Dreams that Burn (Atn: Elan)

Tel'aran'rhiod and Portal Worlds
Bridget
"Lord of Chaos"
PC: Haxia do Catalan a'Coralle

Re: Dreams that Burn (Atn: Elan)

Post by Bridget » January 1st, 2018, 11:38 pm

Haxia
She might have blushed at Mael’s praise, if she didn’t feel so utterly unsettled. As it was, she simply nodded in recognition; the idea that Mael had seen places only in Tel’aran’rhiod, and never in the waking world, was far more interesting than a well done. She curled her toes in her slippers, feeling the give of the carpet under her feet, and considered that idea. “How do you know that you have seen those places as they truly are, then?” Haxia asked him, words slow and thoughtful. “How would you know that you have actually been there- could you not have sent yourself to a place you imagine to be the Stone of Tear, that is not actually the Stone in Tel’aran’rhiod? If things other than people are both real and not real, I don’t think I would trust the Stone to be the Stone, not if I didn’t already have an idea of what it should be.”

Haxia liked the idea that she might move herself about Tel’aran’rhiod with a stray thought even less. She had done it, more than once, and it was always jolting and terrible. Haxia had not actually known that she had moved herself before now; she had accepted it as one of Tel’aran’rhiod’s oddities, just like doors that would not stay closed nor open. She bit her lip uncertainty, and thought I do not want to see the Stone of Tear as fiercely as she could.

“No.” The word was out of her mouth before she realized that she was speaking. “I mean,” Haxia started again, startled and wrong footed, “only that I have had enough excitement for one night.” And she had! It seemed hours ago now, but she had been chased by a fiery nightmare, and even more than that, bringing herself to the Amyrlin’s office by sheer force of will was already quite enough for one dream. “I would be happy to try to visit the Stone of Tear another time.” She felt small and inelegant speaking so, but Tel’aran’rhiod had scrambled her usual wit. It made Haxia glad that it had been Mael who had happened upon her, not her usual teacher; Jesanyne would have jumped at the chance to make her feel even smaller.

“I would like to go back to sleep. Could you- teach me to do that for myself?” It was the one skill of the World of Dreams that Haxia was eager, even desperate, to learn. “I would be very glad to have you as a teacher.” It was the most proper way Haxia could think of to respond, and hardly touched at the depth of that feeling. Oh, she was almost certain she would have begged him to take her on if he had not offered! He had taught her more in an hour than Jesanyne had taught her in a month, and Haxia certainly had a far better impression of him than she had of the surly Accepted. She was, she realized with a more than a little dismay, glad of the monster that had brought him to her. She had never thought she would be grateful for a ghastly fire monster.

Elan
"Lord of Chaos"
PC: Jaren Marle, Asha'man
SC: Mael Akashi, Asha'man
TC: Delaine Taborwin, Novice
QC: Valentin Akashi, Soldier

Re: Dreams that Burn (Atn: Elan)

Post by Elan » January 21st, 2018, 5:34 pm

Mael
Mael gave the Novice a brief half-grin in response to the question. “Short answer, I’ve seen plenty of evidence elsewhere that places are the same in Tel’aran’rhiod and in the waking world,” he said. “The more long-winded version would be that permanent fixtures are the same in the waking world and here. The more fixed something is in the waking world, the more consistently it will appear in here. Buildings, cities, things you can’t pick up and carry away are considered permanent. Furniture is a little less so; you might see a chair in a certain spot when you enter a room, and it could be a little to the right after you look away. If a room has been recently redecorated, things may even flip between the old and new furniture. And things that are not fixed at all are very ephemeral; letters, documents, a book or a pen on a table, clothes in a wardrobe, that kind of things will appear and disappear and even a fully trained Dreamwalker won’t be able to reliably fix them in place.”

He looked around for something to help make the point, but rummaging through the Amyrlin’s desk for the sake of a lesson probably wasn’t the best thing to do. Well, Haxia was a bright kid, undoubtedly she’d got the point anyway. “And if you needed proof,” he went on, “of the permanent nature of, well, permanent fixtures, consider this. I could paint the Tower red for you,” or at least parts of the Tower, probably not the whole thing, not that he’d ever tried, “but as soon as I stopped focusing on it, or if I woke up, it would return to its real colour. Cities, buildings, they’ll appear the way they look in the waking world unless somebody is actively changing their appearance.”

If Haxia was still skeptical, she kept her doubts to herself; she seemed to agree that the lesson had already taken up enough of her precious sleeping hours. As for exiting Tel’aran’rhiod and entering regular sleep… “Learning that is similar to learning to stay away entirely,” he said, “in that it comes with time. A trick that helped me when I was still learning, is imagining a door and stepping through it, with regular sleep waiting on the other side.” Another quick smile. “Take a physical step if you need to; that’s what I used to do.” She might get it right away, or she might not; she had already showed an impressive affinity to the World of Dreams and her doubts were her worst enemy right now. And if it didn’t work right away, he’d help her.
Spoiler: show
I'm sorry about the delay! Anyway, we can finish the thread here, or time skip forward to more advanced T'A'R shenanigans, or whatever you'd like! Either way I'd love to write with you again, doesn't have to be Dreaming-related~

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik