The Singer and the Dreamer [Attn: Kalyan]

A place for the Learning Ranks to socialize and mingle.
Owen
"The Eye of the World"

Re: The Singer and the Dreamer [Attn: Kalyan]

Post by Owen » January 18th, 2019, 4:26 pm

Jun watched the channelers throw fire at each other with widened eyes.

“Woah,” he said. “Woah. Yeah. That’s pretty incredible. How long d’you think it’ll take, for us to get there?”

Then an especially large blast of flame shot from the hands of one of the channelers and Jun gasped and jumped up and down in his enthusiasm.

“WOAH!” he said. “D’you see that? Light! Are you sure that we’ll be able to do that, too? What if …” He trailed off. What if I’m not any good at it? he thought to himself. What if I falter, what if I fail?

He swallowed his insecurities and broke off, and changed his sentence. “I mean, is it hard, learning to channel? You said that you did it before coming here without even knowing it, so it can’t be that difficult, right?”

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Liaran Sedai, Blue Ajah
SC: Amaranie Sedai, Indigo Ajah
TC: Kalyan Rihera, Yellow Ajah

Post by Alianora » January 20th, 2019, 2:03 am

Kalyan
Kalyan wondered if the men who were throwing the fire had noticed his and Jun's presence. It seemed to him as if the flames were growing larger and brighter each time, as if the pair enjoyed showing off their abilities before two very new Soldiers. As one particularly large burst flew past them, Jun jumped up and down, appearing to be as awed by the display as Kalyan felt. He grinned at his roommate as Jun burst out with excited questions.

"I guess we will," he said, though it was hard to imagine he'd ever be capable of throwing fire through the air like someone right out of a story. "I think it'll take us a long time to learn, though. I don't know anything about it, but I don't really think we'd be starting with something like that." He glanced at the activity still going on, blinking at the flash of white one of the men had produced. "Maybe more like a candle flame or something....I don't know," Kalyan repeated. "The Asha'man who brought me here told me I'd been channeling, making our apple trees grow, but I never noticed I was doing anything like that. I couldn't say whether it's difficult or not, but I suppose we'll find out soon enough."

Owen
"The Eye of the World"

Post by Owen » January 20th, 2019, 7:47 am

Kalyan’s answer was thoughtful and logical, but Jun didn’t like the conclusion. He wrinkled his nose. “Bah,” he said. “Guess I’ll be stuck here for a while, then. I don’t have anyplace else to go.”

He glanced at Kalyan. The afternoon sun shone through shifting clouds, and the channelers’ flames sent light flickering across the other man’s face. Even if his face was a bit too narrow, lips a little too thin, Jun thought that Kalyan would perhaps be handsome if he smiled a bit more. On impulse, he slung an arm around his new roommate’s shoulders and looked at him with a challenging glint in his eye.

“Where to next, brave adventurer?”

As they walked away, Jun tossed one last glance back at the Channeling Yard. Maybe one day he would be as cool and inspiring as those channelers seemed to be, he thought.

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » January 21st, 2019, 10:20 pm

Kalyan
Kalyan laughed. "I don't know if I'd call it an adventure," he said as the two of them walked away from the Channeling Yards. "I was thinking we'd head over to my favorite part of the Tower grounds, the gardens. There's a lot to see when we get there." They weren't especially close to the Channeling Yards though, and Kalyan pointed out a few other sights along the way. "Over there are the stables," he said, wrinkling his nose at the smell. "Do you ride? If you do, there's some riding trails around the back of the Tower that you can take a horse out on, if you ever get enough free time!" Kalyan wasn't very interested in horses, so he rushed past them, eager to reach the gardens.

As they got closer, he pointed out the smaller, enclosed gardens that each of the Ajahs kept. Passing by those, Kalyan entered the much larger garden that was kept open to everyone who lived at the Grey Tower. There were many different paths they could have followed, but Kalyan wanted to start by showing Jun the lake, so he kept them on the main path until they arrived at the water's edge. It wasn't a huge lake, but large enough to contain some ducks and other birds paddling around, and a small waterfall at the far end. "So, here we are," Kalyan said. "What do you think?"

Owen
"The Eye of the World"

Post by Owen » January 24th, 2019, 5:46 pm

Jun looked around with stars in his eyes. “Wow,” he said. “It’s so pretty.” Looking in from the outside, he would have never expected the walls of the Tower to enclose such a beautiful, serene space. In contrast to the straight lines of smooth, carved stone, the plants in the garden twisted and turned like organic works of art. A small piece of nature, brought in and tamed for human pleasure.

He looked out over the lake, standing shoulder-to-shoulder next to Kalyan. The afternoon sun bathed the gardens in golden light, and the water shimmered, reflecting the skies above. The Tower could be seen in its reflection, rising majestically above the city. An artificial beauty, Jun thought, and abruptly he felt a rush of homesickness.

He thought of the days spent wandering beneath open skies and wild plains, the time spent cozied in his father’s wagon with the mixed scents of smoky fires and crisp countryside air. Those days, the simple times of childhood, were over.

Jun shuffled his feet, feeling suddenly uncertain about offering his suggestion, and said, “I know you said you had an assignment to finish, so, um, thank you for taking the time out of your day to show me around. I can see why the gardens are your favorite. C-could you show me the way back?”

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » January 27th, 2019, 1:39 am

Kalyan
For Kalyan, the Tower's gardens were a peaceful retreat from the pressure he sometimes felt from his new life. Something about it made any problems he had seem to dissipate into the air around him. For once, he was still, admiring how the sun sparkled on the waters of the lake, then turned his head to a nearby section where tall trees stretched towards the sky, almost forming a complete ring. He had already become a frequent visitor to that area, much preferring to study there when he had to instead of fighting to focus in the tiny room he shared with Jun.

He was still staring idly off into the trees when Jun asked if they could go back to their room. "Sure, we can go back now," Kalyan told him, though he wasn't at all enthusiastic at the prospect of dragging himself back to his assignment. "If you have any more questions or anything, let me know," Kalyan added while they walked back. "I might not be able to answer...but I'll try." The last sentence was accompanied by a friendly smile. He already liked Jun, and it pleased Kalyan to know that he and his new roommate were going to get along just fine.

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik