When Jack Met Sally (Attn: Bella)

A place for the Learning Ranks to socialize and mingle.
Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"
PC: Jaryd Kosari
SC: Dakson Torellion
TC: Finn
QC: Owen Andarin

When Jack Met Sally (Attn: Bella)

Post by Sunny » February 21st, 2018, 1:39 am

Owen Andarin
Asha’man Gregary’s assignment had been to read about a single historical event of interest, work in groups of two to five to compile information, then present a report on the subject the next day. The men and women of Owen’s class certainly split into small groups or pairs as they passed the threshold of the Library, but to Owen it appeared they were more intent on finding a place to sit and gossip than locating research material.

“Out of my way, Andarling.” The words were delivered in a deep voice dripping with mockery and accompanied by a rough hand shoving Owen to the side. The Shienaran stumbled against the nearest shelf with a painful crash and his head swung to look at the culprit. He already knew Alec al’Lorna’s stocky form would be the one crowding past him. Emelie Disanne and Fredrik Trina, followed him, however, all three laughing as if at a great joke.

Owen growled an objection after them in a voice too low to actually be heard, his cheeks hot and his hands shaking as he turned to face the shelves. Alec's words didn’t bother him as much as their laughter, but in either case he felt helpless, cast adrift and confused by his fellow students' animosity. They would likely spend the rest of their lives living in the same vicinity and none of them had the option of leaving. What purpose did such behavior serve in that environment, truly?

Twenty minutes later, the boy gave up on research entirely. His mind wouldn’t settle, especially when his classmates found two more opportunities to tease him. After conceding defeat to himself, Owen found his way to the far corner of the uppermost level of the Library. There he knew a set of comfortable chairs usually sat empty, a good place to gather his scattered brain and refocus.

Of course, today a unfamiliar woman in a banded hem occupied one of them, her face buried in a large book. The Shienaran gave the Accepted a cursory bow--better safe than sorry, after all--that she didn’t seem to notice. Then he collapsed into the chair across from her in a tangle of adolescent feet, charcoal-stained, lanky limbs and hair. A book he had grabbed at random lay forgotten against his chest.

And there he sprawled, staring blankly at the ceiling, until he realized the Accepted had lowered her own reading material and was looking at him in silence. “Didn’t mean to disturb you,” he muttered. He pushed his hair out of his face, but did not otherwise move.
Image Image Image Image
False alarm- there's still a song for me; I'm just about around to sing it
There's still a chance for me...and I'm still here singing.

Bella
Female Channeller Representative
PC: Miahala Darrow Sedai
SC: Lysira Viathene Gaidin
TC: Gareth Tomosan Asha'man
QC: Natlya Cade Gaidin
QC: Andraste Alhandra Sedai

Re: When Jack Met Sally (Attn: Bella)

Post by Bella » February 27th, 2018, 3:45 am

Isla was finding, more by the day, that she did enjoy the extra freedoms that came with her new rank. They were as much as they would be when (if) she became Aes Sedai, but they were still notably more than they'd been when she was bound in all white. And she liked it. It was just a little more...breathing room.

Today, she had sequestered herself into a quiet, less frequently used corner of the library with a book she had been slowly working her way through in her off time. It was something she hoped would help her in some of her personal quandaries.

This time was interrupted by the sudden appearance of a Soldier. She didn't really give him much mind at first, though, because it was the library. Everyone was welcomed here and while this corner was less used, it wasn't unknown. He had as much right to be there as she did, so she just kept reading.

However, there was a certain...feeling in the air now. Something unsettled.

Isla lowered the book and looked at him for a moment. He looked...troubled, she reflected. She knew she wasn't always the best at reading people and understanding these things, but it was pretty extreme here. Most anyone should be able to tell. "It's fine," she said, tilting her head as she met his eyes. "Are you well?"

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"

Post by Sunny » April 24th, 2018, 5:39 am

“Yes. No. I have no bloody idea,” Owen muttered as he stared at the woman across from him. He knew his tone was on the wrong side of sulky, but couldn’t keep his voice even enough to avoid it. “I got shut out of my study group and shoved into a bookcase downstairs, but other than that I suppose I’m just dandy. The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, I suppose.” Except it seemed terribly off that the Wheel would weave bullies like Alec into his path. Everything in the Pattern had a purpose, but Owen could find neither rhyme nor reason in the other soldier’s behavior.

His hair slid back over his face and for a moment he contemplated winding it over his fist and chopping it off with his belt knife. The irritable thought was fleeting. Instead of damaging himself, he pushed the strands away from his face once more and arranged himself in a position somewhat less susceptible to gravity. “Name’s Owen,” he told the stranger. “What’s yours? I’m still new and I don’t know everyone, I’m sorry. What’re you studying?”

It was as transparent an effort to change the subject as he had ever spoken, but it would have to do.

OOC: I’m so sorry for the long wait. O_o the last few weeks have flown by.
Image Image Image Image

Bella

Post by Bella » April 24th, 2018, 11:42 pm

His words surprised her, but then they didn't.

Isla stared at him across the space between them with a very slight frown, disconcerted and trying to determine what her best course of action should be. He obviously was changing the subject, and she didn't want to force him to speak of what he didn't wish to... She never wanted to be pushed in that way.

Yet that seemed like something that should be spoken of.

Her mind raced for a few moments before she stood up, using her finger to keep her place in the book, and crossed the space. She sat down in the chair closer to him and held out her other hand. "I'm Isla," she introduced herself, almost gently. "It's nice to meet you, Owen." She nodded to the book now on her lap, the cover of which he could now read. "It's just a book on herbalism."

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"

Post by Sunny » May 5th, 2018, 3:47 pm

The woman’s -Isla’s- voice was oddly gentle. Owen blinked, filing that information away for consideration. Was that how she normally spoke, or did it have to do with him? If the latter...why? He didn't enjoy the distrust that bubbled in his gut. He knew it had little to do with his companion and everything to do with his classmates, but he couldn't dismiss it. “It’s good to meet you, Accepted Isla,” he said automatically. She had shifted so he could read the cover on her book, but explained what it was anyway.

“Herbalism?” he asked, curiosity peeking through his irritation. “I know a little about plants, but most of what I know is about the colors they make when properly prepared, or which ones smell the best." His smile was genuine. “Are you a healer, then, or is it required knowledge for the Accepted?”
Image Image Image Image

Bella

Post by Bella » May 6th, 2018, 12:10 am

Isla wasn't really sure about her reaction, but she was pleased to see him smile. Like it was some tiny reward for...something, though she was actually clueless as to what. Now wasn't the time to try to figure it out, however, and she knew that much. So she returned the smile and listened to his words.

They sparked just as much curiosity in her.

"Healer..." She said the word like some sort of lovely thing. She liked to think of herself like that. "At least, I'm training to become one, although I have a very long way to go still." Her laugh was quiet, and a little self-deprecating. Then she gave a little nod towards him. "Making colors of plants... So, you are...an artist?" There were a few other things he could've used that skill for, but she took a guess.

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"

Post by Sunny » May 30th, 2018, 5:34 am

Owen looked at his hands, spreading his fingers out to examine the charcoal still caked into every crease, the splash of red that had stained his skin, the nails clipped short to allow for playing practically any stringed instrument. There were spots on his cuffs, too, worn smooth from rubbing across paper as he sketched.

“Like your Healing, it is a work in progress,” he said. He felt himself begin to relax despite himself; something about Isla was comforting. If that weren’t enough, considering his favorite past times always helped. Why focus on bullies when there were better things to consider? “I like to create, whatever the medium. Sketching here, painting there. I write stories and play music, as well. I can’t claim to be the best, but...I like it, so I do it anyway.

“I, um...I could sketch you, if you want?” He had a bit of graphite in his pocket; all he needed was paper to make good on the promise.
Image Image Image Image

Bella

Post by Bella » May 31st, 2018, 12:02 am

His suggestion caught her quite by surprise and she gasped softly, her blue eyes widening with the emotion. Her father had once mentioned wanting a portrait of her done by some painter he knew. The man had done her mother's portrait. He was a rather terrible little fellow who she desperately wanted nothing to do with and he only drew stuffy, uptight looking people.

Isla wished she could remember her mother, to know whether that was who the woman had been or not.

This was different, though. Owen wasn't offering because he was being paid to, or her powerful father required it of him. It was a genuine offer, and from someone who was looking at her...not at the image her father had created. It made her flush slightly as she thought about the differences between the two.

"I..." she began, laughing shyly. "If you'd like to. I've never had something like that done."

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik