Once You Go Black...

The World outside the Grey Tower is a vast place.
Matty
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Murdock Mather, Keeper of the Archives
SC: Nathaniel Carridus, Asha'man (Blue)
TC: Maever Donovan, Asha'man (Yellow)

Once You Go Black...

Post by Matty » September 20th, 2017, 8:23 pm

Asha'man Nate Nate was a very puzzled man.

He hadn't really thought about why he was confused, when he went through the various tests thrown his way. Could he channel to the standards of the Black Tower? Did he possess the talent and skill needed to be called an Asha'man? Was he really that obsessed with the colour blue that he had to pretend to be an Aes Sedai and have an Ajah? That wasn't how the Black Tower worked. Nate wove his weaves, he tied off flow upon flow, and he tore up the earth as he was instructed. Three men ordered, and a fair number watched as well. It was hard to gauge their response, but the Mayener assumed it was neutral at best, hostile at worst.

At least, until he made an off-handed comment about the weather making his nose itch.

"What do you mean?" one of the men asked.

"When it's going to rain, I can feel it," Nate had explained. That had led them to a discussion about listening to the wind, and his abilities with Cloud Dancing - something not often seen at the Black Tower it would seem. Well! Now he was their latest addition, so they could learn what he knew, and he was happy to do it. Happy to be there. Why wouldn't he be?

But he was still confused overall and he didn't like it.

He sat on the bed in a room allocated to him, with assurances that in time when he had proved his worth he would be given somewhere a little roomier. In the meantime this would have to do. People looked at him a little oddly, though he had no idea what it was about him apart from his Grey Tower upbringing that might have them eyeing him and his brother oddly. Reuben stuck close by at all times and just told him to not worry about it, so he tried not to. Easier said than done.

Why am I here? he asked himself. I'm happy here so far, I can feel it exploding in my chest. But I was in Mayene with my family, and Bells. I left Bells alone in Mayene. Why would I do that? Besides, Rueben and I were fighting before I came here. But then it didn't seem to matter any more... The man scratched his head, frowning at the far wall. I'm not stupid. Reuben's messing with my head. He stood up and scowled some more at the wall as it all seemed to make sense. But he wasn't going to contact anyone at the Grey Tower, he'd been told not to and he did whatever Reuben wanted. You never listened to Reuben as a kid. Why now? He's messed with your head!

Agitated, Nate grabbed his hammer from where he'd set it against the wall and took a deep breath. It was late. He could make his way out under cover of darkness, get to their Travelling Grounds and go back to Mayene, maybe get in touch with the adviser of the First. He didn't think they were a Grey Tower Aes Sedai, so that ought to work. Someone could check his head out and make him not want to do anything Reuben said, that ought to work. Satisfied with his plan of action, Nate opened the door of his room and made his way out, walking with a strong stride and a confident step.

He made it as far as the doors outside when he was suddenly flipped upside down, his hammer falling from his grasp as he was hoisted up in the air by one leg. Nate yelped and wriggled, finding himself facing three Asha'man that had witnessed his tests.

"Well well well, if it isn't the Grey Tower castoff," one of them said. "looks a lot like Reuben, no?"

"Wonder if he's as much of an ass?" another mused, folding his thin arms.

"Doesn't matter really. Grey Tower Asha'man ain't welcome here." The first man crouched down to eye level with Nate, who was still hanging there.

"I'm happy at the Black Tower," Nate said automatically, not sure why it came out of his mouth but cursing himself for it. It didn't sound like him any more.

"It's alright, we can put a stop to that."

-

So that was how Nate found himself hanging upside down tied to a pole with weaves of Air, clad in nothing but the skin he was born in. He was there for longer than he could say, watching people pass him by, looking him up and down with amusement or sometimes approval. Nobody came to untie him, nobody thought to get him down. He was losing his vision when Reuben came to stand in front of him, putting a hand to his head. He looked bemused, more than anything.

"I think I need to make my instructions more explicit," he said, and he began to weave.
------ Murdock -------------- Nathaniel --------------- Maever -------

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik