Tending The Flames [Marla]

The World outside the Grey Tower is a vast place.
Andy
"A Crown of Swords"
PC: Alrim Farshera Gaidin

Re: Tending The Flames [Marla]

Post by Andy » July 6th, 2017, 4:12 pm

He tried to keep track of how many there were left as his blade flashed this way and that. It was difficult though, especially as he was trying not to get killed as his mount backed up and tried to turn and get away from the filthy beasts. Not to mention the howling of the one he had injured. He batted one blade away to his right and then another to his right and suddenly the howling ceased. Fiona had clearly finished it off, she always knew how to make things a little better. He turned his head quickly and saw that she wasn't about to get attacked. He ducked under a high swing and hacked at the limb as it passed to get a satisfying howl of pain. It merely got louder as he ripped the tip of his blade across the thing's face and it fell backwards.

"How many? How many? Two...three? Missed one" his eyes widened as he noticed the lone one burst forwards towards Fiona and he tried to follow it. He was blocked by the thick arm of the last Trolloc near him, hitting him in the chest to knock him backwards.

He heard the thud of a heavier body just before his own hit the floor, softened somewhat by the fact he was still holding the reins to the protest of his mount. It still knocked the air from his lungs and he knew he'd have bruising. At least he was alive. He scrabbled to grab up his blade once more and heaved himself up by the horse - telling himself to make it up to the animal later. He couldn't let go of it, it'd run off and it would have spelled disaster.

The Trolloc came around to finish him off and was met with the clashing of metal and the hooves of a rearing horse. The hooves caught the thing in the chest as Alrim tried to get out of the way, hitting it with a sickening crunch and all but throwing the thing onto its back. He jumped forwards to drive his blade into the back of its neck. The other injured one was now lying in a pool of blood and was still - Fiona's work too he reasoned. His head whipped this way and that as he searched for more. He thought there were more corpses than he had expected, perhaps another had come out of the darkness and met its fate by arrow head. He dismissed that for now.

No...quiet now...for now he noted as he pulled himself with a slight wince back into the saddle.

"Was that the last of them of are there more out there? Are you alright Fiona?" he asked, concern clear in his voice, "if we can't run we can hide at least. North East is that little cave, might make it" he shrugged his shoulder to test how injured it was - he could move it though it pained him to do so. He could fight through it.

If there were more, and if they were large in number, they had to get somewhere out of the open. Hide away until the wretches passed perhaps. They couldn't fight a decent force alone and they knew it.
~
Arafel Will Rise, Kick Matty's Butt & Be Totally The Most Awesome Land Evar
~

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » July 23rd, 2017, 3:32 pm

"They are gone...I can't....feel any others" Fiona said, her voice tired but her jaw as hard and stubborn as he had ever seen it.

"We aren't staying here then, moving targets are hardest to hit. Dark is bad tot ravel in too. We're going somewhere I know"

"The city would be safer Al-"

"No arguments, I already lost people I cared about not going to lose any others and the city is far"

With that he was back in the saddle, if a bit pained, and they were back upon the path. His eyes were seeking the landmarks he required to get them where he was taking them and soon enough the first one loomed to their right - an old wagon, abandoned and wrecked with moss slowly destroying its frame. He smiled to himself and turned off of the path, there to lead them into the wilderness where they were harder to find. A jagged rock came next, in the shape of twin peaks at its apex and he trued left here and sighted the star grouping he needed, letting it point the way. Soon enough, after a few other landmarks and changes in direction, they found it.

"The cave?"

"That's right, and large enough for many people too. The horses will be safe and if there are any more they will have a hard time taking us. Tunnels go back quite far, never did find out how far even in my fearless years" he told her as he dismounted and hit the ground with a thud.

It was a quick enough job to get all of them into the space within, the mouth narrowing a few feet in before opening into a larger, more rounded structure, much like a room. He looked up and reached for the roof he knew was there, the smooth stone covered with etchings of names and pictures of those who had stayed there over countless years. He walked to the entrance and leaned against it with folded arms, looking out into the gloom to see if he could notice any movement or shadows. He knew that a fire would be easily hidden but he knew enough about Trollocs that they could track scent and it was debatable whether having a fire to blind them if they came would even be useful.

"I could set wards but it would only draw them nearer if they come," Fiona's soft voice came from behind him, "at least we will be dry and I've started a fire"

"Without wood?" he frowned at the darkness.

"There was enough scattered around inside. It will last long enough. Come on, you need rest" she placed her hand upon his shoulder and he let her pull him back in.

"I don't think I will be sleeping, not for a while" he sighed as he walked in to feel the warmth and squat next to flames.

"Did you do all of these?" she asked, gesturing at the carvings.

"I'm not that old," he snorted, "most were here before we even found the place. We added some. I think I recognised some of the name as those of older people, a few are respectable. Some died, or were killed" he told her in a distant tone.

"What about your friends?"

"Get some sleep," he told her gently, "I will keep watch" he stated and suited his words by standing once more and moving back to the cave mouth.

Trollocs here and my family dead. Feels too strange to be coincidence he told himself as she settled himself upon the ground, sword in hand.
~
~

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » July 23rd, 2017, 4:10 pm

True to his word he didn't get any sleep at all throughout the night, taking his vow to not let another die seriously and with a grim, brooding inevitability. He hated the Shadow and now he fought the Shadow. Killed the Shadow. And the Shadow had come home. He would drive them all out for all time if he could but as it was he kept himself going with the mission - finding out what had happened to the Farshera family. Once dawn had fully lit up the world he roused Fiona and they began their journey anew, this time at greater speed with their greater visibility.

Finding the path was easy enough and though he was still tense he relaxed slightly when Fiona told him that she felt no other Shadowspawn in their vicinity. Perhaps, he reasoned to himself, they were the remnant of a raiding party that had been otherwise destroyed. The fact that they turned up around the time of his family's death filled him with an ominous feeling, a deepening pit within his chest that felt too cold to be part of him. The journey was quiet, both of them clearly possessed of their own thoughts and he was too tired for conversation at any rate. Shol Arbela rose before them soon enough and as they approached the gate they tugged down their hoods.

"Welcome home" he muttered to himself as they made their way through the gates and towards The Rose's Thorn, the tavern owned by Klarick, the man who had sent the letter.

He knew that it would be a fractious return, there were still those who would remember him and not in the kindest of ways. The tavern was easy enough to find, he had spent many times there whilst he was till welcome, Klarick was his father's friend after all. Or had been. The journey was uneventful until they had finished stabling their horses and were approaching the doors to the building.

"Alrim Farshera....or should I just say Alrim now....didn't think I'd see you around after you were sent packing," the voice was mocking and the tone laced with fury, "why are you back? Not planning on taking anything else are you?"

"No, those days are over," he froze and then turned to look at the man, "I can't say I'm glad to see you Davikar. But I am not here to fight. I'm here to pay my respects"

"What would you know of respect? You weren't wanted here before and you aren't wanted now. Go back to wherever you came from or you will regret it. You shamed your father so-"

Alrim's sword flew out of its scabbard as the gap closed and the edge of the blade came to rest upon Davikar's throat, his temper barely in check and self-control shot through grief and tiredness.

"Alrim!" Fiona snapped at him, her tone that of a queen now, "release him. Now!"

There were a few heartbeats where he thought he might just slit the man's throat but with gritted teeth he shoved Davikar back and turned, sheathing his blade with an oath. He stormed into the building as he heard the running footsteps of the other man, breathing deeply and fingers clenching and un-clenching. What was more was that he was angry with himself because the bastard had been right. He fought back the tears with rage as he paced back and forth, knowing he had disappointed Fiona now too and hating himself more for that.

"Greetings, greetings!" came the booming voice from the bar, "what can I do for you man? You look troubled"

"How were they killed?" he asked, remembering the face of Klarick though it was more wrinkled and his hair was whiter now.

"What what? I don't know what you-"

"How did they die Karick?" he asked again, this time his voice trembling, losing the battle against the sorrow.

"Alrim lad? Is that you?" the man all but ran around the counter and reached out of him as Alrim's knees wobbled and he heard his heart beat in his ears.

"How did the- how di-die...how" he babbled as it all finally caught up with him.

The last thing he heard before his mind shut down was Fiona calling his name and her footsteps rushing towards the pair of them.
~
~

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » July 23rd, 2017, 5:14 pm

He heard before he saw, a sort of echo inside his skull that told him the outside world was there and about to intrude upon his peace. He was groggy and unsure of what had happened. He didn't open his eyes, instead he went over what he last remembered and it didn't make him any happier. He had threatened an old enemy and after had walked into the tavern...there to...pass out? Had he really done that? As if he hadn't proven how weak he was to begin with. He wondered if it wouldn't have been better to have never woken up, to have just drifted in whatever dreamless existence he had found himself. As the memory of it faded all he could remember was that he had felt nothing and that had been an improvement.

"I don't know lad, it's not like we even know much ourselves. At least they got them, most of them" the voice was distant but getting clearer, Klarick's voice he realised.

How long had he been talking? I wasn't even awake, what's the point? he asked himself as his eyes opened and he sighed.

"Who are you talking about?" he asked as he looked around and found himself in a bed, old wooden beams above him.

"I don't think now's the best time lad, the Lady told me you needed rest. More rest. And by the look of you I'd say you've had more fighting than resting for a while"

"Fiona? Where'd she go? Is she okay?"

"She's fine lad, went to get some things she said. I don't ask what those such as her get up to, bad for business"

"No, I have to get up, supposed to look after her an-"

"Peace lad, you couldn't protect yourself right now. Haven't slept properly in days, injured and had to deal with Trollocs on the way here too"

"She told you?"

"Aye she did, that and more. She was quite angry with you about Davikar but then she doesn't know him like I do. Won't be welcome here again I can tell you that. Your father might as well have been my brother. No one says those things on his behalf, not to anyone leastways his only surviving son"

"I was wrong, he'll try something I'm sure, he-"

"Stop it now. I'll deal with him. And you will rest. I didn't promise Havrick I'd carry out his wishes if he ever died before I did so that they could be ruined"

"What wishes?"

"Tomorrow"

"What happened?"

"Tomorrow lad, I promise. Not now. Too much to get straightened out first. I'll have Beatrice bring you up a meal, and another for your Fiona friend. I do hope you know what you're doing with her and this Grey Tower"

"I...had nowhere else to go. She is a friend, you can trust her"

"Aes Sedai are tricksome lad, but I'll take you on your word. You never lied to me, even if you lied to others"

"I'm sorry about my past, I wanted to come back and show I had changed. I ju-"

"I know lad, I know. But you'll be with us for a while. We can talk about it all the next few days. For now....well I'm glad you're alive and you woke up again. Was worried you might not. Seen it before"

"I only passed out"

"No lad...sometimes people just give up. Glad to see some Farshera stubbornness still lives"

With that the man was gone, door closing and within a score of minutes a tray came up with two helped plates and steaming bowls. Alrim pushed himself up, thanked the serving girl and heard his stomach rumble deeply. Thinking back he wasn't sure when he had eaten last, not properly anyway. Klarick and Fiona were right, he had spent too much time fighting and drinking. None looking after himself. It shamed him but then perhaps he needed that shame to force him to make wiser decisions. He tucked into the broth first and wondered how he could apologise to Fiona.
~
~

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » July 24th, 2017, 4:10 pm

Sunrise came too slowly for Alrim, especially given that he had been told in a matter-of-fact tone that he had slept for over a day and that if he didn't take better care of himself then he'd find himself having the care forced upon him like a child. It hadn't been said with a smile so he was doubly aware that it was a dangerous warning, women smiling like Fiona had were creatures to be wary of, he knew that much. Still he had been irritable, lost in the middle distance between the past and the future he knew would give him answers. He was not good at being inactive at the best of times but a mixture or nerves, anger and sorrow had made it impossible to sleep.

As such he had quietly slipped out of his room and out of the back door, making sure that no one saw him - or at least no one who knew him. A tavern was a hard place to keep empty of people, especially in the evening but he had found a somewhat quiet place atop the roofing of the stables, there staring into the sky with his ankles hooked around the beams he could almost believe he was ten years younger with nothing but hopes ahead of him. He had taken his sword, of course, but he expected no fighting this evening. He would be unlucky if her were found at all.

"Thought you might be here lad" Klarick's amused voice came from his left, the man's head peeking over the edge to look at him.

"How did you find me?"

"You don't remember? Used to spend some time up there years back. Yu and a few others. Broke the beams more than once I seem to recall. Come down before you do it again, you're not lighter these days"

"I just...wanted to be alone"

"Think that'll help?"

"No" he stated after a long silence before sighing and shifting to make his way off of the roof.

"You know what I did when I found out Alrim?"

"Don't know..."

"I got angry. So angry I marched up to the guards and shouted until they sent out their lads. Killed a lot of Trolloc, not all. Heard you finished off some more the other day too. Good"

"Yes, I....I was too. I think I probably hurt more people when I found out than before or after. And let them hurt me. Fighting ring..." he trailed off and shrugged, it wasn't his proudest memory.

"And then lad, then I was sad. Not losing some coin sad. I'm talking deep, dark, pit in your chest sad. Still am, probably will be rest of my life"

Alrim didn't speak, he merely nodded and brushed his forearm across his eyes to wipe away the beginnings of his own sorrow. There were no words for what had happened. They wouldn't bring anything back, wouldn't mend anything. He could never win back his father or prove to his mother he was not a complete failure. He would never see his sisters married or their children, or keep their husbands in line if they ever dared to even think about straying.

"I drank for a week until the lasses forced me into a tub of cold water and gave me a good talking too that felt like they had slapped me I can tell you. And I realised that there was no point in being stupid. It won't change anything but what is now. So you lad, need to stop being stupid. You are a Farshera. They are many things but stupid isn't one of them" he turned and fixed Alrim with a firm, hard look, "understand?"

"What is this about Klarick? Just come out with it and tell me. I'm too tired to keep up games. You told me they were killed so why not just say it"

"See, thing is lad...and mind what I just said now...they are gone. I;m sorry lad, all of them. Bu"

"But? There's a but?"

"We found all of them, blood everywhere and...well...all of them. Except one"

"What?!" Alrim hissed at the man.

"Now now lad! Calm down, I told you you aren't stupid"

"Who?"

"Alyssia"

Alrim went to make for his horse but found himself blocked off by an invisible barrier. Stumbling back and trying to step around it he found another and then another, keeping him where he was, a box a few feet by a few feet. He hammered upon it as if trying to break it before falling back into the one behind him and springing forwards. It was useless, he found, he wasn't going anywhere. He breathed hard and knew who it was that was stopping him. He glared at Klarick.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Don't be a fool! No body doesn't mean alive and you know what happens to the captives. If I told you you'd be off after whatever trial still remains, if any, and you'd end up dead. A fine end to things that would be"

"You had no right! No right!"

"Your father gave me every right! Don't you think I wanted to get revenge, I told you what I did. It changed nothing"

"No...I won't let her...no. No!" he hammered upon the barrier until he was too tired and his hand was too bruised, breathing ragged as he fell to his knees in tears.

Captives were taken to the forge, he knew. There to become tools for the creation of those black blades. The Fades. It was worse than death.

"Alrim...you must listen, now. There is nothing you can do for her, she is already dead. The raid happened weeks ago, it took that long for my letter to reach you. You must understand. In your father's last wishes he had a note for me if I survived him. It was to bring you home and make sure you were kept safe, looked after"

"Doesn't matter anymore" he muttered, almost to himself.

"It mattered to him. Stop this lad, it's time to live, not die"
~
~

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » July 24th, 2017, 4:50 pm

"For what? They're dead Klarick," he managed after a while, "and I was warned. The damned test in that bloody Tower. Should have listened, should have come back. Now I can't"

"If you'd have come back you'd be dead too. Don't care how tough Warders are they don't beat whole raiding parties alone"

"Not a Warder"

"Then even less chance. Look, I don't know what this vision was but nothing would have stopped it. Took everyone by surprise and yours wasn't the only family killed off before it was put down. Trollocs like killing lad, you know that well as I. But....I do have something for you to live for?"

"What?" he almost spat the world.

"Stop acting like a child, get inside and I'll show you. Or you can run off and get killed for nothing. Your choice"

And with that Klarick was heading inside and Alrim found himself left with the same choice he had found himself in when the Test had been running. Only this time there were no orders, no Bonds and definitely no chains to bind him. He felt out gingerly and found the barriers gone, he could leave if he wished the man had spoken true. He guessed Fiona was just inside the door, or had been, to pull the stunt off. Smart, he'd have said something he'd had regretted most likely. He wasn't the most stable at the best of times. As in the Test his fists clenched tightly and he felt something go still around him, as if the Pattern were waiting for his decision.

I could leave, they'd never find me anyway....but then I'd have nowhere. Nothing. No one. But I'd have revenge.....would it be worth it? Yes, no, maybe. Or....could always get it later if I want....nothing to stop me leaving Ravak had said... he went around inside his own head before grunting and pushing himself up, heading for the door even if it was begrudgingly.

"That's my boy!" Klarick clapped him on the shoulder as he stepped across the threshold and made him stumble slightly, "follow me lad"

He led both Alrim and Fiona to a side room where a fire was roaring and there were various documents spread across the table in the middle of the room. Alrim looked at Klarick who gestured to the seat in front of the parchment and bade him to sit, which he did if with hesitation. What could documents give him?

"Read"

"What is this Klarick?"

"Just....read"

He sighed, looked at Fiona who nodded, and picked up the first piece of parchment. He read it slowly at first but got faster towards the end. He eyed Klarick suspiciously as the man sat down opposite him and gave him another one to read through. He did and then he read the next one until he had read them all. He wasn't sure how much time had passed by the end but his eyes burned and not just with tiredness, drops were scattered here and there to make the parchment dampen for a time.

"I don't understand" he whispered when he was finished, placing the last piece down carefully.

"It's all there lad, what's not to understand"

"But...he sent me away. Told me not to return. Said I wasn't wanted, could never be what he wanted"

"Words...and anger...they have a way of fading with time and age lad"

"No! He said I was owed nothing! He told me"

"Perhaps it was what you needed to hear...then. And now this is what you need to hear now. Everything Alrim, all left to you. Well to his children but....well...."

"But...it doesn't make any...why?"

"Because you were his son and you don't stop loving your children. Even if you think they're idiots. Which you were, by the way. Now....not so much Lady Fiona tells me. Though to be honest I am not sure you are ready just"

"But I thought you said it was left to me and my sis-"

"Not quite. If you were the only survivor then I would hold it in trust until you returned and were...well...grown up enough to deserve it quite frankly. Lady Fiona tells me you still have things to finish at this Grey Tower of yours. And your head isn't the clearest right now. Not sure mine is either but I'm older than you and not about to get myself killed"

"Your father loved you and those letters he got tell you he was asking after you with old friends. He was happy to see you become more of a man. Take that...we can talk about the rest another time. For now, don't know about you, but I could do with a drink.

Alrim was in shock, there were no tears left now but he knew the precious gift he had been given. In part of in full it didn't matter. He felt sure that he would take a long time to process what had been discovered in but a few days but time he had, for now. The war with the Shadow could wait.

"I could do with ten" he told them and Klarick barked a laugh and pulled him towards the door.
~
~

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik