A Calling [Attn: Lugh]

The World outside the Grey Tower is a vast place.
Bella
Female Channeller Representative
PC: Miahala Darrow Sedai
SC: Lysira Viathene Gaidin
TC: Gareth Tomosan Asha'man
QC: Natlya Cade Gaidin
QC: Andraste Alhandra Sedai

Re: A Calling [Attn: Lugh]

Post by Bella » February 25th, 2019, 4:44 pm

She let his warmth chase away the chill that had wrapped around her spine and settled onto her heart, and she focused on her breathing falling in time to his. For a few moments, Isla didn't speak. She continued to ground herself in the moment and look at things with a cool, logical eye and mind.

"I would not call him or his men elite," she finally said, "unless they have progressed greatly since I left. Which..." She laughed, faintly and without mirth. "...was a long time ago now.

"They were not fools, however, nor were they weaklings. They were trained well and trained hard. They all had skill. Nothing compared to a Gaidin of the Grey Tower of course, but they were better than your average foot soldier. The problem more is their numbers. My father would often segment his unit depending on the place and the task. I can't guess how many we may face here.

"But that is no different than it was before I knew the men we saw. This really does not change the mission, only my perception of it."

Lugh
MoNSTer

Post by Lugh » February 26th, 2019, 4:42 pm

Beron Beron thought for a moment as Isla explained her father's soldiers and their likely skill, a small smile when she mentioned that it had been a long time since she had been among those men. They will not fathom the strength you have found now, he almost said, but then he recalled that in many ways, Isla preferred not to think of the more destructive abilities the One Power gave her. She had the heart of a healer after all, he knew and as she stated that it changed little beyond her perception of the mission, he did smile.

"You could have grabbed a white stole with logic like that my heart. And you are right, now that the shock is gone and past, we always knew the numbers were unknown and the skill were unknown as well," Beron said softly as he held her in his arms. Her eyes had a look to them, that reminded him of the night she had offered him her bond, asked if he would stand beside her. She had come through the rain, to his room in the middle of the night, scared and chased by the past; and now would be facing it head on. He couldn't make that easier, but he could chase away the darkness tonight, and so he moved her curls and kissed her neck softly, his fingers easing the ties at her bodice. Tonight he would hold her, let her sleep safe and warm in his arms, and the morning would bring what trouble the Wheel held for them. "Isla, let's get some rest, the worries will seem easier by dawn, and tonight I want to hold you," he said softly into her ear as he eased her blouse off her shoulders.

Bella

Post by Bella » March 7th, 2019, 1:15 am

A soft shiver raced through her at his gentle words and the touch his hand to begin disrobing her.

There was nothing within either Isla's heart or mind that suggested these worries would be any easier in the morning. It would take far longer than that for these shadows to brighten and shrink, because the specters raised by this awareness were large and terrifying. They were enough to make her blood feel as ice...

...yet she kept these thoughts to herself. Even the bond did not whisper of them, because she took his presence and the sheer feeling of his feelings and wrapped it all around her like a cloak of armor.

"We should rest," she agreed, her voice little more than a whisper of sound on her exhalation as she breathed out and moved her body in time to the gentle directions of his hands. "I would like that. I need...you..." she said, faltering slightly because it could still be an unusual thing for her to admit, but it was more true than most anything. "I need you to help ward me from myself."

Lugh
MoNSTer

Post by Lugh » March 11th, 2019, 6:10 pm

Beron “We should rest,” she agreed, and Beron could feel how distracted she was, how her body moved to the direction of his hands, while she had a far away gaze in the eyes he knew so well. Gently he disrobed her, taking care to not overly rumple her clothing and even though the sight of her in her shift drew his eyes, he took a deep breath and gently got her into the bed. “I need you… I need you to ward me from myself,” she said softly, and he kissed her gently.

“We will rest, and I am here,” he promised her as he quickly shed his own clothing, taking a moment to hang his sword belt where he would have quick access to it. Checking the window and door one last time, he blew out the candle and found his way to their bed by the moonlight. Climbing into the covers, he could feel her shivering and Beron was unsure if it was the cold or simply the trials of the day. Although as he pulled her back against his chest, and stroked her hair and shoulder, he could feel her body slowly relax against his touch. Placing his head near hers, he let his hands ground her, let his touch on her body sooth and remind her he was there. Through the bond she would sense his love, his concern and mostly his steady resolve to be there for Isla, through the long night and through whatever dawn brought them.

Bella

Post by Bella » March 20th, 2019, 4:07 pm

Sunlight slipped in between the gaps in the thin curtains covering the window, snaking towards the bed and wrapping around Isla's eyelids until the intensity of the light was enough to rouse her from her slumber. Blue eyes opened grudgingly, but only for a moment before she snapped them shut again.

She realized that they had shifted during the night and now she lay with her back to his chest, but his arms had kept the nightmares at bay, she knew. She was grateful.

Very carefully, she twisted her body back around to find his chest once more. The skin coarse and corded from years of training to be a Gaidin and from being one, the roughness of the hair, the faint lines of a scar here or there... It was all so familiar, and it brought her comfort that she had never before known in her life.

Isla, unwilling to face the day just yet, buried her face in that chest and willed the rest of the world to just...wait.

Lugh
MoNSTer

Post by Lugh » March 21st, 2019, 3:48 pm

Beron stirred slowly, the noise from the street just beginning to filter through the slats of the window. Sunlight streamed softly through the thin curtains, and he stifled a groan as he stretched. Rubbing his eyes, he saw Isla curled on his chest and he smiled. She was beautiful, and he watched as the sun fell upon her curls, her breath soft against his skin as she held him tightly.

It had taken them awhile to sleep, the discovery from last night having upset Isla and they had simply held each other until falling asleep. There had been a few occasions between them when Isla had needed to draw comfort and strength from his presence, including the night that had led to their bonding. A night he would always remember fondly, especially as he considered the knot of emotions that lived in his mind was a woman he had grown to love.

The day awaited, and there would need to be at least scouting the area in order to decide when they could risk rescuing the woman they had come for. Although with the whispers and mutters he had overheard last night, Beron was beginning to wonder if they would not be rescuing a few women from the Whitecloaks.

Sighing, not wanting to force Isla into the crucible that awaited them, but knowing the only other option was to leave those poor women to the weavings of the Pattern; he gently stroked Isla's hair and neck to wake her from her dozing.

Bella

Post by Bella » March 24th, 2019, 2:01 am

"I'm awake," she murmured into his chest without looking up. "Under protest."

Despite all desire to be back asleep, she could not achieve it. The nerves of the night before had re-seeded themselves in the bottom of her stomach, no matter how much teaching and training of 'Aes Sedai Serenity' she had been granted. This was too deep a thing for any of that to touch. It was a scar that had been cut open, just like she used to do when first getting to the Tower.

There was a part of her, she was almost ashamed to admit even to herself, that was seriously contemplating just...leaving. Tell someone else and let them make work of this.

Isla knew that part would have no traction within her mind, her heart, or her conscience... She was here, and she knew what that girl--or perhaps, those girls--were facing now. Whether channelers or not, if there was a suspicion, their fate would be the same. She couldn't just leave them to that without trying to help, no matter what commander or whose men were out there.

She exhaled, almost sadly. "I suppose we cannot just hide here all day, can we?" she asked, her voice little more than a whisper.

Lugh
MoNSTer

Post by Lugh » March 26th, 2019, 5:02 pm

"I'm awake," she murmured into his chest without looking up. "Under protest."

Beron smiled softly, and let her take a few more moments of peace. As much as he wanted to chase away the nerves and the feelings he could sense her wrestling with; he knew that would take longer than they had. She had shared many of her secrets and fears with him over the time they had been together, and he could imagine how raw this would all be feeling again.

After awhile, with him holding her softly and running his fingers through her curls, she stirred against his chest and exhaled, almost sadly. "I suppose we cannot just hide here all day, can we?" she asked, her voice little more than a whisper.

"No dear heart we can't. If what we overheard yesterday is true, they have a number of young women. And we both know they won't wait long with the Questionners. I thought I'd get dressed and head out to see what I can find, and that will give you some time to either dress as well, or take food in the commons. Either way, I'll take a look around and come back," he said as he gently slid out from under her. He smiled sadly as he smelled her on his skin, and he quickly pulled his shirt and jacket over his head. If he stayed much longer, he knew he would either try to kiss her feelings away, or spend the day letting her simply be. Neither of which they could afford truly, when they got back to the Grey Tower, he could lock their door and allow her all the time she needed.

Sliding on his sword belt, stashing the daggers in their loops as well he could feel himself surrounding himself in the Void. Pausing, he took a moment to burn the worst of his fears into the Flame before releasing the Void. He could not risk the telltale sign of a stone faced Gaidin, instead he recalled the carefree and easy walk of a calvaryman on leave. A full purse and a chance to explore any new town would have excited him back in Saldaea, and so he nodded to the Mistress of the Inn, and made his way onto the streets.

------

What he saw worried him, Beron decided after having wandered the streets of town for the morning. He had broken his fast at another cart, the pastry flaky and buttery, with a sweet filling of assorted fruits. He had asked the woman to wrap a couple for Isla, and as he wandered the streets, he made sure to stop and purchase the occasional item. As he did he noticed the tightness and reserve many of the women showed. He felt little need to flirt with Isla in his life, but the reputation of most Saldaeans was well known, and he had never lacked for women wanting to see if there was a kernel of truth to the legendary prowess. Which made him blush, especially as he was no longer a virgin, had finally shared that connection with Isla.

But here the women were distant, worried. A merchant seeing him eyeing her goods, would easily flash a smile or compliment his choice for his sweetheart; here they made sure to keep their eyes lowered and voices soft. Part of that was clearly the patrols, he had spotted knots of Whitecloaks strutting through the middle of the street and forcing those to move to the side or be accosted. A few times he had been forced to endure sneers and insults from the patrols, their words making it clear they viewed mercenaries as barely above the darkfriends they reportedly hunted.

He had also managed to learn the general direction of their camp, and the fact that many of them had begun to take lodging in the town as they worked to subdue the populace. Sighing as the last patrol moved around the corner, he realized it was time to go back and let Isla know what he had seen.

Bella

Post by Bella » April 1st, 2019, 10:39 pm

Despite every wish of her heart in that moment, Isla did not lay abed for the entire time Beron was within the city.

She fought to subdue her nerves that he was out alone, forcing herself to slide out of bed and get dressed. She once more donned the look of a mercenary and sword-for-hire, though she waited to put on the sword part of that. She took her time to sit on the edge of the bed and tightly bind her hair in a braid that hung long over her shoulder.

Once that was done, she knew there was no more procrastinating.
* * * Isla settled herself to a seat semi-secluded but without seeming so in the common room of the inn. She ordered a simple breakfast from the serving girls working the early shift, who weren't the same who had been working the night before. It didn't really matter to her if they recognized her or not, but she took note.

As she ate, she was abruptly aware of someone walking toward her table. The bond knew it wasn't Beron, so she glanced up to put her blue-eyed flat gaze upon a young man. He flashed what she interpreted was meant to be a charming smile. He looked years younger than her, so she wasn't sure what he thought he was doing.

"I haven't seen you in town before," he said, flashing that smile again before taking a bite of an apple and chewing like a cow.

"I haven't been here before," she answered blandly. She considered sending him on his way, but chose to indulge him--for a moment--to see if he had any useful information.

"Exciting times," he went on, speaking with his mouth full enough that she watched flecks of apple juice and bits go flying. "You came at the right time, if you like seeing the streets swept clean of witches."

Isla's back teeth ground together but she kept her face schooled with calmness.

"Yes, I've seen the Children of the Light here in town," she said. "I imagine they are quite busy."

He nodded eagerly. "I'm gonna join them before they leave," he said, enthusiasm flashing through his eyes.

Isla swallowed down her stomach. Part of her mind, the old part, appraised him. He was too skinny. "Oh?"

"They're just outside town, you know!" he exclaimed. "Took over Old Man Calter's farm. Good choice too because he's got the best cattle for the slaughter. Costs you a ton, but maybe that price will come down when the Children are done with it all."

"I imagine so," she drawled.

Useful information, even with the apple bits...

Lugh
MoNSTer

Post by Lugh » April 3rd, 2019, 4:11 pm

Beron could feel Isla's annoyance, the bond letting him know something was irritating her even before he entered the common room. As he moved his way into the common room, he could see the young man talking with Isla. Her irritation became clear to him then, and he was going to knock some sense into the kid, when he realized she was letting him yammer on in the hopes of getting information.

The rest of the common room seemed unconcerned, and by his words it was clear the kid was a local. So Beron grabbed a stool at the bar, one that would let him look over the common room, without looming over Isla. She could handle herself he knew, even without channeling and after seeing her in the ambush at Tar Valon, he was less concerned about a bored city boy wanting to look worldly.

Sipping his wine, and picking at the bread the innkeeper had given him, he knew Isla would sense his presence and amusement through the bond. And so he took on the appearance of a man absently eating breakfast and letting the flow of conversation wash over him.

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik