Studies [Attn; Damon]

A place for the Learning Ranks to socialize and mingle.
Avyra
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Avyra *bloody* Moeryr - Accepted

Studies [Attn; Damon]

Post by Avyra » February 13th, 2017, 3:02 am

Avyra
Avyra, as per usual, was keeping to herself for the most part in the gardens. It was easier that way. Besides, it was a beautiful day, grass starting to turn green again, and the sun sining. There was a slight breeze in the air, causing a slight chill.

Flipping a page in her book, Avyra continued her studies on the bench, left arm resting on the arm rest, book in her lap, and legs resting comfortably on the bench as well, almost laying down.

However, her companion did not care for the page flipping. A falcon white as snow perched on her left hand, and with each turn she voiced her annoyance in high pitched clacking.

"You know what this is. Hush your beak," Avyra replied, not even looking at the bird.

The gyrfalcon beat her wings, making Avyra turn and look at her. She stopped then, and smacked her beak a few times.

"You're so needy, you know that right?" Avyra replied, looking back to her reading, a book on Battle Weaves. "I've already fed you, yet you still must insist you get food."

Damon
"The Shadow Rising"

Re: Studies [Attn; Damon]

Post by Damon » February 14th, 2017, 6:40 pm

Olin
“I’ve never seen a falcon so up close before. We used to watch them riding the winds and fishing in the streams back home. But it’s impossible to get close to them in the foothill country,” said Olin as he saw the Accepted scolding her bird on the bench.

He hadn’t meant to intrude on her studies, but it was obvious she had a way with the animal as it stood perched beside her. And he had been enjoying the summer sun, the warmth of it creating a cascade of flowers from the Garden. The scenery here was amazing and until he had achieved a higher rank and was afforded more freedom from the Grey Tower it felt the closest to the wild country he had often ridden through.

Sitting down on the grass, he grabbed a sausage he had stolen from the kitchens, and grabbing his penknife he cut the meat into small slices, “I don’t know if the falcon will eat this, but he’s welcome to some,” said Olin with a smile as he held out the meat to the Accepted. There was no way he was going to feed a strange animal with such a beak and claws.
"Every man is the hero of his own song," Tad Williams.

Avyra
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Avyra » February 16th, 2017, 1:45 am

Avyra shook her head, looking to the falcon who was completely uninterested in the meat. "No, no. She can't eat cooked meat. Especially with spices. She appreciates the gesture, though."

However, she couldn't help but watch the young Drin who had decided to sit beside the bench, rather than beside her on it. "And you know, you can come up here if you want. Her and I don't mind the company." She turned a page in her book.

"What's your name? How long have you been here; I don't believe we've met?" She held out a small hand. "I'm Avyra, this is Tempest."

Damon
"The Shadow Rising"

Post by Damon » February 18th, 2017, 5:39 am

Olin

Olin realized he had never thought of what spices and cooked meat would do to an animal.

When the Accepted invited him to sit, he took her up on her offer. He was still careful to move slow, so as not to bother the bird. But it did feel good to sit after having spent so long washing floors.

He took her hand when she offered it, knowing his hands would feel rough and raw after the chores. At least a life time of chores had given him calluses and strong hands.

"Nice to meet you Avyra, and Tempest. To answer your question, I'm pretty new here. Just arrived truly, although I've managed my basics and can finally learn to channel," said Olin with a grin. He ached to try more, to push more but the tempest that was Saidin naturally instilled an amount of caution.

"How about you Accepted? You've been here long enough to earn the stripes, but I know that varies a lot," asked Olin curiously.

He didn't know many people in the Grey Tower yet, and he wondered how the learning ranks as a whole found their time here. "How did you obtain your Falcon? That must have been a story," he asked as he watched Tempest observing the Gardens.

Avyra
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Avyra » February 21st, 2017, 1:55 am

She smiled at his words, giving his hand a friendly shake. It felt big, strong, and rough compared to her own, but hardly uncomfortable. He must have been working very hard for the Tower.

However, he hadn't actually introduced himself, but she supposed he would do so in time.

"Please call me Avyra," she replied. "Not Accepted. I like my name better than that title." Avyra paused, thinking about his question.

"I trapped her. Not really a big story; I set up a net of Air and caught her in it. Then I trained her." She paused. "The training is the fun part. Its trying to get wild bird who wants to kill you to not want to kill you. And then to hunt for you." She laughed. "It takes time and patience, but there's nothing more rewarding than watching her in action."

Damon
"The Shadow Rising"

Post by Damon » February 21st, 2017, 5:58 pm

Olin Olin was surprised at how tiny the Accepted was. Olin was of slightly taller than average height in his family, although he had met some truly towering Andorans and even an Aielman here in the halls who made him feel short. Careful with his hands he returned the Accepted’s greeting.
No Avyra, he corrected to himself with a smile, it was so easy to get caught up in the rigid formality of interactions at the Grey Tower, that it was refreshing to relax the formality a little.

“Olin, guess I forgot to introduce myself. Most of my instructors seem to get their point across with a gruff Soldier and a finger point,” Olin said with a chuckle. He knew he could be a pest when it came to classes, always looking for another answer or asking question after question.

As she explained the way she had caught her, Olin couldn’t help but still wonder at the planning that had gone into it. “So you just snatched her out of the air? Or do you have to find them when they are young? My sister had kept a weasel she had found along the riverbank, and it was remarkable how tame it had become over time. Of course it was always a little pest, but we kept few animals it could bother so we learned to appreciate it keeping the outbuildings clean,” said Olin as he remember often finding the little mongrel sliding into his sheets or boots.

“Do they let you keep your falcon here on the grounds? I noticed the stables and kennels when I first arrived, but I hadn’t noticed an area for the keeping of other animals. Still the Grey Tower is huge,” said Olin with a sweep of his arm, the scale of the Grey Tower still amazed him and it seemed like they were building and improving it every day.

Avyra
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Avyra » February 28th, 2017, 8:13 pm

Avyra laughed and smiled, remembering the angry gyrfalcon she had snatched right out of the air. "I guess that is what happened. Its actually better to catch them when they're older." She paused. "Birds are not like mammals. This is still a wild bird, but she knows that I feed her and that I am better to hunt with. So she stays with me. If I were to release her, she would return to a wild state in about a week or so no problems."

She paused, looking back at the bird. "She's smart. I barely had to man her. She got the message very, very fast." Avyra reached up, touching the bird's beak, then touched both her wings in turn. The falcon did nothing.

"I'll be sad to see her go, sure, but its something that has to be done, you know."

She looked back at him. "I keep her on the grounds, yes, not by the kennels or stables though."

Damon
"The Shadow Rising"

Post by Damon » March 5th, 2017, 3:40 pm

Olin

Olin was very interested to learn all the nuances that seemed to come with training the birds of prey. He had never realized that an animal could learn the appreciate the help of man, without having to be broken and tamed.

"That's incredible that the birds do that. I am glad to hear that they don't lose their spirit or wildness I suppose you could call it," said Olin with a grin, "I've always loved watching the hawks as they flew over the foothills and hunted for small game, would be a shame if they turned into parrots when tamed."

"I am also heartened to hear that Accepted have the chance to learn such things, I know the schedule of a Soldier leaves little time, but I've heard some of the men in the dorms speaking of Hama Valon and such once they've earned the pin," Olin said, his voice both envious and excited. The Grey Tower was fascinating, with wonders on every corner but he still knew it grated on all of the learning ranks to be unable to depart.

"Have you been at the Grey Tower long? I'm curious to know how long it took you to earn the dress and ring Avyra?" Olin asked with genuine interest.

Avyra
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Avyra » March 14th, 2017, 12:32 pm

She merely shrugged. "There's time for everything if you make time for it. Even falconry in a busy schedule." She paused. "Even falconry with three birds."

However, with spring coming, it wouldn't be long before she would have to release them all. She didn't want to think about that. They were all she had.

"I... I think I've been an Accepted longer than anyone else here who was here when I came." She paused, swallowing. "I hate to say it, but I think they've forgotten about me." She hesitated before quickly adding. "Maybe they haven't. I don't know. Some answers would be nice, but I get none."

Damon
"The Shadow Rising"

Post by Damon » March 16th, 2017, 4:09 am

Olin 

"Three birds, now I'm even more impressed. I've only ever had hounds or horses, but I definitely think anytime with animals is well spent," Olin said cheerfully as he listened to her halting explanation. He hadn't really thought much about the pec of advancement, in the sense that one could be outpaced by his peers. 

For some reason he thought of his roommate, the layabout nobleman ho seemed to drink and dice most of his evenings away. Olin was determined to advance, his dreams seemed to constantly hound him now, and he knew he needed to earn the pin.

"Well I don't know what the teachers are like for Accepted, being mostly Aes Sedai, but in my experience if you're waiting for the harvest, only the rats are going to eat. Maybe they wait to see if a student demands they pay attention," said Olin with a pause as he shifted on the bench. 

"But don't take my word for it, like I said, I haven't had much of a  chance to talk to Aes Sedai yet," Olin said with a smile as he thought of something, "Being here this long you must know a few secrets or two. Any good knocks or crannys a Soldier should keep in mind for a chance to get away from prying eyes?" 

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik