No Guts, No Glory, No Legend, No Story

The World outside the Grey Tower is a vast place.
Matty
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Murdock Mather, Keeper of the Archives
SC: Nathaniel Carridus, Asha'man (Blue)
TC: Maever Donovan, Asha'man (Yellow)

No Guts, No Glory, No Legend, No Story

Post by Matty » September 13th, 2017, 6:43 pm

Maever Donovan "Good morning everyone!" Maever chirped as he entered the Infirmary, carrying a plate of biscuits. "I do be ever so sorry for being late, I did get held up by a lovely Novice looking for the kitchens. It do be her first day, how exciting..." the truth of it was that Maever was hardly late at all, but he apologised anyway and he meant it. That morning there were 7 Yellows he was meeting up with, just to touch base and make sure they were okay. He did this fairly regularly with all the Yellows, and to make up for the inconvenience he always made sure to bring some treats. The Illianer popped them on the table nearby and took a seat by an empty bed. The place was quiet at this time of the day, and there was nothing he had to say that couldn't be mentioned in the Infirmary. If there was, then he would have taken them all to one of the meeting rooms elsewhere.

"Thank you so much for being here," the happy Yellow continued. "Everyone do be working so so hard and I do be ever so grateful! Now, ummm, who do we be having here. Hullo Tianna, Carolynn, Jaren..." he did so love to see his Yellows together. "Okay. So there do be a couple of things I do be wanting to address before we do talk about how things do be going with ourselves! Ummm, first of all, the office by the quarantined rooms do be free for use again; we did managed to clean up the blood and sterilise the room. Secondly, we do be trying out a new way of fluffing the pillows... there do be a practical demonstration later. Oh, do help yourselves to biscuits! And thirdly, I do be having my list from the Blue Ajah of current events and where they do be thinking that they might be needing Yellows to assist! Now, of course, I could no possibly force anyone to go somewhere they do no be comfortable with, but I would be ever so grateful if those of you who do be happy to leave the Grey Tower would consider assisting our Blue Brothers and Sisters with their noble causes! So the start of the list-"

The doors to the Infirmary slammed open and in marched Asha'man Brawn himself. His long hair was a mess, the huge hammer strapped to his back was filthy with dried blood, and he brought with him the stench of long nights on the front line and plenty of fighting. His Asha'man uniform was torn in places and he looked like he'd not slept properly for some time, but the Blue looked quite ready for action at the same time. He wasn't often seen at the Tower and when he was, it was for training in the yards.

Before anyone in the Infirmary could comment upon the man's sudden appearance, Nate spoke up. "There's a village in the north of Saldaea that's being hounded by trollocs. Local resources are scarce. There's stables chock-full of injured soldiers, women and children!" The Mayener's voice was loud, and he addressed the room at large. "I need Healers, and I need them now."

"Oh my!" Maever exclaimed, hopping to his feet. Not sure what else he could do, the Illianer took the plate of biscuits and held it up for the mountainous Asha'man. Nate looked down at them and helped himself to two, stuffing them in his mouth and then grabbing a handful to shove into a pocket for later.
------ Murdock -------------- Nathaniel --------------- Maever -------

Elan
"Lord of Chaos"
PC: Jaren Marle, Asha'man
SC: Mael Akashi, Asha'man
TC: Delaine Taborwin, Novice
QC: Valentin Akashi, Soldier

Re: No Guts, No Glory, No Legend, No Story

Post by Elan » September 14th, 2017, 2:46 pm

Jaren
The appearance of Nate Carridus caused quite the stir, not least of which consisted of the two Accepted and one Dedicated hovering nearby, having paused in their duties to make star-struck faces at the admittedly rather handsome Blue. Ignoring them for the moment, Jaren stood to face Nate. “I’ll come with you.” It made sense; he might not be among the oldest or most experienced Yellows present, but he’d worked with Nate before — in a manner of speaking — and could adapt and follow the Blue’s lead as well as hold his own in combat if it came to that. Plus, unlike most of the Yellows present, he had a Warder. He was, objectively speaking, a good choice for this.

He turned to one of the Accepted. “I need you to go find Johan Gaidin and tell him to meet me in the Travelling grounds, tell him to prepare for the Borderlands… no, wait a second.” Even as he spoke, he walked to the nearest desk where he could find writing implements. Quickly, he penned down a note for Jaryd, explaining the situation. Folding the note carefully, he handed it to the Accepted. “Now go find Johan Gaidin, and then take this note to Asha’man Jaryd. Thank you.”

He instructed the remaining Accepted to help him gather supplies — bandages, herbal salves and poultices, the sort of thing, in case the number of people in need of Healing was so great that he’d have to conserve his strength and prioritise. While the Accepted went about the task, Jaren turned to Nate again.

“What about you?” he asked, looking up at the towering Asha’man. “Do you require Healing?” The Blue looked like he’d been wading waist-deep in Trolloc carcasses, most of which had probably met their sorry end against his warhammer. Few people could do that without receiving a collection of cuts and bruises in return, at the very least. “And before you think of declining,” he went on with a dazzling smile, “know that I will notice eventually if you’re trying to just tough it out. And I won’t be impressed.”

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Matty » September 14th, 2017, 3:15 pm

Nate looked down at Jaren with a big smile. "Good to have ya on board!" he told the man approvingly, and it was. Jaren was a good sort, and it made sense for him to become a Yellow. The Blue observed as the other Yellows went about their usual business, though a couple of them did linger. One of them was Maever, who simply watched with wide blue eyes, and the other was an Aes Sedai called... Nate didn't know her name. But she stuck around as well. Amidst the flurry, she leaned in closer.

"I would come with you as well," she said. "It sounds like there will be a lot of people to Heal." She was pretty enough, Nate supposed, with dark skin and short, neat black hair. She also seemed to be quite practically dressed already compared to the other Aes Sedai around.

"That would be great," Nate said gratefully. "The name's Nate."

"A pleasure. Amathie."

Soon Jaren had sent his messages off to various people, and of course he asked whether or not Nate required Healing as well. The man chuckled and lowered his head, "I'm not too proud to refuse Healing," he said. "I've been running on adrenaline, I can't feel a thing. I'll tough it out when I need to but if I don't have to, then there's no point in making life harder for myself." Stooping down far enough that the Yellow didn't have to climb up him to grab his head - why was everyone so short? - the Blue was soon Healed, and he felt much better for it. There were no major cuts or bruises really, but there were a fair number of them and he'd just gotten used to ignoring them. Now he was raring to go, though still looking rather rough. "Thanks Jaren," he said. "Let's head to the Travelling Grounds and wait for Johan there."

The Accepted returned with all the Healery-crap items the Yellows required, and she handed them over with a curtsy. Nate didn't carry them, he wasn't a Healer and he needed both hands for his channelling and his hammer.

"Have a good time!" Maever chirped as Nate, Jaren and Amathie headed on out to the Travelling Grounds.

"A good time?" Nate repeated as they stomped towards their destination. "Burn me, a good time... honestly... people need to get out the Tower more." Nate smacked Jaren on the back, "like you! I'm dead grateful and I know the Blue Ajah will be too. This is important to me personally."

The message must have reached Johan Gaidin quite quickly, as they weren't waiting long for the man to appear. He must have been waiting for something like this. "Johan, welcome!" he said jovially. "Right. We don't need horses as we aren't going far out from the village, if at all. If we do need them we can come back but for now, we're taking this on foot." Nate looked at the three others, "the village of Keranna is probably going to fall at the end of this. Trollocs broke through the defences before the Grey Tower could lend support, and we've managed to push them back. But there's a lot of damage inside the village. The defences are holding for now but our main priority is Healing those who need it, and preparing the villagers for an evacuation. I won't be doing any fighting unless the walls fall again. Does this all make sense? Good." Nate exhaled, agitated. "It ain't pretty, so be ready."

"Oh yeah," Nate added as he seized Saidin, "I've made it into a thunderstorm to keep the trollocs nice and scared about being struck down at any time." He weaved the weaves for a Gateway, a large opening forming in the air leading to a rainy, stormy village that looked dark, dismay and decaying. It was a far cry from the relatively sunny and happy Grey Tower.

Elan
"Lord of Chaos"

Post by Elan » September 15th, 2017, 8:56 pm

Jaren
Jaren simply smiled up at Nate as the Blue expressed his thanks; he was happy to help, especially as he could see this was important to Nate. Not just the way saving lives should be important to any decent human being, either; Nate truly cared, he was genuine in his efforts, and that especially made Jaren want to help him.

Johan joined them soon in the Travelling grounds. Jaren could feel the Gaidin’s eagerness for adventure; Johan assured him he had no regrets about bonding a Yellow who didn’t lead a particularly eventful life, and he wasn’t lying about that, but Jaren could tell he got bored sometimes.

Johan took one look at Nate, and the bond carried over a distinct thread of amusement. “You don’t leave the Tower often,” he said half under his breath, “but you sure choose your company when you do. If this get as interesting as the last time…”

Jaren grinned at the Gaidin. “Hopefully not quite.” The mad dash back to the Citadel, with legions of Shadowspawn snapping at their heels was not something he’d care to repeat, even with Nate cracking terrible puns to lighten things up. That had been perhaps one of the most surreal things he’d ever experienced, topped only by a certain incident with a chandelier and Tristram confessing to sleeping with the former M’Hael.

From Nate’s briefing, this particular mission mission sounded fairly straight-forward; get in there, get the villagers out alive. That should be doable. Though…

“A thunderstorm,” Jaren repeated, recalling the first time he’d met Nate, what seemed like a lifetime ago. Despite the gravity of the situation — and the fact that the memory was not actually that amusing — his lips twitched up slightly in a wry smile. “Why does that remind me of something…” Well, Nate would have learnt a great deal of control since then and hopefully wouldn’t nearly fry himself to a crisp again.

They followed Nate to the unfortunate village, where the signs of death and destruction could be seen everywhere; Jaren couldn’t see many houses untouched by the fighting. Some of the uninjured villagers were milling about, looking lost, as though undecided whether to try and salvage things from their destroyed homes. Perhaps a score of bodies were laid in a neat row and covered with cloaks or blankets, sodden from the rain. Jaren glanced at Amathie, noticing the other Yellow’s expression as she took in the sight. Nobody would want to leave their dead loved ones behind, especially when the attackers were Trollocs… but how much time would there be to spare for transferring the bodies? The living would have to take precedence.

And speaking of the living… “Let’s see the wounded, then,” Jaren muttered. As he followed Nate, he asked, “How much time do you think we’ll have? I assume we’re to just get people on their feet, Heal those too badly wounded to evacuate, and tend to the rest once we’re somewhere that’s not about to be run over?”

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Matty » September 16th, 2017, 7:45 am

"No need to worry about any storm," Nate said with a chuckle, seeing Jaren and Johan's expressions. He ushered them through the Gateway, the familiar stench of death and wrongness taking over once more. The Grey Tower was so idyllic and serene compared, but this was something Nate was starting to get quite used to. He wasn't pampered or sedate, he was a man of action and this was where the action happened to be.

The question of how much time they had was met with a roll of his broad shoulders. "At this point it's hard to say. A few hours, maybe? If I make more Gateways to get people out, less. If I go to the walls and keep them defended, then longer."

"I am a dab hand with Gateways," Amathie volunteered. "Not a Talent by any stretch, but more deft than most."

"That could be useful," Nate allowed. "Jaren, Amathie, sounds like we have a plan. You both Heal the worst, and start getting people out. Living take priority. Amathie, I'll tie a Gateway off over here but it won't be huge, and I don't know how long it'll hold for." Not to mention, sharp Gateways around the general public were generally ill advised... "then you can see where people are being taken to. The mayor's on the other side ready."

"If I Heal first, then I will get an idea of the area quicker," Amathie said. She looked at Jaren with a smile, "let's go shall we?"

Near the barn, Nate made a Gateway to a village further to the south and tied it off. It didn't take long for a lad to poke his head through. "Asha'man!"

"We'll be sending more folk through shortly," Nate informed the boy, "so be prepared. Living first, then the dead if we can spare the resources, Light bloody send it. This Gateway won't be here for too long but Amathie Sedai will take over. Any questions, Asha'man Jaren and Amathie Sedai are here Healing. Alright?" Nate looked at the barn with a shake of his head, hating to see so many people injured and in pain. But he couldn't Heal them, not in the way that the Yellows could. No, he could only support with his fists. "I'm gonna go to the wall, beat back some trollocs," Nate told the Yellows. "Johan?"

The Warder and Jaren shared some silent communication of sorts (or maybe they just looked at each other, Nate was no expert on how the bond worked) before nodding and saying "lead the way Nate."

The wall was in a bad shape, and it made Nate's stomach twist and churn to see how a once modest and friendly village was now in a such a state of decay and disrepair. Another stronghold fallen to the shadow... it made him sick. The village was built with defense in mind of course, this was the north of Saldaea, but the main gate was barely holding against the trollocs pushing against it. There seemed to be a real lull in the effort though, as if the trollocs were taking a break. Or finding reinforcements.

"Asha'man!" one of the soldiers said, marching over with a sharp salute. He removed his helmet to speak, "since your absence the trollocs fell back. Our scouts have found that they are recuperating at their nearest camp. We have a bit of a breather but we suspect they'll be back with reinforcements. Those guys," he gestured to the trollocs below, "seem to be a distraction. After you destroyed the battering ram they didn't bring any more. "

"We're performing a full evacuation. We have two Yellows Healing the sick, and Gateways to get them out. We hold for as long as we need to, alright?"

"Yes sir!"

"This is Johan," Nate clasped the man on the back, "He's a badass Warder and he'll be here to help as well. Our first port of call - if we can get rid of the trollocs down there, I can get in and put up some walls of Air and hopefully make the bastard gate last longer. I need to conserve my channelling strength for now so we're gonna need to get down there and do it the good old fashioned way." Nate unhooked his hammer and looked down at Johan with a grin, "ready to go smash some trollocs to tiny pieces? Because I know I am." Somehow despite the heavy rain and the thunder, Nate managed to look like he might actually enjoy this whole endeavour, mostly because that's exactly what the situation was. Killing the shadow was a tangible quantifier of his success, and although it wasn't the same as some of the more subtle (boring) political machinations he knew were somethings necessary, it still pleased him greatly. "Let's scare the shit out of 'em with some archers then sweep in and do the rest!"

Elan
"Lord of Chaos"

Post by Elan » September 17th, 2017, 3:49 pm

Johan
Asha’man Nate didn’t seem to have changed much since the last time Johan had worked with him. Johan followed him to the wall, where one of the defenders updated Nate on the situation. Nate’s plan was much like Nate himself — straight-forward and without unnecessary fancywork — and it was likely their best bet for now.

As a Gaidin, it was Johan’s job to keep channellers out of harm’s way. That had been effectively beaten into him over his time as a Drin and Ji’val; his dedication to the cause had been tested time and again before he’d been awarded the fancloak and the right to call himself a Gaidin of the Grey Tower. But he knew a lost cause when he saw one. He wasn’t going to be able to keep Nate safe no matter what he did; in some ways Nate was more like a fellow Gaidin than a ward to be protected. Maybe that was why he’d never bonded though he seemed to be spending most of his time in places where most channellers would prefer to have a Warder.

Well, Johan could work with that. He'd have Nate's back, and he could trust Nate to have his. He grinned back at the mountain of an Asha’man. “Let’s do this.”
Jaren
As Johan and Nate headed off to see to the defence of the village, Jaren and Amathie wasted no time getting started with their task.

The barn that sheltered the wounded — in a manner of speaking; it might have a roof and walls intact but it was drafty and damp, hardly a place for the weak and dying — was filled near to bursting. Its occupants mostly suffered in silence, there were no dramatic screams or wails except for the occasional cry of a child; the adults kept their voices down, parents trying to soothe their children in muted murmurs, here and there someone groaning quietly.

Jaren looked at Amathie, and she met his eyes in perfect understanding. “We need to get the children out of here,” she said, and Jaren nodded.

“We’ll prioritise the children and their parents,” he replied. Everybody here had lost enough already; the trauma of separating children from their families, even with the intention of reuniting them shortly, might outweigh the importance of evacuating the children first.

Amathie made her way to a family of three, a mother and two small children huddled together near the door, and Jaren felt the chill of saidar being embraced even as he approached an elderly woman cradling a toddler in her arms. He crouched down to their level, addressing the woman. “Hello,” he said softly, offering a reassuring smile as the woman looked back at him. “My name is Jaren, I’m a Healer. I’d take a look at the both of you, if that’s okay.”

Delving told him there was nothing wrong with the woman beyond old age and exhaustion, but the child was significantly worse off, with burns along his right side, and fairly severe head trauma. The family’s house had been one of the buildings the Trollocs had torched when they’d first broken through the defences; the father had managed to get the child out and gone back to help the mother but the house had collapsed, trapping them and leaving the child alone with his great-aunt. Jaren listened to the grandmother’s disjointed account of the events as he Healed the child, but there was not much more he could do for them; there were others in need of Healing, and as soon as he was done with the child he instructed the grandmother to go to the gateway Nate had left up. And then he moved on to the next patient. And the next.

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Matty » September 19th, 2017, 12:32 pm

Nate grinned at Johan. "Alright, let's get into position."

The archers moved into place, such as they were, and then Nate looked for the best place to get down and kick trolloc's asses. "Hrmm." After a moment of deliberation he said "let's go down our own way. Ready to go?" Nate was supposed to conserve his channelling but by the time they got a ladder sorted and made their way down, they would have the trollocs swarming them, archers or not. So Nate seized Saidin and tossed Johan over the wall with a weave of Air, though he did set him down carefully like a considerate channeller. Then Nate went to get the actual ladder and he clambered down as the archers fired away, and trollocs howled.

On the ground Nate gave Johan a nod and the two of them threw themselves in, followed soon after by a small contingency of soldiers presumably sent by their superiors, or maybe they were just inspired by the madmen going in first? Either way Nate threw himself in, hammer swinging as he approached his first trolloc. He went for the knees to get them down to his level, then gave them a blow to the head as a follow up. It worked rather well, all he had to do was make sure he blocked any incoming swipes with their various weapons. Hammers weren't fancy like swords, they didn't get pretentious names for their forms. You had techniques, yes, but that wasn't the same as the pomp and ceremony surrounding blademasters.

Thanks to the archers and their little group of people, the trollocs were taken out without too much fuss. When it was somewhat quieter Nate caught Johan's eye. "I'm gonna reinforce the gate, watch my back." He went to stand before it, putting out his hands and seizing Saidin. The Asha'man drew on as much of the Power as he could, which was more than average but nothing legendary, pulling at weaves of Air to create a thick barrier to reinforce the gate. Nate wasn't a dab hand at wards otherwise he would have put something up. As it was he put the barrier up and left it at that. It would have to do...

"Okay!" he announced as he turned around, "that should do it. Let's get back on the wall. We need to buy the village as much time as possible to clear out!" The group returned to the wall and from up there, Nate felt at least a tiny bit more prepared for what was to come. The village would fall, but they would do whatever they could in the meantime. The man was cleaning his hammer when the soldier hurried over, "Asha'man, the trollocs have started advancing with the Eyeless. En masse. We don't have long before they are upon us."

"Alright." Nate looked at Johan, "can you go warn Jaren and Amathie? I'm gonna stay here and make their lives as difficult as possible. Don't worry I'm sure there'll be more fighting soon." He gave Johan a clasp on the shoulder, then turned his attention to the sky. The storm was his doing, and it was only going to get worse when he was done with it. The Blue drew on Saidin once more, putting his hands out and towards the sky before him. These things took time, but the storm was going to get a lot worse. Mighty lashings of rain, lots of lightning, and a fierce wind. When he could see the trollocs he would strike with lightning and ice, and delay the time it took them to get to the wall. He'd also try to keep the worst of the storm from the village proper, but the weather didn't always listen to such instructions, taking them as mild suggestions instead.

"Come on Jaren," he muttered to himself, "get those people outta here while you still can."

Elan
"Lord of Chaos"

Post by Elan » September 23rd, 2017, 3:57 pm

Jaren
All too soon Amathie had to go make the gateways for people to go through as the one Nate had tied off faded. Jaren was left alone with the rest of the people, all looking to him with hope and grim resignation warring on their faces. By now it was impossible to tell who were the worst injured without going around Delving everybody, and there was no time for that; those who could get up and walk had already been sent off, with the Healed ones assisting many of them, and those left in the barn were all going to die if Jaren didn’t get to them before the village was ran over.

He tried to be efficient. He tried to waste as little time as possible between patients, move from one to the next without hesitation or thinking too much… But when there was no clear order of priority, when he was left to make the decision on intuition alone, and when that decision might mean the difference between someone getting to live over someone else… It was not easy.

Johan showing up helped a little. Jaren smiled tiredly up at the Gaidin without pausing in his channelling. “Had fun with Nate?”

“Sure,” Johan replied. “A little less so after you lost the first one.”

Jaren winced. “Sorry.” That had been an older man, a one-armed ex-soldier who had chosen to suffer in stoic silence and bleed to death from a wound hidden under his cloak, while Jaren had been Healing others who could have waited a few minutes longer. Bloody Borderlanders and their flaming misguided notions of honour!

“Don’t be daft,” Johan said. He was moving among the remaining patients, inspecting their wounds. “I wasn’t blaming you, I’m—” Worried about you, is what he’d been about to say but he cut off, crouching down next to one of the villagers. “Jaren, I think this one should go next.”

Jaren finished the Healing in process and straightened, heading over to Johan and the villager in question. A Delving told him that Johan was right; the woman didn’t have long to live. Jaren spared the Gaidin a grateful look as he wove all five elements into a delicate net. “Thank you.”

“That’s what I’m here for,” Johan replied as he moved on. “And to tell you Nate’s not too optimistic about how much longer we have.”

Jaren had assumed as much, but there was only so much faster he could work without risking the patients. And he was getting tired, too. “Well then, let’s hurry up,” he said anyway, because that was the sort of response you gave when you were told you’re running out of time. Outside, the storm seemed to be getting worse… or better, he supposed, depending on your point of view. He had faith in Nate’s weather manipulation.

Amathie came back, dripping water from her hair and clothes and a grim expression on her face. “I’ve tied off the gateway,” she said. “It should hold for as long as we need, now.” Or as long as we have left, was what she left unsaid; at this point it hardly needed to be said. She got right to work and they were able to get the last villagers on their feet.

“You get them through the gateway,” Jaren said, “Johan and I will get Nate.” Technically Amathie had seniority and Jaren shouldn’t have been giving her orders, but she simply nodded and ushered the villagers towards where she’d left the gateway. Jaren ignored Johan’s protests that he should head for safety as well and let the Gaidin go after Nate alone; he dashed towards the wall where they’d last seen Nate—

Just in time to see a segment of the wall crumble and a tidal wave of Trollocs pour in.

Shit.

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Matty » September 28th, 2017, 9:26 pm

Nate was ready for the trolloc invasion, and despite not believing fully in them until he came to the Grey Tower, they no longer filled him with fear. Instead now, he was simply prepared to deal with them, as he'd faced far worse and come out the other side. They were huge, smelly and dangerous, yes, but Nate was an Asha'man, and he had Saidin on his side. He could kill hundreds of these things before they could even get close to him... something he would prove in the coming battle against them.

He lashed out with lightning at the first wave of trollocs, supported by the archers of course. But there were so many that it was ridiculous for the guards to remain on the wall with him, far too dangerous when they had family to protect as they escaped. Nate looked to the captain, "get everyone off the wall and behind the gate. It's gonna implode and it's gonna get messy, we need to be in the ground. And by we, I mean not me." He could take care of himself and he needed the additional height to get a better look at what he was killing.

The other men retreated down below and Nate was alone on the wall soon after, a beacon of rage and light against the filth invading the village. It wasn't right, these bullies barging their way in and ruining so many lives. It was disgusting, really. The Dark One was a bastard, making people suffer like that. Nate wasn't going to sit idly by and watch it happen though, they were going to help as many people as they could. If helping the Yellows herd people away meant standing there and drawing attention to himself as he fried trollocs to a crisp, then so be it. Not really built for helping people, he thought to himself, just for hitting the stuff that tries to hurt them. It was a thought for another day, and Nate had made peace with his violent tendencies. He maimed, the Yellows Healed. They would help as many villagers as possible.

It could only last for so long though. When the gates fell, they fell, and the trollocs began to pour into the doomed village. Nate grimaced and hurried to the other side of the wall looking into the village, looking down with dismay as the remaining soldiers threw themselves in at the incoming creatures. Nate gripped onto the power and lashed out with more lightning and ice, throwing the trollocs into disarray, but they were outnumbered. They needed to leave. "Bloody ashes," he muttered, unhooking his hammer. "JAREN! AMATHIE! WE NEED TO RETREAT!"

Easier said than done when he was being piled by trollocs. They were coming up the stairs to the wall now, and Nate was alone up there. He made a face but then in a flash of inspiration he made a Gateway at the top of the stairs, tying it off. It led to nowhere really, just a field he had visited in Saldaea before, but that was enough to stop the trollocs. Nate exhaled and looked over the side of the wall down below, not sure how to get to the Yellows (and Johan). In the meantime he could strike some more trollocs with lightning.

So that was what he did.

Elan
"Lord of Chaos"

Post by Elan » October 15th, 2017, 6:33 pm

Jaren
Jaren stared up at the Blue on the wall with an incredulous look. We need to retreat? You don’t say. Next to him Johan muttered, not quite under his breath, “And there I was planning on staying for a picnic.” But the feeling that carried over the bond was far from amused. They couldn’t leave Nate, but how under the bloody Light were they going to fight all the Trollocs between the Blue and the way to safety? That would take more Fire than Jaren could channel even fully rested…

But maybe he didn’t need that much Fire. The plan that was coming together was a thing of desperation, there was no guarantee it would work… but that applied to most things in life, and it wasn’t like he had much choice; the Trollocs were advancing despite Nate’s lightning, there was not much time. However, not trying was not an option.

“I’m going to try something,” he said even as the hair-thin flows of Air began to form. He extended the flows forward, over the Trollocs rushing towards them… and then added Fire. It was not hot enough to kill, not even enough to hurt them seriously, but it was flashy and it looked like proper fire, and he hoped that would be enough. Trollocs weren’t terribly intelligent, after all; without a Myrddraal driving them, they were dumb and cowardly and Jaren hoped that might make the plan work.

Next to him, Johan swore colourfully. “If you could do that, why’d you wait this long?!”

Jaren shook his head, straining to keep the mostly ineffectual flames up. “Oh it’s nothing— no, listen, it’s literally nothing; it’s more an illusion of fire than actual fire,” he explained quickly as the Trollocs scattered, almost clearing a way to the wall. “But they don’t know that. Yet. I fear they’ll figure it out soon enough. But maybe I can buy Nate some time…” Nate would be able to see the weaves, should be able to figure out what Jaren was doing, and maybe… maybe he could get to them before the Trollocs regrouped.

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik