The Hope of the Future [Attn: Bella]

Mar a'Mael: The House of Hope. A place of learning and service for the citizens of Hama Valon. Three buildings - the Museum, the University, and the House of Children - make up the House of Hope.
Andy
"A Crown of Swords"
PC: Alrim Farshera Gaidin

The Hope of the Future [Attn: Bella]

Post by Andy » February 11th, 2017, 2:50 pm

It was, perhaps, a testament to the degree to which Alrim had changed that he was now giving up some his precious free time to help aid those less fortunate than himself. Not that h was perfect, far from it. In fact t had started as a form of punishing self-reflection, a holding u of a mirror to his laziness. It had worked as it should have, he was now aware that despite how his bonds still chafed he had it far easier than some. He had had parents, for example, though they may not really wish to see him. Still, his childhood had been loving if stern and he could not say thy had let him down, much the opposite.

The House of Children was a rambunctious place, far more chaotic than the Yards and despite attempts to assert a crude order and routine it was a vain effort that was always met with childish innocence and the testing of boundaries. So far today he had separated several fights, though that was a loose term. Encounters might be better. Toys, play, pretend games. All filled him with something almost forgotten - happiness. He couldn’t see himself staying forever as a job but occasional visits would not be disdained.

“Allyrim?” someone tugged at his grey uniforms cuff, he had been distracted with his thoughts and the rest of the group he had found himself helping to oversee their play.

“What is it James?“ he knelt down as he spoke to be eye level with the lad, he found they responded better that way.

“Dav-vy! He said that you won evry fight ever cos you has to to dress like you” the enthusiasm and certainty behind the words made him chuckle, bells jangling as he shook his head, ruffled his hair and wondered if anyone had looked at him with such awe.

“I wish that were true little one, but not every one,” he saw the beginnings of a dream’s collapse in the lads eyes and speedily continued, “but most. Not a Warder yet. Then you wine very fight, see?”

“Can you teach me to win too?”

“Oh I don’t know they’d like that but…tell you what…if you can knock me down I’ll show you a trick”

“Hear that! Allyrim says…”

And that was that, the surrounding lads filled with zeal and a promise did what all boys did and jumped on him, one by one. On his knee he was stronger than them all individually but together their weight was hard to support. He batted them off gently, the play one that all young lads loved above all. He laughed in between being squashed and jumped at. Finally falling to unending numbers and energy he fell backwards with them on top of him, turning him into a veritable jumping box.

“Okay okay! You win, you win!” he levered them off and they cheered and wriggled in his grip, hanging off of him as he heaved himself upwards and back to his feet.

He rubbed himself down and straightened his uniform as best he could, there were Gaidin, Asha’man and Aes Sedai present after all, appearance mattered. Most seemed to treat such occurrences with amusement though, at least with the younger ones.

“Trick!” they demanded.

“Hah, I suppose you earned it. Tell you what, I’ll need to bring something to do it next time. I’ll show you then eh? Deal?”

Their asset was easily inferred as he waved them off and retreated to the edges with as much dignity as he could, straightening himself up further and ignoring the not-so stifled chuckles of the other learning ranks there. He was in clear space then, shaking his head and muttering to himself.
~
Arafel Will Rise, Kick Matty's Butt & Be Totally The Most Awesome Land Evar
~

Bella
Female Channeller Representative
PC: Miahala Darrow Sedai
SC: Lysira Viathene Gaidin
TC: Gareth Tomosan Asha'man
QC: Natlya Cade Gaidin
QC: Andraste Alhandra Sedai

Re: The Hope of the Future [Attn: Bella]

Post by Bella » February 12th, 2017, 8:13 pm

Since returning to the Tower--rather alone compared to how she had left it--Lysira had found some fulfillment in her free time by lending her aid to the orphanage. It simultaneously reminded her of being a child and being a parent. If only she'd had found a house like this while she was on her own...

Well, that was a long, long time ago. Not that she looked it, she realized. Bonding and ter'angreal accidents shaving a pair of decades off her appearance, but just because it was not shown did not mean it wasn't felt.

Her son was at Camden Corelle, and she was here... Being here reminded her of him as well. She missed him, but knew that he would be well protected with his father. (A thought she wouldn't linger on.) She enjoyed filling the "mother gap" by working with the kids here, usually the old ones in difficult tasks but sometimes even turns in the nurseries.

Today, she was walking through and happened to see a small horde of children overrunning a young man in the uniform of a Drin. For a moment, she wondered if he needed help but he seemed to be acquitting himself admirably until he was able to dig himself out and the children dispersed.

'Do you know him?' Lysira asked Seira, the Ji'val who looked far too old to be a Ji'val and was otherwise her frequent companion.

Seira shook her head. "I'm afraid I don't. I think I've seen him in the Yards, but he's pretty new and we haven't met."

No time like the present, she determined, and nodded in his direction. Seira returned the nod and walked with her, drawing nearer to him as he cleared the space of the others.

"The children here seem to like you a great deal," Lysira signed and Seira said as they were near enough to speak to him.

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » February 13th, 2017, 12:00 pm

Children, it was difficult to not feel strong emotion round them, be it a sense of prideful joy when they treated you like a hero or overarching empathy when they were bawling from something like a scraped knee and it was the worst incident that had ever happened. There was something about their ability to be both innocent and criminal masterminds at the same time that almost made them feel like kindred spirits. The pure embodiment of the ability to have fun. He tried not to think too deeply about what that made him at the age of 29 season cycles as he finally managed to wrestle himself into the semblance of decently dressed.

“Light preserve me I’m going to have to learn to think quicker” he chuckled to himself as he checked that the coveted silver was still in place amidst his hair, satisfied he turned and as he was about to return to the crowd two figures approached him.

His gaze took in two figures, women but of differing types, but both of them outranking him neatly. Briefly he wondered whether he had done something wrong or about to be summoned on some other less enjoyable task as was the preferred past-time given him by his tutors and overseers. He could not recall seeing the Ji’val before, nor the Gaidin, but then he didn’t get out much these days. She was Gaidin though, that was clear enough - he bowed his head to both as would be expected. She was small and wiry, raven black hair twisting in its braid as she watched him. The cast of face and the fluid movement, even the mere aura of potential threat in the way she stood marked her out clearly. He had been smacked around and berated by enough of them to know them when he saw them.

Why does she use her fingers? Can she not talk, maybe? Wait…wait…there was a story a while back. A name. Can’t remember, should have listened better… his mind told him as he looked between them both, not sure who to address the response to. He opted for the Gaidin.

“They’re good children, honest hearts,” he responded slowly, “sometimes it’s nice to come somewhere where the only expectation they have of you is to let them be what they want to be” his eyes scanned the younger ones briefly with a smile.

Memory briefly threw up something useful for once, he had seen these two before though only at a distance. Apparently helping out was what the Grey Tower instilled in you and it lasted well into your ranked years by their current presence. He couldn’t argue with it when it meant looking after those who couldn’t look after themselves.

“I talk to them like an equal, in many ways we are,” he left that unexplained, no doubt if she didn’t know of him she would soon enough, “I listen to them and try to make them laugh when I can. Many of them hadn’t had enough of laughter before coming here” he shook his head to the tinkling of bells.

“James was abandoned, I think he was knocked around too though I can‘t prove it. He trusts slowly and every so often has an…episode. Who am I to deny him the chance to jump over me if it makes him feel better?”

He remembered whom he was speaking to with a start, he hadn’t even introduced himself so caught up was he with the initial statement.

“I’m sorry, Alrim Farshera, is there something I might help you with…Gaidin? Or are you visiting the children like me?” he asked, using the title in absence of knowing her name.
~
~

Bella

Post by Bella » February 14th, 2017, 3:51 pm

There seemed to be two distinction reactions when a learning rank--particularly at the beginning--was approached by one of full rank: silence, or many words. Lysira had rarely seen anything between.

She smiled. It wasn't a big expression, since too many years as Gaidin changed that, but it was genuine. This one was starting out as a talker, she noted, but it was with warmth. Light flashed in her onyx eyes as she took him in. His hair adornment was of course a dead giveaway for him as being Arafellin.

That made her think of her foster father, although he gave up on the bells...if he'd ever worn them at all. She seemed to remember he had not known he was of a noble Arafellin house till he was older. Never mind that. He was long gone.

"I am Lysira Gaidin," she-via-Seira introduced herself. Then she nodded at the Ji'val. "This is Ji'val Seira, who acts as my translator. Rest assured that my hearing is acute, but I cannot speak. So she will be speaking for me." They paused. "Pleasure to meet you, Alrim. I enjoy meeting new Drin of the Tower, and I've not seen you around the Yards before.

"As for being here... I am visiting and helping out. I understand something of their plight and enjoy being here. Many of these children struggle to trust, and I heartily approve of anything that would bring them joy." Another pause. "You must have visited here a few times already, to know any of the children thus?" It was half curious statement and half question.

She tilted her head slightly with the curiosity, reminiscent of a woodland animal. She had long been known as Mouse, after all.

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » February 14th, 2017, 5:34 pm

Relief was first, he was not under scrutiny or in the path of an impending punishment. It was always nice to go a week without one, though at this rate he might end up worrying the Master of Training into thinking there was something wrong with him instead. The Tower was a strange place, it liked to exist in a balance he had found, if it tipped too much one way there was the sense that it wasn’t real. As far as he could make out from where he was standing at any rate.

It was still surreal, however, to talk with two people at once but only addressing one, a sort of partial ignorance of the speaker so as to have a conversation with the hand signer as they couldn’t speak so were using the voice of the ignored third party. It made his head hurt but he tried to just run along with it. It would be impolite not to and he knew where that might end up. Besides which it was a topic that was not unpleasant. So listened whilst looking at Lysira Gaidin.

“The pleasure is mine Lysira Gaidin, Ji’val Seira,” he responded once he had their names, it didn’t hurt to leave one of their ranks thinking he was decent and polite.

He left out any response to not being seen in the Yards, there was likely a reason for that. He was truthful in his response though. The only Gaidin he’d had any real conversation with had been Ravak and that stood out as a good memory too. The rest seemed intent on being obnoxious, with the odd exception. Besides which despite the mask of the Gaidin they all had she was attractive enough and that made it the more enjoyable. Her smile had been genuine he thought, that made him feel a but more comfortable.

The way her head tilted as she watched him though, that made his skin tingle a bit. Perhaps because she could not speak she had elevated observation to an art form but he was not sure he had been given such an intent stare before. Not at the Tower. As if, for a moment, Alrim was all there was and must be watched, assessed. It reminded him of the moment a deer would hear the snap of a twig and its attention would be absolute. Or a mouse as it took those first steps from its hole.

Maybe I’m not reading it right, was never good at faces he mused.

“Been here quite a lot recently, yes. It’s something to do with my time that feels…good. Helps people. I try to get here often but it’s intermittent. Training takes its toll and its time,” he told her, “funnily enough it started out as a punishment. Think they were trying to make me see that there are people need aiding. Think it worked” he smiled wryly.

“Either way I enjoy it, it’s nice to have people who like you just for being…well...you,” he shrugged slightly at that, “as to knowing them, I think it helps that I act like them. People don’t always tell everything to authority figures. Sometimes they need a friend more than a mother, or father” he reflected, somewhat aware the same could be said of himself, deep down.

“You said you understand their situation,” he asked, “does that mean you were like them too? Or have you brought some of them here? If you don’t mind my asking, of course”
~
~

Bella

Post by Bella » February 15th, 2017, 11:26 pm

Lysira listened, and appreciated what he was saying. She had heard of more than one member of the learning ranks who had been sent here in an attempt at corrective measures, but not many ended up appreciating it quite as much as this young man seemed to. It was refreshing, and far more pleasing than hearing about those who did their brief stint and fussed about it.

They ended up sounding more like the kids they were supposed to be helping than the role models they were intended to be.

"It is no great secret," Lysira-via-Seira replied. "Although it's a story long before your time. There was a period where I believed my parents to be dead, and I was on my own. This was for some years. And it was during this time that I found myself here at the Grey Tower, and found mentors that took on the role of parents until mine were discovered to be alive."

She paused and looked on him for a few more moments, that keen gaze still assessing. "And you? If I might ask in turn, what has brought you to these walls of stone and glass?"

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » February 16th, 2017, 8:14 pm

It sounded like a sadder story than was being outlined between the flashing fingers and the Ji’val’s voice. The tone itself was workman-like, perhaps because they were repeating what was seen rather than knowing what it had felt like personally. He was sure that had Lysira Gaidin been able to speak herself there would have been deeper tones to the series of speech. It was then that he realised the true downfall of being mute - expression. How could you show how you were feeling? Gestures, body language and one’s face surely had to replace the ability to talk.

It must be hard, or have been hard until she had learnt to deal with it. Forever silent and with others to speak for you. I wonder how many have learnt how to talk to her directly, have shown that level of basic respect? the thoughts slipped through his mind as he listened, resolving into a future action.

“I am sorry to hear that you had to go through that, though that it ended differently than it started is a testament of character” he nodded at her, h meant it too, he was not sure how he would have fared had he experienced the same.

Yet he was, after a fashion. Oh his parents were alive and he was older but in some ways that just meant being disowned hurt more, perhaps. He couldn’t compare but he knew how it felt for himself. There was a sad look to his face as he looked over the children, making sure they were not too out of control before he responded.

“Much the same as yourself, though my parents are still alive I am, for all purposes, disowned. I suppose I could see them smile again if I prove myself but…well, we will see. I have no mentors to replace them, wouldn’t make their lives harder” he smiled, this one more of amusement than sadness, he tried not to dwell.

“So I came here to learn to be better, in short. Make a difference. Earn pride, respect, so on, so forth. All the other Towers weren't options and being a merchant guard somehow doesn’t seem romantic enough” he said wryly.

There was a tug at his wrist cuff and he looked down into the large, open eyes of James once more. He had brought friends though they seemed to be looking at his two new friends with equal wariness and wonder.

“Allyrim, why is that lady wiggling her fingers at you? Is she teaching you the trick?”

“No James, this is Lysira Gaidin and her friend Ji’val Seira, lovely women both of them. So if you see them then you look after them alright? Next time is the trick, go on. Go along now. Next time”

He ruffled his hair and pushed them away for now, they had to learn to play amongst each other just as much as with adults. Sometimes it was more important.

“I apologise in advance if they try to jump on you,” he shook his head to the jingle of bells, “Lysira Gaidin, would you mind telling me what you’ve done as a Gaidin? I’m trying to figure out what I want to do and any advice would be helpful. All I get most of the time is weapons training, which I understand. But not many seem to want to talk about what happens once you’ve got to the top and get the cloak” his head tilted, almost a mirror to the woman’s own.

“And Light preserve me, I was rude. Is there something that you wanted me for? That I might help with at all? Here to help out after all”
~
~

Bella

Post by Bella » February 18th, 2017, 2:07 am

He was very...earnest, but she appreciated that in people. While Gaidin, and Aes Sedai and Asha'man, might be trained as they rose in ranks to be stoic and impassive, Lysira still could appreciate openness. In many ways and times, she truly preferred it. She was herself as open as she could be without causing any sorts of trouble.

The way he spoke with James made her smile. And a little wistful for her own son, even though he was well past the age of that little one.

Lysira gestured for Alrim to walk with them and not simply stand around and gain attention. "Oh, I have no especial need," Lysira said as they started walking. "I simply saw how you were with the children and wanted to compliment you on it. It's a joy for me to see joy in them. As you have noted, many a life here has been hard. It does a heart good to see them happy."

With that answered, she thought back to his other question. "Not all Gaidin do bond, but the ultimate teaching you will find as a Gaidin in training is to bond and learn how to protect a channeler while out in the world. Your specific tasks were vary depending on the one you bond to, and their Ajah is a great indicator of that."

At this, she paused and considered how best to answer about her own history of such. There were things she did not wish to tell of, or even think much of.

"I was bonded to an Indigo for a long time, who had a habit of causing and getting into sticky spots. My career as a Gaidin, when not here in the Tower helping to train others, has been one of pulling him out of those spots. Here in the Tower, I have devoted my time primarily to learning and teaching the bow. I am considered a master of such."

She had the heron-marked recurve to prove it as well.

"Those are the general paths you will follow--training yourself, training others, and learning to protect and then protecting a channeler; either as a bond, or as an unbonded who will be asked to attend on special missions at the channeler's request. A Green without a warder, for example, will often call on aid from the unbonded for dangerous trips."

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » February 19th, 2017, 3:16 pm

He followed slowly in their wake, both regretful and relieved to be moving. It was a strange paradox but despite how he liked to spend time with the children he didn’t have the energy to do it all of the time. Rest and recovery were required, he knew, and he was beginning to find a deeper level of respect for his mother and father, both of whom hadn’t had the opportunity to just leave being a parent. He smiled at her words though, a slight blush and he wisely kept quiet instead of stammering out a reply.

Seems to be happening more often these days, getting told I’m doing good. Better get used to it I suppose he thought at the same time that he also hoped.

Her words upon being a Gaidin were what he wanted to hear though, it was the path that he was on and he didn’t like not knowing where that end might be. He liked being free as a rule but when reality crashed in around him he knew that knowledge of what was expected, of what his options were, would be of paramount importance. He was solemnly quiet as she explained the general expectations, some of which he already knew or considered implicit. Some he hadn’t truly thought about much and so he made a mental note to do so.

“If you don’t Bond,” he asked slowly, considering each word carefully, “is it seen as a bad thing? I mean, if a Gaidin’s ultimate expression is as a defender of an Aes Sedai or Channeller is it seen as an expectation that you Bond, that it could be said that you can‘t really reach your pinnacle until you do it?”

He didn’t want to cause offence, nor put words to her lips, but these were issues he had had trouble with. Such things generally seemed to not be discussed with Drin too much, perhaps to discourage them from getting ideas. He was truly appreciative to find one who would say what he felt he needed to hear. His demeanour reflected that quit neatly. He also was respectful enough to ignore the comment that suggested her Bond had ended, he had no right to make any comments and counted himself lucky to have met her at all.

“I don’t doubt your mastery either and on day I would like to reach such a level, should I be fortunate enough to live to see that day. I can see the training, both yourself and others. I haven’t trained anyone myself but I know it’s a matter of time not a matter of if” he continued reflectively.

“How can you practise protecting a channelled if you haven’t spent any time doing so, though? They keep us pretty much apart most of the time,” he mused, it was only partially rhetorical, “though it could just be me. Maybe I’ll get that in time. I could learn from books some things, learn to treat wounds and track. But working as a team with a channeller…I can’t think of an easy way to replicate that. What would you suggest Lysira Gaidin?”

“And I have one more question, if it’s okay? You don’t have to answer of course,” he was quick to say just in case, “but it’s something that I was thinking about after hearing all the stories they like to tell. What’s more important when thinking about your future, the Ajah and what it represents or the person?”

He had heard them talking about it at length, his roommate was so fond of going through all of the different Ajah’s colours and creeds that he was beginning to think the boy should just Bond the stones themselves and never leave the place. It was tedious but it had made him think about himself and what he wanted, what mattered.
~
~

Bella

Post by Bella » February 19th, 2017, 11:57 pm

The litany of questions she felt flowing over her like she was some rock in a river made her remember how long it had been since she had been much around one as truly new to the Tower as Alrim seemed to be. It wasn't a bad thing, but she forgot just how many questions blossomed in your mind when you came here and began to get to know things.

She took a few moments to consider all of the questions, so she could answer them properly.

"The bond is considered a personal matter," she began with. "There are some Gaidin who do not bond because they simply have not met the right channeler, and some who choose to devote their lives instead to training the next generation of warders. Neither of these things are considered bad or shameful. Yes, the bond is pressed as the ultimate goal, but not the only.

"In some ways, that answers one of your other questions. The person is more important than the Ajah, most would agree. The personality of the person tends to align, however, so they usually go in hand. But a bond is not..." She hesitated thoughtfully.

"The bond is not unlike marriage, in a way. It is an important commitment, and ideally meant to be life-long. It's best if you and your bondmate get along, which makes the person more than their cause important. But sharing a cause helps." That was two of the questions, and the third...

It took her a moment, but then she recalled. "You will get practice at that when you're older. Drin tend to be kept focusing on the basics of learning and training. But when you progress to Ji'val, you will start having the opportunity for practical experience with channelers."

There. She thought she'd covered them all.

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik