Looking for Trouble (attn: Bella)

The World outside the Grey Tower is a vast place.
Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Liaran Sedai, Blue Ajah
SC: Amaranie Sedai, Indigo Ajah
TC: Kalyan Rihera, Yellow Ajah

Re: Looking for Trouble (attn: Bella)

Post by Alianora » October 19th, 2019, 10:15 pm

Liaran Sedai
While Liaran had not worn the shawl for nearly as many years as Nykkolaia, one did not reach it at all without at least some ability to hide her emotions. She did this now, looking at Nykkolaia and giving a short nod of acknowledgement that could have meant anything. Then she turned towards the street and began to think through what to say next to keep progressing towards the goal.

She did not rush herself, continuing at an ordinary pace down the street beside the other woman. To anyone else around them, Liaran suspected they looked more like a pair of old friends out for a walk than a pair of Aes Sedai engaged in a serious conversation, or would if the observer failed to notice Haeden staying close to them. She asked casually, "How long have you been working at the orphanage? You might know more than you think, if you've been there a while." The question wasn't strictly necessary, since she and Haeden already had a general idea of when Nykkolaia would have arrived in Harmon, but she hoped the feigned interest would encourage the other Blue to be a little more forthcoming with her.

Liaran took a breath, then continued to talk, weighing each word carefully as she spoke. "I know most of the children there are orphans, but I have to wonder if you've encountered any who were orphaned as a result of the murders Haeden and I have been following. It's rather unusual, actually; all of the victims were parents of young children, yet none of the children were ever physically harmed. Even children old enough to talk about what they might have seen were spared. There's been at least one murder that we know of here in Harmon, so it would be no surprise if one or more of them had recently come into your care."

Bella
Female Channeller Representative
PC: Miahala Darrow Sedai
SC: Lysira Viathene Gaidin
TC: Gareth Tomosan Asha'man
QC: Natlya Cade Gaidin
QC: Andraste Alhandra Sedai

Post by Bella » October 21st, 2019, 9:23 pm

Nykkolaia glanced sidelong at the woman, briefly, as she considered the words. The questions were asked casually, but when did an Aes Sedai ever do anything that was truly...casual? No, there was a point here, and the Blue who had long been away from the Tower had a pretty good idea of what that point was.

It was now only a question of what she was going to do about it.

"I think it has been just over a month since I came to this city and chose to offer my services to the children in the orphanage's care," she said slowly, eyes forward as she spoke. "I am afraid that I am often not aware of all the circumstances of the children who come here, however. Many are traumatized, but that may be from incidents like you speak of or other things. The orphanage mistress would be the better one to ask that question."

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » October 23rd, 2019, 12:57 am

Liaran Sedai
"Oh, you must mean Miss de Scall," Liaran said as they continued to walk. "We were able to meet with her earlier in the afternoon. She was quite helpful. In fact, she's the one who suggested that we speak with you." Liaran felt a pang of guilt at making that claim, which wasn't quite true, and reminded herself that some less than truthful statements were going to be necessary. She kept her eyes on the street ahead of them as she continued to talk. "She spoke quite highly of you, and told us how good you are with the children. She appeared to think you know many of them well." While Miss de Scall hadn't exactly said that, Liaran was sure Nykkolaia knew far more about the children than she'd admitted to them.

A quick look towards the other woman revealed nothing of Nykkolaia's thoughts, her expression as unreadable as Liaran's own, and Liaran wondered what to say next. Do I risk bringing up the suspect's love of children now, or would it be better to wait? Having to ask herself that made it easier for her to decide not to take that risk, not yet.

Instead, she said with the same false friendliness she'd displayed earlier, "So Nykkolaia, what made you decide to come to Harmon? I'm sure you know that the Grey Tower is involved with an orphanage in Hama Valon that's very close to the Tower." It was another question to which she already had an answer, but she wanted to hear what Nykkolaia would say to it. She wouldn't be able to tell a direct lie, but Liaran did not expect the response she'd get to be anything close to the truth she knew.

Bella

Post by Bella » October 29th, 2019, 6:15 pm

"I am aware, yes," Nykkolaia replied coolly. They continued walking for a few moments before she stopped and turned to face the other Aes Sedai. The elder Blue did not look directly at the Gaidin, but she was fully aware of his presence there.

With her hands loosely laced before her, she affected a small, cold smile. "Sister, I do not have much time for a must get back to helping the children. They are understaffed, and my absence will be noticed. So, I would appreciate it if we could wrap this up. I'm afraid I don't have anything to give that will help your inquiries."

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » October 30th, 2019, 10:25 pm

Liaran Sedai
By the time Nykkolaia stopped and tried to excuse herself, Liaran wasn't smiling at all. Her expression was grave and serious as she turned to the other woman, looking into her eyes. Before meeting with her, Liaran had strongly suspected her of being behind the killings, but after speaking to her, Nykkolaia's attempts to evade her questions and deflect attention towards others had left Liaran with no doubt in her mind that her suspicions were correct. She took a deep breath, not taking her eyes off the other Blue for even a second as she considered what to say next. It seemed that she would have to confront Nykkolaia with all the evidence she and Haeden had gathered, with no way to predict how the other Blue would respond. It was a risk, one she'd hoped she would not have to take, but it had to be done. She had no intention of allowing Nykkolaia to go free, seeking another victim.

When she spoke, all traces of her former assumed friendliness were gone. "I think you do, actually." she said. "We started our travels back in Jornhill..." Her voice wasn't cold, but completely emotionless. She did not accuse Nykkolaia of anything directly, but stuck strictly to what she and Haeden had learned. Nykkolaia's presence in the Hawes home the night of that death, her well known coldness towards adults, the rumors of a badly scarred woman fleeing another murder scene here in Harmon....it all made quite the compelling case. For good measure, Liaran added in what she knew of the kidnappings and killing that had taken place many years ago, in another town Nykkolaia had visited, and a few more bits of information she had learned from reading what the Reds had sent her. Through all of this, she barely moved, entirely focused on the woman in front of her. While Liaran appeared as calm and serene as she had on the day when she'd been tested for the shawl, she felt apprehensive, uncertain of how Nykkolaia would react to her knowledge. She stood still, watchful, readying herself for anything the other woman might do.

Bella

Post by Bella » November 6th, 2019, 2:44 am

Nykkolaia listened to everything, equally blank on the outside. Her eyes lifted briefly to the Gaidin, who she noticed had tensed slightly behind his Aes Sedai. She kept listening...pursing her lips slightly as she mulled it over. She considered all that was being said as well as what wasn't being said. Not in so many words, at least.

"You seem to be building on something, Sister," Nykk said with a chill in her voice. "What do you intend to do about it, then?"

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » November 7th, 2019, 2:13 am

Liaran Sedai
Liaran hardly blinked as she continued to watch the other woman. While the question sounded innocent enough, she did not believe Nykkolaia hadn't guessed by now what she meant to do. Few stupid women ever reached the shawl, and what she'd learned of Nykkolaia spoke of a woman who was definitely not one of those. She could almost feel the tension building in the air between them, and what she sensed through the bond suggested that she wasn't the only one who'd noticed it. It made her even less inclined to take her eyes off the other Blue.

Dark eyes bored into Nykkolaia's light blue ones, and she spoke with calm determination. "I am going to return to the Grey Tower and bring this matter to the Hall. A charge this serious will not go ignored." She took a breath and then continued, "I am sure they will want to hear from you, so you might wish to travel back with us. It will look better for you if you show that you are willing to answer to them." Though she made it sound like a suggestion, it wasn't. Liaran was prepared to haul the other Blue back to the Tower by force if it came to it. It wasn't something she wanted to do, but if it became necessary, she would.

Bella

Post by Bella » November 10th, 2019, 8:40 pm

Nykkolaia pursed her lips slightly, tilting her head. Every moment was a small gesture, just enough to be perceived from the outside. She considered the woman before her and the man behind her, contemplating the situation and her options. "And if I refuse, Sister, and choose to wait? To see if the Hall actually considers your suppositions worthy of summoning before I leave this place?"

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » November 11th, 2019, 11:27 pm

Liaran Sedai
Liaran's stomach twisted inside her as she thought of what she would have to do if Nykkolaia resisted returning with them. To use force against another Sister, or allow her Warder to, was nothing she'd ever wanted to do, and the idea of it filled her with revulsion. Her resolve to do so if it became necessary, however, had not weakened, and she searched her mind for words that would make that clear to Nykkolaia. Ignoring her own emotions, Liaran kept the expressionless Aes Sedai mask in place as she watched the other woman and thought.

"It would be best," Liaran repeated, "if you come willingly." The dark eyes locked on Nykkolaia's own flashed as she spoke, each word chosen carefully. "If you choose not to, then you will leave me no other choice but to make you. While I cannot speak for your guilt or innocence in this, I am not going to risk any further deaths here because I chose to let you remain." The Aes Sedai itched to reach for saidar and prepare to carry out what might have to be done. She fought this temptation, if barely, and took a deep breath as she awaited Nykkolaia's decision.

Bella

Post by Bella » November 20th, 2019, 6:03 pm

Nykkolaia was silent for a long time. It was by choice, of course, as she had no desire to make anything easy for these two. Their presence here was trouble for her, and it was not something that she in the least appreciated. Her mind rolled through her choices, as well as all of the words that had been said.

Finally, she inclined her head ever-so-slightly. "I will return with you," she said. "Will you return to the orphanage with me so that I might inform the mistress there that she will not have my aid tonight?"

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik