Making Amends (White Tower, open)

The World outside the Grey Tower is a vast place.
Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Liaran Sedai, Blue Ajah
SC: Amaranie Sedai, Indigo Ajah
TC: Kalyan Rihera, Yellow Ajah

Re: Making Amends (White Tower, open)

Post by Alianora » April 29th, 2018, 8:04 pm

Liaran Sedai
"No," Liaran said quietly, though she didn't think she sounded very convincing. "I'm supposed to stay where I was assigned this morning....and I can't avoid the sisters from the White Tower forever." She knew that was true, but Liaran couldn't claim she liked it much. Determined to deal with her fear as well as she could, Liaran returned to where they had been working earlier to find Orinna already busy. She got back to work herself, and while she did, she wondered why Haeden had chosen to work here instead of going on patrol. She hadn't missed what he'd said earlier, strongly suggesting that he would go wherever she went. Surely he didn't come here just to be near me. Since she had no way to know what he was thinking, Liaran decided that the Gaidin's motivations would just have to remain a mystery to her.

Regardless of Haeden's reason for being here, she was grateful that he was. She'd come here alone, knew that she could have managed by herself, but Liaran had to admit it was far easier to work, especially here, with a friend beside her. She kept working, opening bags and boxes and passing out supplies, until she was distracted by the sound of a wagon rumbling through the streets. It was a sound Liaran remembered well from being brought here in one, and she lifted her head to search for its source. As she did, the ruins of the White Tower were clearly visible before her. Some of the walls remained standing in places, and when she caught sight of one of these sections, Liaran couldn't stop herself from recalling the first time she'd been brought here, when the White Tower had been whole.

The Aes Sedai shuddered, and the sack of pears she'd been holding fell from her hands. Fruit spilled from the bag to roll across the ground, but Liaran did not notice. She continued to shake, though she stayed on her feet. Her dark eyes, unblinking, remained fixated on the ruins. Her memories threatened to consume her, of being held, helpless and paralyzed in a wagon like the one she'd heard, and of the taste of forkroot forcibly poured into her mouth. Worse yet was recalling her arrival here, being imprisoned, with no knowledge of her eventual fate. She shivered, feeling nothing but the fear she could still clearly recall, and felt her breathing begin to speed up until she was nearly panting. The harsh sound filled her ears, and when Orinna asked her if she was all right, Liaran did not hear. She had ceased to be aware of anything outside of her memories and the fear they still brought her.

Bella
Female Channeller Representative
PC: Miahala Darrow Sedai
SC: Lysira Viathene Gaidin
TC: Gareth Tomosan Asha'man
QC: Natlya Cade Gaidin
QC: Andraste Alhandra Sedai

Post by Bella » April 30th, 2018, 11:40 pm

Haeden had been about to help clean the fallen fruit and ask what had happened, when he saw the answer to the question he had yet to ask.

His pale brows immediately knit in concern as he moved closer to her. Orinna was asking if the Blue was alright, speaking with concern that did sound genuine, but he knew in an instant that she wouldn't be able to help. "Thank you, Aes Sedai," he said, his voice feeling tight as he fought to be respectful. "She will be alright. I will aid her."

"Are you her warder?" the Aes Sedai formerly of the White Tower asked, although he detected no derision in her voice, just curiosity.

That twisting feeling returned, but he ignored it and forced a polite smile. "No," he said, "but I am a friend and we know one another well."

Well enough, at least.

Orinna looked uncertainly between them for a moment, perhaps resisting working off the word of "just" a Gaidin, as could often be the way with those from Tar Valon, but she seemed to accept it after a moment and moved back about her business. He let out a breath he hadn't known he'd been holding.

"Liaran," he said quietly, reaching out to gently touch her elbow. He wanted to get her away from where people would see her and ask questions she wouldn't want to answer, but he didn't want to push her and make it worse. "Liaran..." he repeated. "It's Haeden. I'm here with you this time." This time. "It's okay now. I'm here."

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » May 2nd, 2018, 12:20 am

Liaran Sedai
In the dark, alone, shielded, not knowing what they would do to her...

Someone was talking to her, and Liaran blinked in surprise. She could barely hear the words, nor could she understand them, but she identified the speaker almost immediately. A man's voice....Haeden's voice. It confused her, and Liaran blinked again as her memories began to fade. She slowly returned to reality, looking ahead of her at what remained of the White Tower. She turned her head away from it to see Haeden standing beside her, still speaking to her.

"It's okay now. I'm here."

Liaran's feet shifted, moving as close to Haeden as she dared to get. She needed the support he offered, and she wasn't sure how she felt about that. Mostly, she just felt guilty, and terribly embarrassed. How many people saw that? She'd thought she was doing better, had hoped she could handle being here, but she'd been wrong. She still shook slightly, but her breathing was slowing down, and Liaran made herself take deep breaths. She couldn't speak yet, and she needed to apologize to Haeden. She'd never wanted him to learn that she was still struggling, when she should have been over it by now.

When she thought she could form words, Liaran looked up at Haeden. He seemed to be worried about her, which only made her feel more guilty for allowing herself to do this, for letting him see it. Her head dropped before she spoke. "Haeden, I'm sorry. I thought I could get through a day here without....thinking about it, and I guess I was wrong." Liaran looked back at Haeden, her next words ones she would not have said in front of anyone else. "I'm so embarrassed," she whispered.

The Aes Sedai felt more of that emotion than any other, enough so that she didn't think she was quite ready to return to work. She looked around the field, searching for somewhere she could go to get away while she continued to calm down. She would go back, was determined not to let her fear stop her from doing the work she'd been enjoying, but it wasn't something Liaran could face right now.

Bella

Post by Bella » May 4th, 2018, 1:07 am

He saw her looking around and he did as well, his height giving an extra advantage. There weren't many people around in some areas, and so he gestured toward one. "Let's take a walk," he suggested gently. "We won't be long, but get a little quiet for a few moments."

Haeden subtly led the way and once they were a little further from earshot of anyone else, he said, "I wish you wouldn't feel the need to apologize to me, Liaran. While I understand feeling embarrassed, there is nothing to be either embarrassed or sorry for. Aes Sedai are, and must be, many things. But that includes that you're still people. With thoughts and feelings, neither of which are easily controlled.

"I've seen Gaidin, fully raised and battle-hardened warriors, who sometimes have experienced things that shake their cores. It takes them a while to work past it all. Coming here to do this was a big step on that path, and you've done it. It's...understandable for there to be a moment as this. But working past it continues you on the path of recovery."

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » May 4th, 2018, 10:28 pm

Liaran Sedai
"I've been working hard on getting over what happened," Liaran told Haeden. "It's why I made myself come here." The Aes Sedai sighed, feeling her embarrassment begin to fade now that she wasn't near anyone but Haeden. "Everything was fine earlier this morning. I was even enjoying myself for a while.....and then I heard a wagon on the street and remembered being brought here in one. It seems like such a small thing to react to like I did." She looked up at Haeden while she spoke, wondering how he could be so patient with her. "I feel like I should have been able to stop myself from behaving that way, and it's so frustrating that I can't." I just want to get past this already.

She looked around for a minute before returning her gaze to Haeden. Embarrassment had fled now, but it had been replaced by the familiar nervousness, which was not much better. "I apologized to you because I thought, and still think, you deserved it. It isn't....fair to you to have to leave what you were doing just to help me." Liaran paused and took a deep breath, forcing herself to keep talking to Haeden instead of looking away as part of her wanted to do. "You've...done so much for me, and it's hard for me to accept that."

Bella

Post by Bella » May 6th, 2018, 12:32 am

He met her gaze, and his light brows drew down slightly as he did. "Why must we keep count?" he said idly. "I consider you a friend, and friends help each other, do they not? It's not a matter of balancing a scale. It's not I do something for you and you do something for me. It is simply things done and by the end, it will all be reconciled.

"As I've already mentioned, I don't have many friends. Just fellows in the Yards. And my family. Both of which are different. So I'm more appreciative of the friends that I do have, and I am happy to help them. If I did any of that only in expectation of you doing something you see as equal to that, it's not much of a friendship."

You sound like an idiot, that little voice inside railed. Since when did you become a White?

Sighing inwardly, he told that voice to shut up so he could focus. "I just...wish I could convince you to not worry about that. Or to look at it that way."

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » May 6th, 2018, 8:06 pm

Liaran Sedai
Liaran barely resisted her desire to apologize to Haeden again, one she had even though he'd just told her he wished she did not. She blinked, never having quite realized that she was comparing what little she'd done for him against everything he'd done for her. She hadn't meant to do that, but she'd known since they'd returned from this place for the first time that she owed Haeden a debt she could not repay. She looked away for a moment, thinking to herself, He doesn't understand. Doesn't he know that I wouldn't be alive now if he hadn't come after me? Liaran didn't think he did.

She stepped closer, looking into his eyes. "You don't understand," she told him. Her voice was barely a whisper, and Liaran wasn't entirely sure Haeden would even be able to hear her. "I....wanted to die, after......what they did to me. If you hadn't found me, I know I would have acted on that. There is nothing I can do to repay you for....for saving my life." She stopped then, remembering what Haeden had just said to her. "Maybe you never expected that, I don't know." Her voice shook slightly with the emotion she felt, but Liaran did not allow herself to look away.

Bella

Post by Bella » May 7th, 2018, 11:30 pm

What she told him didn't surprise him, not really. He recalled what she had been like when he'd found her, and all the way back to the Tower, and at her trial... All of that seemed to add up to that feeling. And yet while there wasn't surprise, her admission pained him in some way that he couldn't fully understand.

"Liaran..." he said softly, holding her gaze for a moment before glancing down at his own hands. "There is no debt. I was your Gaidin on that trip, and meant to protect you. And I didn't. You would not have been in that position at all if I had done better at my task," he said, "and so you do not owe me anything for what I did after. For finding you."

He forced his head up. To meet her eyes again. "And I would do it again." Not that he was sure why he added that, but the words were said, so he couldn't take them back.

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » May 8th, 2018, 10:08 pm

Liaran Sedai
"You did everything you could," Liaran insisted, though she knew Haeden probably would not believe her. That bothered her, and she hoped that with time he would realize that it was true. "I just wish that I'd been able to handle it alone. If I'd been stronger, or braver, or...something, if I hadn't needed you, you wouldn't have been...hurt by what happened." Her words weren't quite the ones Liaran wanted, but they were as close as she could get to explaining how she felt.

A stray thought crossed Liaran's mind that someone would be very fortunate to have a Warder with Haeden's loyalty, should the Gaidin ever make that choice. Feeling suddenly shy, Liaran looked away from him and back towards the field. It didn't appear that their short absence had caused any problems, but the Aes Sedai still thought it was probably near time for both of them to get back to work.

Bella

Post by Bella » May 9th, 2018, 11:37 pm

Haeden swallowed back a sigh as he shook his head slightly, green eyes glancing away for a moment. "Liaran..." he began, then hesitated as he scrambled to find his own words. Not that he was lacking in them, but the right ones. He took a deep breath. "Aes Sedai have grave responsibilities in the world. They must be so much that they cannot be everything.

"Aes Sedai and Asha'man have warders, have men and women like me, so that they don't have to be everything. It's no shame to need someone sometimes..." If earnestness could have been a tangible thing, one might have been able to shave it off his skin in that moment as he returned to her gaze.

"I exist to be that someone. I was born of it to be it. So please do not worry about such effect on me. It was what I was there for, and even if I failed at the start, I am glad I could be there before it...went too far." Small words compared to large concepts, but he was hardly a wordsmith. "I--"

The words he almost said occurred to him and he stopped himself, shaking his head a little.

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik