Two Guys and a City State: A Bells and Brawn Adventure [Attn: Matty]

The World outside the Grey Tower is a vast place.
Andy
"A Crown of Swords"
PC: Alrim Farshera Gaidin

Two Guys and a City State: A Bells and Brawn Adventure [Attn: Matty]

Post by Andy » August 8th, 2017, 6:50 pm

It had not been overly long since events in Andor had led to a trip to the home lands of many Grey Tower citizens - Mayene. True their visit was not entirely for leisure, they had discovered references to a number of cities and any excuse to make sure his family were okay was all that was needed for Nate to all but drag Alrim there by the scruff of his neck. Not that he hadn't gone willingly of course but there had been considerably more excitement than their other journeys. Either way they had been there for a handful of days and so far had not encountered much of concern to either of them.

Mostly Alrim had spent the mornings trying not to be hung-over and packing his evenings with as much enjoyment and experience as was possible. He wasn't sure when he'd get to visit the place again and so he had made the most of it. Some might have asked what had changed since the good old days but if they asked they'd have eaten their words. He was doing his job at the same time, befriending those in the know and getting jobs done for the betterment of all. In his search for the Shadow he had already reported a number of illicit happenings to the guards.

Those who couldn't be swayed to be a point of contact of course. Still...no Darkfriends or Black Ajah yet and that troubled him more than put him at ease.

"Urgh...I wish I'd never had this idea in the first place," he muttered into the table he was slumped at awaiting Nate's morning arrival, "use your strengths they say...burn me if my strengths don't have their prices" he pressed his forehead into the wood, it felt better that way.

He still had yet to really see Nate's family though, that had been an unfortunate surprise that he suspected grated at the giant's sensibilities. He had wanted to make a show of his origins, to show how decent and upstanding or wonderful they were. Alrim did not doubt it but circumstance had not favoured them. Besides he was not sure it was wise to even be associated with them until they were absolutely sure there were no threats. He didn't want innocents upon his conscience.

"Hurry up and get here you cheerful mountain, I need to get into the air and maybe find a hole to hide in" he groaned as the innkeeper chuckled and placed a fortifying tea next to him with unnecessary satisfaction/
~
Arafel Will Rise, Kick Matty's Butt & Be Totally The Most Awesome Land Evar
~

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Murdock Mather, Keeper of the Archives
SC: Nathaniel Carridus, Asha'man (Blue)
TC: Maever Donovan, Asha'man (Yellow)

Re: Two Guys and a City State: A Bells and Brawn Adventure [Attn: Matty]

Post by Matty » August 9th, 2017, 6:58 am

Asha'man Brawn Nate was in a good mood, but then he usually was, and being in Mayene certainly helped things along. It was good to feel the sun, to really feel it instead of experiencing those cold and chilly days at the Grey Tower. To hear the sea, and smell the salt in the air, it all pleased the Asha'man greatly. Back on his home turf he felt more gregarious and himself, though there were some changes.

He was currently staying in an Inn called The Sailing Boats, and it suited his needs just fine. Nate was no snob and it had a decent bed, access to lots of breakfast, and it helped that the serving girls were a pretty bunch as well. The Asha'man spent his evenings much in the same way as Bells had, though it took a fair amount of drink to get Nate drunk, and he had no hangover to speak of. Perhaps he was better at moderation, or he ate enough to compensate for the sheer volume of ale he drank? Either way, that morning he was chipper, and he stomped down the stairs ready for the day. His Asha'man uniform had been replaced by an open shirt and some shorts, perfect for the weather and much less intimidating than when he carried his hammer around. Instead he was turning heads for different reasons and it was good for his ego.

"Bells, mornin'!" he said, his loud voice filling the Inn and making people wince. He dropped into one of the seats and grinned as his breakfast was brought out to him - they knew him well, and anticipated his needs, as he paid generously. "That's great, thanks." He took a fork and jammed it into a sausage and began to eat unceremoniously. "Good night last night, eh?" he asked with a grin between bites of breakfast. "I mean, there's always stuff going on here. But I don't think you look so good, which is a real shame 'cause if we end up going on a boat with my Da you'll not enjoy it so much."

The Asha'man had been trying to get in contact with his family since arriving in Mayene, but both parents had been out on one of their boats since before he arrived, and it wouldn't feel right seeing anyone else without seeing his Ma and Da as well. So Bells would just have to wait before meeting them. Today was the day they returned, and the Blue was excited, he hadn't seem them in years though they were aware of what he was up to thanks to letters. Though they had waved away a lad in his teens, and were getting back a mountain of an Asha'man. Ah well, his Da would crack some jokes and it would be just like old times.

"Have you eaten? No? You should have some breakfast, line yer stomach," Nate waved a sausage on a fork in front of Bells, "it's good for you! Might make you feel less like death." The man left the sausage on the wooden table in front of Bells so he could get back to his own eating, but when he was done they could head out for the day. Alrim no doubt had some plans of his own, and normally Nate would too. Today it just so happened the Blue would be cancelling both their plans in order to see the Carridus family. "This afternoon we're gonna meet my family." Ma and Da, who owned a few small boats for tours or fishing purposes. His brother Tristan, who had a family of his own now. A large number of uncles and cousins, mostly men, mostly sailors and dockhands and that sort of thing. Only Reuben wouldn't be there, as he was an Asha'man of the Black Tower and hadn't been seen or heard from since he last sent a letter declaring his raising. Harrumph. That wasn't going to spoil Nate's mood though.
------ Murdock -------------- Nathaniel --------------- Maever -------

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » August 9th, 2017, 8:32 pm

He heard Brawn before he arrived, it was difficult not to hear the feet upon the stairs and the plate hitting the table inches from his head which felt less than pleasant. The booming voice didn't help him much either, the man was always so damned cheerful despite drinking just as much as he had. He was starting to think he was cheating somehow. He groaned and indicated with his fingers to bring the volume down a little before pushing himself up and sipping the tea with distaste, leaning back into his chair and looking at him.

"I must be getting old," he sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose, "still I suppose it's better to enjoy life when you can. I got some names perhaps, of interest" he slid a copy of the short list across the table without any other words, none would be required.

As he set about finishing his tea and debating whether he could stomach stealing a few pieces of food from his friend the revelation of what Brawn had planned was laid out. It didn't surprise him in truth, he had talked about meeting the family every day since they had arrived but they had been away. He had to give it to him, he was dedicated and single minded when it came to what mattered to him. He didn't like the idea of possibly leading anyone to his family but he fancied there was little choice in the matter.

"I suppose we shall. I am guessing if I say no I get carried there with air cord....things right? In that case I concede, I can't be bothered to fight this morning" he stole a piece of meat from Nate's plate and chewed on it slowly, testing his hunger.

In truth there were few indications of any foul play and given they had been in a few states since arriving that were easy ambushes and nothing had happened he was inclined to relax and dismiss the initial source of information. Still he wore his sword and other weapons just in case. He ordered a small portion of food under Nate's advice and finished his tea with a grimace.

"Not sure I'm in any condition for my usual fun either. Tried holding the fiddle this morning, it wasn't a pretty sight. Who is it we're meeting then Everyone or just some?"
~
~

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Matty » August 13th, 2017, 2:49 pm

The note of interest was met with barely a grunt from Nate, who barely paused in his eating to slip the paper into a pocket. But it was something he would look over when they were in a less public place, and he would send out the necessary missives based on what Bells had found. The man said nothing else, because there was nothing to say; it would be handled in due course.

He was appropriately affronted at the possibility of Alrim not meeting his family though. “Whaddya mean, “if I say no”? You can’t say no, we’re in Mayene and you have to meet ‘em. Because.” Nate had no actual argument for why he ought to, he just wanted to share a piece of his history he supposed. Besides, the Carridus family was awesome (apart from Reuben, what a jackass), so Bells ought to be happy about it. The man didn’t have any family of his own any more so he was positively an honorary Carridus. “Let’s eat up then set out. Don’t want you throwing up all over the place, not this early in the day. Wait until the brandy comes out.” Nate finished his own breakfast and sat patiently waiting for Bells to work up the fortitude to complete his own eating, bless his little face. In the meantime Nate could simply fill him in on who would be at the gathering.

“There’s gonna be everyone who matters,” Nate said. “Ma and Da, Uncle Terrin, Uncle Damear, Uncle Hussan, Uncle Tup… that’s short for Cattupher… Aunt Jillda, Uncle Ramon, Uncle Sebastian…” the list went on and it soon became apparent to anyone listening (and Nate did not keep his voice down) that his own group of siblings – himself, Tristan and Reuben – was small for a Carridus family, as he had a great many cousins indeed. A lot of them had children of their own, and Nate would have felt old were he not still one of the younger folk compared.

“So Aunt Sera has a shack with some beach attached to it, perfect place for us all to meet and eat and cook lots of meat and drink ale and maybe arm wrestle,” Nate finished up. By the time he’d gone through the people he thought would be there, Bells had finished his eating and looked a little more alive. Thank the Light for that, but Nate would carry him if needs be. “People won’t be there until later so we’ve got the morning to sober you up… and to buy some ale for the gathering of course.” Nate gave a toothy grin and clasped Bells on the back, “it’s gonna get messy! C’mon, let’s get those sea legs of yours moving.” Nate stood and left some coin for their food and drink. “You should have a bit of an idea of where stuff is now, yeah? But as well as getting some ale I wanna take a walk down the docks. Da’s boat should be back and I wanna show you!” It was only a small fishing boat, not a great ship at all, but it was his Da’s. Not like the boats that were loaned out for fishing and tours, this was the first boat, the best boat. Nate had happy memories of being tossed around the sea in it, his Da navigating waters those Tairen morons couldn’t.

The boat itself was a small, world weary lump of wood that had seen better days, but it was sturdy with it. It was simply called "Ma Carridus", after one of Nate's grandmas way back or something, and it had light blue accents that had faded over the years. Nate described the boat in detail to Bells as they left, to see if he would find it first. Fat chance, Nate could see over the crowds better and he knew what he was looking for, but he had to give the fellow a chance.

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » August 16th, 2017, 3:55 pm

"Easy Nate, easy. It was a figure of speech" he said into his newly arrived plate, wondering whether it was worth the effort. He managed a small smile for the man, he cared deeply about things and he meant no offence.

He groaned at the mention of brandy, he was not sure he was cut out for any more drinking, there had been a lot already since their arrival. Still he soldiered onwards and began to eat his food, the warmth and the meat almost instantly making some of his issues vanish. He said nothing as Nate carried on talking, eating silently and wondering just how large the family must be when it was extended out to other branches - and surely such branches existed. He had lost rack of the names after the first handful and he was fairly certain he'd never remember them all even after meeting them.

"A large family then" he noted between the beef and the chicken as he continued his task of filling his stomach.

It wasn't much longer before his plate was empty, a miracle he would have said some minutes before. He did feel better for it though whether he was cut out for sailing was still up for question. Still the almost frustrated enthusiasm, tired of being restrained, battered down what few defences there could possibly have been and so he merely nodded and pushed himself up and out of his chair. He made sure his sword was in place, he wasn't taking any chances, and followed after Nate. He squinted at him at the suggestion of a game of 'find the boat'. The description given did not strike him as particularly unique for boats, besides which he was taller and had an easier time of it.

Still....if he wants to play... he shrugged and went for slyness.

"You're on" he said simply as his mind tried to conjure something up.

"Hey, Brawn, isn't that...no it can't be surely...I think it's Alric, following us again...yeah...over there" he pointed and waited for him to look and then took his chance.

He still felt groggy and certainly not up to running but a fast walk along the harbour to try to find a boat wasn't such a trying thing to undertake. Besides which he could slip through the crowds easier. He still doubted he would find it first, having never seen it, but at least he had a fighting chance now that the game was afoot.
~
~

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Matty » August 17th, 2017, 12:52 pm

Nate did so love a good challenge, though he wasn't all that gracious a loser despite what he might tell people. So when Bells viciously tricked him into looking the other way and took off ahead, well, the game was on and it was mostly lighthearted... "I'll remember that!" he shouted at the smaller man's back before he picked up his own pace.

Next time I should push him in the water first he thought as he stomped on after his friend, though the docks were busy and it was harder for Nate to wriggle through everyone than it was for Alrim. At least it was unless Nate barged on through but he was trying to be a gentleman despite being quite excited to find the family boat. It was good to be back again with the sun beating down, and the salty sea air reminding him of the days he spent here with his brothers. A couple of kids bobbed through the adults, up to no good or passing on messages, either way they reminded Nate of him and Reuben and Tristan, back when the world seemed to extend only from one side of the docks to the other. Now the docks seemed smaller, more quaint, but no less awesome because of it.

By the time Nate managed to actually catch up to Alrim, they were practically there. At the end of one of the bays was a small boat bobbing innocently in the morning sun, and Nate nearly ran over his friend as he came screeching to a halt behind him. "It's a draw!" he announced proudly, clasping Alrim on the arm. "Look, there she is! Ma Carridus! C'mon," he led the way with a skip in his step, down to the boat. Away from the main thoroughfare, it was pretty quiet as the only people heading this way were going to the boats, and they were down at the end. Nate could see the sturdy form of his Da on the boat, inspecting some nets or something. He was a man in the Carridus way, tall and broad, though shorter than when Nate last saw him (at least, because Nate was much taller). Da straightened up and looked their way with a squint, and it was clear Nate got his looks from the man. Light brown hair, still thick despite his years, and keen hazel eyes, with a grimace that soon turned to a full blown grin.

"Nate! Is that you me lad?" he asked.

"Da!" Nate hopped the short plank onto the little boat and grabbed his Da in a bear hug, "how are ya, old man?"

"I was good until I got attacked by a great hairy trolloc," Da chortled when he was put down. "What do they feed you at the Grey Tower?"

"Ah, y'know, food and stuff," Nate said, waving a hand. "Da, I want you to meet my best buddy, Bells. He's a top bloke, practically a brother. Saved my hide a few times. He's from Arafel but that ain't his fault."

"Welcome lad!" Da said, giving a familiar grin to the fellow. "A friend o' Nate's is a friend of mine! Anyone that can put up with his giant lazy arse deserves a strong drink. Welcome to Ma Carridus and to Mayene, the best place to be in the whole land. We don't have much, but what we have is ours. Make yerself at home."

"What's the plan for later?" Nate asked.

"Your Ma's already making preparations. I'm being a good husband and staying well outta the way," Da replied. "So for now the best thing we can do is stay here and drink this here ale, until it's time to go get some food." There were seats on the boat, and plenty of ale to be had as well. Da Carridus didn't go by halves. "Take a seat boys, there's plenty for us all."

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » August 20th, 2017, 2:53 pm

He snorted at the introduction, it was amusing and if he were not required to be polite - and actually standing in Mayene - he might have made a joke at the city's expense. As it was he shook his head and looked at Nate's father. The resemblance was unmistakable and though Nate was taller he still thought his father would best him for pure strength, he was stocky indeed. He extended his arm and clasped the man's arm with a smile.

"He's just that way because he eats twice as much as everyone else. I'd try to stop him but it would seem cruel" he grinned, looking at Nate with a twinkle in his eye, he was going to behave but fair was fair.

The boat turned out not to be as terrible as was feared though he still had a bit of trouble getting used to the swell and its rhythm. His training had given him exceptional balance and footwork though and that made up for much that he was lacking in sea legs. It seemed a decent boat though he didn't know much about such things. He ran his fingers along some of the woodwork, it was smooth which spoke of years of service and use. Not a splinter in sight and well cared for too by the shine. He took one of the ales and took a swig as he found a seat and leaned back into it.

"Thank you"

"Ah it's fine lad. So what have they got my boy doing up there in that Grey Tower place of yours?" the question was asked in a friendly tone but there was a solidness at its core, suggestive that if he did not like it he'd sort it out.

"Many things. Protecting people and places. Trolloc armies to fight. The list is endless, I think. No rest for the wicked and so on"

"You don't say?"

He shrugged in response, what could he say? Their lives were not going to be simple and boring, they were weapons essentially. There were limited uses for their talents and so they were used for interesting things. Even if they didn't like it at times.

"Mostly I keep this one from falling over and try to drink him under the table. Never manage the second" he drank some more as Nate's father's booming laughter echoed around them.

It was then that a trio of other figures boarded the boat and all but ran into Nate to give him what must have been bone breaking hugs. He merely watched with a grin until they were introduced, he had no idea what was going on anymore.
~
~

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Matty » August 20th, 2017, 7:00 pm

When his Da asked what the Grey Tower made him do, Bell's answer was far more diplomatic than his own. Since becoming an Asha'man the Blue had been somewhat more obstinate, not wanting to be tied down in the way that most newly raised folk didn't want to be. He wanted to be out there helping people, not being bossed around in some politically-charge environment where he had to sign forms in triplicate to do what he had been training for. The Mayener just grinned at his friend, "the trick to it is to have plenty of food at the same time!" he declared. It wasn't that Nate was a particularly heavy drinker, but he could stomach a lot of it he supposed.

"That's the Carridus way!" His Da all but shouted, looking pleased as punch.

There was a holler from the docks and soon three more figures joined them on the boat, all but crashing into Nate in a giant hug. His cousins were all hardy men as well with a similar look to Nate and his Da, though they were more Alrim's size. There was a brief scuffle as one of them tried to get Nate into a headlock, and ended up jumping up on his back. Nate ended up throwing him backwards over the side of the boat, and knocking the other two off their feet. By the time the wet guy had pulled himself back on deck Nate had some ale for him, and he helped him up with a strong hand.

"Ain't you lads supposed to be helping with preparations?" Da asked the three of them, now standing there with identical grins.

"We are, by staying out the way!" one of them said. "And we heard Nate was here too so we had to come say hi!"

"It's good to see you all!" Nate said to them. "But before you get too drunk - this is my best buddy Bells! Bells, these are my cousins. Rick, Sanchez, Tyrone." He pointed to the three of them in turn, and they were enthusiastic in their greetings. "Bells is like another Carridus so just treat him like one!" he said.

"If he's one of us then he ought to get a welcome hug from all of us, right?" Rick asked the others, who nodded sagely. Almost as a unit they turned and practically dogpiled onto Alrim in a flail of limbs and open shirts, as Nate stood back with his thick arms folded and laughed until his sides hurt. Even their Da was amused, until he eventually intercepted.

"Alright then lads give our guest some space, he don't need to be smooshed against your sweaty bodies without a heck of a lot more to drink." They settled down on the seats then, and happily drank at their own ales. They all looked quite relaxed, and Nate couldn't blame them. It was a good day to be a Carridus.

"We're just preparing him for the reunion," Tyrone said stoutly. "And there's some mighty fine Carridus ladies there as well! I mean, we're related so they're all yours my friend. Unless you and Nate are a thing?" Tyrone looked at Nate, "are you and Bells a thing? Is that why you brought him here?"

"I did wonder..." his Da muttered with a thoughtful stroke of an invisible beard. "Your uncle Draven preferred men. It's not like we care - more women out there for us, eh?"

Nate tried very hard not to facepalm and it almost worked.

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » August 21st, 2017, 4:35 pm

He was quickly thankful that he had already finished his first drink by the time three other figures all but assaulted Nate with cheerfulness and the rough style play of close family members. He had never really experienced it having only sisters but he knew men who had and the old group of rogues he had spent much of his upbringing with had filled in the role for him well enough. Still he was not expecting to get the same treatment and though he made a good show of evading the first couple of forays he was quickly overwhelmed and piled upon. Mostly he was just glad he didn't throw up on them.

At least I'm starting to feel better he told himself as he tried to extricate himself from the tangle of limbs, shirts and sweat.

He pulled his clothes back in order when they let him be to find their own seats and knew that as soon as the Gaidin back at the Grey Tower found out that he had been bested by three unarmed Mayeners that he would be taunted mercilessly until the story faded into another one. They would too, Nate loved telling stories in that booming voice of his. He sat back down and raked his fingers through his hair to a jingle. He was not expecting the next series of questions, however and he looked at Nate rubbing his face before answering.

"Me and Brawn here?" he said in an amused tone, watching them jest with Nate, "he is as close to a brother as I ever had. Even if he gets me in trouble more often than not. I think that matters more than other things. As for the Carridus women, it sounds like they make their own minds up"

"If they can chase such giants away without much effort then they are surely formidable"

He leaned back into his chair and looked around for a few moments.

"Are you all fishermen then?" he asked, curious and wanting to know more about this family of Brawn's.
~
~

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Matty » August 26th, 2017, 12:28 pm

Once everyone was more settled Nate sat down as well with his drink, watching the interactions with amusement. It was true, Bells and Brawn were brothers, not... anything else. Not that Bells was bad looking or whatever, but Nate had never thought of him in that way even though they'd seen each other in various states of undress.

"Fisherman? Nah, not all of us," Tyrone said. "I'm an apprentice at the smithy. Still like to go out on the boats though from time to time. You can normally tell who the fishermen are, they stink of salt and fish."

Rick gave Tyrone a punch on the arm, and there was more scuffling until they settled down again. Between them, they managed to convey that no, they weren't all fishermen, but many of them were. Most of the Carridus men were fairly competent, sturdy folk in low paid manual labour jobs, physical work best suited to them. There was no such thing as a rich Carridus, but they were healthy and hearty and happy, and that was the main thing. It did occur to Nate in that moment that really, he was one of the success stories of the family, something he ought to be proud of really. Even if none of his family really got what "that whole channelling thingy" was, they were happy for Nate. He was fortunate but honestly, he just wanted the same for Bells.

"So Brawn, you moving back to Mayene any time soon?" It hadn't taken them long to pick up on Bell's name for him, which they used with no small amount of amusement.

"Uhhh, no." Nate gave a grin, "I can visit easy enough, but I have a lot of stuff going on at the Grey Tower too. You can come visit sometime! See what I get up to, watch Bells smack some trainees around in the yards, that kinda thing."

"Why Brawn? And Bells? Where'd you get those pet names from?" His Da asked. This of course led to the story of their first paired fight together with The Tank, a story Brawn told with no small amount of relish in his usual loud voice. When he reached the part where Bells stood in front of him and took the hit, well, all the men on the boat made loud noises of disbelief and shock.

"No way!" Rick said. "That didn't happen!.... did it?"

"Sure it did!" Nate said, "and Bells has the scar to prove it! You should know, scars are great for picking up the ladies. You should try it sometime."

"It's true," Da said sagely. "When I was a nipper I got a scar on my shoulder. Your Ma asked me how I got it - that's how we first started talking. She just needed an excuse to approach the handsome fisherman she had her eye on!" The man sighed wistfully, "she strode on over to me when I was working and said 'what stupid prank did you mess up to get that ugly thing?' and that's how I knew she was the one."

"That is so romantic," Sanchez said, and his brothers nodded in agreement. He looked to Bells, "so where's this scar?"

"Off with his shirt!" Tyrone shouted. When everyone looked at him he shrugged and said "whaaat? He's not with Nate."

Of course, when Alrim went and showed them the scar he'd earned saving Nate from a nasty end, there was a moment of the Carridus folk oohing and aahing, before eventually Da went to smack him on the shoulder. "Sounds to me like you'd make a good Carridus! I'm glad my son's got someone with sense to watch his big ass and keep him from getting himself killed. C'mon," he said this to everyone on the boat, "Probably time to show our faces, eh? And you boys have drank most of me stock!"

"Pipe down Da, there's plenty more under that blanket over there and we both know it." Nate's cousins and Da got off the boat first and set off down the pier, jostling one another until Sanchez ended up falling into the water. Nate hung back a little as Alrim dressed himself, looking down at him patiently. "You alright Bells?" he asked, in a voice that was actually quiet for him. "I love 'em all but I know it's a bit rowdy. And it's gonna get more so with everyone there." He nodded in the direction of his family, "it's a short walk that way, gives us some time to calm down a bit and swing by the brewery for some drink to take with us. I'll buy..." It was an excellent plan, if Nate said so himself.

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik