The Two-Way Street (Attn: Alianora)

When channelers need to channel and don't want to risk breaking the Tower into a million pieces, this is where they go.
Bella
Female Channeller Representative
PC: Miahala Darrow Sedai
SC: Lysira Viathene Gaidin
TC: Gareth Tomosan Asha'man
QC: Natlya Cade Gaidin
QC: Andraste Alhandra Sedai

Re: The Two-Way Street (Attn: Alianora)

Post by Bella » January 12th, 2023, 10:54 pm

"As am I to be back with them again," Mia said easily. She knew it unnerved people to hear her speak so casually about not only her death but her return to life, but what else was she supposed to do? She couldn't pretend it didn't happen. It did, and it was a huge mystery, but there wasn't anything for it.

It was a mystery that she had tried to solve, and failed, and the years had passed. She looked forward instead.

She let all that settle for a moment before she shifted off this, having just barely touched it in the first place, and back to their previous topic...sort of. "I'm afraid despite my years in the Grey Tower, I have not closely known many Atha'an Miere. I hope you will be kind enough to let me know if I ever do something contrary or offensive," she said.

It had been something she'd considered several times since Haeden and Liaran announced their engagement. Giving offense wasn't really something she...ever worried about, but she was somewhat concerned now. After all, this wasn't just any old someone. Liaran was her daughter-in-law. That did change things.

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Liaran Sedai, Blue Ajah
SC: Amaranie Sedai, Indigo Ajah
TC: Kalyan Rihera, Yellow Ajah

Post by Alianora » January 17th, 2023, 11:40 pm

Liaran Sedai
Not knowing what to say, Liaran opted for silence as she so often did. It did not bother her, but at the same time, she felt obligated not to stay quiet for too long. She darted a glance at the woman beside her as they walked, and tried to think of some suitable topic to get to know her better. As was fairly typical for her, the Blue sister couldn't come up with a single idea, so she just kept walking, and was relieved when Miahala addressed her with a comment.

The nature of the comment, almost a question, surprised her, however, and Liaran blinked, then slowed her pace. It seemed odd to her that Miahala should even ask it, as Liaran considered herself responsible for adapting to a life lived ashore. She shrugged and said, "I won't be offended just because you don't have much knowledge of my people, I don't expect that. As I have chosen to live here, I am the one who must follow your ways," she explained.

Still, she fiddled with the edges of her long sleeves while she walked, concealing most of her hands inside them. "I get stared at sometimes, but not very often here in Hama Valon. That does make me uncomfortable, but besides that, I can't think of how you could offend me. If you want to know something...just ask me directly," she invited. There weren't many in the Tower she would have been so open with, but since Miahala would soon be family, Liaran felt she at least had to try with her.

Bella

Post by Bella » January 18th, 2023, 7:52 pm

Mia didn't slow immediately when Liaran did as it took a moment to notice it had happened, but then she did so and kept in step with the other woman. She listened and nodded, as she had been. She thought about it for a moment.

"I suppose that's true for most of us here," she said. "Except for those born here or coming to the Grey Tower from the immediately surrounding territories, we come here from a different culture and adapt to our new one. This place is of all nations and of none. It is its own. Coming from Saldaea to the Tower was perhaps not so drastic a change for you, but it was a difference all the same."

Before she could continue, they finally reached the tea shop that they probably should have reached a few posts ago but Bella didn't actually write out until now. The hostess at the door recognized Mia and brought them to an outdoor table, since the weather was nice.

Once they were seated, the Green continued. "Even so, you are a part of my family now and I would like to know more about your history and where you come from." She smiled warmly, the sort of expression that most people probably didn't think her even capable of if they'd never seen her with her family. "All in time, though. I hardly expect you to give a class on it here at the table."

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » January 25th, 2023, 3:11 am

Liaran Sedai
On arriving at the tea room, they were led to a small table outside that offered at least a little privacy. After sitting down, Liaran hid her hands under the table. She wasn't entirely sure how to respond to what Miahala had been saying, but the other woman did not even give her the chance to sit there and consider it. She continued on with a sort of question for Liaran, one that made the Blue sister feel slightly anxious. Rarely did she speak of her people and the life she'd led before coming to the Grey Tower, finding that it interfered with her desire to be just another Aes Sedai, one who belonged here as much as any other.

She gave Haeden's mother a small, nervous smile and said, "Where I come from....it really is not all that interesting. My people have our own culture, of course, but the greatest difference between the Atha'an Miere and others is that we live our lives at sea, aboard our ships, and rarely set foot on land." The Aes Sedai blinked, remembering how, as a young girl, she had dreaded the thought of a life spent ashore, among strange people, when she'd first come to the Grey Tower.

"As for my history," Liaran explained, "I was born on a darter, the smallest of our ships. My mother was the Sailmistress, responsible for deciding our course, and she raised me with the expectation that I would also achieve that rank." With a sigh, she said, "I never wanted that as much as she did, but I was perfectly content with my life until the night the Seanchan attacked."

She paused and took a breath. She so seldom spoke of this that to share it with Miahala was somewhat difficult for her, something she rather hoped the other woman understood. "That night was the first time I channeled the One Power, lighting their ship on fire, and afterwards, I was sent to learn from our Windfinders, much to the disappointment of my mother."

She looked away from the other woman, not wanting to linger on her memories of those days. She had not wanted to learn, and even when she'd tried...."It took them some time to work out that in channeling out of desperation, I had developed a block. The Windfinder I was apprenticed with had no experience with that, and it was decided then that I should be sent to the Grey Tower." Liaran shook her head, not at all used to talking that much, and certainly not about herself. It was almost embarrassing for her, and she cast her eyes shyly down at the table.

Bella

Post by Bella » January 28th, 2023, 12:01 am

Mia listened attentively, and without interruption. When Liaran finished, the elder Aes Sedai smiled kindly. "I appreciate your sharing that with me. It sounds like it must have been a difficult time for you, but I'm sure that my son is grateful that path led here." Simple, yet sincere.

A young woman wearing and apron and carrying a piece of parchment came to the table and set it down in front of them. "Welcome the Helena's Tea Room," she said in a friendly tone. "Here is the day's selection of teas and refreshments. Take your time to look it over and I'll be back shortly to take your order."

Given that the Green already knew what she'd get, she gestured for Liaran to take it.

After a moment, she continued, "My own story of coming to the Tower was far more banal that most others. I was a headstrong teenager and had a fight with my mother. She slapped me, and in a fit, I chose to run away from home. My older brother, always the cooler head, wouldn't let me go alone. We ended up at the Grey Tower by chance, really, and it was discovered I could learn to channel. So, I stayed."

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » January 31st, 2023, 11:27 pm

Liaran Sedai
Liaran looked up again when Miahala addressed her. "He may be," she agreed, "Leaving the ocean behind was not easy for me, but I am glad to have made my home here." She watched the other woman, not sure if Miahala was expecting any further response from her. The struggles she'd faced during her early years in the Grey Tower weren't something she wanted to discuss with Haeden's mother, and even less did she want to admit to having run away as an Accepted, only returning after many years at sea. The Blue sister blinked and looked down again, relieved when the server approached them.

Taking the parchment, she scanned it idly without paying much attention while she listened to Miahala's own story. It felt strange to her to picture the accomplished Green as a girl fleeing an overbearing mother, although she did try. "Did your brother also stay here?" she asked. She had never heard of Miahala's brother before, and thought she would have by now if he also lived at the Grey Tower. It occurred to her as she considered it that he might not have been able to channel as Miahala could, and if that were so, would likely have died years ago. Liaran winced, glad she was still studying the page she held.

Bella

Post by Bella » February 3rd, 2023, 10:41 pm

The question didn't bother Miahala, though. She smiled fondly. "He did for a while. He could not channel and considered training to become a Gaidin, but he found he had no taste for bloodshed." That made her chuckle. "We were very different in that as well. He remained in the city, which at that time was Elman's Creek, for almost a year until he felt confident I'd be alright.

"I let him handle communicating with the family. He told them just that we were fine at first and eventually where we were. Particularly our siblings, as we'd always been close. I was one of six, you see. Large families run, well, in the family."

The server returned so they were able to place their orders. Miahala simply ordered a special variant of tea but no food. She found that the older she got, the less she needed to eat. After Liaran also ordered, she continued, "After that, he returned to Saldaea and married his childhood sweetheart. They eventually took over the family farm and had..." She thought. "...six children of their own."

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » February 8th, 2023, 3:08 am

Liaran Sedai
Liaran set the sheet down on the table when she was done with it, continuing to listen to Miahala speak. Though the close family relationships that the other woman described were entirely foreign to her, Liaran still found it interesting to learn more of the other woman's early life. Once the server returned, she ordered only black tea, having eaten before their meeting in the Channeling Yards.

There wasn't much need for her to respond to what Miahala Sedai said, so Liaran stayed quiet, nodding when it was appropriate and keeping her eyes on the Green sister. Once Miahala finished her story, Liaran asked, "You grew up with six siblings?" To Liaran, the very idea sounded overwhelming. Trying to explain herself, she added, "I don't have sisters or brothers, so I can hardly imagine living with so many of them."

Bella

Post by Bella » February 9th, 2023, 9:13 pm

Miahala chuckled. "Even many people I know can't imagine it because they likely just have one or two siblings. Being one of six was a lot, but it was really all I knew. We were all born pretty close in age, and my two sisters were twins. That's something that also runs in the family, as I also bore a set of twins.

"Though Haeden was born well after his previous half-siblings and well before the one that followed, so he understands what it's like to be growing up without other siblings closer to his age. It's probably why he ended up spending so much time around the Yards. Having a father who was the Master of Arms made it seem like he had a wealth of parents instead."

Idly, of course, Mia did have to wonder if she'd have more grandchildren in the future...but unlike some women, and even with how blunt she could be, she would never ask that of anyone. If it did, or did not, happen would...happen or not. As the Wheel weaved, and as her son and daughter-in-law so chose. "I hope those of your husband-to-be's family haven't been too overwhelming so far." She smiled warmly.

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » February 14th, 2023, 11:34 pm

Liaran Sedai
Miahala seemed to be far more talkative than she was, but Liaran did not mind. She'd always been quieter by nature, so sitting and listening was easy for her to do. Once it was her turn to speak, the Blue sister smiled and shook her head. "Not overwhelming at all, though I haven't met many of your family so far. You, of course, and Sadira..those who also make their home here. I believe I'll be meeting a few more at our wedding." She fidgeted with the edge of a sleeve, having placed her hands back in her lap, beneath the table.

After a few moments passed, Liaran said, "Haeden and I have also talked about traveling to Saldaea to visit your family there. I don't know when we'll both have time to spare for it, but we are thinking about making that trip in the future. I hope to also spend some time with him sailing aboard one of my people's ships, but it could be years before we are both free to do that."

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik