Paks Gets Summoned [Closed Raising Fic]

A place for the Learning Ranks to socialize and mingle.
Roan
Non-Channeller Representative
PC: Riahana
SC: Tia Tomosan, Aes Sedai
TC: Paks Liard, Ji'Val

Paks Gets Summoned [Closed Raising Fic]

Post by Roan » August 5th, 2017, 11:46 pm

Paks Liard
Days came and went, as did weeks and months, and even years. Paks still wore the light grey of the Drin. If she seemed to care that others came and were raised not just to Ji’Val but on to Gaidin, she didn’t seem to let on, not even to Jesi. The two women met as often as their schedules allowed. The pair didn’t really define their relationship, at least not early on, and Jesi seemed to tolerate Paks’ wandering eyes (and even teased her about it from time to time).

The more time the Drin spent with the Novice, though, the more she found she preferred Jesi’s company to that of any of the women she’d chase in Hama Valon. She couldn’t deny the fluttering she felt in her chest each time she laid eyes on the Novice, or how those fluttering feelings would turn electric any time they even so much as held hands.

Paks focused on her training, improving her technique with both unarmed and daggers. While she may have slowed down chasing other women, she hadn’t slowed down going to taverns at night, though her outings were a little more complicated as she and Jesi had to get creative to sneak the Novice out. Sometimes, they got caught, and while the penance for Paks was not too severe, she always worried for Jesi.

Somewhere along the line, Jesi seemed less inclined to sneak out as she found a skill with objects of Power. She’d often talk excitedly about what she learned to Paks, who listened intently while holding Jesi in her arms. For her part, Paks would talk about her days in the Warder Yards, and some of the more arrogant Drin and Ji’val who would often underestimate her.

There were times when Paks’ training took her out of the Tower for a few days at a time, and she found she wanted nothing more to get back and see Jesi. One particular training exercise went particularly askew as Children of the Light decided to descend upon their party. Between that, and the incident in the Great Serpent, Paks and Jesi both talked about one day escaping the Tower. . .running away together and living a quiet life somewhere.

The Drin knew it was nothing more than a dream. If she left before getting the fancloak. . .well, she wasn’t sure she was willing to risk jail. As time went by, though, talk of walking away seemed to lessen as the pair found a happy routine in their Tower life.

On Jesi’s 35th birthday, the Novice admitted, “I think I am in love with you.”

There would have been a time not all that long ago for Paks hearing such words come from a lover’s lips, she would have run very far away. Had she ever been in love? Perhaps with the magistrate’s wife. Why else would she have risked everything to see the woman again? She’d been so young, and while not exactly naive, emotionally immature.

Hearing Jesi admit such deep feelings for her, though? The Mayener thought her heart would leap from her chest. Before the pair parted for the day, Paks pulled Jesi in tight and gently held her lover’s face in both hands. Her eternal smirk was gone, replaced by an intense and sincere gaze, “I know I am in love with you, Jesi. I will find you this evening and we can continue your birthday celebration.” She didn’t give the other woman chance to reply as she delivered a searing kiss. Only when their lips part did she smirk.

A bell tolled somewhere, and the Drin knew she had to hustle if she didn’t want to be late to the sparring session planned between her and Alrim Gaidin. She knew her friend would understand, but the Master of Training would not.

As Paks approached the Warder Yards, Brynmor Brook Gaidin approached her, “Paks Liard, this is for you.” He handed her a letter that held the seal of the Master of Training.

Opening it, she saw one word, “Attend.”

Looking up to the Gaidin, she tilted her head, “I don’t understand.”

“Follow me,” was all the stoic Gaidin replied. He turned and walked off, not looking back to see if Paks followed. She had to jog to catch up, wondering what was going on. The Gaidin didn’t speak again as Paks followed him into the depths of the Tower. She’d explored much of the Tower in her years as a Drin, but never to its lower levels.

Eventually, the pair reached a door, and before it stood the Master of Training. He gave a formal nod to Bryn, who left without another word. Turning his steely gaze to her, the Master of Training spoke, “You have been summoned for your test of honour, Drin. In times past, we would have sent you into the wilderness without a choice. But now, you have a decision. You may proceed through these doors to face your test, to fail or pass, to live or die, or you may refuse. You may refuse the test twice, but on the third asking, you shall face your test of honour, or you will be expelled. So, make your choice Drin. Are you ready, or will you refuse?"

Raising. She should have known. . .but Paks had sort of given up on the idea of ever becoming anything more than the wayward Drin who was as eternal in her rank as was the smirk that seemed ever present on her lips. It was there now as she tilted her head, “You wouldn’t have summoned me if you didn’t think I was ready. Let’s do this, Chief.” She stopped herself from laughing as Master Taavo seemed to grind his teeth together in annoyance.

The Master of Training turned away and pushed open the large double doors that stood behind him. He led Paks into a small chamber that held a large, golden archway in its center. Two Gaidin stood on each side of the arch, and at their feet, there was an Aes Sedai and Asha’man, both sitting cross legged, and neither seeming to pay her much attention. Before she could examine things any further, the Master of Training spoke again, “"We stand as the sword and shield for our channellers, not simply against forces that oppose us in war or serve the Shadow, but in every aspect of their lives. You need to be able to put your charge's needs and wants before your own. Your pain comes before theirs; your life comes before theirs. Shed yourself of pride and hubris."

It seemed an odd thing to say, but Paks didn’t think now was a time for one of her smart ass replies.

"You will be faced with the realities of another life you may have led inside the golden arch. In each of those lives, you will be faced with a decision. If you choose the correct path, you will return to us as Ji'val. Make the wrong choice, and you will need to enter the arch again, unless you choose to stop." The Master of Training paused for a moment, his face graven. "And sometimes one does not make a choice, and is lost forever within the ter'angreal."
The Gaidin steps back, leaving the Drin in the centre of the room with the archway. "If you choose not to enter now, you will be expelled from the Tower. But if you choose to go through, remember this. To be a Gaidin is to know sacrifice."

The smirk dropped away as Paks took a deep breath and stepped through. . .

Birds chirped outside, and Paks’ eyes fluttered open. Her arms were wrapped around another woman. She looked up, and saw the Magistrate’s wife studying her under heavy lidded eyes, “Good morning, sleepy head.”

Paks smirked, “Morning. Do you think we’ll be lucky enough for your husband to stay away for another day?”

The woman laughed softly, “No. We are due to leave for Hera today. Do you think you and your friends will be there any time soon?”

“Hmm . . .could be. I know we’ve got to move on. The inn keep is expecting another troupe tonight. Besides, Lonrey is pushing his luck picking pockets,” Paks admitted.

“You should not tell me such things. It puts me in a difficult spot with my husband.”

Paks snorted, “That puts you in a difficult position and not the fact that you are laying here naked intertwined with another woman while your Magistrate works?”

Before the other woman could answer, there were footsteps outside the door to the room, and then the unmistakeable sound of a key engaging the lock. “Oh light! He’s back early! Quick!”

“Quick? Not even I can get dressed that fast!” Paks protested as she launched herself from the bed and pulling her trousers on as she looked for her blouse. They were on the second floor. . .she could perhaps just manage to drop herself down to the ground. . .maybe.

The door opened, “Good morning my wife…” The voice trailed off as the man looked to his betrothed, then to Paks and back to his wife. “What is the meaning of this?”

Paks lips twitched as she pulled her blouse over her head, “I think you know the meaning of this. Given you’re a magistrate, I’m guessing you are pretty smart. . .though I could be wrong.”

The man turned five shades of red darker as he launched into the room, pushing his wife aside without care or consideration. Paks felt a flash of anger and side stepped the man easily enough, but as she stepped forward to check on her lover, he lunged after her again, “I will make sure you hang, rogue.”

There was no way for Paks to reach the door. Turning on her heal after pushing the bed into the man, Paks launched herself to the window, grateful that it was open. She was even more grateful there was a roof below the window so she only dropped one story. She lept through. . .

. . .only to find herself back at the Tower.

Julian Taavo Gaidin looked to Paks,"You have crossed through the arch, but you have not learnt of true sacrifice. You may enter again, or you shall be expelled. Choose."

If she quit, she’d be turned out. If she were turned out, she’d likely lose Jesi. The choice was easy.

Determined, she stepped through once more.

“Wake up, Drin! We have visitors, and not the friendly kind!” Natlya Gaidin whispered.

Paks stirred to her feet. Everything else seemed to happen so fast. The Gaidin put the learning ranks within a protective circle. Gareth Asha’man wasn’t far from his Warder Wife, and she held her Heron-marked sword at the ready. Seconds later, blurs of white broke through the underbrush. The Whitecloak numbers were overwhelming, though the Gaidin fought hard to keep the line. For a time, it seemed an even battle, but the Whitecloaks gained the upper hand due to shear numbers.

Alrim Gaidin was not far from her, and Riahana Gaidin was a blur with her sword. Something or someone hit Paks from behind. She went down hard and she saw stars. Trying to shake her head clear, she realized if she didn’t move, she’d get trampled. She did what she could to crawl out from the chaos and pulled herself to her feet. Waves of dizziness hit her, but she did her best to stay upright.

“Fall back!” One of the Gaidin called out. Paks looked in that direction and saw Alrim go down. She tool a step backwards and tripped over something. She realized it was the Ji’Val that had been her partner. He lay lifeless in a pool of blood, a red, bloody and angry scar across his neck. Panic filled Paks. She was no fighter.

Scrambling to her feet, she took off, diving through the trees. . .

...only to find herself at the Tower once more. “But that’s not what happened!” Paks explained. None in attendance said anything. She felt judgemental eyes boring into her. She hadn’t run away. She went for help. She could have run away, but she went to get help, and then was part of the rescue party.

Anger boiled within. What’s the point? That is not me any more. . .is it? There was a hint of self doubt, and she hated herself for it.

Determined, the Drin entered the fray once again. She would do it as long as it took. Her thoughts drifted to Jesi, and she wondered how her Lover’s birthday was going. Little did she know Jesi was going through her own private torture with the Arches.

Three more times, Paks found herself starting the trial over again. Frustrated, she looked to the Master of Training, “What is your bloody measure of success? What is it you are trying to do? Break us?”

He and the others looked on impassively, frustrating the Drin even more. There was no smirk, just a look of frustration. With a low growl, she stepped through again.

“What do you think we will find when we get there?” Paks asked Jesi, her smirk playing on her lips. The pair were off on another adventure, tracking down Objects of Power to return them to the Tower Vaults, where they could be kept safe. Jesi Sedai adjusted her Indigo Shawl and flashed a lazy smile to her lover, “We will find what we find, as always.”

Paks laughed softly as the pair rode side by side, “You know I am not a fan when you go all stoic Aes Sedai on me. I am not some Drin or Ji’Val to intimidate anymore.” Indeed, her fancloak hung easily over her shoulders. She could feel amusement over their bond and saw Jesi’s lips twitch upwards for a split second.

“Perhaps, but we are not at the Tower. I have a reputation to uphold,” the Indigo teased and then laughed as her lover rolled her eyes. The pair spent more time out of the Tower than in it, both of them preferring the freedom of the open road to the confined of the glass Tower. Even though they were both raised, the memories of their ‘guilded cage’ while they were learning ranks hung heavy over both of them.

For Paks, the Fancloak meant absolute freedom. . .she no longer had the threat of Jail hanging over her head. One of their first ‘missions’ from the Tower saw Paks reunite with her old troupe. None of them could believe she’d settled down with one lover, but then they started to get to know Jesi, and it all seemed clear.

The current ‘mission’ saw the two women travel to their home country of Mayene. Paks hadn’t been back to her home country since she joined the Grey Tower, and her thoughts went to her family. She knew her father had died some years before, her brother sending word of his passing. She sent letters to both him and her sister, but never received a reply. Not hearing from her kin saddened her, but Paks was not one to dwell. She caught a glimpse of their destination that day, a small village called Spring Run. They would be there for the rest of the evening and all of the next day before leaving bright and early the following morning.

Their ultimate goal was a hamlet simply named East Spring Run. There, Jesi’s eyes and ears informed her the children were falling ill after one of the men returned with treasure from some journey he took. It could have been a simple coincidence, and perhaps a Yellow would be more suited, but Jesi’s intuition suggested something other than a simple illness.

As carefree as Paks tended to be, she was a Gaidin with the observation skills to go along with the title. Her on intuition rarely let her down, and as they drew closer to Spring Run, something seemed off. Pulling the Void around her as if it were an old friend, she scanned the surrounding farm land.

“What is it?” Jesi asked, likely having picked up Paks’ concern through their bond.

“I don’t know. Maybe nothing. I will feel better once we are in town,” Paks replied.

The pair rode on in silence and entered the town mid afternoon. Things seemed business as usual, but every now and then, someone would cast an odd glance their way. Paks looked over to Jesi, “Stay close. I don’t want you out of my sight.”

The Aes Sedai simply nodded. Several minutes later, they found the inn, and dismounted. A stable hand took both of their horses as the pair walked into the inn proper. Paks led the way, as always, but by the time what she saw registered, the door slammed shut behind them. The room was filled with ten burly men, plus an old, but unforgettable face.

The Magistrate.

Feeling uncertainty through their bond, Paks didn’t dare take her eyes off of the room. That uncertainty spiked, and Paks turned as two men went to grab Jesi. Instinct kicked in and two daggers appeared in her hands as she moved without hesitation. The first man dropped dead within seconds of Paks moving. The second found himself badly injured moments later, but as Paks focused on them, the other men in the room launched themselves at her.

Good as she had become with daggers and unarmed, she could not fight them all off. Rough hands grabbed at her, attempting to pull her back. She tried to break free, but soon found even more hands grabbing her from behind. As she tried to shift free, she, and several of those who held her, fell forward. Panic reverberated through the bond, though the Gaidin wasn’t sure if it was hers or Jesi’s.

Four of the remaining men pinned the Gaidin to the floor. She felt someone force her daggers from her hands as she still tried to struggle free. A moment later, Paks was forced to her feet such that she and Jesi faced each other. The Magistrate walked between the two and stood in front of Paks.

“I should have had you hung all those years ago. You ruined my wife. You ruined our marriage. You destroyed my life. Now, I shall destroy yours. This woman behind me is your Ward, is she not?”

Panic turned to rage. . .Paks’ rage at the very thought that this man would dare threaten her, or her lover. She fought against hands that held her, but the grip was steadfast. The Magistrate slapped her, “Answer me!”

Paks looked past him, meeting Jesi’s concerned gaze, and felt the Void fall back into place. She looked back to the Magistrate with a level gaze, “She is.”

“And it is my understand that you would do anything to save her, even give your life?”

“That is correct,” Paks replied. Truth was, she wouldn't hesitate to put her life on the line if it meant saving Jesi.

The Magistrate came toe to toe with Paks so that she couldn’t see Jesi past his own aged face, “And what about your freedom?”

Paks furrowed her brows, “What?”

“Would you give up your freedom for her? Would you forever live in a cage or cell so that she may walk free, but forever separate from you?”

Uncertainty mixed with fear came through the bond, mixing with Paks’ own uncertainty. She’d gone to the Tower to escape jail in a choice he’d made for her. Now he was giving her a choice that was no choice at all. . .or was it just a test?

“Answer the question, Paks Liard. Leave me waiting, and I will take my anger out on her,” the Magistrate threatened.

Paks once again tested the hands that held her, and once again found she couldn’t break free. She earned a punch to the gut for her effort and doubled over with the force of it. One of the men holding her grabbed her by the hair and pulled her back up.

“Well?” The Magistrate asked.

“I would forfeit my freedom so that she may walk away unharmed and continue to walk this world. I would do it without hesitation,” she answered.

The Magistrate gave her a sinister grin, “Then what was a hypothetical question now becomes real. The choice is yours. Forfeit your freedom, Paks Liard, and we will let her go. You have my word. It is not something I break, for if I did, you would be dead. My wife made me swear I would not kill you, and you still live.” He stepped out of the way so that Paks could see Jesi once more.

“Paks. . .what are you doing?”

Looking between them, the Magistrate added, “If you do not forfeit your freedom, I will have them kill her here and now. That is also a promise, Paks Liard. So her life for your freedom. Yes or no?”

Paks furrowed her brows and shook her head ever so slightly, “I have no choice, Jesi.”

“Paks, no...there’s gotta be something. . .” Jesi trailed off.

“Can we at least have a moment to say goodbye?” Paks asked.

“You can say goodbye here and now. I am not letting either of you go until you answer. I am no fool,” the Magistrate replied.

Paks could find no way out of the situation, and looked back to Jesi, “Jesi, I swore to you that I would give my life for yours. Freedom is a small sacrifice if I know you live. I love you. . .continue to be the ray of sunshine you are. . .the ray of sunshine this world needs.”

Rough hands pulled Paks’ hands behind her back and slapped iron cuffs on them. She watched in horror as a man behind Jesi raised his hand and swung it down hard at the base of her neck, “NO!!” She surged forward, but was forced to her knees as Jesi crumpled to the ground. The bond didn’t snap, so she was still alive, just unconscious.

A hood was thrown over Paks’ head and those same rough hands who forced her to her knees dragged her out of the inn. The heat of the afternoon sun was almost unbearable. She heard horses and the sound of a carriage pulling up and was lifted and shoved forward. The unmistakeable sound of an iron gate shutting made her jump.

The party traveled, but she lost track of time. When they finally stopped for good, it was night time. Rough hands dragged her out of the cage. “Take her to the back entrance to the cellars. I won’t have her in my house. Her cell is ready for her,” the Magistrate instructed.

She was dragged along and then down a set of stairs. Eventually, they forced her to her feet. The hood was pulled off, and the Magistrate stood before her once more. He gave a wicked little smile, “Welcome to your new home.” Stepping aside, he showed a small cell, perhaps six by six in size. There was a cot, but not much else that she could see. Fear gripped Paks. She could still just barely sense Jesi. Hands pushed her forward and fear turned to panic. She tried to resist, but to no avail. She was pushed through and the cell door slammed shut behind her. . .

The scene faded, and Paks sunk to her knees as tears streamed down her face. Was that not sacrifice enough? The Master of Training came to stand before her, his expression one of concern and sincerity. “You have passed the trials. Stand, Paks Liard, Ji’Val of the Grey Tower.

As Paks stood, she saw Ravak, the Master of Arms, behind the Master of Training. He gave her a very slight nod. She’d done it, she’d made it to Ji’Val, but somehow, the accomplishment seemed hollow. All the new Ji’Val wanted to do was find Jesi, and then she wanted to sleep. After that? After that, she had no idea.

Jesi gave her reason to focus her efforts to learn the martial arts of the Yard. If the Master of Training or Master of Arms asked her where her loyalties were, she wasn’t sure she could tell them it was to to the Tower. The woman had a singular focus after she’d been show to her new room. . .a room she didn’t have to share with anyone else. How long had she dreamed for this? Why did it feel so empty?

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik