There There (Attn: Bella)

The World outside the Grey Tower is a vast place.
Craig
Librarian
PC: Ravak t'Sha'hal Darrow
SC: Elia Darrow
TC: Zarayne
QC: Farah Kattan

There There (Attn: Bella)

Post by Craig » December 4th, 2017, 3:41 pm

Zarayne Sedai
After scrubbing at her face with a wet cloth, Zarayne stopped to examine her face in the small oval mirror above her washbowl. She wasn't looking for dirt, but inspecting the subtle changes that were morphing her appearance. There were months or years to go before she would be instantly recognisable as an Oathsworn Aes Sedai, but work had already begun in that direction. She was fascinated by it in all but one regard; her eyes seemed different. The Yellow couldn't think of any words to put to it, but the effects of the Three Oaths seemed amplified when peering into the blackness of her pupils.

A knock at her door pulled her away from literal self-reflection. Dabbing at her face with a dry towel, Zarayne hot-footed it from her washroom into her sitting room. Bare feet flashed briefly from beneath her long skirts.

On the opposite side of her door was an unfamiliar novice. That was not too surprising, saying her teaching was currently limited to some of the younger Accepted. The woman had a letter for her, from the First Weaver no less. Zarayne thanked the novice, and started to break open the wax seal before her door was closed again. The letter was descriptive and full of Maever Asha'man's normal verbosity. A fire had ravaged the town of Ely in neighbouring Ghealdan, and a small group was being sent from the Tower to aid them in whatever way they could. And I'm being sent as one of the sisters. There was more to the letter, but those were the key points. She read it over twice, just to make sure she caught all of the details, and that she understood how long the trip would be.

She hadn't been any further that Hama Valon since travelling with Lysira Gaidin and Tia Sedai into the Blight. That was a completely different set of circumstances, and she'd been an Accepted then. This time she would need to prepare her own supplies, ensuring she brought enough clothing and equipment for the journey. She also had to arrange cover for her teaching and for her patients. This simple trip demanded a lot more out of her than it would seem on the surface.

Zarayne moved back to peer into her mirror. This time she was sizing herself up, wondering whether she was ready for this. She had been chosen for this assignment, but was that due to her skills or because of her inexperience? It didn't matter either way because she wasn't about to question her first mission as an Aes Sedai. Still, Zarayne thought as she looked into unfamiliar eyes, it doesn't mean I need to go alone.
- - - It didn't take Zarayne long to reach the Warders' Yards. Although she endured the humility of wearing wetlander dresses, she didn't cow to the notion of needing to walk everywhere with the grace of a wetlander princess. Her long legs carried her quickly to the fences where novices and soldiers like to gaggle, dreaming about the day they might have a Warder. Today was that day for Zarayne. She ignored the men and all of the tall women. The Yellow wasn't pursuing the talent on offer, but rather looking for one person in particular.
Image Image Image Image
Craig's Tracker ❖ Librarian
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Bella
Female Channeller Representative
PC: Miahala Darrow Sedai
SC: Lysira Viathene Gaidin
TC: Gareth Tomosan Asha'man
QC: Natlya Cade Gaidin
QC: Andraste Alhandra Sedai

Re: There There (Attn: Bella)

Post by Bella » December 5th, 2017, 12:45 am

[subtitle]Natlya Cade Gaidin[/subtitle]
Natlya had been spending a lot of time in the Yards lately, working off many emotions. She was still no closer to understanding the note that had been left for her in the quarters she shared with Terric and Dog Gaidin. It had been simple, but she recognized his handwriting. She knew that Terric had written it.

But why would he leave without me? The question was just as large in her heart as the "where did he go," but it was the one that hurt the most. That was for sure. It ended with the request that she take care of Dog Gaidin, which of course she would...

...but why was she left behind to do so in the first place? Others could have done that.

Since she had no answers, despite how often she looked, all she could fall back on was what she always fell back on: she went to the Yards and worked herself into the ground. She worked with the sword alone. She sparred against other Gaidin. She trained with Drin and Ji'val. She beat poor, defenseless training dummies until they cried out for mercy without voices.

As she was walking out of the sparring ring after a short session, she saw a tall, vaguely familiar Aes Sedai. The woman seemed to be looking for something, or someone, that she wasn't finding. On a whim, Natlya approached her and bowed slightly. "May I help you with something, Aes Sedai?"

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » December 12th, 2017, 9:45 am

Zarayne
It would have been unfair to accuse the Gaidin of sneaking up on her but that's how it felt to Zarayne. One moment she was alone and the next moment she was being bowed to. Zarayne turned a touch too quickly in surprise, and scarlet started to burn her cheeks. "I..." The reason for her being here vanished into the recesses of her mind. Being snuck up upon and feeling embarrassment were both shameful. The singular thought of toh crossed through her mind, bringing with it an internal sigh.

Recollecting her wits, Zarayne returned the bow. "I was looking for Lysira Gaidin, but I can't see her." She turned to look again over the training yards. The Cairhienin had a diminutive stature, but Zarayne had the benefit of a high vantage point. It seemed unlikely that Lysira was in the Yards at the moment.

Facing her ambusher, Zarayne gave a pained smile. "I'm departing for Ghealdan shortly and I was hoping she could accompany me as I don't have a Warder." The question now was should she try to seek Lysira out, or would a trip to the Gaidin Captain be needed? With all that had happened recently, travelling to Ghealdan without protection seemed reckless and foolhardy.

So she had one pressing issue and one lingering issue: finding a Gaidin and her toh to this woman. "I am Zarayne Sedai. What is your name?" At least then she could seek out the Gaidin when she returned.
Image Image Image Image
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Bella

Post by Bella » December 15th, 2017, 11:28 pm

Natlya listened politely. The image of the very small Lysira Gaidin alongside this very tall Aes Sedai sent a very broad bolt of amusement through her mind, but she kept it all firmly behind her schooled expression. She knew the older Gaidin to be imminently capable, so the size was not a problem... It was just funny.

Although, Natlya was not that much taller than the other Gaidin and so was still markedly shorter than the woman before her.

"It is an honor to meet you, Zarayne Sedai," Nat said politely. "I am afraid that Lysira Gaidin is not presently in the Tower. She had a matter to attend to in Cairhien. My name is Natlya Gaidin." An idea poked her brain, and she decided to seize upon it. She needed a change of scenery... "I would be available to accompany you, if you wish. I am no Lysira Gaidin, but I get the job done."

She offered a small, crooked smile that seemed to be at war with her face to become a smirk.

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » January 6th, 2018, 1:10 am

Zarayne
Zarayne returned the smile simply because it would have been rude not to. She wasn't going to be an ashen-faced Aes Sedai like many were. Yet she didn't feel much elation. Cornered by an offer and toh, the young Yellow didn't see more than one path out. "Thank you, yes." No more words were needed, and she really didn't have any. If not for the fact they were standing in the Warder Yards, Zarayne would have called this entire scenario an ambush. From start to finish (the last thirty seconds), her options had been limited to one.

She put on her best war face, which was to seem pleased in spite of everything going awry.

OOC: Short and sweet. Like Lysira?
Image Image Image Image

Bella

Post by Bella » January 10th, 2018, 11:50 pm

Natlya let her hazel eyes roam for a few moments over the Aes Sedai's expression, trying to read it more in depth. It was a skill that she had honed and had served her well during her time as a thief, and now again as a Gaidin, so it was one that she never wanted to let get out of practice. And if she was to travel anywhere with this woman, it would help to have a head start.

"An honor to serve, Aes Sedai," Nat said with a bit of formality. "Where in Ghealdan do we need to travel, and when do we need to depart?"

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » January 18th, 2018, 12:26 am

Zarayne
Aes Sedai. She didn't like the formality, but then, she had introduced herself as Zarayne Sedai. It was her own fault. She had to rectify the need for honorifics... just not in this moment. She'd borne enough embarrassment for this morning.

"In a few hours; mid-afternoon," she said in response to Natlya's question. "There's a group of us departing for Ely. A fire destroyed a sixth of the town, so we still help them in whatever way we can." It was a mite troublesome that her desire to help had come by way of a instruction, rather than something she discovered by herself. She would have gone to their aid in either circumstance, but this muddied the waters.

The Yellow gave a genuine smile, although her tone quickly became solemn. "I hope we can save lives before they are destroyed. The fear of having to start from nothing, it is a powerful emotion. They need to be reminded of their own value, and how the holdings they have lost can be reacquired."
Image Image Image Image

Bella

Post by Bella » January 20th, 2018, 4:27 am

In this last thing said, Natlya felt the sort of strange tension there'd been dissipate a little. She wasn't entirely sure of the source of the odd feeling, but imagined it was because this young Aes Sedai had come looking for Lysira and ended up with Natlya instead. But she could not help but feel some relief to escape the Tower for a bit. To be able to not think of the mystery here for her.

"I have no doubt we will do all that we can," Natlya said. "I know a little something of building a life from nothing. And the need to understand the value of a person, rather than a possession. I will be glad to assist in every way that I am able." * * * They had departed from the yards then so they could each prepare. Of course, this part of things did not distract her as she hoped the trip would, since it meant going back to the quarters she shared--had shared?--with Terric, and seeing the evidence of his absence. She moved as quickly as she could to pack her things.

She was austere in her choices, but thorough and practical. Once that was done, she arranged a "dog sitter" for Dog Gaidin, and then was off to meet Zarayne Sedai and the rest of the group heading to Ely.

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » January 27th, 2018, 12:07 am

Zarayne
After her encounter with Natlya, Zarayne returned to the halls of the Yellow Ajah via the stables. She didn't have a horse, but one would be loaned to her for the trip. She requested that the saddlebags were sent to her quarters so she could pack for the journey.

Back in her room, the Aielwoman wasn't sure how much she needed to take. Three dresses were neatly folded up and placed in one large pouch alongside an equal amount of shifts, and she changed into a fourth with a dress cut for riding. Into a smaller pouch went soap, oils, vinegar, and clothes. That left the saddlebags less than half-full, but she struggled to think of what else to take. She didn't have any jewellery to package away aside from the Great Serpent ring already on her finger. She did place a small notebook, quill, and inkwell in a leather pocket specifically designed for such things, then secured it around her waist with a thin, golden belt. She added a small coin purse to the belt, and then that was her fully prepared. If Ely didn't have food or lodgings available, the Tower was a mere Gateway away. Anything else she could survive without for a few days, if it would even be that long.

The young Yellow arrived in the Travelling Yards on foot, only the second to arrive, after leaving instructions for her horse and saddlebags to be brought to the Yards. The only other person in attendance when Zarayne arrived was a fellow Yellow; a Cairhienin who's name eluded her. Zarayne nodded deferentially to the other Aes Sedai, but stopped a distance apart from the woman; the animosity between Cairhien and the Aiel was an open wound for that one.

Zarayne stepped out of her slippers whilst she waited on her horse. She felt a reminscence for her childhood, when she watched her mother tend to the needs of the community as its Wise One. She was grateful that her first trip outside Hama Valon wasn't going to involve cosying up to wetlander nobles. It was an opportunity to connect with the world outside the Grey Tower.
Image Image Image Image

Bella

Post by Bella » January 28th, 2018, 7:13 pm

Natlya's first stop was the stables, where she found her horse. Instead of borrowing whatever horse they had to loan, she had saved her Gaidin's stipend and bought a steed--at a discount--from the farm outside of town that was affiliated with the Sha'hal clan. She had one of the stablehands bring the little mare out, and Nat took care of the tacking up.

"Are you going to Ely?" one of the hands asked.

"Yes," Nat said curiously.

"Other horses have been ordered for that trip," the hand explained sheepishly. "Zarayne Sedai has requested that her horse be brought to the traveling yards. Three of the hands are out sick and we're running slow. Would you take her horse to the yards, Gaidin?"

The request came as a surprise, but it was simple enough. "I can do that," she said with a nod.

Turning back to her own horse, she finished tying on her saddlebags and then took the horse that the stablehand brought to her. With the two of them, she headed out to the yards and found Zarayne Sedai standing with another Aes Sedai, presumably a Yellow. Nat walked up and then bowed her head to each with a respectful, "Aes Sedai."

She then looked to Zarayne. "The stables asked me to bring this one along with me for you."

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik