Sweep Cute (Attn: Amaranie Tice)

A place for the Learning Ranks to socialize and mingle.
Daniel
"The Shadow Rising"
PC: Nyaine Lintelle, Accepted

Re: Sweep Cute (Attn: Amaranie Tice)

Post by Daniel » September 18th, 2017, 10:22 pm

Nyaine Nyaine had the impression that Amaranie’s attitude towards the Tower was the polar opposite to her own. She did not mind doing the chores? That bordered crazy.

“You are definitely correct on me not enjoying the chores. It’s work that servants should be doing. I’m not good at it and it takes me longer to complete it. This being a prime example.” She waved with her mop. “Alternatively, in this place what we are doing and staying up late for could be easily accomplished with the power in minutes. Right now, not having to do chores every single day is the most appealing part of the Accepted to me.” Voicing her frustration had made her feel slightly better, but it also didn’t really represent how she really felt about the Grey Tower, the actual question Amaranie had asked her back. She sighed.

“I’m sorry. I actually really, really like it here.” She continued in a less agitated, more musical tone. “Ever since I had my first teacher, I’ve loved learning, but at some point, the teachers always run out of things to teach. Not so here. I’ve had a number of classes that expand on what I learned about all different kinds of subjects before coming here. The Tower probably knows more about my home’s history and houses than our houses do. But none of that compares to learning about saidar and how to use it. When I really think about how I have learned how to heal someone of almost anything short of death just by touching them, it seems like a miracle. A miracle that I am part of.”

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Liaran Sedai, Blue Ajah
SC: Amaranie Sedai, Indigo Ajah
TC: Kalyan Rihera, Yellow Ajah

Post by Alianora » September 21st, 2017, 2:22 am

Amaranie
Looking at Nyaine's half of their shared floor and comparing it to her own, which she had already nearly finished, Amaranie couldn't help but agree that the other girl most certainly was not good at the task. What she did not understand was why Nyaine seemed to think that wouldn't change. She hadn't been much good either when she was small and just learning, but she had improved and was convinced that Nyaine could as well, if the other novice would at least put more effort into trying than complaining about it. It seemed that Nyaine had noticed she'd been rambling about them, as she quickly apologized and went on to talk about classes.

Those weren't a subject Amaranie could relate to easily, either. She had never had classes such as some of the other girls had described growing up, certainly nothing like what Nyaine was speaking of. Most of what Amaranie knew had been learned from her mother or father during the course of a work day, and the formal classes of the Tower did not come easily for her. She nodded uneasily, feeling rather inferior to the other novice. Nyaine seemed to be so comfortable here, and Amaranie couldn't imagine a day would come when she would feel that way. She kept her mop moving, trying to cover for the fact that she didn't have anything to say.

Then Nyaine moved on to talking about her channeling lessons, perhaps the worst part of the Tower for Amaranie. She'd been terrified of it when she'd arrived, and mostly, she still was. Somehow, her teachers had managed to coerce her into doing it herself, which wasn't as frightening, but Amaranie still left every single class somehow both feeling dirty and wanting more. She didn't know what to make of that, and it just wasn't something she could ever have asked anyone. It made her nervous to hear Nyaine refer to miracles, and the mop rattled in her hands as she shook. The same word had crossed her own mind only the other day during her own Healing lessons, and Amaranie still didn't know how she felt about that. The Power was evil. She'd always been taught that, but she was struggling to see how something as useful as Healing could do any harm. Amaranie felt her stomach turn over. She didn't like thinking about that. "Healing is one of the more interesting classes," Amaranie said lamely, knowing she sounded stupid, though possibly not as stupid as she felt. She scanned her eyes over the floor, relieved to see that only a couple of spots remained to dry. Light, let this end soon.

Daniel
"The Shadow Rising"

Post by Daniel » September 21st, 2017, 10:35 pm

Nyaine One thing was for certain, Nyaine concluded. Amaranie was not a particularly talkative novice. She paused her work for a moment to see how much floor she had left to work on. It was not a lot. That meant she had achieved at least part of her objective. The time had gone by faster.

“You think so? I appreciate using the power for Healing. I have been wondering, though, whether the Power could be used to help prevent the need for Healing in the first place.” She grinned, thinking of the perfect example for her theory. “Say, if you were to use saidar to clean floors, two young women would not bump into each other and slip on a wet underground and get absolutely soaked and bruised.”

Nyaine wondered whether she’d have to revise her theory on Amaranie again. If Healing was one of her favourite classes, she could not really be afraid of channelling, could she? Unfortunately, Nyaine also had no other explanation. It seemed it was one mystery that would have to remain unsolved, for some time at least. “Well, anyways, I’m glad to hear you like the channelling classes,” she continued in conversational tone while continuing to work on the rest of her section, the finish line fortunately already in sight. “Some of us have a harder time adapting to it than others. My roommate, Isla, said something about how she wished she did not even have the ability when she first came here. I guess it really depends on where you come from. If I’d grown up in a place where Aes Sedai and Asha`man are uncommon, say Far Madding…” She shrugged and finished the last few sweeps of her mop.

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » September 23rd, 2017, 2:53 am

Amaranie
Nyaine's comment about liking her channeling classes struck the Amadician girl as though it were an accusation of her. The mop in Amaranie's hands fell with a clatter to the floor. "No! I don't like them!" she cried out. "I don't, I swear it!" I walk in the Light! I do! She trembled, blinking at Nyaine. When her heart stopped pounding, she retrieved the mop from the floor, quickly finishing the last of her work and using it to calm herself down. As she did, she found herself able to think a bit more rationally. Perhaps she didn't meant it that way? Amaranie had to admit that made more sense, particularly since they were supposed to learn to channel here, so there couldn't be anything wrong with......liking it.

Still, Amaranie couldn't quite admit that she might, even to herself. She looked up from where she had been studying her section of floor, slightly surprised to see Nyaine still standing there. She had thought her outburst would have frightened the other novice away. "I'm sorry, Nyaine," she said. "What you said.....about liking my classes......it scared me. Where I come from, if you can....channel, you..........they.........execute you." Amaranie choked out the last two words, her voice rising to the higher pitch that meant she was about to cry. She swallowed hard, trying to stop the tears that were welling up. Sometimes, it seemed as though she'd spent more time crying since she'd come here than anything else. She'd never had such a problem with it before coming here, and it was getting rather old.

Daniel
"The Shadow Rising"

Post by Daniel » September 26th, 2017, 2:12 am

Nyaine Shocked by Amaranie’s sudden vehemence, Nyaine clutched her mop as if it would grant her extra stability standing. The outburst was not at all what she had expected from the previously very quiet novice. She watched Amaranie pick up her mop and finish her section of the floor. It seemed she had most certainly drawn the wrong conclusions. Apparently, she was unable to make sense of the other novice whatsoever. She pressed her lips together thinking about how to remedy the situation. She found herself unable to empathise with a channeller who seemed to despise channelling. Why would you not want to use a gift such as this?

Before she could formulate a reply, Amaranie had finished and was haltingly explaining her reaction. A land where they executed people with the ability to channel. Amadicia, then? Or maybe Tear? Light, that must have been terrible. Nyaine did not want to imagine growing up in a place where you persecuted just for being the way you were. But in Amaranie’s case it actually explained a lot.
“I am sorry”, was the grandiose reply she came up with and immediately told herself that she could do better than that. “Coming here must have been difficult.”

Why would you say that, Nyaine?! All that training in Daes Dae’mar and she was still straight babbling out what came to her mind. Her teachers would be appalled, not to mention her family. Granted, she had had scarce opportunity to put that training to the test before she had been gobbled up by the Tower, yet it was just not good enough. She suspected Amaranie’s experience coming here was not nearly as pleasant as her own had been and did not want to poke that wound more than she already had and thereby offend, but it was too late.

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » September 27th, 2017, 1:49 am

Amaranie
Amaranie sniffled, blinked, and somehow managed to stop more than a few stray tears from leaking down her cheeks. She gave Nyaine a tense nod. It had not been so bad, to come here, but she didn't want to remember her reasons for making that decision. She certainly would not be sharing with Nyaine, or anyone else, just how hard that had been for her. Amaranie leaned her mop against the wall and studied the floor, which practically shone. Viewing Nyaine's, it appeared to be finished as well, though she avoided actually looking at the other girl. She did not think her behavior earlier had made a very good impression and didn't know what to do about it, since she had already apologized.

"I've finished my side," she finally said, after some hesitation. "Are you finished yet?" Amaranie hoped her earlier guess that the other novice was, indeed, done turned out to be correct. She was tired of looking at the floor, hoping it would pass inspection.The novice yawned and covered her mouth, wondering if it would be possible to go upstairs and get some sort of rest without actually having to sleep. In Amaranie's opinion, it was past time to leave the chores behind them and enjoy what free time they both could get.

Daniel
"The Shadow Rising"

Post by Daniel » September 30th, 2017, 1:59 am

Nyaine “Yes, it seems we are done here,” Nyaine said, the dual meanings of her reply not escaping her notice. She picked up her bucket, the mostly dry mop parallel to the floor in her other hand, and made towards where she suspected the overseeing Accepted would be. “Thank you, Amaranie, for your help and lesson in this thing, and your company of course. Talking makes these chores go by faster. Though if I can avoid having to apply this knowledge you have given me, I would not be disappointed.”

She frowned, wondering despite herself how her reaction to being able to channel would have been different, had she lived in Amadicia. Would she have even made it out? Would she have been executed by the Whitecloaks? She had to assume, she would have survived, but even the logistics of it were complicated already, without any of the resources she was used to having from her House’s estate. Amaranie had made it somehow, quite the feat in itself and yet despite all that she seemed conflicted by her upbringing. One would always be influenced by that one way or another, she surmised, just like she would always be a daughter of her parents.

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » October 1st, 2017, 1:29 am

Amaranie
Bucket clutched in one hand, mop in another, Amaranie followed Nyaine to the supervising Accepted after the other novice had indicated that she was done. She shrugged at Nyaine's comment. "I don't mind helping," she told her, and she didn't, much. "If you ever have difficulty with any of our other work I'd be happy to help again." Amaranie very much doubted that would ever happen. To her, Nyaine didn't seem the sort of person to willingly admit to being bad at anything, let alone actually seek out assistance.

They reached the Accepted, and the woman quickly gave them permission to leave. As she replaced her supplies in the closet they had come from, Amaranie let her mind wander. She was not sure if she would speak to Nyaine again anytime soon, regardless of her earlier offer. She was quite certain the other girl didn't much care for her, and wasn't sure what she could have done to change that. Nyaine just couldn't understand how hard it was on Amaranie to live here. Amaranie did not blame the other girl for that, but it hardly made it easier to deal with her, or the countless other novices just like her. She let out a sigh of frustration with herself, then headed up the stairs.
Spoiler: show
Are you ok with ending this here?

Daniel
"The Shadow Rising"

Post by Daniel » October 3rd, 2017, 9:41 pm

Nyaine “Thank you,” Nyaine said again in reply to Amaranie’s offer. “In return, I am happy to help out should you need assistance with any classes.” It felt like an empty offer, somehow. There had not really been a connection between the two novices other than them having to do chores together this time. Where Nyaine disliked the chores, Amaranie didn’t mind them. Where Nyaine loved learning and channelling, Amaranie was conflicted at best. And yet, she didn’t really dislike the other girl, either, they apparently just weren’t particularly compatible. What she gleamed of her past, had made her think that the Amadician could be quite courageous. Following Amaranie’s example, she put away the mop and bucket. Frowning, she watched Amaranie slink away, up the stairs, wondering whether she should have told her about how she admired her courage. Then she nudged herself into moving off towards her room and bed.
Spoiler: show
Yes. That is quite alright. Thank you for writing with me!

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik