Her Mother's Daughter

The World outside the Grey Tower is a vast place.
Craig
Librarian
PC: Ravak t'Sha'hal Darrow
SC: Elia Darrow
TC: Zarayne
QC: Farah Kattan

Her Mother's Daughter

Post by Craig » August 3rd, 2017, 1:05 am

Zarayne
Nothing but the blackest night lingered outside the walls of Hama Valon. This evening marked the new moon, although it was concealed by clouds. The night would not be as cold as it should have been, but it still wasn't the weather for travelling.

A candle lit up in Zarayne's chambers. She was overtired, eyes stinging and bloodshot from being awake for too long. Tomorrow she had early classes to teach. Unless she went straight to sleep, she would not be capable of channelling in the morning. Instead, the lanky legs of the Aielwoman stretched out over the side of her bed. Zarayne pushed herself to her feet with one arm. The other was busy concealing a yawn. She knew this day was coming, but knowing didn't provide her with extra energy.

Everything was packed, not that everything meant much. Two fresh dresses identical to the one she wore, fresh underwear, a towel, a cloak, and her coin purse. No weapons sadly, and no opportunity nor time to acquire any. The bundle was all contained within a bedsheet which she wrapped and tied around herself. An inelegant solution, but it worked on the practical level.

Zarayne pushed open the door to her room. Her quarters were situated in the Yellow Ajah. There was always someone awake within the halls, because there was always something that could be done to ease suffering. Fortunately those wary few only had one thought in mind, and they wouldn't be detained from bed by an extra minute just to question an Accepted.

She bumped into no-one on the way to the Channelling Yards. Most of that was luck, although she had hidden behind a bench for a couple of minutes as two Gaidin exchanged words. Zarayne needed to listen for their footsteps to depart, as her eyes couldn't pick out the fancloak-clad warriors in the dark.

The Channelling Yards were pitch black. Zarayne couldn't see the far walls initially, but when saidar began to thrum within her that changed. With the One Power, she could pick out the differences in the black night. She took a final look back at the Grey Tower, mirroring the black sky above. Regret and shame began anew. Those feelings didn't fade when she dragged her gaze away.

A bar of silver light appeared a few feet in front of her. As it rotated open to form a square hole in reality, dawn's light shone through. A moment later, a wet heat pressed against her skin. Zarayne didn't even hesitate before stepping through and letting the Gateway snap shut behind her.
Image Image Image Image
Craig's Tracker ❖ Librarian
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Craig
Librarian
PC: Ravak t'Sha'hal Darrow
SC: Elia Darrow
TC: Zarayne
QC: Farah Kattan

Re: Her Mother's Daughter

Post by Craig » August 3rd, 2017, 1:06 am

Zarayne
Cairhien hadn't seen a summer this wet for decades. The heavens were unremitting in their assault against the people of the Rising Sun. For two days and three nights, rain in some form battered down across the land.

Zarayne had not anticipated such an eventuality. This close to the Dragon Wall, there had not ought to be rain. This close to the land of her ancestors, the weather should have been balmy. Instead the Aielwoman shivered, and for good reason. She lay in amongst some scraggly bushes far from the roads or villages. The ground was uneven grassland, most of which was transforming into uneven mud. One dress was acting as bedding and absorption against some of the sodden ground. Her cloak was a blanket, whilst the blanket holding the rest of her worldly possessions was her pillow. Even for an Aiel, this was slumming it.

Zarayne lay still despite the raindrops splashing against her face. There was nothing to be done about it beyond enduring it. Water welled within her left ear, garbling the sounds of the rainfall. It irritated her, but she couldn't sleep on her front or back. Endurance: that was the only thing for it.

At some point Zarayne had got sleep. She knew this because her left arm now hurt after having lain on it for some number of hours. Pain was just another necessary burden as she gathered her things together. There was no point in changing clothing at this stage. Everything she owned was wet, with the only differences being how muddy things were.

It took her only a few minutes to have everything packed up within the blanket again. The muddy dress was tucked in like a makeshift cloak. It was nothing more than ruined cloth, but she couldn't part with it. She only had these two dresses now, and the one she wore had to survive to the Three-fold Land.

Zarayne slogged eastwards across the muddy plains. She'd long abandoned her slippers, instead moving barefoot. The cold sludge no longer irked her as it once had. Under these conditions, her bar for what she could tolerate was sinking lower and lower. What she would pay for one of those unappetising Mess Hall meals now wasn't worth considering. Her stomach rumbled at the thought.

Morning gave away into the afternoon. Heat beat down from somewhere behind the clouds. The rain had grown lighter, down to a fine drizzle. Between that and the warmth, the day was looking up. Zarayne's feet ate up mile after mile as she basked in the luxurious weather.

Afternoon became dusk. A few miles ago, the former Accepted had veered from her previous course. A village beckoned in the distance, and she couldn't brave another evening sleeping in puddles. It wasn't dignity talking – that had long since vanished – but a darkness that swelled in her occasionally. Mornings were the worst when the darkness came. At least if I refuse to get up in the morning, I won't be wallowing in the mud for hours.

Dusk became night. The rain grew heavier. There was no problem entering the village – it wasn't so grand as to have a palisade – but no-one tried to approach her. She wandered around clueless, looking for somewhere that may have a bed. Or a stable. Or a hayloft.

Parting with a substantial proportion of her remaining coin, Zarayne negotiated space in a hayloft of an inn via the medium of the stablehand. She was too tired to haggle or argue. Honestly, she was too tired to even recognise if she'd been scammed or not. Clearly she looked the worse for wear, for no-one ever questioned her for being an Aiel. That would have been a fine ending to her story; run through by a village guardsman on the account of being Aiel.

In the shelter of the hayloft, Zarayne finally had a chance to dry off and clean up. The former was done by liberal use of the One Power. Most women would have drained the water from her belongings, but Water was her weakness when it came to channelling. Instead she utilised heat and fire, warming the fabric until the wetness faded. With Earth she chiselled away the caked-in mud, where it was still possible to liberate the fabric. Some stains were permanent, but again, they only had to do until she got to the Three-fold Land.

Proper tiredness began to force itself upon her. Zarayne stopped her attempts to dry things as she got ready for bed. The cloak went over a padded bedding of straw and she lay upon the cloak. It took a number of twists and turns and kicks before she got into a position that didn't result in bits of straw stabbing into her.

Her attempts at sleep did not last long, however.
Image Image Image Image
Craig's Tracker ❖ Librarian
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Roan
Non-Channeller Representative
PC: Riahana
SC: Tia Tomosan, Aes Sedai
TC: Paks Liard, Ji'Val

Post by Roan » August 6th, 2017, 5:27 pm

Tia Sedai
Tia Sedai was no longer ‘new’ to the role of Mistress of Novices, and had gotten used to dealing with juggling schedules and introducing newcomers to what it meant to be a Novice. What she hadn’t gotten used to was disciplining those who broke the rules. Some were sent to her for what seemed very minor infractions. Had she been the teacher, she likely would have opted for a learning experience other than punitive punishment.

Vanya Sedai spoke to her once and told her she was too lenient, but Tia could only be herself. She wasn't so lenient that she’d allow someone to take advantage of her kindness, and from time to time, did have to dole out harsher punishments. She never took pleasure in those moments.

The Mistress of Novices was seeing to paperwork when Vanya Sedai knocked and then saw herself in without being called. Tia arched a brow as she looked up from her paperwork, “Can I help you, Vanya Sedai?”

“You could tell me where Accepted Zarayne is. . .seems she didn’t show up to teach her class this morning. I’ve checked her quarters, and her bed hadn’t been slept in last night. I do not think she is on the Tower grounds. Well and so. . .where is she?”

Tia set her quill into its holder and set aside the note she’d been writing. “You know as well as I do that I do not know where she is. I suspect you may have an idea, so why don’t you just tell me instead of preening and holding yourself superior to me,” Tia replied curtly, and for her, in a rare moment of frustration. The Amyrlin Seat herself placed Tia in the role of Mistress of Novices, forcing Vanya to step aside. Adult she might be, but Vanya seemed petty and spiteful about the change.

The former Mistress of Novices smirked, “Well, as it happens, another Accepted told me she saw Zarayne in the Channeling Yards late last night. She disappeared through a gateway.”

Tia frowned, “You could have and should have started with that instead of playing your games, Vanya. That will be all.” Tia waited for the other Aes Sedai to leave before pushing herself from her seat. Zarayne had left the Tower grounds, which she was allowed to do as an Accepted. Had she run away, or had she just decided she needed a break? Either way, she did so without taking her responsibilities into consideration.

Beyond that, though, Tia found herself concerned as she recalled a conversation she’d had with Zarayne as she, Tia and Lys were on a mission near the Blight Border. With a heavy sigh, Tia left her office and made her way to the Warder Yards. If Zarayne was running away, Tia intended to go after her. She wouldn’t force the young woman back, but she at least needed to find out the Accepted’s intentions.

Tia was smart enough not to go after the Accepted alone, and went on a hunt for Lysira. She wasn’t surprised to find the Bowmaster on the Archery Range, and was glad to find the Gaidin by herself.

“Lysira. . .do you have a moment?”
Spoiler: show
Let me know if this works, Craig. And Bella? Feel free to 'summarize' Tia telling her of her plan to go after Zarayne and asking Lys to go with her.

Bella
Female Channeller Representative
PC: Miahala Darrow Sedai
SC: Lysira Viathene Gaidin
TC: Gareth Tomosan Asha'man
QC: Natlya Cade Gaidin
QC: Andraste Alhandra Sedai

Post by Bella » August 8th, 2017, 3:37 am

If anyone was under the impression that the heron marks upon her bow meant Lysira no longer needed to practice her craft, they would have been sorely mistaken. The diminutive Gaidin spent a great amount of time on the archery range, running the course, and training new students in the craft of it on the training range; white coats splattered in bright colors.

Thus, this was where Tia Sedai found her that morning.

Lysira had just fired an arrow when she heard her near-sister's voice and turned. She would have smiled, but the somber look on the Green's face let her know that something was afoot. Her greeting and answer were quick then, and she listened to the explanation that Zarayne had apparently Traveled away from the Tower, and the newest Mistress of Novices meant to follow her.

At the news, the Gaidin was...unsurprised. She had spoken enough with the girl to know of her uncertainties about her place there, so taking off seemed to make sense. Was she planning on coming back or not was the question.

'I would be glad to assist,' Lysira signed after setting her bow down and leaning it against her leg. 'I am ready to depart when you are.'

Roan

Post by Roan » August 9th, 2017, 7:59 pm

Tia Sedai
Tia offered Lysira a warm smile, “Thank you, friend. I know better than to go it alone, and given your kinship with Zarayne, I couldn’t think of anyone else better suited to join me. I am not wholly certain where she went, but I’m hoping someone who can read residues might help us find where Zarayne’s gateway led.” The Green sister realized Lysira didn’t need all of the details, but she was more thinking aloud than anything.

A series of things ran through Tia’s mind as she started to think about what they should do before they departed. It would be easy to just open a gateway and go, but it wouldn’t be wise. Her brows were furrowed as she thought through the list that was developing in her mind, “We should get some provisions, and our horses. I don’t know if she’s got a mount or not, but either way, I think it a good idea for us to have ours.”

The Aes Sedai chewed at her lip for a moment before looking to Lysira, “Can you see to our mounts and I’ll see to provisions and someone who might help us locate where her gateway led?”
I don’t think we need to write out the scenes of them actually getting things ready...perhaps a time jump to the Channeling Yards? We won’t pop out RIGHT on her trail, I think...and perhaps should sort out how much time has passed. I think Craig said it could be as little as a few days or a few weeks. He left it ambiguous. AND this is getting long. . .

Bella

Post by Bella » August 10th, 2017, 3:39 am

Lysira listened patiently while Tia thought aloud. All reasonable thoughts, and a sound plan. The diminutive Gaidin waited until she reached the end of that line, and then she nodded. There wasn't anything that Lys could do about the Gateway or reading residues, although she could arrange for their horses.

The two women went their own ways and took care of their arrangements.

In due course, Lysira had all of her weapons strapped onto either her or her horse. She didn't know what they might encounter while they were looking for the girl, and she meant to be prepared. With the reins of her horse in one hand and the reins of Tia's in the other hand, she walked into the Traveling Yard to find the Green Sister.

With both hands full, she just walked up to Tia and nodded, the look in her eyes asking if they were ready to go.

Roan

Post by Roan » August 16th, 2017, 6:35 pm

Tia Sedai
“The kingdom of Cairhein. Somewhere outside the capital city. . .I can’t get more specific than that, Tia Sedai. I’m sorry,” the Blue Sister said.

Tia offered a warm smile, “It is more than we knew a few minutes ago.” She looked over the Blue’s shoulder to see Lysira approach. “If you can open a gateway near the city, it will give us a place to start,” Tia suggested as she moved to take Storm from Lysira, and nodding her thanks to the Gaidin.

The Blue Sister moved off and started to channel, causing a chill to run down Tia’s arms. Suppressing the desire to shiver, Tia moved to mount Storm, and looked to Lysira with a warm smile, “After you, Lys.” In the past, Tia tended to be much more formal, something she’d been teased about in a light hearted way, thus she was trying to be a bit more casual.

Watching as Lysira and her horse rode through the Gateway, Tia waited for a count of five before following. All was quiet on the other side, and she found Lys scanning their surroundings. She looked around too in an effort to get her bearings. She looked back in time to see the gateway spiral shut, and saw they were on a deserted road.

Off on the horizon, she could see the city of Cairhein rising up as a prominent landmark. Tia looked to Lysira, “My eyes and ears aren’t nearly as extensive as Memma’s, but I do know one or two people here. It is a long shot, but they might be able to help. It’s a place to start if nothing else.” Knowing how big the kingdom of Cairhein was, she suddenly doubted whether she’d be successful in finding Zarayne. She had to at least try.
I am so sorry it took me so long to get a reply for this thread!

Bella

Post by Bella » August 18th, 2017, 9:30 pm

Lysira rode through the Gateway ahead of Tia and made an immediate sweep of their immediate surroundings. There was no threat that she could hear or see, and she moved to the side for the Aes Sedai to ride out behind her. As they fell in beside one another, Tia mentioned her contacts, then Lysira supplied her own.

'My sister, the Lady Kassyna, makes her primary home in the capital here,' Lys offered. 'She may be able to aid us as well, if she is at home now. Even if not, the household was once mine. They will aid me.'

Roan

Post by Roan » August 19th, 2017, 5:16 pm

Tia Sedai
Tia watched and ‘listened’ as Lys explained about her sister and her former household. “Perhaps it would be wise to call on your sister. It could give us a base of operations, so to speak, while I reach out to those I know.” She looked ahead as she considered the task ahead. It would be very much like finding a needle in a haystack.

If they happened to be in the general area of Zarayne, and she channeled, Tia would pick up on it, but what were the chances the girl was in the city?

A thought occurred to the Mistress of Novices, and she shook her head, “Blood and bloody ashes. . . If I had been smart, I might have gone to find her father. It’s not like he’s not the Master of Arms or anything, and he may have given me some indication of where she might go. That was a massive oversight on my part.” She frowned and shook her head once more, “Too late now.”

Tia looked back to Lys, “I know she’d been acting as your translator for some time. Did you two ever get to talking about her and her life? Did she ever talk about traveling from the Tower?”

Bella

Post by Bella » August 20th, 2017, 7:19 pm

As they rode into the city, Lys found she hoped that her sister was at home--not just because it would make things easier, but she would enjoy seeing her little sister. It had been a while since Lysira had been home, which was an oversight on her part, but after returning to the Tower, and the troubles, and Jerid... Well.

The diminutive Gaidin listened to Tia, and then replied, 'We spoke enough for me to surmise that were she planning to leave the Tower, she probably wouldn't have told her father,' she began, then she was 'still' (silent, for her) for a few thoughtful moments. 'Or to me, to be honest. I think she likes me well enough, but I do represent...the establishment, of a sort.

'I am somehow not surprised by her departure and fear it's likely not meant as a side trip. Why to Cairhein, though, I cannot surmise.
'

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik