Her Mother's Daughter

The World outside the Grey Tower is a vast place.
Roan
Non-Channeller Representative
PC: Riahana
SC: Tia Tomosan, Aes Sedai
TC: Paks Liard, Ji'Val

Re: Her Mother's Daughter

Post by Roan » October 7th, 2017, 1:15 am

Tia Sedai
Light. She’s been arrested? Tia thought to herself. Of course, there was a chance it could have been another red headed girl who got arrested and Tia felt someone else channeling, but it was too much of a coincidence. She absent mindedly played with her braid while her mind raced a mile a minute.

Before she said anything, their meals arrived. Tia thanked the serving girl, and then looked to Lysira to sign, I suspect we’ve found her. I don’t know how we’ll get her out of jail. I’d rather not have to break her out and anger the townsfolk. I wonder if we can reason with them? She held off starting to eat to see Lys’s reply, but she did take a pull from the mug of ale.

This wasn’t something they told me I’d need to worry about when I became Mistress of Novices. I mean I knew girls ran away, but getting arrested wasn’t in the notes she added with a wry smile.

Bella
Female Channeller Representative
PC: Miahala Darrow Sedai
SC: Lysira Viathene Gaidin
TC: Gareth Tomosan Asha'man
QC: Natlya Cade Gaidin
QC: Andraste Alhandra Sedai

Post by Bella » October 9th, 2017, 3:43 pm

Suddenly, Lysira didn't really feel like eating. However, her training as a Gaidin had prompted her to maintain the soldier's mentality--eat when there was food in front of you--so she did. She contemplated what they could, and should, do as she ate; they certainly weren't going to leave Zarayne in prison, if it was her, but they should tread delicately.

At first, at least.

'We are not unknown to this area, or without some respect,' she signed thoughtfully. 'A small town like this may not feel the same as the cities, but it may. If it does, making a case that she is 'ours' and thus ours to administer punishment may convince them to let her free so we can return her to the Tower...'

Craig
Librarian
PC: Ravak t'Sha'hal Darrow
SC: Elia Darrow
TC: Zarayne
QC: Farah Kattan

Post by Craig » October 9th, 2017, 11:43 pm

Zarayne
The back of Zarayne's head pressed against the prison wall as a distraction to her surroundings. It was one thing to be cooped up, but it was another thing to be stuck in the cell with nothing to do.

She had felt around her location using the One Power. Zarayne was confident that, if push came to shove, she could use saidar to break her way out of the prison. However, her knowledge of stone architecture was limited, so she wasn't sure if the rest of the building would hold when she tore a chunk out of the side. It wasn't like a tent, where all of the poles and ropes were clearly visible, and where canvas could be replaced.

Opening up to saidar was like a rush of ecstasy. She did it just for the change to the monotony. Her ears could pick up on the indistinct voices of people elsewhere in the building. Ashes still clung to the air, although only detectable because she thought to sniff them out. Pain was enhanced from where the flames had licked her skin. She'd given each of those wounds or bashes a look over, and nothing seemed to be broken. She would be able to flee after she escaped.

The question was did she wait until something happened, or did she confirm herself as a criminal and hope that this building could withstand her breakout attempt?
Image Image Image Image
Craig's Tracker ❖ Librarian
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Roan

Post by Roan » October 14th, 2017, 6:17 pm

Tia Sedai
Tia inclined her head slightly as she considered what Lysira was proposing, then signed You make a good point. I suspect if we pay. . .restitution, too, it would go a long way in appeasing them. A man lost his barn, after all, and that is no small thing. Whether she was responsible or not, it could work in our favor.

The Green Sister turned her attention to her meal, and did her best not to rush through, but nor did she take as much time as she might otherwise. Once she’d eaten as much as she could, she pushed her plate out of the way. Lysira seemed to finish at about the same time, and the server came forward to remove their plates. Tia took the opportunity to settle their bill and looked to her friend, Let’s see if we can retrieve our wayward Accepted, shall we?”

The two women exited the inn and made their way to the town ‘jail.’ On entering, a man looked up from a desk opposite the door, “Afternoon, ladies. How can I be of service?”

He seemed well spoken, and friendly, which Tia hoped might be a good sign. She offered him a warm smile, “Good afternoon. . .I am Tia Sedai from the Grey Tower, and this is Lysira Gaidin.” It was hard to miss how wide the man’s eyes became on hearing he’d had an Aes Sedai in his presence. It was something Tia knew she could use to her advantage at times, but wasn’t a card she often played.

“How. . how can I help, Aes Sedai?” the man who seemed so confident a moment before stammered.

Part of Tia hated that he seemed almost fearful, but she pushed the emotion aside for the moment, “We heard you have a young, red headed woman in your custody. Is this correct?”

He looked over his shoulder to a door that led to the back, “It. . .it is, yes. She and her thief partner set it ablaze.”

Tia arched a brow and looked to Lys for a moment, “I don’t doubt you found them together, but I would be surprised if the thief was actually her partner. The young woman is an Accepted at the Tower, and we’ve been trying to find her.”

The man looked almost crestfallen, “Oh. . .uhm, but the owner of the barn made it clear he sought justice. It will cost him a fortune to rebuild the barn.”

Casting another glance at Lys, Tia reached into a leather pouch at her hip and pulled out a bag that was about the size of her fist, “We can compensate the man for his barn if you would be willing to release her into our custody. We will take her back to the Tower, which is where she belongs, and we will also make sure she is adequately. . .punished.” The Green sister tried not to frown, but it was the part of her job as Mistress of Novices she liked the least, especially when it came to punishing those young women she saw had great promise.

“I would need to check with Valin. . .the owner of the barn,” the man claimed.

The door behind Tia opened and another man stepped in, “Need to check with me about what, Gav?” He stepped alongside Tia and cast her a glance before looking to the jailer.

“Uh...these women are from the Grey Tower, and they say the red-head is one of theirs. They want to take her back to their Tower. . .”

“What? She burned my barn with that thief!”

Tia turned to face the man, and offered her best charming smile, “I know damage was done to your barn, and for that and the part of our Accepted played in that, you have our apologies. I can’t undo what has been done, but I can offer compensation in return for her to be released into our custody. She will not go unpunished, I assure you, though she will serve her sentence in service to the Tower rather than here.”

“What sort of compensation?”

Holding up the not-small bag of coin, Tia replied, “Monetary.”

“What kind of coin, Aes Sedai. It could all be copper, in which case, it is of no use to me,” the man named Valin replied.

Tia opened the pouch and poured out a mix of gold and silver coins on the desk, “Will that suffice?”

The wide eyes were followed by a rapid nod, “Y. . yes, Aes Sedai.” He looked up, “What are you waitin for, Gav. . .go get her out of that danged cell!”

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » October 15th, 2017, 12:32 am

Zarayne
Zarayne rose onto her feet when the keys rattled in the door's lock. She held her manacled hands up in front of her, balling them up as she'd seen some of the Drin and Ji'val do. Fists wouldn't protect her for long, but using the One Power to fight her way free was not the solution. Not yet at any rate. She battled for calm as different lengths of metal were tried in the lock. She battled just as hard against embracing saidar and blasting out the wall in an attempt to escape.

Finally the lock clicked open. Everything fled from Zarayne's mind besides a determination not to act. Whatever came immediately hereafter, she had to let it happen. Putting up a struggle will only make you seem like more of a danger to these people. Someone pressed down on the handle, and the door was pulled open.

"Out," the guard instructed. Zarayne moved immediately after the instruction was given, lowering both hands down to her waist, watching the ground just in front of her. The guard didn't grab her arm like they had before. Instead he directed her towards the front of the building. Meekly she followed the commands of her captor. She was still looking at the ground when a set of boots came into view. Curiosity drew her gaze up, allowing her to add in the second pair of boots, smaller and more travelled in, alongside the first pair. Even before she reached their waists, Zarayne realised precisely who had come to free her from that prison cell.

She didn't know who to look at, so her jade-coloured eyes flashed between them both in a panic. Her lips moved as if to talk, but her mouth was parched, and regardless, she had no clue what to say.

But her hands did. She signed a deferential 'hello' in the hand talk of the Far Dareis Mai. It was an acknowledgement of the two women stood before her, as well as an admission of how far below them she was in maturity.
Image Image Image Image
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Roan

Post by Roan » October 21st, 2017, 7:45 pm

Tia Sedai
Tia did her best not to look or act impatient while she waited for the one named Gav to go get who she hoped was Zarayne. There was always a chance it could be some other red head who could channel, but it was too much of a coincidence in the Green Sister’s book. She cast a glance to Lysira, letting her concern show through to the Gaidin. She had no idea what she’d say to the Accepted, and suddenly felt completely inadequate as Mistress of Novices.

The sound of footsteps pulled her out of her own moment of self-doubt, and she looked to the door that led back to the cells. Gav stepped through, followed by Zarayne. The Accepted looked a bit dishevelled, and had shackles on her wrists. The look she gave suggested. . .what? Apprehension? Panic?

Tia read the woman’s sign and offered her a look of concern, “Zarayne.” She looked to the man named Gav, “Can you please remove her shackles? I don’t think they are necessary.” She looked back to her charge and let go a slow deep breath. “I am sure that Lysira and I are the last people you hoped to see, Zarayne.

“It is time to go home. We can discuss the reasons for your journey on the way,” Tia suggested.
“You said she wouldn’t go unpunished,” Valin pushed.

The Green Sister turned her gaze to the man, tilting her head somewhat, “And she won’t, but it is no business. You’ve been compensated and agreed to our conditions. You are not going back on your word, are you?”

“N. . .no, Aes Sedai,” the man stammered as he seemed to shrink away from Tia.

Tia then looked to the man named Gav, “If there is nothing else, I would like to take our leave.”

“Of course, Aes Sedai,” Gave answered.

Tia didn’t hesitate as she turned on her heel and exited the small office. Once outside, she looked to Zarayne and Lysira, “I think it is time to return home.”
Spoiler: show
Sorry for the delay. Life kind of slapped me silly for a bit.

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » October 24th, 2017, 9:23 am

Zarayne
She couldn't, or wouldn't, meet Tia's gaze. She certainly could not meet Lysira's. Even though her destiny was in the Green sister's hands, it was the Gaidin's judgement she feared for more. Lysira's friendship meant a world more to Zarayne than most things.

Now that friendship was on tenterhooks.

She'd heard the Mistress of Novices mention that there would be no punishment. That seemed unlikely even if Tia Sedai didn't seem the type to lie. Punishment had to be forthcoming in one shape or another, Zarayne knew that. The Grey Tower didn't just allow their learning ranks run away without recompense. She tried to imagine the possibilities. Could they make her a novice again? Zarayne wasn't sure she could face going through the Test of Acceptance once more. The Farm seemed par for the course, but--

"I think it is time to return home."

Zarayne flinched as if physically struck. Home. She'd never thought of Hama Valon as home. The Three-fold Land was home; her mother's house was home. The Grey Tower was not. It was where she had been sent to be for reasons she didn't really understand, to be amongst wetlanders including those she was meant to think of as family. That's not home.

No matter how fervent her inner monologue sounded, the Accepted just nodded in agreement to Tia's statement. It wasn't as if she had a choice in the matter.
Image Image Image Image

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik