Two Guys and a City State: A Bells and Brawn Adventure [Attn: Matty]

The World outside the Grey Tower is a vast place.
Andy
"A Crown of Swords"
PC: Alrim Farshera Gaidin

Re: Two Guys and a City State: A Bells and Brawn Adventure [Attn: Matty]

Post by Andy » August 26th, 2017, 2:07 pm

“I can promise you that stranger things have happened,” he said in response to their surprise, looking at Nate directly then, “but perhaps that is for another time. So long as I am alive and am able then your son will be safe. I can promise nothing more, our lives are...changeable”

He chuckled at the mention of scars and being attractive to women. Plenty had seen them whilst he had been training but none had ever used them as an excuse to come and talk to him that he could remember. In fact the only two free women who had gone out of their way to speak to him, about him, had been Fiona and Sadira. And Fiona had vanished of late. To his knowledge neither really knew how scarred he was. The one on his back from defending Nate was the largest but there were a multitude of smaller ones that dotted his torso. Mostly on the front, to his credit.

“Not sure about being a Carridus, too small for that but I wouldn’t mind sharing food and drink with such good people” he said as he pulled his shirt back on and tugged at it until it was properly back in place.

“I wouldn’t worry Nate,” he said, using his proper name for emphasis, “if I can handle Trollocs I can handle them. Besides, it is nice to see where you came from. I can see why you are the way you are now and the world needs more people like them” he said as they made their way back to solid ground.

He simply nodded agreement with the plan presented, when Brawn got an idea in his head it was hard to dig out and he saved such confrontations for things that he thought mattered. Getting more drink though was a good idea and it showed that they were not about to simply take from his blood brood. As they made their way he thought upon the Carridus family. Simple folk, not in the mental sense but the spirit. They did what they enjoyed and lived honestly. He could see why they would raise a child to have firm convictions and the will to right wrongs.

A Blue before he was even born. How fitting he mused to himself.

“I wish I could have returned the favour and introduced you to my blood. I’ll have to settle for the Tower folk, they are family now. You should tell them about your own successes by the way. I think they would be proud of you for them”

“It might help with the fact you are away a lot if they knew what you were away for. Perhaps when lips are looser and legs are more unsteady” he said with a curl of amusement to his lips.

It was a short enough trip and they both pushed through the door with enough ale to sink the ship they had been upon shortly before. Alrim had let Nate buy the drink but he had managed to rustle up a stall that sold warm pies and assorted goods. He placed the covered tray upon the table for them all to tuck in upon. If they were anything like Nate, and seemingly they were, they’d have enough room for three meals and more.

“You trying to take my place young man?” a woman chided him in an amused tone, she could only have been Nate’s mother.

“I would never dream but I know how much he eats, thought a snack might help tide over”

There was a bit of laughter and Alrim realised there were even more people than before and that was an understatement. He went to put his drinks down whilst Nate’s mother took in her son and approached for their reunion. He gave them space for that, no doubt she missed him.
~
Arafel Will Rise, Kick Matty's Butt & Be Totally The Most Awesome Land Evar
~

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Murdock Mather, Keeper of the Archives
SC: Nathaniel Carridus, Asha'man (Blue)
TC: Maever Donovan, Asha'man (Yellow)

Post by Matty » August 28th, 2017, 9:25 pm

There was some level of psychoanalysis at play that Nate didn't care to look into. Whatever Bells meant by getting an idea of who he was based on meeting his family... it made sense, but the Blue didn't feel up to the task of dissecting it. He was a product of his upbringing and his fair dosage of Carridusness, that Just Made Sense. He did agree that the world needed more people like his family, because with the exception of Tristan Nate got along pretty well with all of them, even years after last seeing them.

He didn't know what to say when Bells mentioned wishing he could have had Nate meet his own family. A twinge of regret passed through him and he clasped his friend on the shoulder, opting to say nothing. He knew he wasn't always the best with words and saying "you have Carriduses now and we're awesome" would not necessarily be interpreted the correct way. Besides, for all that they joked about Bells being an honourary Carridus, he had his own blood relatives and there was no replacing them. Brawn could occupy some of his heart, sure, but never that part, and he wouldn't insult the fellow by trying either.

"I don't know about that," Nate said, "I don't really wanna tell them what I get up to in too much detail. They like the fights and the drinking and the funny stories but Trollocs? Darkfriends? Viadulo?" Nate shook his head, "I love them all but, well, we ain't the smartest folk generally. I think that the world they live in is a small one. Happy, spirited, well meaning... but small. It took the Grey Tower to make me realise that there was more than Mayene, and telling them that I go along the Blightborder kicking the Shadow's ass and saving children sounds good on paper, but telling them that? It's not what they know. Heck, they don't really get channelling, and they don't even think trollocs are real! I'd rather let 'em think I'm a bit weird. Besides..." here Nate looked down at his friend, "the less they know about what I do the better." It would keep them safe if they weren't privvy to his dealings.

Ale was procured, and Bells got some pies as well (pies Nate wasn't allowed to have any of until they arrived at the party). It was just as Nate expected it to be, with a neat wooden house his Aunt Sera had lived in for some years. Already there was plenty of food, drink and more importantly, people. Nate saw his close and extended family all around, and a giant grin crossed his face as he hauled the keg of ale to join the rest. "I'd introduce you to everyone but it'd take all night to get that outta the way," he said.

Then his mother pitched in and Nate reached down to give her a hug and a kiss - not as far as he might for most women, as Ma Carridus stood as tall as most men and was solid with it. With sharp hazel eyes and hair the same shade as Nate's (or should I say, his was the same shade as hers), it showed the intellect and shred gaze did not come from his father's side... "Ma!" he said happily, "how are you?"

"Me? Oh you know, putting on a feast for far too many people because you decided to show up," she said. Unlike everyone else there dressed for the occasion, she was wearing an apron and from the pocket she withdrew a wooden spoon to thwap Nate on the chest with. "Honestly boy, some advance warning next time! But it's so good to see you..." she put an arm through his, "so tell me, who is this fine gentleman you are with? Is he your...?"

"No Ma! He's Bells, my best friend and brother at the Tower," Nate said a little too quickly. Light, what was it with people asking him about Bells and him? "He's saved my hide and I trust him with my life. He stops me from charging into stuff headfirst... usually," he added with a chuckle.

"Then it's good to meet you," Ma said warmly. "Do keep my son from getting himself killed. Now dear, we'll have a catch up later - you have a lot of curious cousins wishing to test you in an arm wrestle."

"They can bloody well try," Nate muttered.

"Language!"

"Err. They can flaming well try, the scurvy currs?"

His Ma nodded and took a slice of pie for herself. Nate took that opportunity to hand Bells a drink, he was going to need it.
------ Murdock -------------- Nathaniel --------------- Maever -------

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » September 7th, 2017, 5:58 pm

Nate's comments about his family were clearly well thought out ones, he was not sure he saw them as fully accurate but he accepted they were what the man believed. For his own part he wasn't sure Nate's family wouldn't become a target one day, with or without being told the stark reality. He was also not so sure they were 'simple' folk either, for what that was worth. It was not, thankfully, his choice to make though and as such he merely nodded and said no more upon the subject. It was soon subsumed beneath the meeting and greeting of the rest oft he family and for that he was thankful.

"Stubbornness runs in the family so I am told, it is a pleasure to meet you" he bowed his head respectfully for Ma Carridus, she was the warm and motherly type, he had always liked those, they were kind of heart and generous with their time where possible.

It was a whirlwind after that, so much so that he found it difficult to keep up with all of the names, faces and stories he was told. Nate had not been kidding, it was a large family and though the first span of time was spent in greeting he was not entirely sure he even met all of those present. He drank quite a bit, he had to with how dry his mouth kept getting from the words spoken. He did notice, however, that as he was being sent in the greeting circle Nate was dragged off to do Light knew what but it sounded at least rowdy, and possibly brawlish too.

"No, I haven't seen him send a wave of water at someone but there was this one time there was fire. No it's true but best left for another time. Arafel. Yes I am told it can't be better than Mayene. I don't know, Arafel has its charms. Oh the Bells?....call it custom. Yes that is how I got my name. Yes I can use the sword quite well. Gaidin, yes. No there is no lass waiting for me back at the Tower that I know of. Possibly but then I wouldn't know. I don't really advertise it. Of course, you are correct, I shall think upon it. Oh I wouldn't want to waste the time of such fine women as yourselves. Absolutely, you know you can do-"

It was only after feeling he was running out of breath that he was released for the meanwhile to see what was going on with most f the menfolk. As it turned out they were arm wrestling and generally trying to prove they were the better man at whatever game was going. It was clearly a family tradition and he watched from the sides long enough to be noticed and dragged into it himself. Arm wrestling was his fate and thankfully his training gave him enough to win a fair few of them. He wasn't sure there were tournament rules or anything but if he could get them onto card tricks and juggling he'd be golden that was for sure.
~
~

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Matty » September 11th, 2017, 11:56 am

It didn't take long for the Carridus folk to get into the spirit of things. Most of the people there wanted to meet Bells and talk to him about the Tower, Nate, what a Gaidin was, that sort of thing, asking questions as quick as they could be answered. They meant well, and were friendly enough, but then they moved on to other things and someone else stepped in to ask a lot of the same things. Thus the cycle continued.

Nate spent some time with his Ma, letting her confirm herself that he was fine and didn't need anything, that she didn't have to go to the Grey Tower and kick anyone on his behalf. Funny how you could be a strapping Asha'man and still get treated like a child when you visited the homeland, but Nate was ok with it. He gave his Ma a kiss on the cheek when it was time to get a drink, but from then he was promptly dragged out onto the sand for the various activities the men liked to get up to. A tug of war, arm wrestling, barrel holding, it was all a good time. Nate's training didn't just make him look like a brick wall, he was damn strong with it as well, and it was a real boost to his ego when he found himself winning most of these activities. Tower trained was just better after all.

"You know," Nate said to some of his cousins after a particularly rigorous arm wrestle, "you'd do well as Warder trainees. Why don't you come see what it's like?"

"Uhhh..."

"C'mon," Nate encouraged. "See Bells over there? Sure, he's a midget, but he's strong, and he can use a sword real well, and he's fought the Eyeless."

"Nate me lad," said Uncle Firaz from behind, a hand on his shoulder, "leave the lads be." His cousins left and Nate turned to look at his uncle, a dark-haired, solid man in the Carridus way, almost of a height with him.

"But the Tower was so good for me," he said. "And for Bells! If they ain't happy here, they should try it out, even for a little bit." His cousins shared a shifty look and shuffled a bit, which should have told Nate to drop it. "Eh, it's up to them I guess. But look - Bells is arm wrestling Dimitri now and he's treating it like a walk on the docks." Indeed, Bells won without too much trouble, and Nate was extremely proud of his Borderlander brother/buddy. "

"Let's arm wrestle him!" said one of his cousins, and off they went to do just that. Not the response Nate was hoping for but ah well. Kids...

As the evening wore on and Nate drank more and more, things began to get rowdier, but it was quite typical for the setting. Eventually a shirtless Nate stumbled away from the ale kegs and made his way to the wooden docks nearby, where he could sit with his feet in the cool ocean water. Where had his shirt gone? No matter. He made a low groan in his throat, then knocked back the mug he was holding, some home brewed stuff that packed a kick but tasted like ass. The Blue looked back at the festivities with a grin, opting to head back in when his own head stopped ringing quite so much, and he cooled off a bit.

In typical fashion Bells sought him out, maybe just to check he hadn't drowned, and Nate waved him over. "Bells!" he called out, a grin on his face. He lay back on the cool wood of the dock, one hand behind his head and the other scratching the hair on his chest. "Good to see ya. On a scale of one to, uhhh, eleventeen, how awesome is everyone? Ain't they great? How was arm wrestling?" Nate cracked out a yawn, finding himself pleasantly comfortable in this position.

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » September 13th, 2017, 4:54 pm

Even for a rowdy affair things went by quickly and were hard to remember. He did remember that he was supposed to be on his best behaviour and so he didn't drink too much. It was hard to avoid given the company and the fact that they wanted to give him another cup after every bit of arm wrestling but he managed to give the air of drinking it more than actually drinking it. He won most of the bouts, which was a surprise to him. He didn't think that using a sword so much would make him strong at such a game but upon reflection it made sense.

Doubt I'd stand a chance at wrestling with these giants though, not unless I was really allowed to stop them by any means...which would take the fun out he told himself as a shirt was thrown at his head.

"Stuff it in his mouth you see him next, telling us to go join" one of the cousins laughed hugely.

"I think it would make enough men of you to beat my arm wrestling" he said with a grin and silence followed until they laughed again and went off to find more to drink.

It was not difficult to find his brother, he was usually somewhere cool and wide open. At least it wasn't raining just yet. He stepped up the him, laying upon his back, and nudged him with the tip of his boot and let the shirt drop onto his lap. He managed to sit down next to him, legs crossed and gaze looking out across the water, seeing of the stars and moon were reflected upon its constantly shifting surface.

"They are good people though I wish they hadn't tried so hard to tear my arm off, I like it where it is," he said in an amused tone, "never thought I'd see the day you were less sober than me. Thought you weren't wanting them to be involved with Tower business?" he said with a wry smile.

"You are a lucky man you know, they sing your praises and love you more than you could probably ever know. Your mother specifically told me so. I think she worries about you. I don't think you'll ever be higher than her hip in her eyes"

"I think they said something about a drinking contest at some point. If they make it that far I will be impressed. I could understand if you moved back here and never left, it is...peaceful. The party discounted, of course"
~
~

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Matty » September 13th, 2017, 6:04 pm

Little more than a token grunt escaped the Blue when Bells dropped the shirt on him. He shoved it idly to the side with his free hand and smiled up at his buddy as he sat down next to him. "I know I said that, but if they wanted to... I wouldn't stop 'em. But if they stay here they should stay safe. 'sup to them." The Mayener waved his arm, "I know, normally I can hold my drink! Ugh... I don't think I could drinking game... I've had enough." He let out a loud belch as if to make his point but really it was just well timed.

"I do feel lucky you know." It was good to be with his family, and it was good to hear that they were proud of him. He couldn't stick around too much, it would trivialise his business and put them at an unnecessary risk, but Nate could visit from time to time, and get Bells out of his slump as well. "Us Carriduseseses are good people. Apart from that flaming Reuben, Asha'man bastard." Nate made an exaggerated noise of disgust before hauling himself into an upright position. He swayed a little and in the end had to put a thick arm around Bells' shoulders to keep upright, though he did lean against him still. "Yer a good bloke Bells. Do I ever tell you that? Nah, I don't think I do. You'll make an Aes Sedai a real good Warder someday, mark my words. Keep 'em safe, make sure they don't get themselves in trouble. I can't..." the Asha'man heaved out a sigh, "I can't be that Aes Sedai. Asha'man. I'm too mad and angry and horny and dumb and I'd get you killed. Ain't a good idea to kill a Warder, right?" Nate chortled and gave a lone hiccup, "it'd be cool though. Bells and Brawn, arm wrestling Darkfriends into submission. I'd get you a lovely Carridus wife, and you could wear that shiny cloak, and we could scour civverlisation of any bad people. Protect the weak! Yeah!"

Sitting up was proving to be quite the challenge, and Nate wriggled so he had his head on Alrim's lap, where he lay on his back again and closed his eyes. It was comfy, and he was relaxed - and tired with it. It was peaceful here, and if there wasn't so much wrongness to right out in the world he might well stay here. He could always retire to Mayene when he was well old. Nate itched his nose with a heavy hand, "storm's comin'," he muttered. "It ain't too far away..." there wasn't much by the way of clouds in the sky, but Nate knew what his body was telling him. At least he did until he began to doze on Bell's lap, an unsubtle action given how loud he could snore.

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » September 13th, 2017, 6:30 pm

As usual things went from relatively calm and normal for precisely two minutes before the gears shifted and things became amusing, if still tinged with the kinds of emotion that too much ale tended to bring out. He was fairly sure that Nate might regret it in the morning but he didn't say anything. Truthfully he didn't get much chance to say anything what with the arm wrapping around him and the slightly slurred speech tumbling out of his brother. It reminded him a little of how and Paks spoke of themselves, negative but in his voice it sounded jollier. Still he was surprised when he fell asleep on him. He thought he was joking for a few moments before he patted his face and found him to be stone cold knocked out.

"Nate...come on Nate...Brawn? Come on you big lump! Burn me you're heavy when you want to be" he muttered as he wriggled out from under him and pushed himself to his feet. It was difficult but with a few minutes of effort he managed to get him fully upon the wood beneath them but not much further.

He squatted down next to the snoring Asha'man and felt the first droplets of light rain predictably begin hitting him. Damned man was always bloody right about the weather. He sighed and at least covered his torso with the shirt until he could figure out what to do. The words spoken had been from the heart, that much was true, and they were appreciated. He was right, however, though not about everything. He was his brother, and he held a special place in Alrim's heart, but he didn't want to be in his head all of the time. Not for the reasons Nate stated but because the idea was uncomfortable to him. Family was a different kind of Bond. He smiled wryly to himself at the idea that he could have been Bonded to one of his sisters before a shiver overtook him at the thought. Yet he was dangerous, not by action but by nature. Fearless and wilful spirit had almost gotten him killed before, twice by Alrim's count. There was no return from such an event for Gaidin.

Still, he is not a bad person, just not my destiny he thought to himself as he rubbed his chin.

"Foolish giant, if you start talking about yourself the way I talk about myself I'm going to have to smack it out of you. You're a better man than me. There is no real darkness in you, despite what they did to you. I cannot say the same for myself. You are too hard on yourself" he sighed,

"There they are! Bless my boots what's wrong with him?"

"Too much drink. Help me get him to a bed before he gets a cold...or scares everything off with his snoring...either one"

Amidst much laughter and promises to mock Nate the following morning they managed to get him secluded away into a free cot with a blanket around him. They dragged Alrim back to the party to continue the fun but it wasn't the same now that Nate was absent. Still he was polite and managed to get drunk enough that he found a quiet corner to wedge himself in with a couple more bottles until the occasion died down and sleep took almost everyone else.

"To the Carridus...Carridusses...Carrid-d-di" he said to himself in toast, realising that he was now apparently one of them.

It was a nice feeling, to have another bit of family again.
~
~

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Matty » September 14th, 2017, 2:11 pm

By the time Nate woke up the next morning, it was pretty late and a fair number of folk had headed on to their respective homes. The Mayener lay there wishing he could fall asleep again, his head pounding and his mouth and throat dry, but it seemed he was awake now. With a grunt he rolled out of the cot and unsteadily straightened up to head down to the kitchen for a drink and something to line his stomach. Ugh. Where did his shirt go...? He'd find it later.

The comedown from the night before was a rough one. The Mayener felt tired, and his nose itched with the promise of an incoming storm still. But as he lumbered down the stairs and saw out of the windows, it was bright and sunny once more, any rain from the previous night being evaporated away by the Mayene heat. It doesn't look like it's going to rain again soon, but it feels like it should. It makes no sense - I'm never wrong about the weather. Maybe it was being in Mayene? No, he managed to tell what was happening wherever he went, and he'd been in Mayene a few days now.

Nate groaned and raked a hand through his long hair, hair that could really do with a cut as it hung loose and wild to his elbows. There was going to be a storm, but not the raining kind it would seem. That meant something was going to happen soon and he needed to be ready. Bells too, no doubt.

A few grunts were exchanged with his cousins before Nate helped himself to his breakfast, piling a plate high with meat and bread before digging in. Nate ate mechanically, pondering at the sensation and wondering whether to share it or not. In the end he opted against it; he had no reason to alarm his family. He could tell Bells in a bit.

"Holy moly Nate, you're still hungry?" asked cousin Lewis as Nate made himself another sandwich.

The man just said "yup." He felt a little more normal now he'd eaten but he was going to be hanging for most of the day, he could tell. "Is Bells about?"

"He was in the corner of the top room last time I saw him," Lewis said. Nate nodded and made another sandwich, taking a glass of water as well and taking both upstairs to find the Borderlander wherever he was. It was almost a shame to wake up the peacefully sleeping figure in the corner, though how the man could sleep anywhere he pleased was beyond Nate. The Blue squatted down with a grunt and nudged his friend, "hey Bells. Wake up." He waved the sandwich under his nose, "got you some food and drink. I'd've kept ya sleepin' but we have a problem."

It was a bit dramatic when he said it like that. Nate cleared his throat, speaking in a low voice that definitely sounded like he'd had too much of a good time the night before. "I can feel a storm coming. It's coming soon. But it ain't a weather one this time." It sounded so stupid when he put it like that, but Nate just knew it was coming, and he needed Bells around when it did. "I don't get it or how I know, I just do like when I know it's gonna rain. You gotta trust me on this one."

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » September 15th, 2017, 6:48 pm

Upon awakening his head hurt less than the previous handful of days but the water was still welcome and he took it without a word once he had figured out where he was and cursed internally at the time of the day from the window to the side of them. Nate seemed less worse for wear than he had expected, he had drunk himself into a stupor and that usually levelled most men regardless of height and girth. As he finished the water it was not the food which was shouting at him but the words.

"Speak sense Brawn, it's too early in the damn morning and our heads hurt to much for this skirting around," he said as he pinched the bridge of his nose and tried to stop the throb, "what do you mean there's a storm but not a storm?"

"Fine, tell your family and we'll shut the doors. Problem solved. Bit of rain and lightning never hurt us and if it gets bad just put a shield up"

It was said as if it were self-evident but he had just awoken and so it was quite well thought out considering, especially through the sandpaper tongue. He devoured the food quickly before leaning his head back against the well in comfortable pressure'

"I trust you but you've got to give me something more than 'I feel dodgy this morning, go with it' Brawn. I can protect this house but against what?"
~
~

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Matty » September 15th, 2017, 7:41 pm

The bloody nerve... should've eaten his damn sandwich myself. Nate's brow furrowed and he sat down in front of Bells rather than crouching, muttering a couple of quiet oaths as he did so.

"I've been up and eaten," Nate said matter of factly, trying to sound more put together than he actually was. He was normally a patient fellow but right then being questioned didn't sit as well with him as it normally would, so his answer was a bit gruff. "And I ain't flaming skirting around! Weren't you listening? It's not a weather thing. It's a... something else!" Nate made a frustrated noise and tried to reword and explain himself. Bells wasn't a channeller, he didn't have an innate understanding of how these things worked. To be fair neither did Nate but at least he knew some Power theory.

"So I can predict the weather," he explained from the beginning. "I don't know how, but I just know what the weather's gonna be like in a general sense, so... when it's gonna rain, or be sunny, or stormy. It's usually spot on. On top of that I can change the weather to a degree but that ain't the point here. The point is, I feel like we should have a storm, but if you look outside, there's no way that's gonna happen, not based on how it feels."

"I don't know what it is so I can't tell you what it's gonna be. But I know it's something, and I need to be ready for it. That's all I've got." Nate frowned down at his empty hands, "I think we've got time. I'm gonna go get my hammer and uniform. Can you... can you stay here and make sure everyone's ok? I don't think anything will happen right away but this bad feeling ain't going away until something hits."

He really didn't want to explain to his family that he was a walking weather forecast. The amount of time it would take to make them believe him, things would probably be set in motion and he'd be on the back foot from the start. "I'll tell 'em something's off when I get back. Yeah? Can you do that for me? Uhhh... can you stand?" Nate wasn't exactly a spring chicken himself, but he'd been awake for longer and food really did make a difference.

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik