Searching for Home [Attn: Leala]

Mar a'Mael: The House of Hope. A place of learning and service for the citizens of Hama Valon. Three buildings - the Museum, the University, and the House of Children - make up the House of Hope.
Jenny
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Larissa Saighan

Searching for Home [Attn: Leala]

Post by Jenny » February 17th, 2016, 10:29 pm

The two women walked down the well-worn path between the Grey Tower and Hama Valon. At the edge of the city, three buildings surrounded a pleasant courtyard.

As the Mistress of Novices, there were few opportunities for Mirin to leave the walls of the Tower. Visiting the Mar a'Mael with Torianin was a welcome reprieve from her daily routine. Mirin stepped forward gracefully, her riding boots peeking out from beneath her dark blue dress. After two years, the agelessness of the Oaths had finally settled on her face, but it was clear that she was still very young for a sister. They approached the gate. The guard took one look at Mirin's smooth face, saluted, and then allowed them inside.

They moved toward the eastern building. The Aes Sedai spoke softly as they walked.

"The work of an Aes Sedai is to serve the people. Each Ajah serves in its own way; as leaders, or protectors, or advisors, or scholars. The Blue Ajah strives to serve the causes of the people. We feed the hungry and help the poor. We speak for those who cannot speak, we fight for those who cannot fight. And we try to create a home for those without a home.

"The Mar siolan'an exemplifies the work of the Blue Ajah. A common misconception is that the Blue Ajah is only concerned with laws and judgment. This is false. We concern ourselves with law and judgment so that we may serve our ultimate cause, the cause of the people. We use the law to help us distinguish right and wrong, but it should not define our actions or our decisions. In the Mar siolan'an, or the House of Children, we want to act justly, to make the right decisions, but our duty here is not to pass judgment. We are here to serve."

They stood before the eastern building. Inscribed above the entrance door were the words: Mar far masiara ma'nien siolin'an rhyagelle.

"House of beloved lost children who come home," Mirin translated. Then, without knocking, she pushed open the door.

They walked through the entrance hall, and then turned down a hallway. Noise spilled from the classrooms. There was very little screaming or wailing; instead, loud singing of children's songs and cheerful laughter drifted through the air. A dozen children came down the hall, the older children each holding the hand of a younger. They chattered excitedly. The middle-aged woman ushering them down the hall curtsied as she passed by the two women.

Mirin turned to look at the passing children, and then smiled at Torianin. "What do you think?" she asked. "I mentor a few of the children here. Would you like to meet them?"

Leala
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Leala Gymorraine, Aes Sedai of the White Ajah
SC: Torianin Soulane, Aes Sedai of the Red Ajah
TC: Jhanic, Asha'man of the Indigo Ajah
QC: Abby Soulane, Novice

Re: Searching for Home [Attn: Leala]

Post by Leala » February 21st, 2016, 7:17 pm

Torianin walked easily next to Mirin Sedai as they made their way off Tower grounds. She had finally decided it was time to volunteer with the children at Mar a'Mael. She had understood two years ago that this would be her decision to make, and even though she was not close to being raised to Aes Sedai yet, and she still had not found a future Ajah home, she knew that she had grown enough to try to help others. She was in a place now that she knew herself well enough to give guidance to children. As she strode to the Tower gates with the Mistress of Novices, she knew this was a proud moment. She remembered that day, tears streaking her face, as she confessed her fears and frustrations since coming to the Grey Tower. Those were still a part of her, but not her driving force. She wanted to help the world, in some capacity, and she was beginning to see how she would do that.

She had seen the House of Hope a few times when coming to Hama Valon with friends for days free of study, and now she was walking towards it with an Aes Sedai who wanted to show her how her Ajah helped the world. It made her smile. Mirin Sedai explained that the Blue Ajah saw to the needs of the people, and that they were there to serve them. Torianin rather liked that idea. She liked the idea of this place as well.

When Mirin opened the doors to Mar siolan'an, Torianin felt a mix of emotions when she heard the children. She felt excited, because they were singing and sounded mostly happy, but at the same time, she had not dealt with children in a very long time. Before she could feel doubts well up, she listened to Mirin Sedai. These little ones took mentors from the Grey Tower. That made a lot of sense. Aes Sedai dealt with so many parts of the world and how it worked, and they were all very well educated. She knew that the children under her care were well cared for. She nodded, feeling a smile bloom on her face. "Yes, I would like to meet them."

Jenny
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Larissa Saighan

Post by Jenny » February 27th, 2016, 1:02 am

Mirin smiled. "Let's see if we can find them." She lead Torianin back to the entrance hall and found one of the smaller rooms tucked away to the side. There was a heavyset woman sitting behind a desk that was overflowing with paperwork. She looked up as the two women entered her office.

"Hello Ceta," said Mirin. The woman stood and curtsied, surprisingly graceful despite her weight.

"Mirin Sedai, it's a pleasure to see you! And who is this?" The woman peered over her eyeglasses at Torianin.

"This is Torianin, Accepted of the Grey Tower," said Mirin.

The woman grinned, revealing a gap-toothed smile. "Welcome, welcome," she said. "So, Mirin Sedai, how can I help you?"

"Would you happen to know where Serelia is? Or Marcie?"

"Oh, you know Serelia. Always buried in her books. I expect she's studying somewhere in the Sharom. Marcie is on kitchen duty today, though, so you should be able to find her there."

"Thank you, Ceta."

Mirin lead Torianin downstairs into the basement. As they walked, Mirin told Torianin about her young students.

"I worry about Serelia," she confessed. "She used to be a juvenile delinquent and stole anything she could get her hands on. Now, she wants to be a lawyer. Of course, I am not opposed to women becoming lawyers, but there are so very few of them. In fact, I think there has never been a female lawyer in Hama Valon. I worry that she will face discrimination, or worse."

She rubbed her brow thoughtfully. "Serelia would have done excellently in the Grey Ajah, or the Blue, but she cannot channel. I think she would make an wonderful assistant for a sister or brother. And that way, she would still be able to work with the law. What do you think, Torianin?"

Leala
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Leala Gymorraine, Aes Sedai of the White Ajah
SC: Torianin Soulane, Aes Sedai of the Red Ajah
TC: Jhanic, Asha'man of the Indigo Ajah
QC: Abby Soulane, Novice

Post by Leala » March 6th, 2016, 8:00 pm

Torianin walked alongside Mirin Sedai as she heard the story of Serelia. Had she been raised in Seanchan, her path in life would have likely been set for her. But, here, under the guidance of the Grey Tower, she was given a chance to build her life up as she chose. "I think it's very likely that she has the will to be able to be a lawyer, even in a place where there have been no women who held that position. She had to survive in her own way before coming here, then had the strength to turn her life around, and so dramatically. And the Grey Tower is known for fostering good relations between the sexes. I think she could make it."

She paused as she looked around this place, the two of them picking their way down the halls toward Serelia. "I think that an assistant to a sister or brother would be a good plan, if the first one does not work out. It's not that I think that this plan would be bad for her, but I think that people should have their own choice in what they do with their lives." She left off why she thought that. Mirin Sedai knew her well enough that she knew the exact reason why she preferred to give people their own choices.

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik