Onto Adventure [Attn: Alrim Farshera Gaidin]

The World outside the Grey Tower is a vast place.
Bella
Female Channeller Representative
PC: Miahala Darrow Sedai
SC: Lysira Viathene Gaidin
TC: Gareth Tomosan Asha'man
QC: Natlya Cade Gaidin
QC: Andraste Alhandra Sedai

Re: Onto Adventure [Attn: Alrim Farshera Gaidin]

Post by Bella » August 10th, 2017, 1:41 am

Unknown to her, but able to be guessed, Andra's mind was moving along similar paths. She considered a likely place where they might be able to find people, either the man himself or those who would know him. She wasn't sure her luck would stretch enough to find him so directly, but perhaps a few more steps and connections...

"Yes," she replied, bringing her mind back around to hearing what Alrim had to say. "Seen" was iffier about being dangerous or not, dependent upon the eyes that saw, but "worse" was...well, worse. "Besides, it's just about mealtime. If we are seen eating at a local establishment, it will make us a little less...obvious to stand out. And always good to be seen giving locals business."

The pair of them turned away from where they had talked to the children, or more precisely the one boy while the others listened, and headed back towards the business area of the town.

From where she stood, she could see at least one inn and two smaller taverns. Each one had the slightly rundown appearance that the majority of the city had, in as much as she'd seen so far. "Would you care to choose our establishment?" she suggested with a small smile, since any concept of safety fell into his purview.

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"
PC: Alrim Farshera Gaidin

Post by Andy » August 19th, 2017, 12:53 pm

"And if things don't turn to right we'll have warm food in us and that'll be something" he said before nodding at her suggestion that he pick the venue.

He had seen the establishments nearby and none of them screamed that they were entirely safe to him but he opted for the larger inn for many reasons. It was larger and so more likely to have information they needed, of course. Yet it was also likely to have better food, less unsavoury characters - if there were such a thing in this town - and more exits. He liked options and he'd take more open space and more doors any day of his life.

"The inn, larger and more likely to have amore of what we need. Besides someone of your standing should have the best available, no?"

It was a small matter to make their way there and make sure their mounts were well stored and looked after before pushing through the door and into the building proper. A small smile curled his lips, it reminded him of the old days. Slightly run down and in need of repair but polished to a gleam and the walls covered with various things from many lands in an effort to make it seem grander than it was. It smacked of pride of ownership and a desire to make the best of the lot they were given.

In short, probably not that big of a criminal. Good he told himself as he scanned the room.

There were an assortment of early customers around though most seemed as if they wanted to keep to themselves. It was not yet the rush hour of the building but it would be soon. He nodded at a corner table, almost a booth but not quite, as their suggested seating arrangement. They would be in a corner but out of the way. The better option all things considered. He waved at one of the servers as they seated themselves.

"Decent place you have here. Ale and some stew please. Meaty if you've got it" he said before ceding back to Andraste for her own choices.
~
Arafel Will Rise, Kick Matty's Butt & Be Totally The Most Awesome Land Evar
~

Bella

Post by Bella » August 20th, 2017, 7:13 pm

As Andra followed Alrim into the inn, she took the same in depth look around the room. Her conclusions were relatively the same as his, although she didn't ask, but it did bode well to not give them too much trouble. Hopefully, this little endeavor would equal a decent meal and a few pieces of information.

In the interest of simplicity, she looked at the server who arrived at their table. "The same, please," she said. The girl nodded and hurried off.

Once the other woman was out of earshot, Andra turned back to her Gaidin for the trip. "My thoughts are to enjoy the meal first and then perhaps see who might be able, and willing, to grant us a little information. I'm not sure our server is reading as the bubbly type, but one never knows. Maybe she will be soon and she can help."

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » August 21st, 2017, 6:50 pm

"It is my experience that they can be quite open when encouraged to be, though I have been known to be wrong. But I agree, simple pleasures should be appreciated" he said as his finger drew an idle pattern upon the wood between them.

"I'd have thought that time will do our work for us if we let it, taverns have their busy periods and they usually happen the same times everywhere. Might be packed here soon enough and with that comes talk and ale enough to loosen lips"

He wondered, not for the first time, why people would turn against their own. Even in Arafel's underworld it was rare though he had experienced it a handful of times. Andraste said it was not certain it had happened but the concept was curious for him. What made you betray and connive? Was it born in you or created over time? Perhaps, with the right actions, corruption could be stopped from happening again. It seemed impossible but it was worth trying to think upon. The Grey Tower was important and was his only home now after all.

"I'm just waiting for us to find out this Old Man Miller is younger than me. Children think everything is old" he snorted.
~
~

Bella

Post by Bella » August 31st, 2017, 10:36 pm

Andraste looked at him idly, feeling like there were thoughts there that weren't being shared. She wouldn't ask, of course, but she was curious by nature and wondered about them. When he spoke, however, she smiled lightly with amusement. "That is true," she would agree. "I know that when I was little, I thought even teenagers were 'old'."

She considered this for a moment, now hoping that she wasn't older than "Old Man Miller" herself.

"Of course, it depends on who it is that calls him that. With luck, everyone will and thus you and I will not be lumped into the category of the elderly," she said with good humor.

Before either of them had the chance to say anything more, the serving girl returned and set down a pair of only slightly dented pewter tankards filled with ale. She thanked the girl and took a moment to observe her, considering if she would be a viable source of information; trying to make a guess at her character.

The girl left, but Andra would see what she could ask when she brought their meal.

"The more different people seem, the more they are truly the same," the Red said idly, pulled the tankard closer to herself and peering into the dark brew within. "You're right in that it seems taverns from place to place will see the same surge and the same behavior, from town to town and country to country. In most every place, it is familiar and predictable. Only the surface varies."

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » September 7th, 2017, 7:16 pm

"Traditions and cultures are powerful things. Sometimes I think people hold onto them because it makes them feel safe and secure. I wonder how hard it will be on them when they discover that such differences will count for little in the face of things such as we know" he said, shaking his head and realising he was going down a darker path than was required this day.

"And I think you will have to wait a century before you could be called old. Now me...a couple of decades perhaps" he flashed a small smile.

He took a few moments to assess the room once more, a few people more had meandered in and ordered food but not what one would call a throng of people. From the way they went straight to certain tables he assumed that they were regulars getting their seats before others arrived to take them first. Early birds, he mused to himself. Still it would be some time before they got much and so he relaxed and sipped from his ale, offering the cup up to toast briefly.

"Then again, surfaces, as you say, can be useful things. They are often only what are remembered. Little details or certain actions. Useful at times if you need them. Perhaps on a trip such as this" he shrugged.

The lass was coming back now and there was an air of distraction about her as she placed the steaming food down, as if she were trying to remember something. Her job tasks, perhaps. Still he knew Andraste wanted to question her and so he stayed silent, for now, and deferred to her judgement.
~
~

Bella

Post by Bella » September 11th, 2017, 1:54 am

With the distracted look in the girl's eyes, Andra was afraid she might not be able to catch and keep her attention without being a little more forceful than she wanted to be. The Red didn't want to scare the girl away, after all, and she wanted her to be cooperative. Everything needed to remain casual.

"Excuse me," Andra said lightly just before the girl began to turn to leave. She turned back, blinking with surprise. "May I ask you something, about your town here?"

The girl's brows drew in, but she nodded once.

Andra offered a small smile as she formed her words to the best advantage she could think of. "We're looking for Old Man Miller. Might you be able to aid us?"

"What do you want him for?" the girl asked, brows knitting a little tighter.

"We were suggested to find him," Andra said smoothly. "We were told that he would best be able to help us..." She trailed off for just a moment, running a small gamble.

It paid off. "Oh, you're looking for baskets?"

The Aes Sedai blinked once but managed to keep the surprise off her face otherwise, and just smiled again. "Yes," she said. "We have heard good things about his work, and we need something up to the task."

"Oh, yeah," the girl said, her eyebrows letting go of each other and now smiling. "He makes the best basketweave inside five cities around here, you know. I don't know how he does it, but they are strong and sturdy. I bet whatever you need them for, he'll have something to get you fitted just right. He don't usually come into town but later in the week.

"You can find his shop further down this road," she said as she pointed toward the front of the inn, gesturing in the direction they had been traveling before. "Get to where the buildings space out, then just look for the baskets out front and listen for the sound of the cursing. Don't be put off by it, though. He's all talk."

"Thank you so much," Andra said sincerely.

It looked like Andra was about to buy a basket.

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » September 18th, 2017, 4:39 pm

When Andraste had asked her initial question he had not expected the whole thing to come tumbling out of her without some form of cajoling but it was a pleasant surprise that something was so easy for once. He was pretty sure there was no Power at work too which made it all the more impressive. All they needed to know and more. He had been right about the lass and a slow smile spread across his face which he buried in his food quietly. Once she had left he slipped a few silvers from a pocket and put them under his mug where she would find them.

"What? She deserves something to help her out," he said by way of explanation, "she was a fountain of...something. Sharp mind, might be useful in the right hands. Passes unseen except by roused passions and remembers facts. Knew I liked her for a reason" he finished softly, leaving Andraste to decide whether it was worth it.

Useful people, quiet people, smart people. Always best to use the smaller ones, bigger ones can crush you. Street smarts, good thing you never fully lose them. Come in handy one day I think he told himself.

The rest of their meal was over quickly, but not rushed, it wouldn't do to arouse suspicion. Still with arm stomachs and a more direct sense of purpose it was hard for any Borderlander not to wish to continue the chase, whatever its ending was.

"Would the lady like a basket?" he asked with an mused tone as they stood.

A short journey later and they had found the place they were searching for, the curses could be heard halfway there and only grew louder the closer they were. He had to shake his head and smile but restrained a laugh as he shared a glance or two with Andraste. As they rounded the front of the property the wiry, and old, man could be seen working at his next batch, surrounded by his materials and sucking his thumb.

"I hear you're the man to talk to about baskets?"

"Who's askin'" the man snapped at him suspiciously as he looked them over.

"Customers of course, we only want the best and were told you were that. If you're not then we ca-"

"Now don't be getting all tetchy now, business be business. Won't find better'n me for miles, if that. What kind?"

"Which do you have?" he asked pleasantly.

The man sucked his teeth before gesturing for them to follow him with his chin and stepped inside the building without a backwards glance.
~
~

Bella

Post by Bella » September 20th, 2017, 6:25 pm

Andra was quiet as they followed him into the building and he began to point at various baskets, explaining their uses and strengths. For a moment, the Red was distracted from their mission simply because she'd had no idea that there were so many types of flaming baskets out in the world... Sizes, sure, but shapes and purposes and weave type and materials...

It was a little mind-boggling.

Finally, she pulled herself back around. When he stopped talking, she made a show like she was checking on one of the baskets in front of her while she casually made a comment. "We heard about your good work from a friend of mine, Nykkolaia." She glanced at him briefly with a small, disarming smile. "A woman about my height, blonde with scars on her face."

"I remember her," he said. Andra couldn't determine his tone to that. "Hard to forget that one's face. I'm surprised she'd have mentioned me to anyone, though." His brows knit. "She didn't buy anything."

"She is an odd one," Andra commented while looking at the basket. She had never met the Blue, but had heard the same phrase from more than one person in recent times.

"She was," he agreed. "She was asking about my son, of all people. I told her that he ran off some years back and I don't know where he is, but she wouldn't tell me why she was asking about him."

Andra nodded a little. Why had Nykk been asking about his son? "I'm sorry to hear that about your son," she said, and it was sincerely.

He rubbed the back of his neck. "Thank you for that," he said. "Elren always was a bit odd. He was, oh, about seventeen when he took off. I always thought he'd come back, was just being a boy that age, but I don't think that anymore."

Looking at him again, she offered a sympathetic smile. Then she turned to Alrim. "What do you think? This one work?" She planned to buy at least one basket--a small one, easy to travel with--to compensate the man for his time and to give excuse to leave. She had a few things to think over.

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » September 23rd, 2017, 10:02 pm

The story of the basket maker's son, scant on detail though it was, touched something within him. The man waited for a son who would never return and he wished that he had returned sooner, yearned for a moment that would not come to pass either. It reminded him that there were many who suffered throughout the lands, who would continue to despite being undeserving. He was puzzled as to why this Aes Sedai was chasing after young men but he didn't know her as much as Andraste did so he reasoned she would have a better perspective.

Or it will be another lead to Light knows where. I know that feeling he told himself. He was brought back to reality by Andraste's question and he focused upon the basket and put on a considering face, nodding slowly.

"Yes, it will do nicely. We'll take two actually, can always fid a use for useful items," he said, passing over some of his own coin and picking the baskets up in his left hand, "I hope that your son finds his way home. Father's deserve better" he said by way of parting.

A few more exchanged words and they were outside once more, two new baskets in hand and one immediately wealthier, deserving basket maker. Mounting his horse once more he waited for Andraste to set the pace and matched it, a slow walk he noted and her gaze seemed distant.

"Seems like she came, asked her questions and left. Probably after this man's lad. A puzzle indeed. You want to keep looking more?" he asked.

The silence and slight shake of the head was enough to know that their journey here, whilst not entirely wasted, was coming to an end. He had no clue why Andraste was doing as she was doing, it wasn't his place, but he had the feeling she would be working at it for a long time indeed.
~
~

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik