Mushroom Soup (attn:Isla)

A place for the Learning Ranks to socialize and mingle.
Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Liaran Sedai, Blue Ajah
SC: Amaranie Sedai, Indigo Ajah
TC: Kalyan Rihera, Yellow Ajah

Re: Mushroom Soup (attn:Isla)

Post by Alianora » August 6th, 2017, 2:22 am

Amaranie
Amaranie was not finding much success with the pots. Getting them clean was little trouble for her, but it was slow, detailed work, and nothing she could do would change that. She let out a frustrated sigh just as she heard Isla return. She bent her head further over the sink, hoping Isla wouldn't notice the tears that were still drying on her face. Despite this, it took the other girl only one look to ask her if she was ok. Amaranie didn't particularly want to answer. Isla's concern was the last thing she'd expected from anyone here, and Amaranie didn't know what to make of it. "I'm fine," she lied, with a shrug. Seconds passed, and the novice began to feel a bit guilty. Should she at least warn the other girl in case the Accepted came back? It seemed only fair.

She muttered quietly, for Isla alone to hear, "It's just that one of the wit--" She abruptly stopped herself, midsentence, praying to the Light that Isla hadn't understood what she'd almost said. The last thing she wanted was another lecture about her poor word choices. To her, Aes Sedai had always been witches. She understood why she shouldn't say that here, in their very home, but seventeen years of habit were not easy to break. She continued her sentence, trying her best to pretend that there had been no break between her words. "--Accepted looked in and was quite angry that I wasn't almost done." Amaranie didn't dare look at the other girl, fearing what Isla's response would be if she'd caught her in her slip.

Bella
Female Channeller Representative
PC: Miahala Darrow Sedai
SC: Lysira Viathene Gaidin
TC: Gareth Tomosan Asha'man
QC: Natlya Cade Gaidin
QC: Andraste Alhandra Sedai

Post by Bella » August 8th, 2017, 2:34 am

Sometimes, it's the smallest of things.

Isla had sensed that the first response was not precisely the truth, but she wasn't going to push it. If Amaranie did not want to tell her what had upset her, then that was her right. Isla turned back to the pots and began her part of the disgusting, laborious work that was going to stretch out to consume her entire afternoon.

However, Amaranie kept speaking. And that half-word... It was obviously a slip, and she could suppose that there were other things it might have been...but then why had she stopped it so suddenly and corrected herself?

Witch.

That was when the chimes rang in her head. She thought the girl's intonations sounded familiar, but now it all came together.

Isla glanced over her shoulder to see if anyone was around, before she turned back to the other girl and leaned in closer so that her whisper wouldn't be heard from anyone else. "You're from Amadacia, aren't you?" she asked, her voice almost feverish and her eyes large. "So am I!"

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » August 11th, 2017, 2:14 am

Amaranie
Amaranie was sure Isla was staring at her. She winced and backed up a couple of steps, bracing herself for the other girl's reaction. Clearly, she had not corrected herself quickly enough, and now she was going to have to face the consequences. She waited nervously, eyes flicking back and forth from the pots in her hands to the other novice, but Isla said nothing. Instead, the other novice suddenly leaned in close to her until their heads nearly touched, whispering to her.

She was so surprised by Isla's revelation that she dropped the pot she'd been scrubbing, Luckily, this pot was far smaller than some of the others, and the splash it made as it hit the water only sprayed them with a few stray drops. Now it was Amaranie's turn to stare at the other girl, mouth open in shock. She could hardly manage to nod her head and answer Isla's question. "Yes. I'm from Amadicia," she said quietly. She didn't like to talk about it, and didn't wish to be overheard any more than Isla apparently did. "But....you....you're so calm," she said, confused. "Doesn't it scare you, just being here?" She certainly didn't seem to feel as lost and frightened as Amaranie did, and for that, Amaranie envied her.

For a short time, she contemplated asking the other girl why she'd come here. It wasn't something girls from their country did unless forced. She was curious, but as she thought about it, realized that however Isla had come to be here, it probably had been unpleasant at best, likely something she wouldn't wish to relive. Amaranie absently ran a finger along her scar. For that matter, she didn't want to talk about her own past, to Isla or anyone, so she decided it would be best not to bring the subject up. Amaranie could only hope that it wouldn't occur to Isla to ask that question of her.

Bella

Post by Bella » August 15th, 2017, 11:05 pm

Isla barely knew this girl, but just the fact of her nation made Amaranie seem almost...kindred. Far more than Isla had felt with anyone else here in this place, and the very thought filled her with more excitement than she had imagined herself capable of anymore. She knew that she had to keep it under control, though.

Biting hard on her lip, she turned back to the dishes. Keeping her hands in the water hid what she'd want to hide on her arms, and so she kept that obscured while she focused on work.

Yet even with this focus, she spoke. It was just loud enough for the other Novice to hear, but she wanted to speak it so badly. "I'm terrified," she said, just sneaking sidelong glances. "I've nearly fallen down entire flights of stairs when I saw an A-Aes Sedai coming. But I am here and I need to learn things. So I work to be in control.

"Before I came here, I was--" She hesitated. She didn't want to say it, out loud, for some reason. "I was a soldier." True enough. "I was taught to be in control. Here, I must do it all the time. But they say I am a danger to myself and others if I don't learn, so I am here to learn." Besides, I have no home to go back to. Where else could I go?

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » August 18th, 2017, 2:36 am

Amaranie
Working at the sink, listening to Isla talk, Amaranie felt just a bit less alone. The fears the other girl described were so much like her own, though she'd never have suspected that the other novice felt that way. She wished she could hide her own fear half as well as Isla did. A small smile crossed Amaranie's face, possibly the first to appear since her arrival. "You're lucky to have such control," she said. The novice rinsed the pot she'd been cleaning out, then surprised herself by continuing to talk. "It's...difficult...just to continue to function, when nearly everything here scares me. I can't hide it like you can." Amaranie wasn't sure why she'd admitted that to the other girl. Isla was virtually a stranger, but Amaranie couldn't help feeling drawn to her. She wasn't sure if it was the simple fact that they shared a country,or something else entirely, but Amaranie couldn't deny that she wanted to trust Isla, if she were even capable of trust anymore.

She bent her head over the sink, focusing in on her work. For Amaranie, the familiar routines of chores were a comfort, though she did not think any other novice in the entire place shared that view with her. The novice allowed herself to become lost in her task, and a short time later, realized that only a last few smaller pots remained in her nearly empty sink. She lifted her head to look at Isla beside her. "I'm nearly finished," she said."Do you want any help?"

Bella

Post by Bella » August 20th, 2017, 6:48 pm

Isla found the same sense of kinship settling within her, even without anything else to base it upon. She just knew that there was something...comforting about having someone here who felt like she did. Rationally, she knew that there had to be others in this place who had experiences like her, but she hadn't met any of them.

"If you want," she replied when Amaranie offered to help. "Don't feel obligated. It's not...too much." She looked over the remaining dishes, seeing that the other girl had gotten hers done much quicker. Well, she did have something of a head start while Isla had gone to change, but maybe she was also just better at it.

Isla managed a weak smile. "I haven't washed many dishes in my life," she admitted.

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » August 24th, 2017, 2:28 am

Amaranie
Amaranie set the last pot of hers aside, then, since Isla had agreed, set to drying the dishes that Isla had washed. She couldn't help but notice that the other girl still had quite a pile left to wash. Isla herself had said she hadn't done many dishes in her life, and that she'd been a soldier. Amaranie didn't know much about that, but she couldn't imagine soldiers spent much time with sinks full of dishes. Isla was doing her best, so Amaranie couldn't find it in herself to complain if she was slower at it.

She returned the other girl's smile. " I don't mind helping," she said, and she really didn't. There were many worse tasks she could have been made to do instead. She hesitated a bit before adding,"My parents own an inn, so I've been washing dishes since I was little." Even that simple statement was hard to get out, bringing back memories Amaranie wasn't ready to handle. She swallowed, forcing down the tears that were threatening. Blinking, she stared at the plate in her hands as if were the most fascinating thing in the world. She turned her face away from Isla so the other girl couldn't see her as she fought for composure.

Bella

Post by Bella » August 31st, 2017, 11:07 pm

"Thank you," Isla said simply, feeling some sense of...embarrassment at her lack of ability with this task. Maybe it was understandable that she wasn't good at it, she hadn't done it before, but that didn't mean she liked admitting her weakness. And since coming to this blasted place, she'd had to admit a great many of them.

Including the biggest sin of all: channeling in the first place.

There was such relief in not being alone. This girl looked around her age, from the same place with the same beliefs, and dealing with the same eventuality of their lives here.

She did not notice Amaranie's struggle for composure, since she was staring at the dish she was scrubbing and struggling with her own. She tried to hearken back to her experience and training as a Child of the Light, but that just brought up memories that were fresh and painful and made it even harder.

"I wonder if I ever stayed at your family's inn," Isla commented without thinking. After the words were out, she realized maybe that was stupid to say. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that," she murmured.

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » September 4th, 2017, 1:43 am

Amaranie
Amaranie sniffled, blinking several times. She thought she'd successfully forced back her tears until Isla made her comment. Remembering that Isla had said she'd been a soldier, Amaranie couldn't help but be drawn back into the unpleasant memory of the last time soldiers of a sort had come to her parents' inn. The plate in her hands rattled as she set it down, and for a moment, the blue-grey eyes closed as she tried to stop herself from remembering. She couldn't quite manage it, however, and found herself assaulted by images that were almost as clear to her as they had been on the day they'd taken place. Blood on my arm....father's angry voice....Children of the Light at the door......KEEGAN! Recalling that day was just as painful for her as the actual event had been. Amaranie had cried then, and there was no way the novice could stop herself from crying now.

Her shoulders shook, and she shuddered a couple of times before the tears began. They rolled down her cheeks, dripping into the sink, and Amaranie opened her eyes again to find that they were falling on her formerly clean dishes. She jerked back from the sink, reminded by the sight of Isla beside her that she was not alone. She didn't want Isla watching her, or anyone else, but she couldn't stop crying, so Amaranie fled from the sink to a nearby pantry. It was one she knew well, since it held the mops that novices used, and she opened the door and hid herself inside. Out of sight, she let herself cry for her brother until the tears gradually dried on their own. Taking a couple of deep breaths, Amaranie wiped her red eyes with the sleeve of her dress and rejoined Isla at the sink.

She didn't say anything to the other girl. She was far too embarrassed for that, and besides, what could she possibly say? Amaranie wasn't about to tell Isla what had upset her so badly. Even if she'd wanted to, she was quite certain she wouldn't manage more than a couple words before starting to cry again. That was the last thing she wanted, so Amaranie busied herself getting more wash water to rewash the dishes she'd dirtied, hoping Isla wouldn't ask her any questions she couldn't answer.

Bella

Post by Bella » September 7th, 2017, 2:31 am

Isla was completely at a loss when Amaranie started to cry.

It wasn't that Isla didn't understand it. She had cried herself, especially right after her father had freed her from the inquisition chambers, but that didn't mean she knew what to do when someone else started crying. Was she supposed to comfort her? Was there something she was supposed to say? No, clearly saying things was what had undone the girl in the first place.

Of course, the debate was quickly ended when the other Novice rushed away. Isla watched her go and bit her lip. The new debate formed: was she supposed to go after her?

This didn't come up a lot among soldiers.

After a few moments, she determined that if the girl had run away from the moment, it was because she didn't want to be standing next to Isla amid her emotions. So, pursuing her would only make it worse. And once that logical conclusion was reached, Isla felt a little better and turned back to the dishes to finally get them over with. Not that the rest of her day was that exciting...

When Amaranie returned, Isla did not say anything about anything. It was just easier that way, and they finished the dishes in silence.

"Amaranie," Isla said once they were done, and hopefully both calmer. She knew they had other chores to attend to, and classes, but she didn't want to see the moment of kinship vanish entirely. "Would you, perhaps, like to..." She scrambled for something suiting. "...study together some time? Or something?"

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik