Travelling with a veritable Mad man [Attn: Murdock]

The World outside the Grey Tower is a vast place.
Cheiron
"The Fires of Heaven"
PC: Seth Arcuraim
SC: Samuel Falchin

Travelling with a veritable Mad man [Attn: Murdock]

Post by Cheiron » February 29th, 2016, 12:28 am

Seth Arcuraim Various items of clothing lay strewn across the room where they had been left once their owner had returned from another trip. They didn't end up like that for malice, rather Seth had been trying to find something in his bag and had been walking around his apartment pulling them out as he went. Once he had found the elusive object he left his apartments, which looked like one of those learning Cloud-Dancing had been practicing. Seth turned the item in his hand, it was a bizarre coin, a small gold mark, one that had two heads on it, one on each side. It amused Seth that whoever had minted the coin had been paying so very little attention while they were doing it to make such a mistake.

Strolling through the corridors of the Grey Tower, he was eventually beset by Soti Elonid

"Brother, I was wondering when I would see you next," the other man started. "There is a young Dedicated who I believe might benefit from some travel with you."

Seth pursed his lips, and gave Soti a sideways glance. Seth placed the two-headed coin on his turned fist and gave it a flick, tossing it high in the air. Catching it he made to look as though he was making some important decision based on the toss of the coin. Turning back to Soti he gave the other man a nod, and walked away.

"The Dedicated is tall with dark brown hair and eyes, and seems restless. I've accidentally forgotten his name, but I'll let you know if you can't find him before you leave again. I feel that leaving the Tower with an Asha'man might help him find himself."

Seth paused briefly and rolled his eyes. Tall and dark brown hair and eyes could describe any number of Dedicated. He resisted the urge to shout back just how unhelpful that description was. What was Seth supposed to do, pluck a random tall, dark haired Dedicated at random and whisk him away on some adventure for a few months?

That's exactly what I'll do, and light blind Soti if he complains that I took the wrong Dedicated with me.

Strolling with purpose into the Mess Hall where the Dedicated and Accepted took their meals, Seth gave a brief glance around the room until he saw a man that matched the description, and made his way through the throng.

"You've just been nominated to come with me," was all Seth said, laying his hand on the other man's shoulder.

Light blind Soti if this isn't the man he wanted me to take.
I might be Yellow, but I'm probably braver than you.

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Murdock Mather, Keeper of the Archives
SC: Nathaniel Carridus, Asha'man (Blue)
TC: Maever Donovan, Asha'man (Yellow)

Re: Travelling with a veritable Mad man [Attn: Murdock]

Post by Matty » February 29th, 2016, 11:43 am

Murdock was ready for a nap. Naps were something he had enjoyed as a child, treasured as a father (because it meant the girls were all asleep too), and looked forward to as the girls grew older and he had more time on his hands. At the Grey Tower there simply wasn't the time to nap, but he did have a free period which so far hadn't been filled in with extra time in the Infirmary or teaching random Soldiers idiot lessons an Asha'man would be more suited for.

First though he had to get through this meal. Mealtimes ought to be his favourite time, but he didn't much have the stomach for eating as of late. It was always a little too noisy in this room for his liking and the whole sociable aspect did not sit well with the man. More and more he preferred a dark corner to brood dramatically; brooding over a dead wife was very difficult when you were stuffing your face with questionable meats and unknown generic root vegetables.

So there he sat, eating away at whatever sort of stew this was. Meat and vegetables all tasted the same, bread making little difference. Head down, walking stick by his side, he was eager to stop being hungry - not quite the same as being full - so he could stop eating and leave this place.

Little did he know that he would be leaving, a different way to what he had expected.

He wasn't going to pretend he knew the Asha'man who had placed a hand on his shoulder. Murdock straightened upright and looked behind him to see a smiling man, someone who looked rather pleased with himself for some reason. That was never a good sign with an Asha'man.

Had the Master of Soldiers seen fit for him to attend more work with the Yellow Ajah? Murdock had little interest in the Ajah but had never said so - he had no interest in any of them - so it was assumed he would go where his Healing skills could be put to the best use. Oh well, whatever the reason he had to smile and go along with it. "Yes sir," he said, not minding his unfinished food as he grabbed his stick and got to his feet. The trainees around him had given their salutes but carried on eating, probably glad that they hadn't earned this Asha'man's attentions. Lucky them. So much for a nap... on his feet properly now, the tall man gave a salute before returning to leaning on his stick. His other hand went to finger his wedding band, and when he spoke again it was with a deep, quiet voice that was typical of the generally solemn man. "Dedicated Murdock, sir. Is there anything I need to bring?" His sword was in his room, he hadn't given much thought to it since his arches and his leg injury. He could walk as quickly as the rest of the Tower if needed, though it did ache and there wasn't much chance he could try out those bloody sword forms without falling on his face.
------ Murdock -------------- Nathaniel --------------- Maever -------

Cheiron
"The Fires of Heaven"

Post by Cheiron » February 29th, 2016, 11:15 pm

Seth gave a sideways glance at the man he had just picked out of the crowd. Walking stick and a solemn face, it nearly made Seth cringe. He was stuck with his decision, but hopefully by the end of the trip, even if this wasn't the man he was supposed to have taken with him, he would get a smile on the man's face. Perhaps, even see if he could do anything about whatever was wrong that the other man needed a walking stick. Seth looked further back to the still full bowl of stew, and jokingly said,

"A full stomach would be a start. After that, pack a bag with whatever clothes you have. Don't bother with your uniform, though don't forget your pin. When you're packed and ready to go, meet me at the Travelling Grounds."

With that dismissal, Seth wended his way back out of the Mess Hall and made for his apartment to repack his own bags.

It was quite obvious that the servants paid attention to when Seth returned from his travels because he had been gone from his rooms for no more than halfway between bells and his room was put together again as though he hadn't strewn the contents of his packs across the floor. He found his travelling bags, clothes, and changed out of his Asha'man attire. All up, by the time he had finished putting his pack together and had put his cloak on, two bells had chimed. Putting his hat on his head and shouldering his cases and packs, Seth walked out of his apartment again.

He didn't know where to go when they left the Tower. He usually threw a knife at a map and made a Gateway in his room. Seth spent the rest of the time trying to think of random places they could go. There was only a small list of places Seth knew that he could travel to that he hadn't yet revisited, some of which were in his native Amadicia. He would probably have his hide tanned by Soti if he took a Dedicated into potentially hostile territory.

Seth didn't know as he rounded the Tower whether he was going to be first or second of the two to arrive at the Travelling Grounds. He didn't know just how eager the other man would be.

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Matty » February 29th, 2016, 11:36 pm

This Asha’man didn’t seem all that serious, and that was a little concerning for Murdock. He knew very little about this man and now they were packing to leave the Grey Tower completely. No uniform. Extra clothes. This was no mere jaunt they were going on.

“Yes sir,” he said to the instructions, seeing no point in arguing. When the Asha’man left him at his table to finish his stew, he took his seat and grimaced a little at the looks he was getting. Time to try and be sociable. “What was that man’s name?” he asked one of the Soldiers.

“That was Asha’man Seth, one of the Yellows. He’s not around much.” That was all the Soldier had to say on the matter, apparently a little bemused that Murdock didn’t know who the man was. If he was never around, of course he wouldn’t know who the man was! Murdock grunted some thanks and began to eat his stew again, supposing he would need the strength to deal with whatever in the Light it was the man had planned. He did manage half a bowl but with time pressing on him, the Dedicated opted to leave it there and go pack his things.

Not that he had many possessions. As a Dedicated he did have some of his personal effects which he had taken along from his home at the Black Tower, so a few changes of clothing, some spare boots and a bit of coin weren’t beyond him. It was easy to change into some simple garb, dark brown trousers with a light shirt, a long brown coat cut in the Far Madding style over it all. He wore it open, but closed it would button to his chin. His bag contained a change of clothes and, in spite of Asha’man Seth’s words, he did take his uniform... just in case it was needed. Pin included. He had the room for it and one never knew when they had to represent the Grey Tower.

With that done, off to the Travelling Grounds the man went. Now he had a bag packed and he was ready to leave, the entire trip felt a little more exciting than it did before, when it felt like... nothing more than an idle instruction to perform more chores. Perhaps a change of scenery would be good, Giselle had always said it would be nice to get out of Far Madding and see a bit of the world. In the end the only bit of the world she saw was the Black Tower, the Light burn those curs to ash. Murdock hoped they saw no men from that Tower on their travels, wherever they may go.

Asha’man Seth was already waiting for him, which was to be expected. Murdock picked up his pace, making his way over with his stick and a look of determination on his face. “Reporting for duty sir,” he said. “Ahh, whatever that duty may be. Can I ask what you have planned?” Because if there was anything Murdock was half decent at, it was Healing and that was probably it. But a Yellow didn’t need Murdock for that, surely? Murdock did get the strange feeling that he had almost been chosen, er, at random, but surely that wasn’t the case because that simply made no sense at all.

Cheiron
"The Fires of Heaven"

Post by Cheiron » March 4th, 2016, 4:28 am

He should have expected he would be the first to arrive, but Seth didn't have to wait long for his companion to arrive on the scene. The other man's statements made Seth laugh inwardly. He never had a plan until the last minute if he could help it. It made life more interesting for him to never know where he was going. As long as he had his harp, flute, and voice, he was set. Seth even had a feeling of satisfaction whenever he thought about having several hundred years of doing what he did to look forward to.

Seth grinned, his broad smile reaching ear to ear. He fluttered his technicolor cloak, a light breeze catching it as he did so.

"No plans, we go where the Wheel weaves us. Pick a country, any country. Pick a city, pick a village. Pick a backwater tributary creek and we can go from there. The point is, an adventure is more fun if you don't know what to expect."

Seth winked and grinned again. It didn't matter how many times he did it, beginning a journey was always his favourite part. He wondered how his new companion was feeling, and realized he didn't even have the man's name. He began laughing maniacally.

"I don't even have your name yet," Seth managed to say between bouts of laughter. "I am Asha'man Seth Arcuraim of the Yellow Ajah."

His cerulean eyes glittered in the sunlight as he awaited the man's response. Seth raised his hand to his head to stop his hat from flying off as a sudden gust rushed through the Travelling grounds.

"Where should we start? You pick."

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Matty » March 4th, 2016, 11:14 am

It didn't take long for that sense of budding excitement to freeze and wither. This man had no set plan. He had just plucked the Dedicated up and was going... Light only knew where. What in the Light was this supposed to be, some harebrained scheme to shake things up for Murdock? No, the tall man was starting to appreciate that some sort of structure or desired outcome was not on the cards for this man. And that was before he saw the colourful cloak, something he had not seen before but recognised from tales enough to know what it symbolised.

Staying at the Grey Tower suddenly seemed like a much better idea than it did before, but Murdock kept his expression stoic. As a city guard you had to remain neutral, even when you weren't feeling quite so calm on the inside. Why was the man so bloody happy about everything?

Picking somewhere to go wasn't the difficult part for Murdock. No, the tough part came when Asha'man Seth started laughing and, with the sort of amusement that set the Dedicated's teeth on edge, declared that he didn't know Murdock's name. And in spite of his amusement he was no doubt quite serious about that, and it didn't sit well with Murdock at all. Maybe if he'd been a little apologetic or even slightly flippant about not having his name, he could work with it. As it was though, Murdock's response was a little more curt than he had intended.

"My name is Murdock, something I told you when you first approached me." He wasn't overly fond of repeating himself. Light, this was going to be one harebrained adventure which would more likely get him killed than teach him anything useful. Surely his time would be better spent in consistent, useful training in the Grey Tower than out in the big, wide world if this was the Asha'man taking him? "I took your name from a trainee."

If he was going to have to go through with this, then it may as well be somewhere Murdock could benefit from. Not Far Madding, he doubted that would be a good idea what with Giselle's family and his daughters and his own inept nature, but there was Saldaea. "I have some uncles in Maradon," he said. "I'd like to go there." It made more sense to him than anywhere else in the world at this point in time, mostly because he had no idea where else he would want to visit. Without Giselle he saw little point in enjoying those places, but seeing some distant family might help put things into perspective. Life in the Borderlands was said to be different and House Mather, such as it was, would no doubt be the ideal safe place to try and look past his current hangups.

As if his words sealed his fate, the wind gusted anew, and he clasped his hands together atop his walking stick to keep them warm.

Cheiron
"The Fires of Heaven"

Post by Cheiron » March 5th, 2016, 2:53 am

"A decision based on family ties," Seth replied. "It's been a few years since I was last at Maradon myself. To be quite perfectly honest I was on my way home from Maradon just before I came to the Tower."

Seth smiled, the twinkle in his eye never betraying the deep sadness from that fateful trip. The Dedicated need not know that much though. When Murdock said he had already given his name, Seth realised he hadn't noticed. He had been caught in the moment of satisfaction of having picked someone to travel with.

Casting his gaze across the grounds, Seth waited a few moments to see if Soti had caught wind that he was already on his way from the Tower again. He hadn't even bothered to tell the man that he had picked a Dedicated to take with him. Spying a Novice passing by he called out,

"Novice, if you would please. Let Asha'man Soti, the Master of Soldiers know that Asha'man Seth will be travelling with Dedicated Murdock."

And let him know where he can shove his switch if Murdock isn't the Dedicated he wanted me to take.

Returning his focus to Murdock, he smiled and just as quickly his face took on a look of surprise, his eyebrows shooting toward his hairline.

"I almost forgot."

He dug his hands into his bag and pulled out a silver ring. Seizing saidin he twisted threads of spirit through it and handed the band to Murdock.

"Put that on and don't take it off. I've put a tracking weave on it so that I can find you if you wander off on your own and I need to find you."

Turning to the Travelling grounds behind him, Seth threw together the travelling weave and opened a Gateway to a hill a few miles from Maradon.

"Let the adventure begin!" Seth exclaimed, stepping through onto the grass on the other side.

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Matty » March 6th, 2016, 11:24 pm

Asha’man Seth didn’t seem at all put out at Murdock pointing out him having to repeat his name, and at this point the Dedicated couldn’t help but think he was simply a little... not quite all there. Scatterbrained, or maybe he’d been channelling when the Taint had ruined Saidin for anyone who touched it? Murdock didn’t know and whilst the man prodded at a Novice to pass a message on for him to the Master of Soldiers, he didn’t have much confidence in how well this trip was going to go. At least if he died, the Master of Soldiers knew who he was last in the company of.

It shouldn’t come to that though surely, Murdock thought to himself, eyebrows shooting up in imitation of his Asha’man guide’s as he was given a ring. The weaves of Spirit he recognised, sort of, not enough to emulate them himself though. The silver ring, he regarded warily for a second before working out which finger it would suit best. Of course, it would go just fine next to his wedding band. The Creator had a twisted sense of humour, allowing him to put the silver ring atop the gold so they were sat next to one another like confused brothers. This was reassuring, it was a Plan B for in case they were separated. Murdock would have liked one for Asha’man Seth, but it was probably a little rude to do the same thing in return and besides which, he didn’t know the weave.

A Gateway spun into being before them and Murdock gave it a cursory glance before he walked on through – he’d had his experiences with Gateways before, enough to not stare at them wide-eyed like a bewildered child. The thing that did make his eyes widen a little was the fact that they weren’t anywhere near Maradon, instead they appeared to be in the back end of Light knows where. A cool wind made the Dedicated shiver, colder than Hama Valon, and he was starting to wish he had a horse. Or that he had taken his meal in his room.

“Yes, let the adventure begin,” he muttered as he began to walk, leaning on his stick and trying not to glower. Instead he wore his “I’m concentrating” face, because in all fairness it was far more difficult to walk along a grassy hill than it was the training ground or the halls at the Grey Tower.

But this grassy landscape did not in fact go on for miles without end. They weren’t all too far from a road which looked to be fairly well travelled judging by the grooves in the dirt, and as a small cart appeared to be trundling in their direction, Murdock did reassess whether or not the Creator was the son of a trolloc or not. “Sir, perhaps we should ask this farmer if we can accompany him on his cart.” And hope he didn’t ask where they came from, to be wandering about on the grass.

Cheiron
"The Fires of Heaven"

Post by Cheiron » March 16th, 2016, 11:59 pm

"That we could, Murdock," Seth replied, his eyes fixing on the cart that the other man had pointed out. It would certainly get them into Maradon faster. Seth had picked the hill knowing it was out of the way of unwary travellers that could've been sliced if they had've been where Seth opened the Gateway. It also meant he didn't have to explain why a Gleeman was appearing out of a Gateway, he liked being able to wear different cloaks without anyone knowing he was both.

"Hello, there!" He bellowed, the exclamation echoing across the grassy terrain to the road.

The driver looked up to the hill and waved.

"Would you mind if we rode with you to Maradon?" Seth shouted.

The driver waved them to come forward, and slowed his cart to a stop. Seth bounded to the cart, still somewhat aware that Murdock would only be trundling. It was because of that slower pace from Murdock that Seth had silently agreed to call to the driver for a ride.

Upon arriving at the cart, Seth smiled at the driver, and fluttered his cloak.

"Thank you, kind sir. As you can see my friend has trouble walking, and as we have come a long way, it may have made him tired. We would like to get to Maradon before nightfall, but with the pace we've set, it isn't likely on foot."

He wasn't lying, though he didn't tell the whole truth. Seth gave another dazzling smile while he waited for Murdock to arrive too.

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Matty » March 17th, 2016, 2:58 pm

The good news was that the cart stopped. Excellent! No more walking to Maradon, thank the Light. The bad news was that now the cart was waiting for them, and the Asha'man was bounding away at a near gallop, leaving Murdock to limp his way down after him like... like an old man. Sigh. The Dedicated wasn't sure what they discussed whilst he made his way down the hill as quickly as he dared with his stick, and he wasn't sure he wanted to either as the driver turned to give him a sympathetic look when he finally reached them.

"Light illuminate you," Murdock said as he tossed the stick into the back of the cart and hauled himself up. It was bundled with hay but not so much that they couldn't sit on it and still talk to the driver, who waited for them to get in and be comfortable before he set off again. This is far better than walking. Murdock didn't mind walking, he was simply not a fan of walking for miles on end.

"So what brings you folk to Maradon?" the driver asked, after general introductions were made - he went by the name of Petro. Saldaean, but not from Maradon.

"We're here to visit family," Murdock said, which seemed like the best answer to give. Telling him they were stray channellers from the Grey Tower seemed like a poor idea. The driver looked at them both a little more closely over his shoulder, but then his eyes were back on the dirt road. Murdock shrugged at nobody and tried to make his leg more comfortable. Light burn the bloody limb sometimes.

"Fair enough. What happened to your leg?"

Murdock tried not to pull a face. "A sharp dagger and a lot of enthusiasm." The Warder of his daughter he had killed in the Three Arches - imagine explaining that to a simple farmer. Murdock wouldn't have believed it himself.

"I see," the man murmured. "These are troubled times, troubled times indeed. But we have our health, and our loved ones."

Most of them, was Murdock's thought, but he kept that to himself as well. He was going to have to do a lot of tongue holding on this trip it would seem.

Several hours later they were at the gates to Maradon, a city which Murdock supposed he ought to have been more impressed by. The Borderlands were nothing like the south and Far Madding was different to everywhere on top of that. The novelty of the trip ought to have pleased him, but by the time they were dismounting the cart Murdock couldn't feel his bottom and everything else apart from his bad leg was itching for action and movement. A couple of coins were given to the driver for his trouble, and he wished them a safe journey. "If you need an Inn, the Three Bells is good enough for most folk." Murdock had no strong opinion about where to stay, but maybe Asha'man Seth did. Gleemen liked lots of attention and songs and music, so it would have to be somewhere appropriately... opulent. Considering that the Asha'man would have to provide for Murdock wherever they went, he was going to have to defer to the man on the matter, and simply hope he didn't decide they would sleep in a barn or under a hedge. Murdock was too old and set in his ways for that travelling and dwelling drivel.

"So this is Maradon," he said, as he took a look at the street signs, the people walking around them, and the buildings that loomed. It felt foreign now he was plonked in the middle of it all, but there was also a strange sense of familiarity. Dark eyes, strong noses and somewhat fierce expressions met him from all sides and in some ways it was like looking into a mirror. "Did you mention that you've been here before? Was it another whimsical trip of yours?"

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik