Mama Bear [Attn: Alrim Farshera Gaidin]

The World outside the Grey Tower is a vast place.
Bella
Female Channeller Representative
PC: Miahala Darrow Sedai
SC: Lysira Viathene Gaidin
TC: Gareth Tomosan Asha'man
QC: Natlya Cade Gaidin
QC: Andraste Alhandra Sedai

Re: Mama Bear [Attn: Alrim Farshera Gaidin]

Post by Bella » September 29th, 2017, 12:27 am

Sadira struggled with a little tornado of conflicting emotions in her mind that she had to force away just to focus on the task at hand. She could deal with them later. She took his words as truth and nodded slightly. "Thank you for your efforts, Gaidin," she said, a touch formally but the look in her blue eyes told the rest.

To his question, however, she let out a long sigh. "Not particularly prosperous, I'm afraid," she said. "My contact never showed up. Everything has been set as it was meant to, but I have seen neither hide nor hair of him. By this hour, I do not imagine that I will. I believe we should take to our rooms for the evening. We have two, connected by a door."

They all seemed to be in agreement, so she left a tip on the table and then rose. She led them toward the back of the common room and up the stairs.

When they reached their rooms, Haeden opened the door to her room first. He had his hand on the hilt of his sword as he stepped forward, swinging it open. She was sure he didn't really expect trouble, but he was Gaidin. Better to be safe than sorry...

...and as soon as the door swung open, that sword sprung free. Haeden's arm shot out to keep Sadira back, but she could see around his arm.

There was a body on her bed. The white and blue quilt showed more red in blood than any other color. Sadira stood for a moment, feeling like stone as she took it in and none of them entered further. "By the Creator, that's my contact," she whispered, recognizing the open-eyed face of the man.

"We're leaving," Haeden declared in a hard voice.

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"
PC: Alrim Farshera Gaidin

Post by Andy » September 30th, 2017, 12:00 pm

"Any time, Aes Sedai" he nodded, meeting her eyes until they naturally broke away.

There was an edge to her voice, something about her posture, which made him think something was not quite right. Her use of formality too felt a bit off. He soon discovered what was wrong and with that came both understanding and silent sympathy. Perhaps she was just about managing to keep in control, that he could understand well enough and so he said nothing more. Better to be silent and let her lead as she saw fit.

It was a short walk to their rooms, all of them like as not caught up in their thoughts. He was glad that nothing untoward had happened to them both but if this contact had not shown his suspicions that they might have turned were growing. hat, however, was put paid to almost immediately. As soon as Haeden's lade came out he pulled out his own almost reflexively. He was behind them both and so could not see what it was but he had his trust in them. Sadira voiced the issue quickly and Alrim checked behind them, seeing nothing. Stepping forward and into the room he pushed the other door open and saw no one lurking for them within.

"Clear, just a message, apparently" he muttered darkly, "I'm sorry Sadira. Haeden is right, best to retreat and rethink. IGet the mounts ready," he said, looking at the man, kneeling to close his eyes. Best not to mention he was about to search the dead for anything that might point to the killer.

As he did so he noticed something reflecting in his hand and prised it open to find a trinket of some kind. He touched it gingerly, not feeling any trap of the Power materialise, and pocketed it for later inspection. As he did so he studied the blade protruding from the man's chest and felt the pockets. Nothing. Another dead end. He sighed and made his way back down to the stables, mounted and then they were away.

There was no talking as they fled the scene. It rankled that he could not stand and fight but the tactics were sound. They had been outplayed and the warning was clear - stay and be made like this. His jaw was set grimly and though they faced no opposition as the city lights faded behind them, he almost wished they would find some. It would give an outlet for his anger.

Next time, we will win. Losing the battle does not mean losing the war he vowed to himself silently, keeping his attention split between their surroundings and his allies for this fated trip.
~
Arafel Will Rise, Kick Matty's Butt & Be Totally The Most Awesome Land Evar
~

Bella

Post by Bella » September 30th, 2017, 2:43 pm

No one spoke. In the dark of the night, the three of them left the inn with purpose. Haeden was watchful of everything and everyone and anything going on around them. They gathered their mounts and rode out of the city. And they kept riding, until Haeden felt assured that they were not being followed. Then he found them a place to stop the horses and take stock.

He dismounted and thoroughly scouted the small clearing, then nodded. "We'll camp here for the rest of the night."

Sadira also dismounted while her brother went about setting up camp. Emotions were roiling inside her and she found it hard to keep still, although she managed due to her many years and practice as Aes Sedai. She helped set up camp, but was so deep inside her mind that she barely even knew what she was doing.

After a moment, Haeden nodded at Alrim and then pulled his sister aside.

"I'm sorry," he said quietly.

"I got him killed, Haeden," she replied, just as quietly.

He shook his head slightly. "He knew the risks. And you weren't the only risky venture of his."

Her expression was a dry one. "I think it was clear that it was his work for me that got him killed. He was in my room while I was here waiting for him."

That, even Haeden couldn't argue with. He put his hand on her shoulder. "We'll figure out what happened and find justice, and we'll use what we did find and make sure our mother is kept safe."

Sadira nodded shakily and took a steady breath, then they returned the small fire Haeden had already started and to where Alrim stood beside it.

"So, not exactly the expected turn of events," she commented with a mirthless smile.

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » September 30th, 2017, 3:12 pm

He said nothing as Haeden took Sadira aside, they like as not held their own counsel and it was something he respected enough not to listen in on, even though he could have done. It was not his place to stand between brother and sister, whatever the slight differences of blood. Instead he set about getting the camp ready whilst they said whatever needed be said. He had chipped out a proper fire pit this time, they were already known and he'd rather have a full fire with heated stones around it for night warmth if he was going to be his last evening in the Pattern.

He took out the brooch he had found at the tavern, turning it in the light and watching the fire set its metalwork ablaze. It was full silver he knew, the scattered fire opals and diamonds well carved and set into a pattern that was familiar to him. It was a style common in Arafel, designed to flash in the sun and attract potential suitors. A display of wealth that was quiet in its expression. He sighed and turned it around, there was no true inscription on the reverse, only letters - KM, IY, AF. Still the patterns were usually relatively unique and if he could find the craftsman...well he'd have name. From there it would be easier.

More's the pity....still...Arafel connections. It's something. People owe me a few favours still...I wonder he mused to himself, lost in his own thoughts as Sadira appeared beside him. He could already see the events had taken a toll upon her, her eyes flashed less, appeared dulled almost.

"It was one potential outcome...though not one I'd have preferred," he said with a frown at the fire, he wanted to put his arm around her but settled to a hand upon her shoulder, "I am sorry it ended this way but I promise you I will make sure it wasn't for nothing. There was nothing we could have done. Do not blame yourself"

He felt like a hypocrite in part, he was telling her to do what he often did himself, and with less cause. But he'd rather himself feel terrible than her. He handed her the brooch without any further word, letting her study it for a few moments if she chose.

"You were right though, he was loyal. I should not have questioned it before. The style is from Arafel, I remember it well. Whoever is in charge of this either is from there, or spent some time there. Long enough to wear that brooch. It's a way of signifying you are...available. Each craftsman has a particular style. There are many in the land but find the right one and..." he trailed off, it was a small lead, so small he didn't want to even whisper it.

"That brooch and a name...I could return to Arafel and find you what you seek. He gave you that much. He was a brave man"

He said nothing else, out of respect. He knew the man not and had no way of knowing how deep their working relationship had become over the years. He was polite enough to let Sadira reveal what she wished to reveal. For his part he told her everything he thought she needed to know. A bit of hope amidst the shadows. It wasn't much but it was all he had.
~
~

Bella

Post by Bella » September 30th, 2017, 3:24 pm

"Thank you, Alrim," Sadira said softly as she took the broach, examining it curiously. She took in the details. They were not familiar to her in the way they were to Alrim, but she committed them all to memory. She would not let this information go to waste, since it had come to the three of them at great cost.

She passed it to Haeden for him to look at. "His name was Josta," she said quietly. "He had been my eyes around Hanat for over ten years, after the death of his wife. They were childless, so he didn't have much tying him to the world anymore. I guess he felt like his life was...a little more expendable, alone." A faint sorrow crept into her voice that she was unaware of, though Haeden noted it.

"He gave me information over the years, and it was always sound. I never gained a false lead from him. May he be sheltered in the embrace of the Creator now."

They were all silent for a moment before Haeden passed the brooch back to Alrim; it had been his find, after all. "I have some connections in Arafel myself. Although I signed away my right to lead my House, I am not entirely unattached. I can reach out and see if anyone can speak to this item as well."

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » September 30th, 2017, 4:16 pm

"Perhaps he just felt his life was only expendable for the right reasons," he said as he took the brooch once more and passed it to Haeden for study also, "I doubt he would have lived his life without learning what such a thing was worth. He would have chosen you for a reason" he said simply.

"Believe me, contacts only give information to those they wish. May he find peace" he finished with a sense of finality to the tone , but sorrow also.

Any time the Shadow took another, whether it be directly or by proxy, it was a sad occasion. He felt as if there were ten times more of their enemies then themselves at times. It was difficult to figure out what you could do against a swarm. Perhaps, though, it could be proven this time that action was possible. From the swarm had been plucked something precious. The ability to strike back.

The real question is whether it is worth it...and I don't know he told himself grimly.

"If you can reach the Houses then I can turn the underworlds upside down. We should find something between the two. If you are willing to let me tag along," he said, almost tentatively, "I am owed favours and know who does what. I would like to see this through to the end" he finished, looking her directly in the eyes.

The fact that it could be his own end was a real possibility and was not lost on him. Still, he felt it was something he needed to do.
~
~

Bella

Post by Bella » September 30th, 2017, 4:31 pm

The air around them was heavy with the weight of the moment, an undercurrent of tension wondering if there was anyone around would be coming for them, sorrow for the life lost, and the weight of the knowledge of what was around them at all times. Everyone was quiet and reflective as they sat around the fire.

"I had only intended to write letters," Haeden replied after a few moments of silence. "However, if you would like my company or my aid in a trip to Arafel, I would be glad to attend. Perhaps I will do better in person than by written word anyways."

"Your help in this matter is appreciated, Alrim," Sadira weighed in, her eyes on the flames. "I know this was not your fight to begin with, and you've already put yourself quite on the line for it. That is not unnoticed."

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » September 30th, 2017, 5:54 pm

"I don't leave things half-done," he said, "besides there's no one better for helping you and I want to. I'd feel better knowing you were within the best chance" he finished softly.

There was little else to say, it was truth and he wasn't bragging. Still he wondered why he cared so much. He liked Sadira and Haeden but he was now promising to walk into a den of knives for their cause. He had never really thought of himself as a 'cause' person. Still he had been seeking purpose and it had been dumped into his lap with much ado. Some time ago he'd have thrown it into long grass but now...now he didn't like the idea of her walking into the maw without trying to stop it from closing upon her.

"Your fight is my fight anyway, I'll not have their type in Arafel," he stated, not the whole truth, as he looked at Sadira directly, "and I'll leave it to the pair of you to decide how to approach it. But when you do I will be ready" he looked into the fire.

"You should sleep, I'll take first watch again" he said, offering them the chance to retire and try to forget what had happened.

He doubted, however, that any of them would. It was just one move in a game of Stones that was only beginning. He just wished he could figure out how to win in the end.
~
~

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik