Head in the Clouds [Attn: Soldier Taesh Durlaen]

The World outside the Grey Tower is a vast place.
Sean
"A Crown of Swords"
PC: Valadin Manelle

Re: Head in the Clouds [Attn: Soldier Taesh Durlaen]

Post by Sean » May 4th, 2016, 8:48 pm

Chapter Two: Raw Breath of Danger
The Soldier showed an intuitive affinity with Flows of Air, mimicking the simple Weave with uncanny accuracy. Val found that watching the Flows of Power stream out from Taesh’s being and then form to the Seafolk’s will helped dispel a few of the misgivings he’d initially had. With the Green Ajah in its current state…talented Soldiers were a rare commodity and the Battle Ajah would be the vital vanguard on the day of the Last Battle.

Does it even matter anymore?

The question startled him though the outward appearance of poise remained convincing enough. Holding fast to Saidin—and ignoring the desperation in the action—Valadin drew deeply of the Power. Ice-fire seared and chilled his insides churning the storm within into frenzy. Matching the vastness of the ocean Saidin had no end, yet Val knew that his body could only manage a thimble’s worth of its power. Even in acknowledging his weakness he Wove thick Flows of Air, easily wrapping and binding the Weave until as many three separate whips were formed. Sweat beaded his brow as maintaining each Weave was many times more difficult than controlling only one. “In time,” he grunted; face showing signs of strain now, “you will become capable of this.”

A cascade of water washed over the stone harbor, nearly drenching both men in the process. The triplet Weaves bit into the ocean’s surface making an unmistakable impression in the waves. Breathing heavily after the exertion Val offered a genuine smile to the Soldier, one of the few that had been shared with anyone save Nykk, “There’s nothing wrong with testing your own strength a bit,” he panted.

The day was still young, the sun overhead barely completing half its passage. Midday saw the crowd at the other end of the pier taper leaving Val and Taesh relatively alone. A few stragglers—the poor and the unfortunate—moped about, but never long enough to warrant attention. Emboldened by the newfound privacy Val gathered himself to demonstrate another Weave, but was paused when a young man approached them.

She kempt and carried herself respectfully though the rouge of her cheeks implied that a previous venture might have provided amusement than was intended. Recognizing her as one of the eyes-and-ears, Valadin nodded curtly as she sat down at the quayside placing enough distance between the men to appear unassociated with them, yet close enough that conversation needn’t be shouted. “Your business is concluded then,” Val growled, his mood fouled by the intrusion.

If the young woman took offensive she gave no sign of it. Instead she offered a genial smile as she turned toward them, her expression warm while the dimples in her cheek made perfect indentations on her skin; all of it was a flawless charade. “We may need to leave in a hurry. Seems one of our deals didn’t go as planned.”

The statement needed little explanation, but Val wanted a clearer explanation of what exactly hadn’t gone as planned. They’d come with no weapons, but as an Asha’man this meant little. Bearing a sword at all times was more a practice in foolishness when a thought would suffice to part a man’s head from his shoulders. Nodding assent slowly he tapped Taesh on the arm and gestured that they begin making their way back towards the square. The girl gave a delightful smile and waved farewell, but the seriousness of her face when she turned away did not go without notice.

“Soldier, stay close and…” Val began to say, but broke off as the march of a host of boots announced more news arrivals. Blood and ashes… he swore at the sight of the citizen soldiers, truncheons loose and ready.

“Ho, there,” said the first to come upon them. He was a shifty fellow whose guardsman uniform hung loosely on his gaunt frame. Old Saml would have spat and forbade the lout from setting foot inside the Dancing Cartman on account of having the look of a cutpurse. Valadin found that in this instance he shared the same sentiment with this former employer. “There are a few folks saying they saw you two an’ some others come in town. Had the look o’ trouble on you they said. We’ve had a few trouble starters try an’ upset things here an’ we’ll have to ask ya to come with us.”

Without meaning to, Valadin’s hand searched for a sword that wasn’t at his hip. As one the watch moved to encircle both he and Taesh.

“He was reachin’ for a weapon!” a deeper voice than the first man called out. The others replied in a cacophony of insults and demands. To Val they had already faded from thought as the Fury sluiced through his veins, liberating him from the need to think of what to do next. A part of him felt apologetic that Durlaen was involved in this mess. Whatever his airs, the lad was a good sort. Another corpse to lay at the pyre.

Hands at his sides, Val felt the flames within boil his insides; he had been aching for a fight earlier. Unable to decide if it was providence or misfortunate he readied to give over to the Fury.

The Pattern weaves in strange ways.
Note: Feel free to diffuse the situation…this could get pretty chaotic shortly.

Kenneth
"Lord of Chaos"
PC: Taesh Durlaen, Head Clerk
SC: Avairyana Borelle, Novice

Post by Kenneth » May 5th, 2016, 3:51 am

Taesh had no idea how things had gone so sour so quickly, but they did. This storm just came out of no where the Soldier thought in regards to the current predicament. The eyes-and-ears they had come with would be little help in this situation, the could not afford to reveal themselves and ruin the Blue's network in the area. He also knew that if push came to shove Valadin could protect himself, but Taesh did not want things to come to that point. It also would not bode well for the reputation of the Grey Tower to have an Asha'man wielding the One Power against a bunch of obnoxious guards. So, Taesh did what he did best, he made efforts to calm the waters. He moved forward, placing a hand on his teachers shoulder, giving him an imploring look before placing himself between Valadin and the guards, a bright and genuine smile on his face.

"Whoa there gents," he said, his voice filled with humor. "I believe we have just the slightest bit of miscommunication sirs. My friend and I are not here to stir up any trouble for you or your town. Allow me to introduce myself, you may call me Yeulin din Hurnet of the Swift Gull" Taesh said, giving the name and ship of a lad who had went to his death beneath the waves a year before the saidin channeling Soldier came to the Tower. He noted the look of surprise on the guards faces, there were no Atha'an Miere ships at port, and you usually did not find one of the Seafolk too far from their ship.

He nodded, acknowledging their surprise, chuckling. "Yes I know, a Seafolk with no ship, sad that. Unfortunately I had the misfortune to be born without sea-legs, the rolling of the waves, it just does something to me." As Taesh spoke, his mind was racing over what he had learned from his father, and also what he had been taught in Mirin Sedai's class on persuasion. "So I walk, check out the ports, test the waters, and such. That's what we're doing here."

Taesh felt that there was a relaxing of the energy of the group, but the potential for disaster was still there, and so he pulled out his personal weapon to diffuse situations, laughter. "I do apologize about my friend here. Well really acquaintance to be honest, he is a bit wound up. All this walking from port to port, it's been some time since he has been with someone, if you know what I mean" and Taesh finished the comment with a gesture involving a rigid forearm that sent the gathering laughing. "The sword he was going for would cause you no great harm, until you turned your back" he finished, smiling in satisfaction as the men doubled over in laughter. He didn't look to Valadin Asha'man, not know how the Green would react, but at least he had diffused the air. He had no idea what the Tower rules were on a Soldier creating humor at the expense of an Asha'man, and he really didn't care. All the dark-skinned Soldier was concerned about was convincing these guards that he and Valadin were no threat, and to let them go about their business.

When the laughing subsided he saw that most of the the threat had left the eyes of the guards, but still Taesh recognized that they were not quite out of the storm yet. He still had to convince the shifty-eyed leader to let them be on their way. He could appeal to their higher morals, but he doubted the group had any. They had the look of guards who would just as soon take a bribe than do their job, yet he had no coin with which to tempt them. But perhaps I can convince them that actually doing their job would be too much of a hassle Taesh thought.

"Now gentlemen, I know there have been troublemakers in the past, but we are not them. If I can be honest we only came out this far for a little dip. Feeling a deck move beneath my feet might have me feeling some type of way, but I still like the feel of nice ocean water on the skin. Had to come out here though, what with my acquaintances problem," he paused for the snickers. "Didn't want to be offending anyone and all. But if we must go with you, well then that's what we will do. I'm sure it will take, just a few hours to straighten this all out? The taverns should still be serving all the good stuff when we get done, hopefully. What all do you need from us to get this straight? I hope not much. I'd hate to be putting you through all this just for a sea-loving shore-bound Seafolk trader and his too ready friend" Taesh said, his voice colored with a tone of pity for all that guards must endure. Use emotion purposefully the young Soldier said to himself, repeating one of the lessons the Mirin Sedai had taught him.

He saw their faces contemplating, the looked at one another weighing the options, and Taesh smiled, a genuine smile. Not for their plight, but a smile filled with pride for himself. He felt that he had done a good job in changing the current of the situation, and hoped that it would work. He felt an eve greater sense of accomplishment that he had not truly lied to calm the situation, just bent the truth and left much up to interpretation. Both his father and Mirin Sedai had taught that outright lying really had no place in persuasion, and you made a better case with the truth, or a version of it. He looked back at the group as they contemplated, smiling in satisfaction as he saw them looking up at the sun, and back towards the town, presumably towards the taverns.
"Reflected in the calm waters is the peace we all desire" Taesh Durlaen Taesh's Tracker

Sean
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Sean » May 5th, 2016, 2:48 pm

An inveterate chuckle rolled through the circle of citizen guards, the open hostility mollified by Durlaen’s easygoing manner. Valadin remained on the edge of violence his breathing slow despite his racing heart.

To the Soldier’s credit it seemed that they would avoid arrest through diplomacy. An incident now would risk their allies elsewhere and Asha’man or no, Val had no desire to meet the Master of Soldier’s ire when word of his actions reached the Tower.

“I suppose t’aint worth the trouble tussling these two…” one of the watch declared after the round of mirth had died down.

“Aye, I take no pleasure in having to guard a man’s cell while having to watch my backside as well.”

At this another fit of laughter erupted, encouraged by Taesh’s infectious smile. For Val, the insult meant little. Pleasure slaves knew neither shame nor dignity; only fortune had made it possible that he had never needed to endure the very thing these men casually jested about. If anything it only enflamed the desire to break their faces and anger was enough to keep him strong.

Where most were laughing, it was the first man that had spoken that remained somber. Cudgel still loose, the man’s rat-faced visage cast about suspiciously, nostrils flaring like the rodent he so strikingly resembled. That one won’t be taken in with good humor, Val realized. Truly it was a shame. Durlaen had done well. At least he can talk his way out of a fight.

“Ya ox-brain lickwits! Dun matter who they fancy, we have orders! Questioning for them both an’ bring the lass o’er there too! We’ll have the Commandant judge their innocence.”

At the callow reminder of duty the kinship that had present moments ago evaporated. Fear and resolve of self-preservation clouded the watch’s eyes. It was what men did when they engaged in actions there were unspeakably lacking in honor or rightness. They distanced themselves and justified the horrors committed later. Valadin had seen it many times in the faces of ‘clients’ Master had him treat. Humans were cruel by nature. The semblance of civility was and always had been mankind’s greatest lie.

Val struck first, an unhesitant blow to the underside of the nearest man’s chin. The fellow staggered back into his mates as shock of the sudden retaliation rippled through the guard’s ranks. “Go! Take the girl!” he shouted to Taesh while already barreling through the line of guards blocking their escape towards the pier.

Someone managed to get clip Val in their flight, but already the Fury dulled the pain. Now only the pounding of blood and the song of battle hammered in his ears. He barely heard himself growl to Durlaen to head to make for the town square. Behind them the watch was rallying.

The urge to fight was strong. Every breath was filled with murderous intent. Go back. Why are you running? This is what you wanted, a part of him whispered giving voice to the desires better left unsaid.

The girl fell in step with them as they raced towards the busy end of the pier. Hopefully in the throng of people they would be able to lose their pursuers. If not Valadin would gladly meet his fate fighting to a glorious end. The Seanchan would know the weight of one man’s wroth.

Kenneth
"Lord of Chaos"

Post by Kenneth » May 6th, 2016, 7:31 pm

“Go! Take the girl!”

Taesh did as he was told, no questioning. He knew that if things came to a confrontation, his very life could depend on following Valadin Asha'man's orders; and the Atha'an Miere had no desire to be laid to rest beneath the waves anytime soon. So he grabbed the woman's hands and rushed toward the pier, following the Green Asha'man. Everything had happened so fast that the Soldier was still reeling from how quickly the mellow mood had turned. He thought he'd had everything in hand, the guards seemed ready to move on, but somehow that had shifted.

The dark-skinned channelers mind was racing through his lessons from both Cargomaster father and Mirin Sedai on how this could be turned around, but he could no focus. Taesh was sure if he wasn't currently running to elude capture he would be able to think of how to stall this squall, but the physical demands of keeping pace and evading the pursuers was clouding his thinking. He could only hope that Valadin had a plan, and as the approached the pier the Soldier caught on to at least part of it.

Use the crowd he thought to himself.

As soon as he could he separated from both Valadin and the female eyes-and-ears, but kept them both within is sights. He slowed as he moved through the crowd, trying to look like he was in no hurry but still had someplace to be. Every now and then he would laugh at an overhead conversation, making it seem as if he belonged in this crowd. Still, he clothes made him stand out, the bright colors acting as a signal fire for all to see. So, the Atha'an Miere ducked behind a barrel, stripped down to just his pants and picked up the barrel. No on questioned a deckhand lugging cargo, because they never knew who the deckhand was working for. A lord or lady would not take kindly to their schedule being thrown off, and soldiers all the more so. No one wanted to risk the ire of an unknown patron, so deckhands with cargo were left mostly to themselves. His father had taught him that long ago, when he wanted something secret delivered to a secretive customer.

So the Seafolk Soldier lumbered on with his barrel full of own goods, pickled something by the smell of it, toward wherever it was that the Green Asha'man was leading. Taesh kept his eye on the eyes-and-ears, knowing that Valadin was quite capable of taking care of himself. He caught her attention, and motioned with his head for her to keep pace, as they both made their way to where hopefully they would all be clear and ready to go.
"Reflected in the calm waters is the peace we all desire" Taesh Durlaen Taesh's Tracker

Sean
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Sean » May 9th, 2016, 3:36 pm

OOC: Crud, didn’t know you were going for Dedicated so soon…to be expected given you had the reqs done, but we’d have hammered through this faster if that was the case. Anyway congratulations, sir! We’ll pick up the pace then for this thread if that’s cool with you.
Blood pounded in Val’s veins as he slowed to join the swell of the crowd. Even if it had been a brief exchange, getting into a row had been a much needed awakening from the mundane humdrum of an otherwise sedentary mission. Making his way past two young men, he picked out Durlaen and the woman agent. The Soldier had already stripped to his bare waist exposing the willowy leanness born from a life spent laboring on a sea vessel. Dockhand? Good disguise as any.

Leaving town was the only course left to them. Risking capture of himself was one thing and the eyes-and-ears knew their costs of their responsibilities, but losing a Soldier to the Seanchan was not casualty that Val was willing to accept. Commotion broke out at the end of the square where they’d come from—the citizen soldiers no doubt. Fortunately the Pattern had weaved their way allowing their head start to grow due to the guards pausing to rally a search party before coming after the escaped criminals. Now the leisurely life enjoyed by those of Toman Head worked against them as citizens were slow to react to the bellowing guards who thrashed any too slow to move from their path, but to no avail.

A portly merchant with robes of muslin swaying in the sea breeze plied his trade as Valadin passed by. As it were the man made his earning by supplying pearls from the Aryth and seemed to do well in it too. “Finest gems in all the land! Enough to make the Andoran Crown jealous! It’ll take your breath and leave those you gift it to forever indebted to you! Come! Come, see the glories of this age!”

Val lost sight of Taesh, but hoped that the young man had been tracking him as he spotted before shaded store front.

“There’s a woman who’s heart I cannot live without,” Val said, voice hard and flat despite the words. The Oaths bound him as one of the Oathsworn, but the statement held no dishonesty even if the subject’s relevance might have been misleading. Already spinning tales like an Aes Sedai. Funny how you thought yourself beyond that. “My heart can only beat for her; do you know my meaning?”

As with any good entertainer, the merchant knew when to express sympathy at all the appropriate times, his fleshy jowls detracting little from meticulous process of luring a customer. Any other time, Val would have enjoyed mashing the man’s head with the butt end of a sword hilt. Aware that ruckus was drawing closer, he pressed the merchant.

“Do you have any other wares? I have the coin.”

At this the trader grew wary, the astute detection of misdirection slanting his eyes suspiciously for the space of a breath before the empathetic dealer returned. Bowing and nodding he gestured to Valadin to follow him inside the shop.

Once beyond the doorway, the reason for the merchants willingness to acquiesce to the rather feeble attempt at maneuvering became clear. Two men, thick of thew, waited near the far back of the one room building. No light streamed from the outside though a current of air flowed in from above. Deeming it fitting to relinquish the façade, Valadin openly assessed the men with a warrior’s eye. Veterans, both of them, armed with cavalry sabers; odd choice while not fighting on foot, but a weapon was as effective as the man wielding it. Judging the litany of scars marking each man even a butcher’s knife would prove deadly in the hands of either fellow.

“I’m not sure I like your service,” Val said hands dangling at his sides. Saidin roared insides as he took the Power in hand and reveled in the splendid vigor that flowed through him, nourishing every corner of his being. “Perhaps closing for the day and considering friendlier approach would be prudent.”

“Indeed,” the fat man sneered. The merchant’s sellswords rushed forward, their step efficient and crude, taking no more space than was needed to bring them within striking distance. Had Val been fighting with weapons things might have been difficult.

Twin clubs of Air struck both men squarely in the chest sending their large bodies sailing before abruptly being grounded by the back wall. The simultaneous thumps as the ‘help’ hit the floor whitened in the merchant’s pallor even further. With the threats dispatched hopefully the Soldier would know follow him in without giving away their location.

Kenneth
"Lord of Chaos"

Post by Kenneth » May 9th, 2016, 7:35 pm

OOC: Thanks, but there's no real rush. This is my last thread as a Soldier, I'm still plotting the Dedicated scheme of things
That Asha'man might've lost sight of the Soldier, but Taesh had keep Valadin well within his line of sight. The Atha'an Miere saw the Asha'man of the Green Ajah enter into the merchants store, and waited, to make sure that the female eyes-and-ears was safe. He heard the commotion at the beginning of the pier, but the young Soldier was not too worried. City Guards would be hard pressed to bring order and demand searches on a pier full of traders and merchants. Even the ships belonging to the highest echelons of the nobility had wares they would rather keep unnoticed, so no one was making much of an effort to discover the wanted parties.

Taesh leaned against the barrel he had procured, looking much like a deckhand waiting for instruction. He smiled at a few of the passerby's, and laughed when the pampered daughter of a noble house intentionally brushed against him. Another time he might have teased the girl, flirted with her knowing he had no real desire, but not today. She pouted at him, a sultry simper, but he only smiled and shook his head. He could not afford the distraction, not when he and the rest of the group from the Grey Tower were not yet out of choppy water.

Deciding that Valadin Asha'man had been in the merchants shop long enough, the dark-skinned channeler pushed off of the barrel filled with pickled something, and walked toward the shop. His eyes made contact quickly with the young woman, and he indicated through looks and nodding that he wanted her to stay close. He then adopted the look he had seen on many of the deckhands faces before, irritation at waiting for orders and impatience to be back on the ship. He entered the shop, and quickly closed the door behind him. Slumped against the back wall were two rather large men, both clearly unconscious. And there was the merchant, looking like all the color had been drained from his skin. The Atha'an Miere looked toward his Green superior, a look of fear overtaking his features.

Is this what it means to be Green? Always reacting with force? the peaceful Soldier thought to himself.

Aloud he only cleared his throat, afraid to speak or touch the battle-ready Asha'man. The storm that was saidin wailed inside him, in response to the experienced channeler having embraced and used the source. Still Taesh dared not embrace it himself, not knowing how Valadin might respond.

Sean
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Sean » May 10th, 2016, 3:50 pm

The Fury howled with ecstasy, its reverberating cries blotting out everything else. Reason held no place in this red-tinged world and the Void—the epicenter of serenity and focus—crumbled against the railing weight of accumulated indignation of years past. Dimly aware that the merchant had taken hold of a fallen sword and directed its point in his direction, Valadin nearly relinquished his final bead of control to Saidin…to the Fury…to the real him.

Light flooded into the room briefly and the following cough whirled Val around, his eyes wild as they fell upon Durlaen. The Soldier’s expression was noticed first. Usually there a twinkle of clear amusement in the Seafolk lad’s eyes as though privy to a joke no one else could hear. Now only fear and uncertainty lurked where once even at the worst of times was a reluctant respect for rank. In that tremulous moment a thought swam up from the blackest depths of his soul, an idea that sounded so sweet at the time: They’re all your enemy. Fight them.

The aching desire to acquiesce to the impulse, to cease resisting the base instincts that craved release was so great Val shuddered from head to foot.

Time passed in heartbeats after that, the rhythm of his blood pumping slowly mollifying the savagery within. It was the woman who moved first, her steps tentative as she stepped past Valadin. Everything was at the edge of his thoughts as the world returned to its natural colors. Even Saidin was released lest it instigate another frenzy.

“They’re not dead,” the woman declared. “Thank the Creator.”

Val looked to Taesh, held the Soldier’s gaze for a moment, before turning to find the merchant pressed in a corner, weapon trembling in hand. The young woman rose to her feet having checked the vitals of both guards, yet did not approach Val, her look wary as she regarded him. “What happened?” Val asked. His words came out in an unintentional growl, but there was no time for niceties.

“It would appear the Deathwatch Guard has captured one of us.”

At the revelation all anger bled from Val, leaving him confused for all he managed to keep a stern expression. Though he knew nothing of their culture, all reports had indicated the Ever Victorious army had an elite division, the Deathwatch guard, who served only the Empress herself and were a great military power.

Despite himself, curiosity posed the question of how he’d fare against an elite soldier. Find out, came an answering thought. “Then we leave,” Val replied after a long silence.

“Y-y-you won’t escape,” stammered the merchant. “The people are happy here. You are all the threat to peace. No one asks you to come and interfere…with your evil.”Despite the obvious terror gripping the portly fellow the bravery displayed as he spat on the ground in disgust warranted a little respect. “You cannot defeat the Empress…”

Whatever remained of the statement trailed off into a whimpering whine as Valadin approached the merchant, but before he could drew near the woman barred his path. “Asha’man, we cannot simply leave. The others must be gathered.”

“If they cannot escape then it was the weave of the Pattern. We’re no fighting force,” he explained harshly, some vestige of anger coming back to his voice, “…and I will not risk a Soldier when the Last Battle is near.”

“You risk more than…”

“Do as you see fit. After all you are in service to whatever Brother or Sister employed you.”

Exasperated the woman glanced towards Durlaen with a meaningful gleam in her eyes. Firmly—firmer than he’d meant to—Val grabbed her shoulder and whirled her to face him. “Do not look to him. You wish to risk yourself then do so, but that man is in service to the Grey Tower. Not to your sense of brotherhood.”

Wincing as she broke away, the eyes-and-ears woman said nothing as she set to work checking the still-unconscious guards for weapons. An admirable if not foolish endeavor if Val was any judge. Turning to the slumped merchant, Val held out his hand, “Your sword,” he said softly. His resolve had recovered from the fracturing suffering during…the episode. “In exchange for your life you’ll give me your sword,”

As the hilt was placed in his hand, Val began turning his mind to their options of escape.
Note: This is where Taesh would need to exercise some persuasive influence either on Val or the agent. Both are hard roads with merits so his voice would be the tie breaker. If you have questions just shoot me a PM.

Kenneth
"Lord of Chaos"

Post by Kenneth » May 10th, 2016, 4:47 pm

The dark-skinned Soldier released a pent up breath once the Asha'man retreated from the killing edge that was in his eyes. Taesh had never seen anyone with that particular look in their eyes, not even a Wavemistress doling out punishment. There was something scary about the way Valadin Asha'man seemed so ready to kill, almost eager for it. But the moment had passed, and so Taesh released most of his anxiety, yet he was still wary around his superior.

He listened to the exchange between the Asha'man and the eyes-and-ears, and said nothing at first. He had never heard of this Deathwatch Guard, but if the name was any indication, they were not your normal City Watch. That someone had been captured by them did not bode well for their health and longevity, and the Atha'an Miere felt a degree of pity and regret for that person, even if he knew them not. He heard the pleading in the woman's voice, and the finality in Valadin's. They both made valid points, but to the young Soldier there was a sense of failure to just leaving the others to their Fate. It was the desperation, the implore for help in the eyes-and-ears eye's the finally swayed him.

Taesh took a deep breath, calming the anxiety that was still in him down, and then spoke to the Asha'man of the Green Ajah.

"Valadin Asha'man," he began, slowly looking the other wielder of saidin in the eyes. "forgive me for questioning your decision, I will do whatever penance you see fit; but I do not think we should leave." Taesh saw the woman stand up from her rummaging through the belongs of the unconscious men, and she made as if she was going to come by his side. He looked at her and then held up a hand, he needed to speak for himself, in his own authority.

"You are right when you say that my duty is to the Tower. All of the Tower and not just those of us who can channel. These people, they came here on a mission for the Tower, and so my, and your duty extends to them. If it did not, we would not have been asked to accompany them. You don't send a ship into a storm for cargo that is worthless. The Tower has deemed them necessary, we have duty to do the same."

There was an awakening in Taesh, one that was increasingly overshadowing the Soldiers fear of penance and repercussion. He believed that the Tower had a duty to the eyes-and-ears, and so found his voice in speaking on their behalf.

"We cannot leave them to make their own way, anymore than you could leave me. Does not Asha'man mean guardian? Who else are we to guard if not those who cannot do it themselves? What will happen if we leave them to this Empress and the Deathwatch Guard? Just their deaths? I believe it will be more than that Valadin Asha'man. What will happen when word spreads among those employed by the Tower that an Asha'man left many to their doom? They may believe that we, those capable of touching the One Power, do not care about those who cannot. They will think they are only tools to be used. How reliable can a network of people be if they had no trust for the very Tower that they put themselves at risk for? We must stay Asha'man, and help in whatever way we can."

Now Taesh did step a little closer to the eyes-and-ears, if only to show Valadin Asha'man where his sentiments resided.

"I know that you think me, anyone who can channel, important because of the Last Battle, but I say to you that all are valuable. The mast is no more important than the oldest plank of the ship. Everything must be together to reach the destination. The Tower cannot lose the support and confidence of the eyes-and-ears. That is what will happen if we just walk away from these people today. I implore you to reconsider sir. Let us be the ones that prove the title true, that we are guardians, and we take care of our own. The Tower is our Clan, and you don't leave the Clan just because there's storm."

There was a spark in Taesh's eyes again. A spark of assurance in his stance and thought. A spark of defiance at the injustice he perceived. And a spark of pride at being able to stand up for what was right.

Sean
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Sean » May 12th, 2016, 5:46 pm

Durlaen’s admonishment—and it was an admonishment—did not go unheeded however much Valadin feigned to be testing the feel of the saber in his hand. His body made the assessment naturally without need for conscious thought devoted to the effort; the hard won product of many hours spent on the sands and nearly as many shedding blood on the field of battle. Not as white-spined as I had thought then, Val decided after a final practice stroke produced a satisfying sound.

When finally the shop fell still save for the sounds and cries of everyday life continuing outside, Val fixed his stare on the Soldier. The eyes and ears studied him with a visible disapproval, but her opinion warranted no consideration. To have Durlaen’s disdain…was worth a mite more. It was this fact and the realization that Nykkolaia would have voiced similar sentiment had she been present. Imagining that the Bond quivered in agreement he sighed wearily despite the pent up energy churning his innards. “Penance it will be, Soldier Durlaen,” Val replied, eyes never leaving the deeply tanned visage of his charge. “We will follow this path you choose to walk. Know that it will not be one free of hardship, but even if you regret it later it will be as you say.”

Despite the illusion of implication the statement was without deeper meaning; it was a declaration of fact. Even now, the city guard rooted about the market place seeking to catch their ‘criminals’ with all the fervor of hunting dogs with prey in sight. Leaving the shop now was unwise. Their emergence would immediately be met noticed given that the alert would have made its rounds to most citizens by now. Sympathetic to the occupation or not, it was unlikely anyone would risk their livelihood no matter how limited it was to save enemies of the Seanchan empire.

Staying doesn’t offer much in the way of safety either, Val thought, eyes sweeping to wear the merchant was well lathered in perspiration by now. Darkening spots seeped through the once fine cloth, twisting it with moisture. “Is there any way you might be convinced to offer us shelter?”

If the fear had kept the man’s wits about him, anger brought the sharp cunning that underlay mercantile success. “Yes. A deal might be struck…you get safety and I—”

The sentence fell short of completion as Valadin’s sword arm abruptly moved the saber’s point just below the fleshy underside of the merchant’s chin. “Your life seems suitable enough bargain for your aid.” Eyes narrowing he added, “Unless you find it a thing of little value in which case we’re of similar opinion.”

Fury burned at the edge of the words, the embers of rage threatening to flare into uncontrolled conflagration once more. Val noticed how labored his breathing had become, but not out fatigue. Rather he felt himself nearly quivering with the need to let loose the deadly skill ingrained into his body in in a bloody liberation from rules and oaths. Neither warranting heeding the Fury whispered.

With the same deftness for haggling that probably made his wealth possible, the merchant turned his gaze on the other pair in the room. “Please I ask only for you to carry some goods to clients beyond the Almoth. Do this for me and I will provide safe passage to Falme this night!” The sword point pressed even further out of Val’s dislike for the greasy, if not savvy talent the wretch had for producing convincing lies to save his neck. “I’ll even find your allies and provide them the same service—ack! Wait! I can do this! I can!!

Asha’man!” the woman called at his back, but Valadin barely heard her over the pounding of blood ringing in his head.

“What reason do we have to believe him? If he betrays us then we’re finished. I would say it better we set out for the meeting point at Dark. Until that time we remain here; certain that at least we can defend ourselves. Better to face them with one access to the building than trapped amidst an ambush.”

Terror claimed the merchant’s features as he pressed against the walls, his eyes widening. One of the guards stirred with a moan, but did not move to rise. Even he had, it would have taken less than nothing to put the fools down.

Now the agent was at his side, her gaze though piercing had little effect on Val’s impression of things. “Ser, we cannot do this. We are better served taking his proposal. Killing a man would only further ingratiate the people of Toman Head to the Seanchan.”

“Yet it would prove the Grey Tower can strike down its enemies at any time, even at the heart of their so-called empire.”

Kenneth
"Lord of Chaos"

Post by Kenneth » May 13th, 2016, 10:54 pm

“Yet it would prove the Grey Tower can strike down its enemies at any time, even at the heart of their so-called empire.”

Taesh was growing tired, physically and otherwise. He did not understand this belief that violence answered everything that the Asha'man seemed to operate in, and it was wearing on him. The fact that they were all in a very dangerous situation was not helping to soothe the young Atha'an Miere's nerves at all. The thought of all the penance he was acquiring was just an extra weight upon the heaviness of the day. Already in the shallows, might as well dive into the depths Taesh thought to himself, sighing heavily.

"And if we strike at the heart of the Empire, and it is not a crippling blow, what do you think will happen Valadin Asha'man?" the Soldier responded, his exasperation with the entire situation clear in his tone. "My mother always said that you don't attack another ship unless you are sure you can sink it. If we kill this merchant, what will these Seanchan do? Do you believe they will cower within their borders? From all evidence, I believe that is the least likely thing they will do."

Taesh looked at the frightened merchant with sympathy. "He may be no one to the Patter now, but his death may be the thread that weaves us into a war we are no prepared for. What will happen if his people interpret his death not as a warning but as a challenge. Is the Grey Tower prepared to protect itself and those beholden to it? Is the life of this man worth the risk? Is this the storm you stake the ship on?" Taesh finished, clearly shaken but firm in his argument. "You have him scared, and you have shown that you can at least reach him wherever he may go. He looks to be at least smart enough to be concerned with his own life, I think we can trust him to do as he says. The most assured bargains are the ones that involve the negotiators life. He will not steer us wrong."

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik