When the Hunter becomes the Hunted [attn: Bella and Craig]

The World outside the Grey Tower is a vast place.
Bella
Female Channeller Representative
PC: Miahala Darrow Sedai
SC: Lysira Viathene Gaidin
TC: Gareth Tomosan Asha'man
QC: Natlya Cade Gaidin
QC: Andraste Alhandra Sedai

Re: When the Hunter becomes the Hunted [attn: Bella and Craig]

Post by Bella » September 7th, 2017, 2:57 am

Mia sat back on her heels and let out a long breath. That simple weave had taken more out of her than it would have at any other moment, which was frustrating. She was not spent, but closer to it than if she hadn't been carrying this child. Not that she resented the child for that, or Ravak, but it was an annoying twist of the Creator to make it work this way.

She looked at the cabin and knew she could do nothing for it. She did not have the power for that. And when all was said and done, the life of this man was more important than the building.

Ravak listed his thoughts on what they needed to do next, and their various options. He had been skilled with those axes, and she could imagine he would do well in the Yards. The question was, of course, would be whether that was something he wished to do...but they could take him back, let him rest and heal further, then give him the choice.

With that decision made in her mind, she contemplated his last question. "The weave itself? Not long. How long will it take me to recover a bit of energy to do it? Harder to say. Give me...just a little bit to sit for a moment. Do we have anything to eat within the bags?" They had not planned on much of a journey that required supplies, after all.

Craig
Librarian
PC: Ravak t'Sha'hal Darrow
SC: Elia Darrow
TC: Zarayne
QC: Farah Kattan

Post by Craig » September 11th, 2017, 2:15 pm

Ravak
"Well..." The answer to that question was always yes, but the food was only arguably edible, at least in Ravak's opinion. Pemmican was part-and-parcel of any Gaidin's supplies when leaving the Tower, and whilst it served as a fuel, it had long since fallen out of a number of people's favours. For Rav, getting ill and delirious whilst consuming a mixture of wild berries and pemmican had done a lot to put him off the stuff for life.

He rummaged inside the near-empty saddlebag on Impala's flank for the waxy paper that it came wrapped in. Two hundred years the Grey Tower has stood, full of busy minds, and they still haven't come up with anything better than this? Rolling his eyes, he took hold of the wrapped bundle and brought it over to Miahala.

Taking a seat beside his wife, Rav passed the pemmican over, then snorted. "It's a little troubling to think that I'd rather have to deal with bandits and ransackers over wining and dining with a bunch of nobles." He shook his head when Mia offered back the food. "Maybe I need the Yellows to look at my head," he jested.
Image Image Image Image
Craig's Tracker ❖ Librarian
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Roan
Non-Channeller Representative
PC: Riahana
SC: Tia Tomosan, Aes Sedai
TC: Paks Liard, Ji'Val

Post by Roan » September 11th, 2017, 8:33 pm

Bastian Vass
Voices. Two of them. It took a bit before Bastian could make out what they were saying, and then a bit longer for him to put the pieces of the day’s events together. Bandits thought to take his home from him, and he’d attempted to defend it.

The smell of smoke tugged him closer to consciousness, and the man’s eyes fluttered open. Just as he came to, he heard footsteps and turned to see the man who wielded two swords walk to the woman’s side. The woman who had been sitting quite close to him. Bastian propped himself up on an elbow, wincing at the expected pain. . .which didn’t come.

Confused, he looked to his shoulder, pulling his shirt back only to find the wound healed. Aes Sedai, then? he wondered. The evidence pointed to such a conclusion. He realized both the man and woman were looking at him and he pushed himself up to a seated position such that he was facing them both, “Thank you for your aid. I doubt I had much fight left in me.” His brows were still furrowed deeply as he turned his pale gaze to Mia, “I think. . .thank you for not just helping with those men, but my shoulder, too, Aes Sedai.” He figured he’d make an educated guess and let her correct him if he was wrong.

Over their shoulders, he could see his cabin, or what remained of it. The fire still raged on, and it was clear it would be a total loss. As part of him started to consider what his next steps were, his stomach growled, and he realized he felt as if he was starving. Looking at the traveling ration the woman was eating, his lips twitched slightly, “I might be able to provide a slightly heartier meal than pemmican. Given there’s good fire going behind us, and I had been in the midst of processing a buck I took this morning, I think venison might be more appealing?”

Bastian left the question unanswered as he pushed himself to his feet, somewhat staggering in the process as he felt a bit light headed. It didn’t take him long to retrieve the cuts of meat he’d already taken from the buck. The roof of the cabin had already given way by the time he regained consciousness. By the time he’d come back to the clearing, two of the walls had fallen in. Just walking seemed to take a great deal more effort than he was used to, and his arms were shaking by the time he’d gotten the meat skewered and placed such that they’d cook by indirect heat from the fire. He all but collapsed next to the two strangers, sounding winded as he spoke, “I am Bastian Vass. I’d offer you my hospitality, but. . .well, about all I can offer is a bit of ground and maybe some venison.”

Bella

Post by Bella » September 12th, 2017, 11:41 pm

Borderlander spirit, Mia thought with approval as she watched the large man not only wake, but speak, get up and start doing things. It was clear he was...not feeling his best, but that was to be expected. It was only stubborn independence that made him move now, and she knew that--without knowing him in the least--because they were both of the Borderlands.

Her lips curved slightly in a smile as she watched him, waiting until he dropped back down before she spoke.

"My name is Miahala Darrow Sedai," she introduced herself, since he had already figured it out. "This is Ravak Darrow Gaidin." She purposely included her new surname, and Ravak's, since it was something she was proud of and useful information on its own. They have no fear of this man, and contemplated offering him a place at the Tower. No need to hide it.

"A place to sit, and something other than this--" She held up the pemmican. "--is not something I will argue against."

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » September 13th, 2017, 11:30 pm

Ravak
Ravak quietly watched the man get up and make himself busy. The Master of Arms' natural inclination to give guidance (or flat-out instructions) faded in the light that this man was firstly not one of his Gaidin, and secondly was contemplating something much larger than his present inability to balance. The house blazed unchecked, reminding the Shienaran of an earlier time, when Seanchan came to burn Hama Valon from the skies. There was nothing he could have done then, and there was nothing he could do now.

Rav took his place beside Mia, guarding her closely no matter how unlikely this man was to pose a threat to either of them. He may well need to eat the whole buck to regain all of his strength back. Ravak wasn't about to offer up that information until he knew a bit more about what had just happened.

"You're taking this well, what with your home being destroyed. Do you often find yourself single-handedly facing down bandits?"
Image Image Image Image
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Roan

Post by Roan » September 14th, 2017, 8:05 pm

Bastian Vass
Bastian looked from Miahala to Ravak, offering both a small, but warm smile. He felt weary and hungry, but it would take some time for the venison to cook. Shaking his head slightly, he answered Ravak’s question, “I’ve lived in this cabin for most of my life. Today is the first day there’s ever been a threat to my home. Even the road you were likely traveling on is fairly quiet.

“There may have been issues closer to town, but the town militia tends to handle it. I tend to keep to my business as often as not,” Bastian explained. “As for takin’ all of this well?” he added as he looked to what remained of the burning cabin, and let out a heavy sigh. “My father used to say, ‘Son, there ain’t no use cryin’ over spilt milk. It’s best to accept circumstances ye can’t change and move on than to wallow. The Vass family doesn’t wallow, ye hear?’”

The warm smile he’d worn turned a bit forlorn with memories of his father, but he wasn’t one to wallow, after all. When he looked back to Ravak and Mia, “What all can I do other than look forward? Don’t get me wrong, I am upset and angry that those so focused on greed destroyed my home, but it is just a building. I am still alive, and for that, I am grateful.”

Bella

Post by Bella » September 17th, 2017, 10:22 pm

The baby apparently could smell the venison as it worked over the fire, because he (or she) started spinning. Mia exhaled softly, trying not to think about the months to come when that same motion could wedge feet into her ribs or the weight pressing against her back to the point where she passed out.

The joys of creation.

Listening to what the young man had to say and trying to ignore the growing appetite in her, she smiled faintly at the woodsman. "So, you are looking forward," she said appreciably. "Where will forward lead you?"

Roan

Post by Roan » September 20th, 2017, 3:31 pm

Bastian
The man gave a wry smile that looked more akin to a smirk as he looked back to the ruins of his cabin, “Truth be told, I have no idea where forward will lead me. I’ve known nothing more than a simple life. I hunt for my food, trade skins of animals I take for other provisions I can’t get from the land. . .tend the simple garden.

“I’ve not wanted much beyond that, but perhaps it is time for me to see a bit more of the world. I’m too old to become an apprentice, so I think my options might be limited,” Bastian admitted. He pushed himself back to his feet and went to check on the venison. The smell of the meat made his stomach rumble, and he was more than relieved that it seemed the meat was fully cooked through. He brought the skewers back to where the Aes Sedai and her Gaidin husband were sitting, offering each of them their own skewer as he all but collapsed to the ground again.

As tired as he felt, he was even more hungry. Holding up his own skewer he nodded to Ravak and Mia, “It may not be the fanciest of meals but it’s got to be better than travel rations.” Without further ceremony, he took a bite out of his and only the company of two strangers kept his manners in check. Had they not been there, he may well have pulled the meat off with his fingers instead of biting it from the skewer. After swallowing down a bit, he shook his head, “I don’t understand it. I had a huge breakfast this morning. I should not be this hungry.”
Spoiler: show
Clearly, he doesn't understand what Healing does to a person.

Bella

Post by Bella » September 20th, 2017, 10:55 pm

Mia observed him with some amusement, most of which she kept to herself...well, to herself and Ravak. She didn't let it out in her expression, that was. Even though relinquishing the Oaths had given her back the appearance of a human being rather than a marble statue, she was still Aes Sedai and had spent decades perfecting her self-control.

"It was the Healing," she explained. "It draws upon your own energy, so you need to fuel it again once you are well."

Pausing, she glanced sidelong at Ravak for a moment and they exchanged a knowing look and nod, thinking to what they had spoken of when the woodsman had been unconscious. She considered her words while she took a bite of the meat, finding herself (and the child) equally famished.

After chewing and swallowing, she broached the topic. "You could return with us," she offered. "We saw you fight and you clearly have skill. The warder yards are always looking for trainees to do...well, what you just did. And work to improve it."

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » September 23rd, 2017, 11:27 pm

Ravak
Ravak was more than happy to let Mia be the spokesperson for the Warder Yards. He was already mentally switched into the gears that let him be her Warder, not the ones that preserved with his badge and office. No-one expected a Warder to speak at any rate. In the stories, all they did was slay with aplomb. But you can do that and have a mouth. It was enough that he could communicate effectively with Mia.

Ravak just played the role of encourager. When Mia mentioned Healing, he nodded silently in the background. He did the same again when she spoke of the Warder Yards. "Drin come from all places, are of all ages and from every nation. We don't treat you like a dewy-eyed imbecile like some military companies would. The Yards recognise that everyone is different." All true and thankfully so. It was that individual approach to training that had made Ravak the man he was.

"You should come with us regardless," he continued. "Even if not to join us in the Yards, Hama Valon has plenty to offer. And I'd- we'd feel bad about leaving you alone out here after all this."
Image Image Image Image

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik