None of Us What We Once Were [Attn: Novice Zarayne]

A place for the Learning Ranks to socialize and mingle.
Bella
Female Channeller Representative
PC: Miahala Darrow Sedai
SC: Lysira Viathene Gaidin
TC: Gareth Tomosan Asha'man
QC: Natlya Cade Gaidin
QC: Andraste Alhandra Sedai

None of Us What We Once Were [Attn: Novice Zarayne]

Post by Bella » March 24th, 2017, 1:24 am

Only a few days had passed since Andraste had gone through the Three Arches, but she felt...new now. She hadn't in the first moment she'd finished. Then, she had only felt broken. Her heart had been dragged out of her chest over three times and how was anyone meant to survive that? And yet...she had.

Now some time had passed, and it all set in. Her mind had turned it round and round, both waking and sleeping. Things had changed in her mind, although she could not be fully aware of what those things were. She could not see the tiny fissures sealing up.

Today, however, she had her first teaching assignment as an Accepted. Somehow, she hadn't had any channeling lessons--as student or teacher--since the Arches, but perhaps they allowed those days as a bit of respite. Who could say? Either way, today she had her first lesson and had arrived early at the room they were assigned.

She sat down at the simple table, smoothed out her banded dress over her legs, and tucked the lone errant strand of black hair back behind her ear from where it had escaped its long braid...and waited.

Craig
Librarian
PC: Ravak t'Sha'hal Darrow
SC: Elia Darrow
TC: Zarayne
QC: Farah Kattan

Re: None of Us What We Once Were [Attn: Novice Zarayne]

Post by Craig » March 27th, 2017, 3:07 pm

Zarayne
The lithe Novice made good use of her legs as she made her journey through the Grey Tower. The skirts of her dress stuck to her knees as she moved, sodden from having to clean a corridor in the Brown Ajah's Hall, only to be told she had to do it again because an Asha'man had slipped and broken a vial of ink. She thought it was both unjust and unjustified, but Zarayne also knew her place.

Fortunately the Aielwoman had no encounters on her travel to the Blue Ajah's Hall, to a small room set aside for teaching. Zarayne had a good number of classes where there were fifteen to twenty-five students in a room, but this was to be different. She knew her teacher by sight if not name, and upon entering the room realised she was also new to the banded dress of the Accepted. With a dip of her head and a bending of her knees, Zarayne stood halfway between the doorway and the chair that was clearly meant for her. She'd got used to all of the wetlander bowing and curtseying and use of short names, but chairs were still a sticking point. She gave it a wary eye, as if it were a two-step about to lunge.

"Accepted, I am here for my lesson." She bowed again (wetlanders did like undue acquiescence), then realised something. She tilted her head. "Can I ask what this lesson is for precisely? I was not told."
Image Image Image Image
Craig's Tracker ❖ Librarian
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Bella

Post by Bella » March 27th, 2017, 10:58 pm

When the door opened and her first ever student walked in, Andra was caught up by how...tall the woman was. It would not be so obvious how much smaller the Kandori was since she was sitting, but she had a good awareness of things and that was immediately relevant. She wasn't really used to be around women who were so much taller.

That was a passing notice, however, and hardly relevant to the day. It was easily moved past. She smiled politely and gestured at the chair, feeling uncomfortable with the bowing. Only a week ago was she wearing Novice white. "Please have a seat," she said, then caught the look in the other woman's eye. "Or choose however would best make you comfortable.

"I am Accepted Andraste Alhandra," she introduced herself, "in case they neglected to tell you that as well. I have been told that your name is Zarayne. And I fear this lesson probably has more to do with me learning to teach than what you need to learn. I was told to cover a variety of beginner's to intermediate weaves." She paused, looking a touch sheepish.

"Before we begin, can you tell me a little about yourself? I mean, in channeling. Have you found strengths in particular threads?"

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » March 29th, 2017, 1:11 pm

Zarayne
Zarayne took the seat, once it was offered to her. She got away with such things in her own room, but chairs were everywhere and couldn't be avoided. The Accepted, Andraste, introduced herself in an unconventional way. She's being tested? What about me? The One Power was dangerous. What would happen if she did something wrong? What would happen if Andraste did something wrong?!

Quelling her concerns was not easy and some of the concern showed on her face. The questions gave Zarayne an easy way out of having to face her fears.

"Earth and Fire are my strongest elements, according to some of the sisters who have tested me," she replied quietly. "And Water is my weakest. It feels draining when I try to do too much with Water." A self-depreciating smile flashed briefly across her face. "Beyond that, I've been shown how to Delve a person, but it's tiring because of the weave using Water. I don't think I'll be assigned to the Infirmary to help out the Asha'man and Aes Sedai there."
Image Image Image Image
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Bella

Post by Bella » March 29th, 2017, 10:09 pm

Andra made a mental note of those strengths, and found it interesting. It wasn't many female channelers, as she had come to understand, who were stronger in those elements. That typically belonged to the men, although it was not entirely unheard of. Rumor had it that the Captain-General was among the Tower's most powerful Earthsingers.

"We all have our strengths, which are needfully balanced by our weaknesses," the Kandori said with a smile. "For now, let's start with Saidar and then we'll start working."

Pausing, she took a deep breath and centered herself. It had become habit by now and didn't take as much thought as it once had in order to achieve. She then opened herself to the One Power. She didn't need the entire visualization of the rose any longer, because it had been so long that she had been--

Nothing happened.

Saidar was a concept in her mind and she could feel it like a thought floating in her head, but suddenly it would not come. The sweet rush of it did not flow through her, not easily like it once had nor with effort. The smile she'd worn quickly became a frown and she blew out a breath. She realized that the Novice was watching her and she forced the smile back, but it was strained.

"I think...I'm having a little trouble concentrating today," she said, although the words were distant as she scrambled inwardly with what was going on inside her.

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » March 30th, 2017, 1:03 pm

Zarayne
Zarayne stilled her other thoughts to focus solely on the image of a flower. She pictured walks with her mother back when she was young, moving through the snow-covered paths of their village. There was a beautiful yellow flower that grew in spite of the cold, with wide curving petals, and little flecks of scarlet near the centre. Everyone called them goldenchains, although plants had different names depending on where you came form. They were poisonous, but her mother had used them to help people with troubles sleeping, or to help encourage out bad food.

Still thinking about the goldenchains, the warmth of saidar slowly began to suffuse her. Her skin pebbled at the realisation. Her mind expanded again, capable of taking in more than just the ability to hold saidar. She was aglow with the Power and eager to begin this latest lesson.

Zarayne felt the strained pause as she held the Power but Andraste did not. The Accepted's face fell, and then came the admission of failure? Is it failure, she wondered, or is this a test? Aes Sedai were always testing her in different ways. Why would it not be the same for Accepted?

Pulling hair back away from her ears, Zarayne looked at the other woman with questions in her eyes. "Is there something I can get for you?" she asked. "Or do you want me to draw you into a link?" Zarayne had never led a link before, but she understood the theory behind it.
Image Image Image Image

Bella

Post by Bella » March 31st, 2017, 2:58 am

Andraste could not believe that this was happening.

It was like some nightmare...except she had never dreamed of anything like this.

Her very first lesson as an Accepted, newly cast free of the Three Arches and deemed worthy of advancing onward to the rank of Aes Sedai... and she couldn't bloody embrace Saidar. It was there, she saw it and felt it, but she could not get at it. She had not had such trouble embracing it, surrendering to it.

Now, she couldn't. What could be going on? What misfortune was falling upon her now, to see her on her path only to have it plucked away yet again? At least this time not quite as painfully... but how could she overcome it?

The Novice was speaking. Andra forced another faint smile. "I have no experience with linking beyond the rudimentary concepts taught to us in class. It seems like that could possibly cause more harm than good. I..." She hesitated, and wracked her brain. "I apologize. This was... unexpected. I feel somehow... blocked from Saidar."

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » April 3rd, 2017, 12:10 am

Zarayne
Zarayne was coming to realise that this was not a test. Authentic concern marred Andraste's pleasant features which sat at odds to her new rank and position.

There was something about that final comment that brought the Aielwoman up to her feet. Like a cat, she prowled around the room quickly. There was no feel of saidar being used nearby. No sight of anyone else either. Zarayne was well aware that she couldn't see nor detect saidin, but that would have seemed like an unwise prank if ever she heard one.

"I see no-one," the novice reported. "If you are shielded, I cannot see how. I feel nothing constraining me." She held onto saidar like a Maiden held a spear -- possessively and with a ready willingness to use it. "Shall we seek one of the Aes Sedai?"
Image Image Image Image

Bella

Post by Bella » April 4th, 2017, 9:40 pm

Still swirling around in her own mind and trying to stifle a growing sense of panic, the Novice jumping up and stalking around the room caught her by surprise and her dark eyes blinked several times as she tried to collect herself. Every possibility raced through her mind, reached an end, and then repeated itself.

When Zarayne spoke, Andra blinked again and looked up. She took a moment and then nodded. "That sounds wise."

Although the thought of sharing this humiliating moment with yet another person was...well, humiliating. Her pride was stinging from the battering of the last five minutes, but she knew she could not solve this on her own. The Novice could not solve it either. They had to find someone who would know more than either of them.

Andra rose to her feet and smoothed her banded dress over her stomach with a nod, leading the way out of the room and into the hall. She wasn't quite sure where this Aes Sedai would be found, but one never had to look far...
Spoiler: show
Oh, what the heck, let's make Andra really hate me. Want to bring in Elia? XD

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » April 5th, 2017, 11:40 am

Elia Darrow
The First Seeker was finding the miracle of creating life tiring. Her diet had been reduced from whatever she pleased down to a careful selection of smaller meals. It wasn't the particulars of the food that were the problem but the smells they emitted. Anything with the smell of fat made her wish to vomit, so bacon and eggs had vanished from her meal plan. Exhaustion was also an ever-present part of life now. She slept whenever she was alone, and occasionally whilst servants or students were in attendance. Not that it helped. Impending motherhood apparently meant sleeping through half of the day and still being tired when she woke up.

Well, Elia Darrow was done with being inactive and confined to quarters. She got washed and dressed all by herself, which was becoming somewhat of an accomplishment latterly. From a wardrobe of adjusted clothing, she selected a high-collared dress in rich blue. It fit well, she had to admit. She just wasn't happy with how she looked. The Indigo forewent any jewellery beyond her Oathsworn pin and her Great Serpent ring.

The Shienaran looked at her reflection in a mirror, not entirely impressed with what stared back. Like her brother, the elder Darrow put a face of annoyance on, which was echoed in her tone. "And if anyone wishes to call me up on my appearance, I'll slap them eight ways to Sunday."
Zarayne
The Aielwoman followed the Accepted diligently, acting as her shadow in a white dress. Zarayne knew better than to hold saidar in the corridors of the Tower, but Andraste hadn't asked her to stop, and the novice still was concerned with what was happening. If this was a prank, Zarayne didn't wish to get dragged into it, and thus in front of Vanya Sedai in due course. If this was not a prank...

The two learning ranks' plan of locating an Aes Sedai was accomplished in short order. As they followed one of the curving corridors, a familiar face approached from the other direction. The blue-clad form of her father's sister came towards them with a face like a blizzard. For some reason this only encouraged Zarayne to pull more of the One Power into her, up to the point where pleasure and pain mixed.

"Explain yourselves," the Indigo sister snapped. The Aes Sedai's dark green eyes danced between the two of them. Much softer, she added "Zarayne, release the source." The novice frowned down at Andraste, but did as she was commanded.

Elia's attention turned back to the Accepted, and it was clear she was displeased. "A novice publicly holding the source under your direction? What is the meaning of this?"
Image Image Image Image

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik