Shadow Scouring [Attn: Roan]

The World outside the Grey Tower is a vast place.
Andy
"A Crown of Swords"
PC: Alrim Farshera Gaidin

Re: Shadow Scouring [Attn: Roan]

Post by Andy » July 14th, 2017, 3:43 pm

He wondered whether kaf was something that you grew accustomed to over time, his own experience of it was that it brought energy but tasted somewhat bitter. Something to take when required but not really to savour. He preferred a good brandy if he had the choice. Though at that moment the idea was stomach turning. He let Tia tell of her love of it and wondered if there were some in their packs. They had been packed by the kitchens after all and Tia was well looked after by them. He made a mental note to check when the time was right.

"I wish we could turn the Blight back and take the fight to it. I hate how it twists what were once beautiful places," he sighed, "but I will settle for helping who I can if it cannot be stopped"

He merely nodded at the details of the journey, it seemed easy enough to achieve so long as nothing unexpected happened. Granted it often did this far north but as they set out on the path they had to travel he fancied he was owed some luck by the Pattern for once. Damned sure had given him enough bad luck recently for it to be unfair if more followed. Still he was vigilant and did his job, keeping his focus upon their surroundings. The air was crisp and he could see his breath steaming around his face as he rode. He turned his head as Tia spoke, noting how being on the journey seemed to make her smile all the broader.

"I can think of no reason why a fighter would not be taught to ride," he reasoned, "even if they don't always get the chance to do so. I learned when I was younger. It was expected, though to be fair I didn't grow up around them as you did. My family owned a couple, mostly for work travel, so I have some experience with them. Would hardly call myself a master though. It was a useful skill and one I revived at the Tower"

"Not sure I know how to use one as a weapon but I can see the gentle part. Most animals are that way, I think. So long as you don't threaten them and treat them right. Sometimes I think what makes dangerous animals dangerous are other people" he mused as he fingered the pommel of his blade and pulled his cloak tighter around him.

"Dogs now, grew up around them. Never used them for fighting but always was thankful of their companionship. Had the ability to cheer you up from the darkest of times," he smiled softly in remembrance, "I assume that you're probably a much better rider than I am"

"Where did you grow up? Hama Valon?" he asked.

The Citadel was fading slowly into the distance as they travelled, still more than visible given its sheer size but as it shrank he felt his shoulders tighten slightly as if in expectation of an oncoming skirmish. What he wouldn't have given to build walls along the roads too, there to be patrolled by an armed force well trained and capable.

"Can't see I have seen many horses outside of the stables. Then again not really spent much time outside except for the Citadel"
~
Arafel Will Rise, Kick Matty's Butt & Be Totally The Most Awesome Land Evar
~

Roan
Non-Channeller Representative
PC: Riahana
SC: Tia Tomosan, Aes Sedai
TC: Paks Liard, Ji'Val

Post by Roan » July 20th, 2017, 3:50 pm

Tia Sedai
“If the horse is trained properly, they can provide an extra level of defense for a rider, kicking out at any who get to close. The key, though, is proper training. A horse meant to pull a carriage or one meant for just riding have the potential to learn, though wouldn’t know how without the training. . .like anything, I guess,” Tia explained.

Reaching down to scratch Storm’s neck, she continued, “Storm was given to me by Miahala Sedai. She owns a horse farm just outside of Hama Valon, and Storm came from there. She made sure she was trained for mounted combat, and then spent time with both of us so that we knew how to get the most out of one another.” Tia couldn’t help the fond smile as she talked about her great memma, “One thing I learned early on. . .the relationship between horse and rider is about trust and companionship. We trust in each other and see one another through whatever we face.”

Tia hesitated, “Well. . .at least that is the way I see it. There are those who consider horses as nothing more than tools. . .a way to get from point A to point B or give advantage in a fight. They care little about the animal’s well being and would run them to the ground if it suited their needs. I am not one of those people, and have little time for someone who has such little respect for another living being.”

Looking over to Alrim, the Aes Sedai gave a wry smile, “If you can’t tell, it is something I feel strongly about. There are those who disagree with me, but I would spare a horse even if ridden by an opposing force.The poor beasts had no choice in the matter whereas their riders chose to support the Shadow.”

The Green Sister scanned the horizon as the pair carried on, “I can’t say I’ve been around dogs much. There were a few in the village Einion, my brother, and I grew up in, which was Duron in Saldaea.” She glanced at Alrim, “I take it from those bells you are from Arafel?”

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » July 20th, 2017, 4:32 pm

"Much like most relationships then" he nodded at her words, "not really much of a relationship without trust. Or spending time together"

Though he didn't show it beyond his smile he was quite impressed with Tia and her beliefs. She clearly was not only a strong person but held things strongly also. A deeper person than immediately apparent. Such people were usually worth the time to get to know them in his experience. That and the fact that she could hold such emotion for what many might call a mere animal had its own charm. He was privately a little less zealous though he agreed with her on the whole. Still, if he had to choose between sacrificing Storm or Tia he knew which he would choose, though he hoped he would not have to.

"Cruelty holds no place in our midst, it tends to breed larger problems. I cannot say that I have the same level of affection for horses as you do but I would not willingly harm them. Would that we did not have to fight the Shadow at all perhaps there would be fewer such occurrences"

He listened as they rode on a little further, wondering whether he could find this Duron on a map. It sounded like it would be a large place, especially if it had a horse farm. Idly he amused himself with the notion of going there by himself to see if he could gain some insight into Tia and her family by seeing instead of being told of. Perhaps one day, he made the mental note. He did chuckle at her comment about the bells though, especially given that he seemed to be the only Arafellin at the Tower who wore them these days.

"Gave me away, did they?" he asked with a shake of his head that caused them to jingle, "yes I am from Arafel though the Grey Tower is my home now. My only home. I lived in a medium holding outside of Shol Arbela, far enough away that it was private"

"Well, there and around about everywhere. Let's just say that I wasn't exactly a dutiful son. The dogs were both upon the holding as guards and every so often I'd see strays. They would come to the fire and I could never say no to giving them food. Like I said, you treat an animal well and they will do the same in kind. Even the wild ones" he shrugged.

"Either way they tell me I'm not the typical Arafellin. Not quite sure what the typical one is but I'm happy enough being different. Bit boring being stuffy and talking about martial tradition and honour and so on," he snorted, "then again everyone at the Grey Tower seems to be different. It seems to change people" he mused aloud., "unless you care to prove me wrong and tell me you are the typical Saldean?"

"Have you been to Arafel?" he tilted his head slightly and looked at her, "Shol Arbela is a beautiful place. I would take you there but I think I'd end up annoying the Master of Training"

The landscape was passing them at a steady pace as their conversation continued, nothing in particular jumping out at him to warn him of any threats. So far things had been quite easy going. He hoped that it stayed that way.

"Perhaps a trade? I would like to visit Saldea one day. I have never been. Maybe one day I'll make a tour of it and go through all four of the Borderlands. How dashing that would be, an adventure across the realms, fighting the Shadow where it was found and bringing safety to the people. And so on, so forth" he just managed to contain his laughter at the end.
~
~

Roan

Post by Roan » July 29th, 2017, 7:30 am

Tia Sedai
Tia laughed softly and shook her head, “I am not sure there is a typical Saldaean, though we are a proud lot. . .as most of us borderlanders tend to be. If anyone were typical, it might be my Memma. . .Miahala Sedai. I am typical for my family, I think, in that none of us fit any mold. We hold to our roots and traditions, though, and I am grateful for it.”

While Tia was an Aes Sedai and not a Gaidin, her mother taught her how to be observant. She and Alrim both seemed to scan their surroundings ever few seconds, never taking any quiet moment for granted. “I have never been to Arafel, and will have to take your word that Shol Arbela is a beautiful place. As for a trade. . .perhaps it could be arranged. I would like to see more of the world, but I also enjoy traveling home to Saldaea. Our family still has a horse farm out there. Part of me wishes I had grown up there, but Duron and the Tower were amazing places for a chil and adolescent.”

Sparing a glance to the Ji’Val, Tia offered a warm smile, “A tour of the borderlands also sounds amazing. I might have to add it to my list of things I hope to do in my lifetime.” The Pattern could be fickle about plans made, but the idea of traveling through each of the borderland nations did sound appealing to the young Aes Sedai. “If the Pattern allows it, I’d find it a most enjoyable adventure.”

Truth be told, most of the traveling Aes Sedai and Asha’man did were often more directed towards tracking down information, following up on trouble or fighting Shadow, so any such adventure would likely be paired with some such mission. Young as she was, Tia was working on building her own Eyes and Ears. She hadn’t ventured too often from the Tower as of yet, though Mia made certain the young woman was not too idle in her free time.

The current trip was one gained during her time at the Citadel, and one she was happy to take on. Time spent at the Citadel was a way to put a bit of distance between her and Jaryd, though she knew she couldn’t avoid him forever. She was careful, though, not to let her thoughts drift towards the Red Asha’man too often. She held no ill-will towards him, but couldn’t deny her own heartache at knowing the depth of his feelings for Jaren.

Looking towards the horizon, the Aes Sedai kept her expression neutral and shifted her thoughts elsewhere. “When we arrive at the outpost, I suggest we find the head of their commander and get as much information from him about the situation as we can,” Tia suggested, changing the subject to the reason behind their trip. They still had a few hours ride ahead of them, but it seemed wise to consider logistics before they arrived.
Spoiler: show
Feel free to post a time jump and have them arrive at the outpost if it feels right in your reply. Sorry for the delay!!

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » July 29th, 2017, 9:11 am

"Ah yes, the Pattern," he shook his head, "I had a conversation with the old M'Hael once about fate and the Pattern. Hurt my head. These days I tend to just try my best, see what happens, but should it be allowed it would be an honour"

They rode in silence for a few moment, each in their own thoughts and each like as not considering what was just over the horizon. He wondered whether channelers would be more inclined to go places if there was more in it for them. It did seem as if all of them only travelled in order to fulfil some purpose, some mission or other. He grinned to himself as he wondered whether he could ever sell threat of death as a reasonable reason to travel. Still, he had Klarick and his merchants and someone, somewhere would one day make use of them. He wasn't stupid, he knew their value, how they heard things.

Though to be fair the old man would decide that, not me. Can't force him to he reasoned as he scanned their surroundings and Tia spoke upon their mission, back to business.

"I asked about him, Commander Sinowa apparently. Ulthwin knows people," he shrugged at her in apology, "decent man, knows his stuff. Bit proud and stuffy. Shienaran you know. I think he'd jump at your help and tell you everything in five minutes, so long as whatever problem we solve he can make it seem as if he played the main part"

He took a few moments to think upon her suggestion and to see if he had any suggestions of his own. He was still new to this sort of environment, still learning in many ways. Tia would take the lead, of course, as was her right. Still he wanted to feel as if he contributed.

"Commanders tend to know what the reports say though, once we've done that I can see if I can talk some of the men around it, hear things that perhaps the official doesn't know or hasn't had reported. Soldiers on the ground tend to know more about actual conditions"

Either way it didn't matter that much, they'd solve the problem either way. The rest of the ride was made alongside a few notes of planning and protocol and some suggestions batted back and forth. It was focused upon the task at hand and by the time that they had fallen silent and the gates were before them they had established a rough idea of what to initially do upon arriving. Of course they both knew it could be shattered by new news or circumstance but a plan, even a small one, made them feel better.

They were passed through the gates quick enough, slamming shut behind them, and made for the stables to hand over care of their mounts.

"So it begins," he sighed as he slipped form the saddle and to the ground, "after you, Tia Sedai"
~
~

Roan

Post by Roan » August 1st, 2017, 1:30 am

Tia Sedai
Tia looked sidelong towards Alrim with a wry smile, “So it begins, indeed.” She pulled off the leather gloves she wore while riding as one of the guards approached them.

“Aes Sedai, Commander Sinowa is waiting for you in his office,” the officer stopped and bowed to Tia and Alrim. “If you will follow me,” he said before turning and heading towards one of the buildings not far from the main gate. The unnamed officer opened the door and stepped aside to let Tia and Alrim enter.

Stepping inside, Tia looked around. The office was a bit crowded with the Commander and three other officers inside. They all leaned over what Tia assumed was the Commander’s desk. When the door closed, the man on the other side of the desk, presumably Commander Sinowa, looked up before nodding to the other three, “We can continue this conversation in the morning. I need to speak with the Aes Sedai and her Warder.”

Tia moved out of the way of the door as the three men, all of whom towered over the young Green Sister, made their exit. Once the door was closed, Sinowa came out from behind his desk, “Aes Sedai...thank you for coming. I am Commander Sinowa.”

“Commander, I am Tia Sedai and this is Ji’Val Alrim. We were told you had some troubles?” Tia replied.

Sinowa nodded and moved back around his desk, motioning Tia and Alrim forward, “We’ve been plagued by what I hope are just bandits targeting merchants or anyone else who they think might have coin.” He pointed to the map, “The majority of the attacks have happened on the path leading out of town towards the northeast. We had one attack on this route here, still to the north. There are some outcrops out that way that could hide someone.

“We don’t have the resources to send a party out to investigate,” he added, and then seemed to hesitate.

Tia tilted her head, “What is it, Commander?”

“On top of not having the resources, I am not entirely sure we are just dealing with bandits. Some of the wounds on the deceased looked. . .beastly,” he finally admitted.

Tia nodded thoughtfully, then looked to Alrim for a moment before looking back to Sinowa, “Do you have a detailed map of the area with the outcrops?”

Sinowa shook his head, “I am afraid not, Aes Sedai.”

“Not to worry. Alrim and I will ride out at first light, and see what we can find,” Tia confirmed. She looked to Alrim, “Is there anything else you think we need to ask the Commander?”

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » August 2nd, 2017, 6:23 pm

This was the strange part, the part where all doors were opened and you were given all of the deference in the land so long as you were what looked like - Grey Tower folk. More specifically Aes Sedai and Warder, they always made that mistake. Alrim never corrected them as he left that for the channeler to do, depending upon their interests and desires, and Tia did so though briefly and matt-of-factly. Either way from the look on their faces, even the ones whom had left, they were not about to turn away help even if it was from a Ji'val alongside green Sister rather than a real Warder.

"Commander" was all he said with a small bow of the head, military minds respected rank and it didn't hurt to give him that at least.

He listened but as the words came out and the situation was explained all he could think of were two things - that is was probably Trollocs but if it wasn't then it was a band of bandits that were damned intent on making sure it looked that way. Beastly...that was usually enough. Still he was there to think of everything and so he knew men were more capable of being monsters than monsters were. He did blink at Tia's question though, she was including him when others of her rank had not and it caught him off guard though he didn't show it for the training.

"You say these attacks are...beastly?"

"Yes, torn up and with bite marks upon them. Some looked like talon scratches I was told. Why?"

"Were the bodies out for long? Could wolves have savaged them perhaps?"

"No, the route has been regularly patrolled until we started losing too many"

"And what about tracks? Do they remember seeing hooves as well as boots?"

"They did, saw both, but might be horses. Can't be sure, the travel leaves marks for a time in this weather"

Alrim nodded and looked at the map with a frown of consideration. His fingertip traced the area and the path and where the commander had indicated.

"Anything else?"

"Possibly. This outcrop you talked about. If I were wanting to sneak up on it where would you suggest I approach from?"

"There's some cover to the east of it I'm told. Not much, not for horses. But if you were on foot...could be done. Wouldn't go any other way, too exposed, Scout Jarric would know more, he knows this land better than anyone"

"Thank you"

He turned to Tia and nodded, he had no other questions and in his experience it was best to discuss plans with just the two of them. He had little trust these days as it was for anyone not directly from the Grey Tower. He'd be damned if he'd have someone overhear and then have a bad day on the morrow. He waited for Tia to take her leave and followed her afterwards, staying uncharacteristically silent whilst they were surrounded by others.
~
~

Roan

Post by Roan » August 6th, 2017, 4:40 pm

Tia Sedai
Tia and Alrim were guided to temporary quarters. Neither Aes Sedai or Ji’Val said anything of substance along the way. Once their guide left them at the doors to their quarters, the pair entered, and Alrim shut the door behind them. Looking around, Tia made sure they were alone before moving to one of two chairs that were set up in front of the fireplace.

They could be dealing with Trollocs or simply bandits. There was no way to know without some other sort of confirmation. If there were people hiding out near the trail, the outcrops would be a logical place to set up camp. Alrim seemed of the same mind as Tia. . .scout the area first before taking action.

Undoing her braid as she sat in front of the fireplace, Tia looked to Alrim, “So it sounds like we can approach from the east with a bit of cover, but only if we’re on foot. I’m wondering if we should leave the horses behind.

“It would be nice if we could get confirmation as to what we are dealing with before taking action,” Tia replied. “Thoughts?”

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » August 6th, 2017, 6:41 pm

It had been a short journey all things told but even so he was glad of a warm fire and four walls holding the cold winds at bay. This far north you were always cold no matter the circumstances, even having been raised in such conditions he felt it. As Tia moved to one of the chairs he knelt and put his hands to the flames and rubbed then together as he listened. She was right, of course, they had little more than they had had before leaving the Citadel behind them.

Things are never easy. One day I will have a strong word with this Creator he told himself with a dark sense of amusement.

"If I were a betting man, and I am, I'd say that Trollocs have probably been through the region at least. Even if they still aren't here. If we are lucky these bandits and Trollocs killed each other. Not that I'd rely upon it" he sighed with satisfaction and closed his eyes as the fire began to warm his face.

He was silent for a time, in both thought and simple enjoyment, before pushing himself up and taking to the chair opposite her. He noted her braid being unwoven and from that presumed that there was no immediate impulse to leave and return back to the wilds. Her hair seemed longer when out of it, a strange thing to think but he had trained himself t notice small things. It was what kept you alive.

"I could scout out by myself, or take a few of the men here with me. It'd be quick and quiet but risky," he offered, "but other than that I can only suggest asking the soldiers who found the bodies. They might know something they weren't willing to report...or were too scared to"

"I agree on the horses though, it'd just risk them without reason and on rocky ground the difference in speed if we have to run won't really count for much. Besides...easier to slit throats if they don't see you coming. So to speak"

"Either way I'd suggest going by dark and being well prepared. What about yourself, Tia?"
~
~

Roan

Post by Roan » August 8th, 2017, 3:33 am

Tia Sedai
“I would agree with the idea of going by dark and being well prepared, but if you think you are going to go without me, then I’d suggest you think again,” Tia replied with a wry smile. “Needless to say, Trollocs wouldn’t be unheard of, and nor would bandits. I doubt we’d get so lucky as to have the two groups take each other out,” she added.

The Green Sister played with her hair as she stared into the fire and considered his words. “It won’t be dark for a couple of hours yet. What do you think about taking a meal with the soldiers who found the body?” She looked to him as she asked the question.

“I’m guessing you probably don’t like the idea of me going out tonight, but if it is Trollocs, having me around...consider it a safety net,” Tia replied with a cheeky grin. “Having said that, if we can get a bit more information on what we’re walking into, then so much the better.” She pulled her hair back and started to braid it again. Her fingers moved deftly, muscle memory guiding the motions.

It didn’t take long before her hair was in a neat and tidy braid, “On top of that, it’s been some time since our last meal.”

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik