Mama Bear [Attn: Alrim Farshera Gaidin]

The World outside the Grey Tower is a vast place.
Bella
Female Channeller Representative
PC: Miahala Darrow Sedai
SC: Lysira Viathene Gaidin
TC: Gareth Tomosan Asha'man
QC: Natlya Cade Gaidin
QC: Andraste Alhandra Sedai

Re: Mama Bear [Attn: Alrim Farshera Gaidin]

Post by Bella » September 14th, 2017, 1:53 am

Haeden let the words settle between them while he poked the fire a few more times. It would help keep Alrim warm while he kept the watch and maybe it would last until Haeden took his turn. Time would tell, as with all things. He smiled slightly and set aside the stick, getting to his feet. "Wake me when it's my turn, so you can get some rest too. We'll need it for tomorrow. Good night, Alrim."

With that, he went to his tent.
* * * It took Sadira a long time to get to sleep.

In the interim, she lay under the thick blanket top of her bed-roll and stared at the canvas top of her tent. Outside, she could hear the dim murmur of the men talking although she couldn't make out what they were saying. She wasn't sure why she was so interested in knowing, but she was. She wasn't usually a nosy person.

She heard Haeden go to his tent, and knew Alrim would be out there on watch. Given that she was still awake, she considered going back out, but decided against it.

So instead, she turned onto her side and closed her eyes. And waited, and waited, until sleep came. And when it did, she dreamed of Scerai, but it wasn't quite as sad as it usually was. In the morning, she would wonder why that was.
Spoiler: show
OOC: Feel free to roll them into the morning!

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"
PC: Alrim Farshera Gaidin

Post by Andy » September 14th, 2017, 3:46 pm

The watch was a longer one than usual, not because the time span was lager but because he had much to think upon. It proved hard given that he still had a job to do. It was cold though the stoked fire helped a little. Still he liked to stay out of the light, it made him too much of a target and he was too cautious in the wilds. So he sat, hand upon the hilt of his weapon, and thought about the future. It seemed slightly less dark than before. That was a hard thing to achieve given the times they lived in. Soon enough the time came to end it. He left it slightly longer than he should have so that Haeden got a bit more rest.

When he lay down in the tent it took a while to fall asleep as he had suspected. He shifted and turned a few times, eventually giving up on getting comfortable. Sleep came eventually and it was a deep, peaceful one for once. No dreams that he could remember upon waking. He liked those evenings best these days, it meant he was rested when the sun rose. He watched the sunrise with a smile in between checking upon their mounts, making them ready to ride and casually erasing portions of their presence. Haeden seemed to have done some of it on his watch but Alrim took down and packed away their tents in assistance. It was all over quickly, breakfast eaten, and they were ready to travel.

"Another bright morning, may it bring luck" he said as he rolled his shoulders upon his mount.

He had a feeling it would be a day of focus, of pursuit and probably of perseverance. Hunting shadowy characters was often hard work and given what he had been told it was not going to get any easier from here on out. He didn't know Saldea enough to know where its underworlds were but he was willing to bet it had a few of them. If he were on a hunt he'd want to make as much ground as quickly as possible. Sadira and Haeden seemed to adopt the same logic, that they were already chasing and trying to catch up.

May we be swift enough to end it quickly and cleanly he told himself.

He began to hum a tune, the melody remembered from long ago but without source that he could remember. It was a jolly tune, one which always helped him get ready for the morning. Truthfully there was little else to do but chew upon a few pieces of travelling rations as they travelled and he had had his share already, for now. He kept his watch as like the previous day but there was a tenseness there now, the spectre of the near future now getting nearer and bringing with it Light knew what.
~
Arafel Will Rise, Kick Matty's Butt & Be Totally The Most Awesome Land Evar
~

Bella

Post by Bella » September 17th, 2017, 10:18 pm

They rode on.

Conversation weaved in and out of the moments of companionable, but watchful, silence. The horses trod on, straight and steady. The Gaidin watched everything around them, all at once. Sadira was observant as well, but she was also buried deep within her mind. There were some errant thoughts trying to distract her, but she worked to focus on the task ahead.

Just shy of midday, the walled city limits came into view.

"Hanat," Sadie said, nodding down the road that would lead them to the gate. "They know me here, the guards at least. They will let us pass without trouble. From there, I will try to arrange a meeting with my contact, and then see if we can seek out more information about this person looking to hire assassins.

"I know some about the city, but certain areas, it may be better if one of you two were to enter. I might stand out." Her face was not the pure agelessness that her mother had once achieved, but neither was it hidden either since she had kept the Three Oaths.

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » September 18th, 2017, 5:59 pm

"I don't mind stepping into some dingy places, might as well pull my weight," he said with a look to Haeden, "but if you're dead set on it we can flip a coin" he offered.

Whatever work there was he would be happy to share the load but if the man was dead set on being the one to do the ferreting then he'd step aside. Either way he'd help them, the method would merely be different. Sadira was proven correct as they were admitted through the gates quickly and with a few warm exchanges as if between old acquaintances. He wasn't surprised, she might well have been in and out of Hanat for years, decades even. He tucked that away for a future time, the wondering about how many people in her network she had, and how in the Light she kept track.

"Suggest we pick somewhere to fall back to if things go wrong, just so that we can find each other, what other gates does this place have?" he asked softly, "and I'm going to assume that we are being watched now if we weren't already" he muttered to himself as he eased his blade ever so slightly from its scabbard just in case.

He was watchful but not rude as he kept an eye upon those few that they passed as they meandered through the streets. He was thinking about the mission and something didn't sit right with him. He wasn't sure what it was but it felt...off somehow. His mind kept drifting back to the original questions he had asked and it felt like something was scratching the back of his neck to get his attention.

"How long before this contact will meet us, do you think?"
~
~

Bella

Post by Bella » September 20th, 2017, 11:58 pm

Sadira rode on in total Aes Sedai composure, even as she watched from within that practiced shell for everything and anything that might be happening around her. It was rare that she felt so...uneasy while here in her mother's homeland, but there it was. She knew that somewhere in this city--either now or recently--had been a person looking to slay her kin.

She brought them to an inn just a ways further down the road named the Blue Minstrel. She led them around to the back where there was a stable, and she nodded at the stable-boy. Dismounting, she gave him a coin and he took care of their horses.

"Once I've checked us in here, I should hear from him by this evening," she told Alrim and Haeden in a low voice as they walked in. They were greeted by a large, round woman with a booming voice that one may have supposed came from a man if the evidence to the contrary weren't quite obvious.

"Mistress Mahrvelle, always a pleasure," Sadira said graciously. "We'd like to take a meal in the common room for the time being. We may need a room, but I'm not sure yet."

"Whatever you want," Mahrvelle said, waving at the room. "Any table, is yours."

Sadira smiled and bowed her head slightly. "Wonderful hostess, as ever."

Her smile faded into something more wry as they walked into the common room and she found a place where they could be circumspect but still keep an eye on the room. She waved them to take a seat as she glanced around and then sat as well. "Mistress Mahrvelle is a wonderful woman, but I wonder that I don't end up deaf every time I speak with her," Sadira commented in a low voice.

Without having to give an order, one of the girls brought over three mugs of the house's spiced cider and departed without a word.

"We'll take a meal here, be casual, and then see about gathering some information. I'll remain at the inn to wait on my friend and one of you will remain, since I'm hardly going to be allowed on my own." She smiled wryly. "The details of that, however, I will leave between the two of you."

"If you're keen to the task, Alrim, then I would let you to it." Haeden would know the areas he was not best in. He had grown up a child of the Tower; the shadowier sides of the cities were not his best areas to work in.

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » September 21st, 2017, 3:51 pm

"I wouldn't wish to hear her shout, my hearing is precious to me" he noted with amusement from his seat.

He took a few moments to scan the room and take a sip from his spiced cider, finding it to be delicious and enjoying another sip with a satisfied smile. Their seats were well chosen and he doubted any enemies would try to strike them in the tavern even if they were aware of their presence. His guard relaxed slightly, but still did not vanish entirely.

"I've been part of such underworld schemes before, though not so extreme. If there is something to be found then I will find it," he said simply, nodding slightly, "or at least an end of the twine, something to pull on"

It was not long before food was brought to them without bidding, which made him assume that Sadira and Haeden were known enough to be anticipated in need. His own food was simple meats and cheeses, filling and piece meal affairs. It was good enough for him, he was never too choosy about what he ate. He knew he should probably change that but he had never had a reason to. He asked for a bowl of stew too, just to get a bit more war food before his task arrived.

"Not that I wouldn't stay behind," he said between sips and swallows, "I know you want me to find this....person. But whilst I'm still here, is there anything specific you'd like me to try to unearth beyond that and the obvious?"

He knew what was needed - who they were, how many had signed up, where they were being a few of the more important - but he also knew Sadira may have her own priority for information. Or wish for additional information. He'd rather ask than not. Another thought occurred to him also and he voiced it.

"And I suppose it goes without saying that if I don't return by morning that things did not go so well. So far so good though. If I find them did you want me to track or return here?" he said with a half-smile and a shake of his head.
~
~

Bella

Post by Bella » September 23rd, 2017, 9:35 pm

Sadira ate the food that was put before her, and she knew that it was of the same high quality as this establishment always put out, but it tasted like little more than ashes on her tongue now that they were here...doing what they were doing. There was some ability to remove from it while on the road, but now it would not be denied.

Her blue eyes lifted to Alrim as he asked his questions. She smiled faintly, though it was a distant expression. "I've found that trying to narrow the field only helps miss things. We know the general topic of what we need, so let's not narrow it from there. Find what you can. As for the other, do what you think best but do not follow far before returning."

On impulse, she rested her hand over his arm and said in a slightly lower voice, "And please be sure to make it back here before morning."

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » September 23rd, 2017, 11:51 pm

He nodded silently, watching her for a few moments. She seemed as if things were weighing upon her terribly, certainly not the same Sadira whom had smiled and laughed on the road or at the ball. His gaze flicked to Haeden who gave an almost unperceivable nod. He looked back to Sadira once more and wished he could take back his decision to stay and try to entertain her, but he couldn't. Haeden was the better sword, he was the better ruffian. It was the right choice yet it weighed upon him suddenly. He was about to stand when her hand reach across to touch his arm.

"Don't worry about me," he said softly, "haven't seen a dive I can't get out of yet. You look after yourselves and this friend of yours. I'll return with information soon enough" he squeezed her fingers once before pushing himself up and looking at them once more.

He nodded at Haeden and pulled his cloak around him, turning and making his way towards the door and into the night. He breathed deeply, taking in the scents, made sure his sword was easily accessible, and walked slowly down the main street they had been upon before. The older and more rundown parts of the city, that was where the dives were. Usually the centre of town and stank to the sky above. No one cared about status in such places and such things kept the guards from willingly entering the shades of darkness.

He followed his instinct and his nose, his ears and eyes also open to pick up what they could along the way just in case he was wrong. It wasn't long before he found himself in an establishment that catered to illegal fights and more, just one more face in the throng of sweat and blood. He had dirtied his face a bit to seem a bit down on his luck and had circled the place before going in. There had been the usual guards but nothing that he could discern as 'Shadowy' about the place.

It was the fourth such building he had managed to find and he was beginning to think he would return to Sadira empty handed. The thought of the disappointment kept him going despite the hour. He'd find something, he'd not return without something. Still time passed by and he was running out of it. So far he had heard rumours. Had bought drinks for scoundrels who had pointed him this way. He had played dice for clues and had taken part in a few fights to prove he wasn't too clean enough to be included in the chain of information. Apparently there was a man behind a bar who could tell him more. There had better be or he'd burn the flaming place down, he told himself.

"Geralt's been at it for the last dozen bouts. Can't see ho he does it" the man behind the bar told him as he poured out a drink.

"Probably has a skull too think to quit. Not a finesse man I'd wager"

"You a fighter then?"

"Only when I need to be. Better off with what I do than tumbling in a sand ring anyways"

"You don't say?"

He grunted in response, refusing to give out information too easily, it led to a lack of respect in places such as he was in. Silent tongues were valued more than gold, it meant you could be relied upon. So he let time do his work for him, eased his cloak over his shoulder to expose his weaponry, and noted how the man seemed to serve drinks and talk to two people in particular. When they looked at him he met their gaze for a few seconds before looking away. Had to look the part, had to act the part. Hunters were hunters and he hunted hunters this day. He chuckled internally at that.

"What's it you do again?" the barman asked him again.

"Never told you," he gave a disarming smile back, "but it depends. Changes from day to day. Do the things others can't...or won't. Call me a problem solver"

"Any problems?"

"You got a problem with your ears? It's what I said"

"What about...Aes Sedai" the last was said in barely a whisper so he had to lean forwards to catch it,

"Depends...cost more. Not an easy lot to get tangled with you see. Understand?"

"I see...well there was this...woman. Needs some help with that kind of problem"

"Oh? What's the rate?"

"Don't know"

"Then what's the target?"

"Didn't say directly, just a description"

"Okay," he sighed as if in irritation, "then where can I find her to ask her then?"

"Contact is in an empty house just south of the northern gate. His name if Javik. Her name is Karliah"

"And I just go walking in do I? Seems like a trap to me"

"Hah! Smart man. But no...every five days. Next time three days from now"

The conversation went on from there. He kept it up as long as he dared and asked as many questions as he thought he could without getting his throat slit. By the end of it he had names, descriptions and a vague accounting of the number of people the man had sent there already and how good they were. It seemed a well done operation to Alrim's mind.

"Wait on now man," the bar man grabbed his wrist as he was about to leave, "didn't you hear me before? Can't let just anyone know what I told you. You prove you're the right sort or everyone in here'll gut you, understand?"

"Fine," he said after a few moments staring at the man, "what do you want?"

"You fight...and you fight good. Three fights. Can't beat this lot can't kill what we need you to"

"Fine" he said again after a few more moments.

An hour after and he was stepping through the door of the tavern he had left Sadira and Haeden in, feeling sullied but having achieved what he set out to achieve. They would notice he was rougher than before and bruised and cut here and there no doubt. But what was important was that he had done what he needed, had gotten Sadira what she needed. He could debate his conscience later. He slumped into the chair opposite them and waved for a drink.

"How did your contact meeting go?" he asked in a tired, dulled tone of voice.
~
~

Bella

Post by Bella » September 26th, 2017, 12:13 am

The day had progressed, and Sadira's emotional state was a steady downward slide.

She had felt an odd frisson of nerves when Alrim left their company, but she had stuffed that aside so she could focus on keeping an eye out for her contact. Haeden and she exchanged some small talk here and there, but her mind rested elsewhere for the most part and so they generally kept to themselves.

As the time wore on and her contact didn't show, her anxiety began to rise. He should have known she was coming, and she had done everything as need be to alert him. Why wasn't he here? And how long was it going to take Alrim? Her mind jumped between the two, and just got worse the later it got.

Finally, at least one of them showed.

Alrim dropped himself heavily into a chair with them and her steel blue eyes swiftly took stock of him. He looked like someone had beaten him, and possibly rolled him down an alley.

"Are you alright? What happened?" she asked softly, peering intently into his face and forgetting about the question he asked for a moment.

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » September 26th, 2017, 6:39 am

"I'm fine, no honestly, I'm fine," he said at her question, "but thanks for caring, and I found where your assassin likes to hire people. They are careful too, had to go to several other places first and then there was the test of course, couple fist fights. Worth the bruises to get you what you wanted. They don't make it easy. Sorry to say it probably means that whoever has been chosen is good enough, better than most" he sighed, leaning back into the chair and looking at them both.

It was nice that she asked, not every Aes Sedai cared too much so long as the job got done. Sadira was genuine too, he could see it in her eyes as she studied him. He forced a slight smile at her in reassurance. He wished there had been another way to get what she wanted but one night meant forced tactics. He supposed he had known that going into it but all the same he wanted to go at least a week one day without gathering any bruises.

"That's the bad news, well part of it. They have recruited at least five here in Hanat. By the sounds of it this woman is here only every five days, to review applicants, so I'd wager they are recruiting elsewhere too. Couldn't get an exact number but I got a description and a name. Probably a false one but she uses it so can track her with it maybe"

"Brown-red hair, eyes like mine, not a fighter and willowy apparently, hand shorter than me and like to wear black a lot. Goes by Amotath. Sounds old tongue to me," he raked his fingers through his hair and his gaze met hers and then shifted briefly to Haeden, there were other smaller details but they could be gone over with them after some sleep, "but don't worry, bit of sleep and another day might get some more. Could go to the next meeting, see what happens"

"How have things been on your end?"
~
~

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik