New Turnings [Attn: Jun]

A place for the Learning Ranks to socialize and mingle.
Lugh
MoNSTer

New Turnings [Attn: Jun]

Post by Lugh » January 8th, 2019, 7:57 pm

Neran Banin
Neran walked through the hallways of the Infirmary, holding the hastily drawn message he had received from a runner. The messenger had practically barged into the office of the First Reasoner; while Neran had been in the middle of a particularly difficult essay, and he made a mental note to find the man later and apologize.

Can’t have the First Reasoner losing his temper over interruptions, the appearance of calm is as important as anything, thought Neran to himself as he stopped to ask after the young man his message had spoke of.

Of course Jaryd had to dash off on some adventure or another, and just as we begin to receive new applicants, sighed Neran inwardly as he recalled the conversation with Jaryd where he had agreed to aid with the duties of Master of Soldiers.

Still the chance to introduce someone new to the Grey Tower was one he had not had in many years, and it would do his Ajah some good to be mixing with the learning ranks once more. The search for truth could begin anywhere after all, Neran mused with a small smile.

Finding the bed he was looking for, he saw a young man sitting against the cushions, weak but obviously feeling a little better from the incident that had caused him to be rushed to the Grey Tower. He was lean, his hair dishevelled and Neran was glad to see his dark almond shaped eyes looked clear and alert.

“Good morning Jun, may I sit?” Neran asked as the young man nodded. “Thank you, allow me to introduce myself, I am Neran Banin and I have come to talk with you about having you sign the rolls of Soldiers of the Grey Tower. I have heard some small reports of the attack that ended with you here, but I wondered if there was anything you could recall or add that might flesh out the truth of the tale?”

Owen
"The Eye of the World"

Re: New Turnings [Attn: Jun]

Post by Owen » January 9th, 2019, 4:50 pm

Jun was wondering when the Healers would release him from the infirmary when the stranger entered his room. He sat up to swing his legs over the edge of the bed and politely ducked his head.

“Morning. I’m Jun Valdera. But you knew that,” he said, a slight flush extending its way up his neck. Of course he knew your name. He’d just used it a moment ago, he scolded himself. He continued, feeling a little bashful under the scrutiny of Asha’man. “Um. I don’t know much. My father and I were just traveling. I hadn’t even seen Trollocs before!”

He tilted his head in thought. “All I remember is that they were headed away from the city. I remember thinking that was strange. And I remember hoping that there weren’t Shadowspawn in Hama Valon. No offense,” he said quickly. “It’s just that there are rumors… well… I won’t get into them, because they’re clearly rubbish.”

He rubbed at the bridge of his nose and smiled ruefully.

“I’m just really glad that people showed up to help. Otherwise, I don’t know what my father and I would have done.”

Lugh
MoNSTer

Post by Lugh » January 10th, 2019, 4:54 pm

Neran Neran kept his face soft and schooled his features to one of attentive listening. He did not want Jun getting the wrong idea, but the mention of rumours put a sour taste in his mouth. It was bad enough the truth that was the kernel some of the rumours had sprung from, but he wondered what the young man had overheard in his travels.

Jun was wondering when the Healers would release him from the infirmary when the stranger entered his room. He sat up to swing his legs over the edge of the bed and politely ducked his head.

“I am glad that some of our people were around to aid you as well Jun. I know that the Tuatha’an prefer to run or avoid trouble when they are able to. However if the Trollocs had come upon you suddenly, there would have been little chance of escape. That they came so close to Hama Valon is worrisome, but that is a worry for another day,” Neran said with a small wave of his hands.

“I spoke a little with your father, he is well and resting before he leaves for the Caravan, so you need not worry. But he did speak of strange occurrences, and worries he possessed. After speaking with him, I am certain you have the ability to channel, one you have probably used at least once by now, and I have come to speak to you about learning to channel; about becoming an Ashaman of the Grey Tower. Should you pass the tests and prove worthy over time of course,” Neran leaned forward, straightening the white cord that hung from his black jacket.

Owen
"The Eye of the World"

Post by Owen » January 11th, 2019, 1:01 am

“Um,” Jun said, eloquently. He blinked rapidly. Light, he had read about the One Power in some of Mahdi’s books, but to learn that it was actually real and that he could learn to channel was too incredible to put into words.

Neran’s movement drew his attention to the white cord on the other’s jacket. Jun had seen some of the other men wearing cords of differing colors - the Healers seemed to prefer yellow - and it seemed important. Jun wondered what it meant. But he didn’t ask, not yet, because his mind was already spinning with the thought that perhaps this man was telling him - him! - that there may be a place for him at the Grey Tower.

He tried again. “Uh, right. Learning to channel. Becoming an Asha’man. I’d love to, to learn, I mean. Or at least try. Tests? What tests?”

Lugh
MoNSTer

Post by Lugh » January 11th, 2019, 4:46 pm

Neran Neran held his hand up to let Jun know he was waiting for his turn to speak. When the young man seemed to run out of nervous questions, Neran took the pins from the collar of his jacket and showed them to Jun. "The tests will not come for a long time Jun, so there is no need to worry that you will be tossed into the cookpot before you are ready. When you first arrive here, a male student is a Soldier. The life of a Soldier is lessons, chores and learning to control Saidin. You are not allowed to leave the Grey Tower without a higher rank present, and this is to keep both the student and Hama Valon safe from accidents."

Neran paused and then showed him the Sword Pin, "After that one tests for Dedicated, and once earning your sword pin you have much more time to pursue studies, learn about the Ajahs of the Grey Tower, and even teach the younger ranks. As well, the freedom to enjoy Hama Valon is yours. Once deemed ready, a student takes the final test and is granted the Dragon Pin of an Ashaman, and choses an Ajah to join. That is the goal of all who join the Grey Tower to learn to channel, to earn the title of Ashaman, and serve alongside our brethren the Aes Sedai and Gaidin."

"But for now we would have you sign the roster, pledging yourself to learning to channel and mastering Saidin. You will be expected to obey the rules of the Grey Tower, and failing to do so can earn chores, punishment or other censorship. But you will be fed, taught and provided a room with a roommate until you are a Dedicated. If that interests you, we could discuss any questions you have further, and then we can sign the roster and begin your studies."

Owen
"The Eye of the World"

Post by Owen » January 12th, 2019, 4:00 am

The life of a Soldier seemed like a great number of rules. To Jun, who had only known freedom among the Traveling People, he felt concerned that he would probably break some of them - not out of any sense of misadventure, but as simple mistakes of carelessness or ignorance. But Jun was willing to work hard, and if they were willing to teach him, then he was eager to learn.

“Yes, I would like that,” Jun said, nodding his head. Then a question occurred to him. What if he joined, and then realized that he couldn’t control saidin, after all?

“How did you know that I could learn? What if,” Jun stopped and swallowed the doubts that had risen to his tongue - what if I falter, what if I fail? - and reframed his question. “I meant, are you sure that… that I can be taught?”

Lugh
MoNSTer

Post by Lugh » January 14th, 2019, 4:52 pm

Neran “Ah that’s my fault I’m afraid Jun. Put the wagon before the horse so to speak. Like I said I had spoken with your father a little, and it seems likely with some of what he described has occurred. But there is a simple test if you would like to know for sure,” Neran said and was pleased to see a small nod from Jun.

Seizing Saidin Neran took threads of Fire and wove a single flame in front of Jun. “Watch the flame, concentrate on nothing but the flame. Just focus..” Neran said as he held the thin thread of Saidin, and smiled when he felt the telltale resonance.

“Well you definitely can learn to channel. As you do so, you may notice a few things that I will tell you of now to ease the shock. One, men cannot immediately tell if another man can channel, although we do feel unease and dread when another man is holding the One Power near us. Two, men can feel when women channel, its like an attack of goosebumps and chills,” Neran explained as he readied the roster.

“For Soldiers, you are not to touch the One Power, nor channel without supervision at all. Saidin can burn you out if you are not careful, so learning ranks must have a guide with them to teach them and watch for trouble. But our Ashaman are patient teachers, and will ensure you learn the mental strength required to master Saidin.”

Pausing for a moment, he took a quill from the desk nearby and held the roster to the young Tuatha’an, “Jun Valdera, will you sign your name to the cause of the Grey Tower, to stand with it, learn from it and protect it from the chaos that at times threatens to engulf the world.”

Owen
"The Eye of the World"

Post by Owen » January 14th, 2019, 6:18 pm

When Jun looked at the flame, something within him vibrated. Something within him felt challenged. A growl rose unbidden in his throat, which he quickly suppressed. And as fast as the moment came, the flame was extinguished and the feeling disappeared.

What under the Light was that? Jun rubbed his eyes and then shook his hair out of his eyes. He tried to follow along with Neran’s explanation, but there were too many thoughts crowding his mind.

He took the offered quill in his hand and poised it over the paper. Then just before the quill touched parchment, Jun lifted it to slowly examine its tip. He had read stories in Mahdi’s old books, stories that spoke of tricksters and fools. And something about Neran’s words bothered him. Jun was young and innocent, but he was not naive, and he was wary of everything that he did not know.

“This isn’t a binding contract, is it?” he asked. “Don’t get me wrong, I’ll do my best to, ah, support the cause of the Grey Tower, but I’ve only been here for a day or so. I’m going to be a soldier, right? Then what, exactly, am I signing up for? I am willing to study and learn. But will I have to fight?”

Lugh
MoNSTer

Post by Lugh » January 14th, 2019, 6:33 pm

Neran Neran paused to consider Jun's questions for a moment. He supposed the rank titles could be a little confusing, but he had never actually been asked that before. Placing the book down on the bed, he made himself comfortable and realized this young man's whole world was changing and reassurance would not go amiss.

"The titles, Soldier, Dedicated and Ashaman are traditions that came to the Grey Tower when it was formed. Ashaman means Guardian in the old tongue, and that is what we take as our charge. Soldier does not mean you will be expected to fight, at least not automatically. Should the Grey Tower suffer another attack in our future, you would see that learning ranks are protected as much as possible. In fact, many learning ranks help with the injured or putting out fires, those sorts of tasks," Neran explained gently.

"As well, as you increase in rank you will learn of the Ajahs here. They are sort of like clans or groups of like minded Aes Sedai and Ashaman, working together for common purpose. My Ajah the White, is often known as the judges and thinkers, searching for truth behind the many questions of life. We have the Brown Ajah, who pursue knowledge and wisdom from the past, the Green Ajah is our battle ajah, those who feel drawn to serve by fighting. So there are many paths here at the Grey Tower," Neran said as he came to the last question.

"It is not a binding contract in that you will have no say, or be treated like fodder or slaves. But learning the One Power can be dangerous, and because of that some freedoms are restricted until your control improves. The risk to yourself and others is simply too great, an untrained Wilder can burn down an orchard, or cause a bridge to collapse and eventually the toll of using Saidin proves to much for those untrained. But we are here to teach and support, each of us adding to the Grey Tower in our own ways. Some Ashaman work with the injured like yourself here today, others make wondrous items or forge the swords our Warders use to protect us. But for now those decisons are on the distant horizon. Learning and practicing is your first goal Jun," said Neran with a smile.

"I hope that eases some of your worries, and now is the best time to ask and clarify after all," Neran said as he tried to recall his first interview at the Grey Tower, and if he had been as full of questions as this young man.

Owen
"The Eye of the World"

Post by Owen » January 15th, 2019, 4:51 pm

Jun nodded solemnly. Neran had answered many of his questions, though he was coming to the realization that he would likely have many, many more questions to come. For example, he still wasn’t sure what an Ajah was. In his mind, he still grouped all channelers together in one category, and the thought of subdivisions made his head hurt.

He was glad that he would not be expected to fight. But something niggled unhappily at the back of his mind, and he wondered what he would do if there did happen to be fighting. With the Tuatha’an, the answer had always been simple when it came to conflict: run, as quickly and as far away as possible. Jun had always struggled with that, just like how he had struggled with the Way of the Leaf, and only now did he realize that there could be a different path.

Maybe it wasn’t so bad that he’d been expelled from the People, he thought. He had never truly belonged. Perhaps here, he could find his place.

Jun turned the quill in his hand. He would think about it later, he decided. But first...

“Thank you,” he said to the Asha’man. Then with a messy scrawl, he signed his name in the book.
Spoiler: show
Thank you Lugh!

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik