Getting Lost (open)

A place for the Learning Ranks to socialize and mingle.
Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Liaran Sedai, Blue Ajah
SC: Amaranie Sedai, Indigo Ajah
TC: Kalyan Rihera, Yellow Ajah

Getting Lost (open)

Post by Alianora » December 8th, 2018, 10:49 pm

Kalyan Rihera, Soldier
Kalyan couldn't quite remember which way he was supposed to be going. He'd never seen a building quite like the Grey Tower, and his brown eyes darted from wall to wall, then ahead of him again as he walked, trying to take it all in. Multiple hallways branched off from the one he was in, and he took the time to glance down every one he passed, wondering where they led. He did not think any of them would take him to his assigned room, where he'd been told to go, so he kept going straight while continuing to study everything around him. He tried to imagine what living here would be like, if it would be as interesting as it sounded. He'd been told what would be expected of him in the days to come, but it didn't quite feel real yet.

Losing himself in his thoughts, Kalyan turned down one hallway, and then another, never noticing that he'd gone far past the door he should have gone through. He continued to look at the walls and doors as he walked by them, but didn't pay very close attention to any of them, or to the direction he was going. By the time Kalyan realized that the doors he was seeing were more ornate, the tiles under his feet more brightly colored, he'd nearly forgotten where he was supposed to be going. For the first time, he stopped, moving to the side of the hallway to take another look at where he'd found himself. It did not look like the sort of place where he could expect his own room to be. In fact, Kalyan wasn't entirely sure he was supposed to be here at all.

Lugh
MoNSTer

Re: Getting Lost (open)

Post by Lugh » December 11th, 2018, 5:04 pm

Maryn
Maryn turned the corner and sighed in relief, there was something unsettling about serving an Ashaman in their own quarters. Especially when the Ashaman in question was White Ajah, known for their ability to slice through the weakest of arguments with ease. Maryn had at first been glad to have the chance to escape the chores and lessons that were not progessing very well, at least in the Library and these lessons he was not held back by his lack of strength and stamina.

Although that doesn’t keep Ashaman (Name) from turning his razor wit on you every chance he gets, thought Maryn, annoyed that he had forgotten to check another source before using an essay to justify his point. The Ashaman had not been unkind, he simply expected anyone who showed a shred of White promise to be held to a high standard.

As he was mulling over the notes and changes he would have to make to his assignment, Maryn reached the hallways that linked the Ajah Quarters together. He was about to pass another Soldier in the hallways with a quick nod, when something about the man’s face made him stop. I’ve worn that very same look of confusion, he thought to himself, and turned to greet the other man.

“Greetings friend, you seem like you could use a hand. Late for a chore, or were you delivering something for an Ashaman?” Maryn asked gently.

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » December 12th, 2018, 11:06 pm

Kalyan
The more Kalyan studied the hallway he'd found himself in, the more certain he became that he was nowhere near where he'd been told to go. He turned around, attempting to retrace his steps, but abruptly stopped when he came to a large intersection where multiple hallways connected to each other. He had no idea which way he'd come from, or which way he should go from where he stood. As Kalyan stared uselessly ahead, trying to figure it out, another man in the same black as he now wore approached beside him. The other man's greeting suggested that he could tell just how confused Kalyan was.

I must really look lost, he thought, wishing he'd paid just a little more attention to where he'd been going. He shook his head at the other man's question, but the smile he offered was friendly. "Neither," he answered. "I only arrived this morning, and I'm supposed to be finding my room. This doesn't look like the sort of place new students would live, though, so I think I've made a wrong turn...or possibly, several. If you wouldn't mind just pointing me in the right direction, I'd be grateful." His wide eyes moved away from the other man as Kalyan looked at his surroundings, wondering how long it would take him to learn his way around such a large building as this.

Lugh
MoNSTer

Post by Lugh » December 13th, 2018, 5:27 am

Maryn
"Neither," the other Soldier answered. "I only arrived this morning, and I'm supposed to be finding my room. This doesn't look like the sort of place new students would live, though, so I think I've made a wrong turn...or possibly, several. If you wouldn't mind just pointing me in the right direction, I'd be grateful."

Maryn stifled a sympathetic chuckle; for although he knew how easy it was to get turned around, he did not want the other man to misread his humour. “Of course, although I will do better than point, I can accompany you to the Soldier’s quarters. I’m on my way there now,” Maryn said as he took a moment to collect his papers and then they made their way.

The other man seemed of age with Maryn, and he found himself wondering if the news he could channel had come as a surprise as well. Curiosity getting the better of him, he gently rambled, “If you just arrived it must all be quite new. I know the Grey Tower seemed like a dream when I had first started here. To be honest there are Ajah quarters I have never been near. Luckily all of the Soldiers are together, so as long as you are used to roommates it won’t be too hard to follow the pack.”

“Before I forget, I should make introductions. Maryn Dagonred. I’ve only been here a couple of months myself,” Maryn said as he backtracked their way through the corridors.

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » December 14th, 2018, 11:16 pm

Kalyan
As he walked with the other man, Kalyan did try to pay attention to where they were going, but it was difficult to both remember where they turned and listen to the other man's chatter. He couldn't help being rather more interested in what the other man was saying than in the hallways around them. His head turned towards the other Soldier with a nod. "You're exactly right, being here is like some sort of dream," Kalyan agreed. "I've never seen anything quite like it, and I almost expect one of my sisters will be waking me up at any time!" He laughed, but briefly, already missing them both.

The other man introduced himself as Maryn, and Kalyan offered his own in return. "Kalyan Rihera," he responded. "So, you've been here a couple of months, how do you like it? What I've been told about living here so far has been..rather different than how things were back home." They turned another corner, and Kalyan realized he'd lost track of their path out. He decided it might be best if he didn't return to this part of the Tower anytime soon, and hoped the area where he would be living would be less intimidating.

Lugh
MoNSTer

Post by Lugh » December 17th, 2018, 6:53 pm

Maryn
Maryn found he enjoyed Kalyan’s conversation, and it wasn’t so long ago that he had been brand new to the hallways of the Grey Tower. With that in mind, he had to admit that while his difficulties in classes had dimmed his enthusiasm, he still wouldn’t chose to live anywhere else.

“Well Kalyan, I can say that the Grey Tower is incredible, I have learned more history in my classes here, than all my father’s tutors could impart with their droning. I haven’t had a chance to meet with all the Ajah’s, a lot of my teachers have been Brown Ashaman, and the occasional Green or Red; but I have noticed that as you get past the first classes there is a dizzying number of choices in what you want to pursue,” Maryn said, as he paused to bow to a passing Aes Sedai. The woman nodded a greeting absently, her conversation with the Accepted’s following her in tow taking her attention.

“I have been spending a lot of my time in the Library, the outside chores aren’t great for me. But I know there are Soldiers that work in the Forges or even with the Drin and Ji’val,” Maryn continued amiably as they finally broke out of the hallways and onto the paths.

Pointing to the signposts, Maryn showed Kalyan how to spot the signs for the Library, Channeling Yard and Gardens. “You mentioned sisters Kalyan, was your family happy to discover you could channel, or learn to? I know it had come as a shock to my Uncle, although my father was happy enough. And I for one was glad to get out of Cairheinin,” Maryn continued as he sat to catch his breath.

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » December 19th, 2018, 1:25 am

Kalyan
By the time they left the building, Kalyan was sure that he could get lost in the hallways of the Grey Tower forever if he weren't careful. He was relieved when they emerged into the sunlight, the green grass and blue sky a far more welcome sight than the twists and turns of the halls. The area they'd entered even had signs to different parts of the Grey Tower, something Kalyan had not noticed inside, if they were present at all. He nodded in appreciation as Maryn pointed them out for him.

He stopped when Maryn did, feeling rather overwhelmed with information. From what the other man had told him as they'd walked, it sounded as if the possibilities this place offered were nearly endless, and all very different from the life he'd expected to lead. Kalyan glanced up at the building, admiring it as he listened to Maryn.

"Learning I could channel, and that I'd have to leave home to come here, was a surprise to all of us," he said. "I like to read when I can, and I'd heard of the different Towers, and of what channelers can do, but I never dared to dream that I might be one. When I found out, it didn't seem real, and it still doesn't, even now that I'm here." He smiled, "But my parents were proud, I think, if sad to see me leave."

Maryn had sat down, and Kalyan walked towards him, but remained standing. "So you're from Cairhien?" he asked, since the other man had mentioned leaving that country. "Is it such a terrible place to live? I've never left Andor myself, but I always wished I could...and maybe I will now," he commented, realizing suddenly that if he succeeded in making a life for himself here, that dream might not be as impossible as he'd always assumed it would be.

Lugh
MoNSTer

Post by Lugh » December 21st, 2018, 3:54 pm

Maryn Maryn nodded as he considered Kalyan’s words, “I can understand that as well. I was shocked to learn that I could be taught to channel, and it opened possibilities I had thought would be closed to me. And with Gateways it sounds like an Ashaman can travel pretty much anywhere they can think of,” he said with a smile.

“As for your other question, no it isn’t so much that Cairheinin is a bad place to be. I miss it in some ways, and it will always be home. It was more that I served as a disappointment to my Uncle, and in House Dagonred that meant many pointed conversations. Still, the family was glad that I could learn to channel, gave them something to talk about at the next feast I’m sure,” Maryn said with a little bitterness as he paused and took a breath to collect himself.

“But this is your first day here, so I am sure you are hoping to settle in and enjoy the Grounds. Let’s continue.”

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » December 23rd, 2018, 10:08 pm

Kalyan
Kalyan waited quietly until Maryn was ready to move on. It wasn't that he didn't want to keep the conversation going, but more that he wasn't sure what to say after Maryn's comments about his family. It sounded as if the other Soldier might not have come from a close family such as his own, and and Kalyan had no wish to pry any further into Maryn's personal life. Instead, when Maryn suggested that they continue towards their destination and made a comment about enjoying the grounds, Kalyan decided that would probably be a better subject.

"From the schedule I was given, I'm not sure I'll have much time for that," Kalyan said. He wished that weren't so, because now that they were outside, he saw plenty of areas he wouldn't have minded spending some time in. He'd even noticed that they had a garden here when Maryn had pointed out the signs earlier. That was a place Kalyan would very much like to see, but he didn't think that was going to happen anytime soon unless he was assigned to chores there. I wouldn't mind working out there at all, he thought to himself with a wince, thinking of the chores he'd been assigned for later in the day, which would not be taking place in the garden.

To Maryn, he said, "I may be free now, but I've been told I'll be sweeping floors this evening. I have to admit that isn't something I often did at home, and I'd guess the rooms here are probably large enough to fit our entire house inside!" He tried to make a joke out of it to cover up the truth that he thought it rather pointless to have to spend time on chores when they would also be given plenty of studying to do.

Lugh
MoNSTer

Post by Lugh » December 28th, 2018, 4:40 pm

Maryn Maryn chuckled as Kalyan expressed concern over the amount of time taken up by chores in the schedule that all Soldier's were given. He knew himself how precious free time was, and in a way he was fortunate because his bouts of illness kept him from the more onerous chores. "The schedule is intense I will agree with that Kalyan. I know the best advice I can give you is to find an area you really enjoy and put your energy to those tasks. The Dedicated and Accepted who oversee us will not tolerate shirking your chores, but they also have no desire to waste talent. I have a few classmates who have been assigned to the stables or forges as they prove to be adept there, the sweeping and floor washing no one avoids I'm afraid."

Maryn walked with Kaylan and showed him a few other sights in the Grey Tower, and he hoped that the general thought behind the layout of the grounds was becoming apparent to the new Soldier. Eventually they reached the dormitory entrance, and Maryn knew it was time for him to make his way to the Library. He could always use the research he needed for the paper he had to turn in to excuse any lateness, but it would not do to linger overly long. "Well Kaylan, this is the dormitory. From here it's just a few staircases to your new room. If you ever need anything, feel free to come find me. If I'm not in class, I am usually in the Library. It's probably the greatest Library in the world, and the full ranks can fill a whole day simply having you fetch scrolls and tomes for them."

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik