Shadow Scouring [Attn: Roan]

The World outside the Grey Tower is a vast place.
Andy
"A Crown of Swords"
PC: Alrim Farshera Gaidin

Re: Shadow Scouring [Attn: Roan]

Post by Andy » August 8th, 2017, 11:00 am

"Your trip, your rules," he told her, watching her carefully, "I'm not sure that I could stop you even if I desired to"

She was toying with her hair, almost like a young girl, and it amused him though he said nothing. It was a reminder that even Aes Sedai were human and had their own foibles they would never be able to get rid of, even if they tried. Or perhaps she was merely comfortable enough with his presence, or had forgotten he was there briefly. Either way he filed the knowledge away for the future - they were human. A pertinent point to remember given that he was supposed to keep them alive.

"But if you can keep up..." he trailed off, not meeting her gaze on purpose as he responded to her own cheek, smiling slightly.

He nodded at her idea of food and discussion with front line soldiers though, it was reasonable and if they had to be out for more than an evening - for whatever reason - he'd rather not use up their own personal stores. They might need them.

"I think something warm and something known is better than not" he stated simply as he pushed himself up and to his feet with regret.

He held the door open for her and closed it behind them as they exited and made their way towards the mess. It was noisy and half-filled with various types of outpost rank and job. It was easy enough to make headway though as they all seemed to step aside for them - clearly Aes Sedai walked where they wished here. As Tia fetched her food he noticed a familiar face that had been in the room with the commander and leaned in to ask his questions - who had found the bodies. He had a group of about six people pointed out in the far corner.

"Looks like they're our scouts" he told Tia after tapping her shoulder, pointing to them.
~
Arafel Will Rise, Kick Matty's Butt & Be Totally The Most Awesome Land Evar
~

Roan
Non-Channeller Representative
PC: Riahana
SC: Tia Tomosan, Aes Sedai
TC: Paks Liard, Ji'Val

Post by Roan » August 9th, 2017, 8:45 pm

Tia Sedai
Tia offered Alrim a small, but warm smile, “Well done. Grab some food, and let’s see if we can convince one or two of them to join us tonight. I’d like to keep the scouting party small. The more people we have, the harder it is to remain undetected.” She looked back to him in time to see him nod.

Once Alrim had a tray of food of his own, the pair of them approached the table. The group of men were in deep conversation, but it stopped as Tia and Arlim came to stand at their table. “Mind if we join?”

The man who’d been in the commander’s office pointed to the two empty seats, “By all means, Aes Sedai.”

Tia noticed how he turned a more critical eye to Alrim, but she said nothing of it for now. “I hear you are who we want to talk to if we want to know more about the attacks that have been happening on the road out of town.”

“Commander knows all we know,” one of them muttered.

Looking to Alrim with a slightly arched brow, along with a wry smile, Tia looked to the one who spoke, “Pretty sure that’s not the case. Pretty sure the Commander is a respectable man, but a bit out of touch on what it’s like to be out there, boots on the ground, so to speak.” She looked back to the man who was in the Commander’s office, “My friend and I are intending to head out tonight to scout the area of the outcrops. . .see if we can see anything.

“We could use someone like you or one of your men who know the area better than we do. . .help us find a place we can scout without being seen?”

The man looked from Tia to Alrim, and then to his men. He sucked on his teeth as he tilted his head, “Smart. . .wantin’ one of us to go with you. Alright, I’ll go. Don’t think you need more than me with you for a scouting mission. When do you want to leave?”

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » August 19th, 2017, 2:20 pm

Alrim did not ignore the way that he man , as well as his comrades, looked at him askance. He was not sure why perhaps they were assessing him with a soldier's eye. Gaidin, after all, were considered some of the best, if not the best, fighters aside from Blademasters. Though if he were honest many Blademasters seemed to be Gaidin so there was a connection there also. It could also have been the fact that he was only a Ji'val on a Gaidin's mission. Or mere curiosity. He met their gazes impassively, which seemed to be accepted by them well enough.

Good thing they don't know how tired and terrified I was last time battles raged. That's really go down well he told himself privately, it was true though he felt no shame - everyone was terrified he reckoned.

"When true dark come we want to be on the approach. So we'd need to set off a bit before that" he stated simply, it was all that was required.

"Smarter," the man nodded with a grin missing at least one tooth, "good. Don't like getting myself killed. We'll go out there but not sure you'll find much. Still, it is always an honour Aes Sedai"

Alrim picked at his food as he watched them all, noted how a couple had that twist to their lips that spoke of things not talked about, not dealt with. If he could put money down he'd have gone with an incomplete report and a quick flight from a scene of carnage. Guts and blood gave you that green look, he knew that all too well. And if they had agreed to keep their mouths shut then guilt might eat at some. Fear at others.

"Must be hard," he said between bites, "serving out here. On the edges. Must see some strange things, things which you wish you could forget. Sounds like these...occurrences...aren't the usual that was signed up for?" he asked, watching a couple of faces carefully but his tone amiable.

"No one likes dying or seeing the bodies. Nothing strange there"

"Of course...of course," he looked at Tia for a moment before continuing, "at least we can make sure it doesn't happen again, "we should have enough to know what we're dealing with" he left the hook there just in case someone wanted to bite at it though he was not hopeful.
~
~

Roan

Post by Roan » August 19th, 2017, 4:43 pm

Tia Sedai
Watching Alrim interact with the soldiers was an interesting study in human behavior. Even back at the Citadel, he seemed to meld with those who were part of the Citadel Guard, and had a camaraderie with them that put those around him at ease. Those they were currently talking to seemed a bit more on edge, but their glances in her direction told her much of what she needed to know. They may have said more had she not been there, or at least that was her first thought.

As she studied their faces and their reactions, Tia realized some of the younger men kept looking to the one who was doing all the talking. They don’t want to appear weak in front of him, and he doesn’t want to appear weak in front of any one. So what did they actually find out there?

What little was said suggested more than bandits, and Tia wondered if they were indeed dealing with Trollocs. The thing was. . .it didn’t make sense for them to set up camp and do repeated ambushes. That was more a human tactic. Trollocs tended to rampage unless there was a Fade to control them, and again, why would a Fade resort to ambushes?

Unless. . .it was to lure out an Aes Sedai and her Warder.

Perhaps there was a simpler explanation. Perhaps there were bandits who made the attacks look worse than they were to keep the guard away. It was a risky gamble.

The Aes Sedai found her appetite lacking a bit, but forced herself to get some of the hot stew in her. She’d need the energy if things went sideways while they were out. It worried her they weren’t getting the full story from the men who’d encountered what sounds like a massacre. She wondered if they’d be more forthcoming to Alrim if he were on his own. There was nothing for it, though, as it would look odd if she were to leave before finishing her meal.

After washing down a bit of her stew, Tia looked from Alrim to the self-appointed spokesman, “We’ll leave here in two hours time. That should give us plenty of time to get there before we lose the sun.” It would give her and Arlim plenty of time to get ready. . .and give those here a chance to come find them if they had anything else to say.
Spoiler: show
Feel free to do a time jump if you want. . .have them leaving by foot. Or. . .if you want one of the underlings to perhaps find them and give them more information, that's cool...could even do both. :)

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » August 20th, 2017, 2:38 pm

It seemed that nothing further would be forthcoming and so as he finished his food and Tia gave the order he pushed himself up and gave them all a last look before turning and walking away. He was impressed with Tia so far, she was capable, smart and possessed neither the air if snobbishness or disinterest that many of her peers did. He had yet to see her channelling skills but felt sure they would measure up. What surprised him the most, as they exchanged glances, was that she did not push them.

She could do but doesn't. Interesting he mused to himself, only stopping when a hand gripped his shoulder, turning to see one of the group they had just left.

"Wait...please it's not fair, you got to know"

"Know what. friend?"

"We didn't exactly say everything that we fo-"

"Yes that much we know. Bites? Scratches?"

"Worse. We found that too but a couple of them. They was alive but...not all there. If you gets what I mean"

"Not al there?" he said slowly, looking at Tia, "you mean dismembered. Bits carried off? What?"

"That and...empty. Drooling. Alive but not who they were. We knows what that means. We didn't want us all to die to try to deal with it. Please"

"It's fine...it will be dealt with" he patted the man on the shoulder and turned him, steering him gently to go back where he had come from.

"Draghkar. Probably means a Fade too. Trollocs of course. I really hope that's it but knowing my luck there'll be Dreadlords or something" he sighed as he shared a look with Tia once more, longer than the first, before they set about getting prepared.

It was dark now, not yet full dark but damned close, and they were both approaching the outcrop with their appointed guard. He was really hoping that they weren't being led on a chase by a Darkfriend but he was willing to give the benefit of the doubt for now. He would do his job and protect Tia, he was between her and their guide and a bit ahead of her too just in case they were set upon. They were not mounted and they were not yet in the realm of danger, their location about a half hour away perhaps.
~
~

Roan

Post by Roan » August 20th, 2017, 10:25 pm

Tia Sedai
Draghkar. Wonderful, Tia thought to herself as she and Alrim left the mess hall to prepare for their outing. He also thought a Fade would be present too. She was suddenly feeling out of her depth. Trollocs were one thing, but Draghkar and Fades were very different matters. “I sincerely hope we’re not dealing with a Draghkar and a Fade. I think we’d need more than just us to dispatch them,” she said as they made their way to their quarters.

Two and a half hours later, their party closed in on the outcrop. It was meant to be a scouting mission, and Tia hoped it would remain as such, but the best laid plans of mice and men, and all of that. . .

Just before cresting the hill, Baldwin, the sergeant to the group of men who came across the grizzly scene, paused, “We should get down so they don’t see us when we get to the top of the hill. There is some brush, but I don’t know that it will provide us much cover if we are standing.” He looked to the three of his men that joined them, “You all stay here. Keep quiet.”

Thus, Alrim, Tia and Baldwin crawled their way to the top and looked down to the outcrops. There was an opening in one, suggesting a cave, and the telltale sign of a fire in the form of orange flickering light. Outside the opening stood two Trollocs, as if on watch. Looking around the opening, it seemed clear they were dealing with more than just two Trollocs.

Baldwin touched Tia on the arm, and pointed to the top of one of the outcrops. In the darkness, she could just make out a form with folded wings sitting on top. It was indeed a Draghkar. She was about to look to Alrim when movement caught her eye. Ten or fifteen more Trollocs were ‘marching’ to the opening, and with them, on horseback, was a Fade.

Odds were not good, but their suspicions were confirmed. She tapped both Baldwin and Alrim on the shoulder and motioned for them to head back. Only once they were with the other three guardsmen did Tia speak, “Near twenty Trollocs, a Draghkar and a Fade. Alrim, I do not like our odds. I think perhaps we should head back to the outpost, and consider our options. Thoughts?” She kept her voice low, not wanting to alert their ‘friends’ by the outcrops.

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » August 21st, 2017, 4:07 pm

He had been hoping that his instincts were wrong, and he rarely wished that upon himself, but it was to no avail. He had had that deep pit in his stomach ever since leaving the outpost but as they eased their eyes above the rise and gazed upon the cave mouth he almost cursed to himself. He kept silent only because he did not wish to attract undue attention. His gaze took in the Shadowspawn and he tried to estimate how many there might be within that they could not see. Tactics flickered through his mind for contingencies but none of them were good. He nodded at Tia in acceptance.

"Agreed. This has to be done right" he said, almost in a whisper.

It was easy enough to make their way back to the other three of their group and their gazes were all too clear - fear. They were afraid and they had good reason to be. He put a finger to his lips and said nothing as they made their way further from the threat and back towards the safety of the outpost. Mostly his thoughts were occupied with how to dig out their enemy and put it down once and for all. The memories of the Citadel were fresh and he did not want another army to form, however slowly. Not on the doorstep of his new home's bastion.

"Well, at least we know for sure now," he said once they were far enough away, watching the sky now for any sign of pursuit. He saw nothing but he was cautious enough not to take it for granted, "better than not. Wouldn't have wanted to walk into that" he said with a grim tone.
~
~

Roan

Post by Roan » August 28th, 2017, 9:45 pm

Tia Sedai
Tia nodded, “Let’s head back. We can speak with the commander again. I want to send word to the Citadel. They may be able to send reinforcements. Another channeler and a gaidin or two wouldn’t be amiss.” As she spoke, Tia was thinking to what she saw at the outpost. The number of men there could handle the Trollocs easily enough, but the Draghkar and Fade were two very different beasts.

The group did their best to make quick and silent work of getting back to the outpost. The Green Sister kept waiting for the other shoe to drop, or to come across a scouting party of Trollocs, but their luck held. As the gates closed behind them, the outpost commander approached, “Looking at your expressions, I’m assuming it is not happy news.”

Looking to Alrim for a moment, Tia looked back to the man, “No. There are at least twenty Trollocs. A Fade and Draghkar too. I’d like to say Alrim and I could handle it on our own, but it would be risky, and I’d rather not take unnecessary risks. One more channeler and their Warder would be welcome. I want to send word to the Citadel right away. There are a few channelers there that could help. They may even have the ability to Travel and could arrive quicker.”

“I will send my fastest riders. The road is not hard to travel, and with luck, they will arrive unscathed,” the commander replied. “Come to my office. We can write the missive there, and dispatch it right away,” he added. As Alrim and Tia followed him, the commander showed, “Greyson, you, Rodan and Dolan are to get your mounts ready to head for the Citadel.”

A man off to Tia’s left called out, “Yes Commander!”

Activity seemed to pick up a level as Tia and Alrim entered the Commander’s office. It didn’t take long for Tia to write out the request, and she made it clear that she’d rather someone Travel there so they could take care of the Shadowspawn sooner than later.”

As they stepped out of the office, the one named Grayson stepped up, “Sir, we are ready to go.”

Tia handed him the wax-sealed parchment, “See this gets to the Channelers at the Citadel. They will know who to send.”

“It will be done, Aes Sedai,” he said simply before turning to join his comrades. The three mounted up and took off through the gates, bound for the Citadel.

Tia looked from Alrim to the Commander, “I think it would be best if we tried to get some sleep. Commander, I don’t think I need to tell you or your men to be extra vigilant.”

“Of course, Aes Sedai.”
Spoiler: show
I'm totally cool if they go and chat before taking a bit of rest. I couldn't remember if they had quarters at this outpost or not.
. .just run with it. If you want to fast forward to the channelers arriving, feel free.

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » September 6th, 2017, 8:10 pm

Alrim said little as they returned to the outpost and Tia set about doing as she thought appropriate. He watched, learned and waited as best he could. He wanted, very badly, to find somewhere he could not be heard and shout assorted oaths aloud. He knew better, though, than to do so. Morale was never high in such places and when word spread of the new enemies it was sink. The last thing they needed was a Gaidin-in-Training giving them further reason to sink down deeper into that hole. Still, his reticence would be noticed, he hoped it would be seen as thinking about the problem.

Things are never, ever, ever, ever simple for me are they? he sighed to himself internally, the nature of their task now sinking in behind the relative safety of the ramparts.

It was only as the door closed behind the quarters they had been given that he said anything, slumping into a chair and trying to think out scenarios that would make the whole thing easier for their success. If he were given control of the men then he'd set an ambush of some kind. Even with Gaidin it'd be difficult. Channellers, and Battle ones at that, would make it easier but it would depend upon if there were a larger force they had not seen. He hoped not.

"I really hate Shadowspawn. Even before I learned about them properly they were far from my favourite things," he sighed as he looked into the fire that was crackling enough to throw the chill from the room, "killing that Draghkar will have to be first priority. Too dangerous when trying to kill the Fade and Trollocs. At least we can fight a ground battle well enough. We can't fly, sadly"

"Ambush is what I'd do. Lure them out, slip in behind and scythe at their back bit by bit, attrition..." he trailed off, "sorry...sleep, I know"

He rested his chin in his hand, elbow propped upon the arm of the chair and wondered, idly, how many fights the Pattern had in store for him before the end. He had a separate cot in a small side room off of the main one but he wasn't feeling particularly tired and wasn't sure if he'd get much sleep at all. It had been the same at the Citadel. Something occurred to him, he hadn't asked her anything since returning.

"How do you feel about it? Not what you were expecting, I suppose?"
~
~

Roan

Post by Roan » September 9th, 2017, 12:43 pm

Tia Sedai
Tia let out a sigh as she sunk into a chair opposite Alrim, “Not what I was hoping for, though I’m learning you rarely get what you hope for out here so close to the Blight.” She undid her braid and ran her fingers through her hair as she considered what they found on their scouting mission.

“You are right about the Draghkar, but between a handful of archers and channelers, we may be able to make quick work of it. I’d then want to focus on finding the Fade, but we may have to battle through Trollocs first. As for how we tackle the situation. . .ambush might be the right call, but let’s see what the Citadel sends our way first,” Tia explained.

Looking to the fire in the hearth, she couldn’t help but feel the weight of responsibility sitting on her shoulders. She’d made the call that they were going to clean out the Shadowspawn who’d taken up residence so close to the outpost. Chances were good that people would die because of that decision. At the same time, others would certainly die if they did nothing.

Tia Sedai, Sister of the Green Ajah. . .the Battle Ajah. It was these moments her Ajah lived for, but the weight of what she and others would face was not lost on her. Never mind that she was taking a Ji’Val out as her Warder for the mission. While he’d argue he was responsible for her well being, he was still a learning rank, while she was not. . .in that sense, she felt she was responsible for him.

So far, though, Alrim had proven he had a mind for tactics. She intended to put that to good use once the others from the Citadel arrived. Taking in another deep breath she let it out slowly, but offered a warm smile, “For now, though. . .sleep. We’ll want to be well rested when they return. I don’t want to delay in dispatching the Shadowspawn any more than we have to.”

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik