Be a Warder (Solo/Fanfic)

The World outside the Grey Tower is a vast place.
Jack
"Lord of Chaos"
PC: Malcym Ashe

Be a Warder (Solo/Fanfic)

Post by Jack » April 24th, 2016, 6:57 am

(Or in Which Sojin Majere receives advice from a Grey Asha'man during the events of Things Fall Apart; The Centre Cannot Hold: http://www.grey-tower.net/Board/viewtop ... =11&t=1454).

“I don't like it.”

Sojin looked up from a map of the immediate Blightborder, his sapphire eyes landing on the grizzled face of Commander Alnar, the man in charge of the Saldeaean outpost he and Miahala had ridden out to help.

The man was looking at the courtyard and the small stream of troops that entered.

Below, stood a tall, broadshouldered man watching as the soldiers came through. First it was the two bannermen bearing a unique standard. One was the crest of House Walker, a silver fox rampant on a field of green and the other the golden hawk on a field of white and fringed by blue.

“Which one,” Sojin murmured, his eyes returning to the map. Miahala was insistent upon getting underway to find the source of a Trolloc horde that had nearly overwhelmed this place not one day ago.

“Either,” the veteran commander answered. “I don't disrespect your kin, Gaidin, but to ally with the Seanchan … “

Sojin chuckled and looked sideways at the man. “Ten years ago, I would have agreed wholeheartedly. An army marched on the Caralain and Walker Manor with one mission: destroy a man who had become a myth once and for all. And now they are married into House Walker and restored the manor brick for brick, stone for stone.”

The commander nodded at the broadshouldered man in the courtyard beneath them. “And the Asha'man, can he be trusted?”

“He's a Grey,” Sojin murmured, his eyes surveying the field below. Soldiers were streaming in. First two strange beasts with wings and their handlers, followed by armed troops and horsemen. “He was trained by a man who could deliver as much damage as Miahala Sedai and put most less experienced Greens to shame. He'll be useful while Miahala Sedai and I are out hunting.”

Hunting was a tame expression for what they wanted to accomplish. The Trolloc horde that attacked had all but been devastated by Miahala's actions, but at the cost of her collapsing.

What was worse was that this stronghold already suffered from similar attacks and appeared to be the focal point for coordinated Trolloc attacks along the Saldaea border.

Upon her waking, there was a choice: root out whatever was causing the attacks or stay and defend this place. Either required renewed supplies and troops, something that couldn't be promised from Maradon in time.

So it was either the Grey Tower, the Citadel or House Walker. Given that the Amyrlin Seat's presence in the Borderlands would send the Hall of Sitters into a fit, let alone draw the presence of the First Seeker and a cadre of battlechannelers who would send the woman packing, alerting the first two were out of the question.

House Walker could spare supplies and some armsmen, including skilled Seanchan troops.

The Asha'man's eyes lifted toward the small watch tower, meeting Sojin's sapphire eyes.

“If you will excuse me, Commander, I must go greet your new guests,” he murmured. “Balen Asha'man will make the appropriate introductions when you are ready.”

Commander Alnar nodded before returning to his own work, which included surveying how badly the walls were damaged. During the last attack Miahala's weaves had sunk the earth, causing the walls to do the same. It was a better option than what Sojin had suggested — collapse the entire northern wall if necessary.

Sojin made his way down from the battlements, his eyes taking in the Saldaean troops as he went. They were weary, beaten and battered from the nonstop attacks. It was only in the last day that they caught a wink of sleep, perhaps in part to Miahala's actions. Destroying a large horde outright tended to cause a enemy to rethink their plans for attack.

Of course he couldn't argue with the results, but her actions were also a bit foolish. If she had not had a Warder to watch her back, she would have been skewered on the spot.

And why are you running away? retorted a thought. He pushed it aside, intent in his decision. The silver-haired Gaidin had traveled with Miahala since she left the Grey Tower in search of peace of mind among her kin, and along the way found himself becoming more … attached to her than he cared to admit.

At the same time, it also made him come to terms with the simple fact that he did not belong in the Yards. He was leaving the Grey Tower and Hama Valon for good.

But first he would see her safely through this and back to her family, and perhaps the Tower if she wished the company. But he would not venture past its outer border.

He approached Balen as the Asha'man stood, observing the troops and obviously holding the gateway open for the troops. They filled the courtyard to the extend that they were ushered away to make room.

The tall Andoran Asha'man looked sideways at the Warder and smiled slightly. “Sojin Gaidin, as you call, the Grey Tower so answers.”

Sojin bowed slightly in respect to the older man — who by all appearances might as well have been in his twenties if not for the ageless look.

“You mean, my message reached my nephew and he responded after you advised him of the possible boon this will provide his House,” Sojin said. The Grey Asha'man nodded, his blue eyes dancing with some amusement.

“He sends his love and best wishes, and the Lady Tiresa her respects,” the Asha'man said as he measured the amount of soldiers streaming through. “They wish you to know that she is with child and will be naming it after you if it's a boy.”

The Gaidin almost groaned. He couldn't argue, though, given he had supported the marriage over Jerid Asha'man's objections. His father had no say in the politics of their House any longer.

“How many armsmen could my dear nephew part with,” Sojin asked.
“Four hundred men-at-arms, three raken, and the Asha'man,” answered a surprisingly crisp, if somewhat slurred voice.

Sojin's eyes turned to see a young woman dressed in lacquered Seanchan mail. She was armed with a slender, curved blade and held a helmet in one hand. Her rose-gold hair fell to her shoulders in a braid and a pair of emerald eyes peered from a gorgeous face. If not for the armor and accent, Sojin would not have placed her as Seanchan simply by the hair style alone.

“Sojin Gaidin, may I present Captain Simone Lyiena, youngest sister to the Lady Tiresa of House Walker and the High Blood of the Seanchan Empire this side of the Aryth Ocean, mistress of arms for House Walker,” Balen said respectfully. “Captain, this is Sojin Majere Gaidin, first of his name, son of the Lord Jerid Walker Asha'man, first of his name, First Seeker of the Indigo Ajah of the Grey Tower, the Fox of Ebou Dar and defender of the Light.”

The young officer looked Sojin up and down, as if evaluating him, and grunted in slight approval. “Captain Majere, the man who led the cavalry at the Battle of the Caralain twelve years ago against a contingent of the Ever Victorious Army,” she said simply. “My brother fought in that battle and barely escaped with his life. You did him honor that day.”

The overwhelming amount of information was a bit much for the trained Gaidin to take in. His mind simply wrapped around the first set of data as he attempted to sort through the rest.

“Sojin Gaidin will do,” Sojin murmured, looking at the number of troops coming through. “Four hundred? Can the Caralain spare that many? I was expecting a hundred men.”

Before Balen could respond, the young woman spoke up. She was in front of the Gaidin, and despite her small stature (her head only came to his chest), she drew his gaze without an effort.

“Lord Walker felt that this place warranted defense,” Tiresa said. “Saldaea is a valued trading partner and acts as a shield between the Shadow and the rest of the land. The Ever Victorious Army has nearly two thousand men and women in the Caralain, so we can spare this many.”

The last of the soldiers streamed through along with the supplies and Balen closed the gateway.

“Miahala will not like this,” Sojin muttered. The young Seanchan woman looked at him strangely before begging excuse to see to the troops.

“How is she?” Balen asked after a moment. “The message you sent sounded as if she had exhausted herself.”

Sojin nodded, looking at the Seanchan officer. “She did, but she is determined and recovering. We expect to be riding out at first light. Of course, when she sees this ...”

Balen smirked. “Two thousand soldiers, their families, and twice as many civilians. There's a town growing up around Walker Manor, and they are spreading out into House Walker's lands, helping to rebuild what their brethren destroyed a decade ago.”

“Does it worry you, that they manage to invade by way of peace where force failed,” Sojin asked softly.

Balen tilted his head before shaking it. “It did, at first, but they are helping. This was the price in return for their release of all damane … that's nearly two hundred people who were released to either the Grey Tower or the Aiel Wise Ones. They give up a powerful position in the Seanchan Empire and in return ...”

“ … they get a foothold in one of Andor's most powerful border families,” Sojin murmured. “Miahala is going to kill me.”

Balen looked at Sojin with a knowing smile. “You refer to the Amyrlin on such familiar terms. You must be getting along quite famously.”

Sojin blinked and shook his head. “We shared the road for a good while, and she isn't like most Amyrlin Seats,” he murmured.

“Aye, enough to refer to her by name,” the Grey murmured. “And enough to share more than the road, it seems.” He held up a hand to stall any further words. “Your face says it all, Sojin, and I will not judge or inquire. Despite what people think, the Amyrlin Seat is as human as the rest of us. The only one who seemed above that was Amora.”

“She was not so perfect,” Sojin muttered, much to Balen's amusement.

“A Seanchan as mistress of arms,” the Gaidin asked after a moment, looking at Tiresa once more. “We give so much ...”

“ … and they give in return. Supplies, gold, manpower to rebuild Walker Manor. Compromises are necessary.”

Balen paused for a moment, before his eyes went to the battlements above. Sojin's gaze followed and he saw Miahala standing there, observing the scene below her.

“Rumor has it you will be leaving for the Citadel after you two finish your mission,” Balen murmured, bowing in respect before the Flame of the Grey Tower. “Morgan would gladly see you return home.”

Sojin shook his head. “I won't be bound up in silk and stuck behind some desk as an adviser, or worse, following a Seanchan's orders.”

Balen smiled. “Morgan would name you master of arms once more, a place in his court, and you would free me to return home and talk some sense into your father.”

Sojin tilted his head briefly and Balen's smile vanished. “Jerid Walker has been neglecting his duties and there are whispers that he may lose the confidence of his Ajah. Ten people have died in search of your sister's murderer, including two of my own informants.”

The Gaidin sighed and almost spoke, but Balen overrode him. “Besides, there appears nothing to be left for you at the Tower, and House Walker could use someone like you,” he murmured. His eyes went to the Seanchan captain. “And you would be a much more preferable match for her than Cade ever would be.”

“That will never happen,” Sojin said abruptly. He wasn't sure if he was talking about himself or his brother. But then he suspected that Balen knew neither Jerid or Lysira Walker would stand for an arranged marriage of their son. The latter would likely set fire to Walker Manor before seeing her son in an unhappy situation.

“She's a good person, Sojin, and one who probably would get along with you in time,” Balen murmured. “It's a good match … unless ….”

Sojin's eyes turned toward the Grey, who only shrugged. “In the last five months I've seen you more alive than in the ten years you served as High Seat, and it is because of that woman up there,” Balen said simply. “Yet you are willing to leave the Grey Tower for a simpler life.”

“Asha'man, don't ...”

The larger man spun the Warder about to face the Amrylin Seat above. “No Warder would voluntarily go out of his way to willingly watch after the Amyrlin Seat if she returned home. No, they would be very much like your father: see that she return to the Grey Tower and immediately send word as to such,” Balen said. “You … you risk the wrath of the Hall of Sitters, your father and the Warder Council itself for allowing this, for allowing her some sense of normality. Why did you not do your duty, Warder, and see her safely back to the Tower?”

The last words came across sharply, almost a Ajah Head demanding an answer. Sojin bristled and turned on the Grey.

“She isn't a prize bird to be caged, Balen Ashe,” he growled. “Before anything else, before this role was thrust upon her, she was an Aes Sedai of the Green Ajah who commanded the respect of every Ajah and people of these lands. She did what she pleased and that should not change.”

Balen stood his ground and didn't flinch. Rather, he was quite blunt. “Then, Warder, do your duty and be her Warder,” he roared. At that moment, the courtyard should have reacted, but it didn't. The Grey had warded the two of them.

Sojin blinked and then squared his shoulders. Balen cut him off with a slash of his hand. “You are not Caden Ives, and you can never replace him,” the Grey said. “You loved, you lost, and you ran from two bonds you thought yourself unworthy of, and now you punish yourself for it.”

He drew closer to the Gaidin, his blue eyes hard as ice. “I lost my Warder but you don't see me bemoaning how I should never bond again. I did and she is back at Walker Manor acting as a captain at this moment. Light, even your father took some much heeded advise from Liana, Lembirt and Caithlan to bond Sienna Calin. The man won't even take two steps into battle without Lysira.”

The Grey didn't relent, grabbing Sojin's shoulder tightly to keep him in place. “Caden Ives trained you himself to be the Warder you are today, a man you yourself said you looked in the eye even though you feared him so. You were a trainee when Saphire en'Damier was kidnapped and you risked life and limb to rescue her, convinced your father to summon a force of Aes Sedai, Asha'man and his own Soldiers and Dedicated into battle against thirteen Dreadlords and Fades.”

He nodded his head toward the Amyrlin Seat, who appeared to be making her way down the battlements and ultimately toward them.

“Most Warders could only dream of having the rapport you share with Miahala of the Green, let alone Asha'man,” Balen murmured. “Yet you piss it away like some Gaidin who treats bonds like chattle.”

Sojin stiffened and his free hand went to his sword hilt. “If you were any other man ...”

Balen's grip tightened on his shoulder. “You're worse than those you beat for that thinking, Sojin Majere. You think you are beyond the need for a bond and below it. You keep your fancloak as a symbol of shame and you do injustice to it as such.”

Sojin flinched, the words hitting deep. “I ...”

“You will never replace Caden Ives, no one can,” Balen murmured. “But you can be the Gaidin he trained you to be and know that he would approve of the path you could take. If not, then return to the Caralain and do justice by what I previously suggested.”

At that he released the Gaidin from his grip and turned. “The choice is yours, Warder. I suggest you make it soon.”
Jerid Walker Asha'man
"We all suffer. It's how we move past it that defines us."

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik