. It was hardly like an attack would come in such a place. She had heard that the Brown Ajah would turn to face a hoard of rampaging Shadowtwisted if they were trying to protect their books. So the random attacks that were now the norm for a Ji would not likely be happening here. She had been warned such things could happen, to teach them to be on their toes at all times. This was a normal state for her, in the Threefold Lan trouble could come from any shadow. But here and now, she was sure she was safe.

When a voice sounded off to one side, Dianlinn looked to the left and saw a familiar face. Though there was one major difference, he was now a Dedicated and not just a Soldier. Dianlinn had been pleased for her friend who had passed the test and been raised in rank. She knew he deserved such things, and she celebrated in his success, as one should who would be called friend. She was only newly raised to the rank to Ji herself, and she was finding the change hard. She could run classes for the Drin, teach them to fight, and they hopped to attention for her. A silly Wetlander thing, but it did amuse her nonetheless.

"I see you, Dedicated Kalyan Rihera, I hope you find shade this day." She still could not get out of the habit of greeting those as if she were back home. When she tried the Wetlander greetings it sounded weird in the mouth, like the grit of sand. If Kalyan minded, he had never told her such. She glanced to the shelves and then back to the man next to her. He had a kind face, but she was sure she could see small lines where there had not been any before. She had heard the Test to Dedicated was hard on the subject, and she hoped that he was well, on the inside. Some hurts did not leave scars.

"I am here to learn about the Shadowwrought, in all their forms. Not that I am ignorant like some here, but these books must contain knowledge I do not posses, so I will learn it to become one of the best of the Gaidin." She paused then, knowing that she was being more than a little boastful. This made her carry toh, and she would have to work to work it off. Maybe she would go to the Master of the Armoury and ask him for extra tasks to work it off.

"What of you, Kalyan Rihera, are you reading for knowledge or entertainment?" She did not say pleasure, as for her any reading was pleasurable.
Image Image Image

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » February 19th, 2020, 11:20 pm

Dedicated Kalyan
Kalyan smiled and nodded, never quite sure what the appropriate response was to Dianlinn's Aiel greetings. He shook his head when she called him by his new title, one he wasn't quite used to hearing with his own name just yet. Looking at her more closely, he observed that he wasn't the only one who had recently risen in rank. "Looks like you're a Ji now," he commented. "I hope that's going well for you." Kalyan tilted his head and looked up at her. "I know there have been a lot of new demands on my life now, and I'm guessing it would be the same for you." He knew Dianlinn to be a strong woman, having come as far as she had to be here, but that didn't stop him from caring about how she was adjusting.

Changing the subject, he asked, "What makes you want to learn about Shadowspawn?"Are you planning on going up to the Blight to fight against them when you're Gaidin? I'm sure you'll be one of the best, you work hard enough for it." He said it casually, as it was nothing more than a statement of truth to him. Turning to look at the table where he'd placed the books, Kalyan ran his eyes over the variety of titles.

"Think it's a little of both, " he said, waving a hand in the direction of his pile. "All those books are for studying, but they're for the lessons I've chosen now, so it isn't nearly as bad as some of what I had to read when I was a Soldier. No more history!" He was careful to say it quietly, but still spoke with obvious excitement. "Most of the books are about Healing weaves, some about the human body...I'm going to try working in the Infirmary, and there's a lot to learn." His brown eyes sparkled, and he smiled as he thought about it, even though there was a good chance he'd be up past curfew again to get started on his reading.

Lou
"The Fires of Heaven"

Post by Lou » February 29th, 2020, 9:33 pm

Dianlinn would never have pointed out her rise in rank to Kalyan, there was something to boastful in it. But the fact that he had noticed it on his own did make her smile. He was observant for a Wetlander, and she was proud to call him friend. She nodded her head simply at the mention of the pin on her uniform, one that read hard earned, and still gave her nightmares. She had thought she was ready to sacrifice everything to keep the life of her ward safe, but that test had shown her that she had been very very wrong. When the Wise Ones had come to her in her sleep, she has wept and asked them why she had been picked for this. They had simply stated that the steel needed to be tempered, against the anvil. She guessed she was the steel, but that was all she had been able to figure out. "I am expected to train spoiled children who think they are warriors because they shot rabbits once." She told him, "But apparently it is one of the duties of my rank."

When he asked about her reading, she blinked for a moment as she tried to work out if this was a wetlander joke. "Is it not expected of all Gaidin to know all there is about Sightblinders spawn? Are we not the steel to cut them down in both defence of our ward and because it will weaken him come the day of the final battle?" She assumed all Gaidin did this kind of training, maybe she was wrong? When he mentioned her being one of the best she could not help the blush that crept up her cheeks. Did he think she would make him a marriage wreath with such compliments? "I-I thank you for seeing me in such a way." She said eventually, unsure of what to say at such kind words.

She asked about his own reading, and he looked to the tall pile as he began to speak. She could see his excitement at wanting to get to them, and she felt bad for holding him up. His mention of the Yellow Ajah caught her attention, and she tilted her head slightly to the side. "So, you believe your choice is made?" She asked him, imagining him as a Healer. He had a nice way about him, and she did not doubt that it meant he would be good for those he treated. She could hardly imagine him taking a life, but then that would be the job of his Gaidin, whoever that would be.
Image Image Image

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » March 3rd, 2020, 11:10 pm

Dedicated Kalyan
As Dianlinn's cheeks reddened, Kalyan's smile disappeared. He turned his head away from her so he wouldn't be staring, not understanding what he'd said that had so embarrassed her. When she stammered out a response, his attention returned to her. Looking into her eyes, he said, "We're friends, Dianlinn. Isn't that how friends should think of each other?" It seemed so obvious to him, but he didn't think the Aiel woman agreed.

Feeling unsure of himself, Kalyan let his gaze drift from her and towards the bookshelves, deciding that they had better speak of something else. "So you have to teach, just like we do? I hope your students at least listen to you." With a sigh, he explained, "I wouldn't mind teaching, but it feels like I spend more time trying to get my classes to sit down and pay attention than actually teaching anything. So far the only way I can get anyone to listen is if I send the worst of them to the Master of Soldiers, and I don't like having to do that."

He shook his head and continued, "I don't know if I'd want to be Yellow or not, but I found out when I was a Soldier that I do have the Talent for Healing." He shrugged his shoulders, recalling the particularly memorable switching that had resulted from that discovery. "I feel like I at least need to learn more about it, and if I do like it, maybe then I'll know." He took his eyes off the bookshelves to look back at Dianlinn. "Gaidin don't have Ajahs, but do you have to decide which ones you'd want your bondmate to come from? Or do our Ajahs have nothing to do with that?"

Lou
"The Fires of Heaven"

Post by Lou » March 13th, 2020, 2:55 pm

Dinalinn was unsure what was going on, but she was feeling more than a little uncomfortable about it all. She licked her lips as Kaylan looked away, and she silently thanked the Creator for giving her that moment. She took in a deep breath and let it out slowly, focusing her centre as she did, his words touching something deeper inside. "I would like to think we are friends, Kalyan Rihera, just the Aiel are not used to compliments, and taking compliments. Those are kept between... lovers." She told him, giving him the truth of the matter, even if she looked foolish. She would rather owe have no toh owed between them. She hoped he would understand, or at least try to.

She snorted as he hoped that her student would listen to her. "If they do not, then they will run until they are sick or dig holes in the dirt." She did smiled then, though it was a fierce one. She had been made to do these things, and so would they if they were they tried to waste her time. She listened as he spoke of his worry of teaching, and she frowned. "You need to show them that you are in control, Kalyan Rihera. Something loud to shock them into silence? Maybe use the power to slap a table top? Or make an example out of one of them. You are a Dedicated, they should respect your influence and your knowledge." Maybe Dianlinn would go to his lessons, but she did not want to shame him in that way. He would need to earn their respect himself.

She listened as he spoke about thinking of becoming Yellow, and having a talent for Healing. Those who could Heal, even without the One Power were revered in the Three-fold Land. It was not an easy thing to do, and it could save many lives. "Being a Healer will bring you much toh, Kalyan Rihera," she told him, and then frowned a little as he asked her who she picked to Bond. "I do not think it is I who picks the Aes Sedai or Asha'man. "I do not think it is for me to pick, I would be honoured if any picked me to guard them. Though I d not think I wish to be a glorified book carrier, as some I have seen." She would not go through this to just stay in the Tower. She paused, wondering what it would be to be Bonded to Kalyan, but then he no doubt did not think of such things. And again it made her start to think about her feelings for him, but she pushed them aside, not wanting to think on them right now. She did not know if she could ever have a man touch her again, she just did not want to think about it. "Will you ever Bond, Kalyan Rihera?"
Image Image Image

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » March 22nd, 2020, 8:06 pm

Dedicated Kalyan
Kalyan looked away from Dianlinn, not quite sure he hadn't managed to offend her. While he did his best to respect her Aiel ways, they were so foreign to him that he often didn't realize his error until it was much too late. He would never have guessed the explanation she''d given him for her earlier embarrassment, and the Dedicated winced as he studied the floor tiles, trying to hide his confusion. His feet shifted beneath him as he tried to figure out what to say to her.

A short time passed before he could make himself look at her again, feeling the need to apologize for the misunderstanding. "I'm sorry," he told Dianlinn. "I didn't know that. Here, friends can compliment each other without....any other meaning for it." As he was looking at her, he wondered how he'd never noticed how pretty her eyes were before. Blinking, he looked to the right, towards the library shelves, trying not to give that observation any further attention. It was the last subject he needed on his mind when he was already feeling so awkward. He managed to continue, "I'll try to remember that, now that you've told me."

The strangeness seemed to pass, though Kalyan was still not quite looking at her as she spoke of what to do with his students. While her suggestions did sound as if they would work, Kalyan also thought they'd probably make all his students hate him, something that didn't sound much better than his current difficulties with them. He shrugged when she finished talking and muttered, "Maybe," already knowing he'd never try giving out any of the awful punishments she'd described. Perhaps they worked for her, but Kalyan had to wonder why any of her students kept showing up at all, if that were truly how she ran her classes.

At her last question, his gaze wandered from the shelves back to her. Having only just been raised, Bonding really wasn't something Kalyan had thought about much, but when he considered it in order to answer the question, his answer came to him rather easily. "I think I'll have to," he said. "I don't know anything about fighting, and I don't really have the time to learn enough to defend myself." Maybe that wasn't entirely true, since he could always make the time in his schedule, but the whole truth was that Kalyan had absolutely no desire to learn. It wasn't something he really wanted to admit to someone like Dianlinn, who had made it her life's study. He gave her a small smile and said, "But no matter what Ajah I end up choosing, I'm not going to stay in the Tower, at least not for long. There's too much else I want to see, and I want to put what I know of the One Power to good use. I know I could do that here....but I think there has to be greater need in places farther away from here." With a shrug, he said, "So I guess I'll have to have a Warder to travel with me," and carefully tried not to think of how he really didn't know any of the men and women of the Yards other than the woman who stood before him.

Lou
"The Fires of Heaven"

Post by Lou » April 13th, 2020, 10:50 am

Dianlinn could see that Kalyan was in some discomfort, but she was not sure why. She had explained to him how his words had come across, and that was now in the past. When he finally looked back to her, he apologised and told her he did not understand, and would try to from now on. She nodded her head, not offended, he was a friend, and she would dance the spears for him and by his side any time it was needed, or if he asked. He was one of the few in the Grey Tower she felt that way about. And it had nothing to do with how he looked sometimes when he was focused on his work. Or at least that was what she was telling herself every now and again. "Thank you, Kalyan," she told him, sure he needed her to say such words. But the past was past, and to say any more on it was just words to be wind.

She could see that he did not seem to like her ideas on running a class, and she nodded her head. She knew that classes for the Channellers were softer than those for the Warders. Warders could not be soft, and if there was a hint of softness there, it needed to be ironed out, or they needed to leave. You could not have a soft Warder to an Aes Sedai, because they would break like a splintered spear on a well made buckler on their first dance.

Dianlinn was surprised by his answer, she had not thought he would want to head out into the world. He seemed so at home here, but she nodded her head slowly as he made it clear he wished to be out in the world, putting his talents to good use. She found another measure of respect for him in such a thing, though she would never say such a thing, but maybe it would come across in the way she looked at him, or acted around him. "Bonding is something you do not have to think about until you are ready to leave the Tower. I know you will find the perfect person to keep you safe." She offered him a small smile, and a nod of her head. "Would you like to join me here, at a table, or are you taking your books elsewhere?" She asked him, wondering if he wanted some company, or he just wanted to study alone.
Image Image Image

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » April 18th, 2020, 9:59 pm

Dedicated Kalyan
At Dianlinn's invitation, Kalyan stood up straighter, relieved that the awkwardness he'd felt earlier seemed to be fading away. His small smile grew into one that was more brilliant and meant only for her. He had intended to gather the books he needed and return to his room for yet another late night, but the prospect of studying, however necessary, suddenly became more appealing when he thought of spending that time with Dianlinn. "I'd like to study with you," he told her. "My books are already on that table, if you'd like to sit there," he said as he turned his head to look at the stack.

Then an idea came to him, and Kalyan turned around to look out the windows at the back of the room. Ribbons of bright blue, orange and gold crossed the sky, left there by the setting sun, but there was still light enough left to see by. Kalyan had always preferred to be outside when he could, and he turned again to speak to Dianlinn

"If you want, we could go study outside in the gardens. It isn't too dark out there yet," he suggested, believing that she was as fond of the gardens as he was. "And if it does get hard to see," Kalyan added, "I know how to make lights." He smiled again and left the decision of where to study up to Dianlinn, pleased at the thought of having her company for the evening.

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik